EgyptSearch Forums
  Living in Egypt
  do Egyptians understand "fus'ha"?

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   do Egyptians understand "fus'ha"?
lee jones

posted 29 August 2004 05:56 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for lee jones     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
assalamu alaikum
Does the average Egyptian-the-street understand a strange foreigner speaking only classical arabic? I am taking classes only in fus'ha...

IP: Logged

Luxorlover

posted 29 August 2004 06:12 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Luxorlover     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
In Luxor they cannot even understand people from Cairo. (and visa versa)

kimo_the_maniac

posted 29 August 2004 06:48 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for kimo_the_maniac     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
The answer is probably yes. Almost everyone you bump into will understand classical Arabic unless you use big unusual words. Even illiterate people manage to understand it because of the Koran, and news, and so on.

I have to say though (and I am sorry for this) that some people may laugh as a first reaction when they hear someone speaking classical Arabic in the street. If this happens don't take it personally, it's just that they are not used to it.

kimo_the_maniac

posted 29 August 2004 06:49 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for kimo_the_maniac     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luxorlover:
In Luxor they cannot even understand people from Cairo. (and visa versa)

Really? I thought for sure people in Luxor understood Cairene Arabic. It's true though that we can't understand Saiidi Arabic.

Dalia

posted 29 August 2004 08:48 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dalia     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kimo_the_maniac:
The answer is probably yes. Almost everyone you bump into will understand classical Arabic unless you use big unusual words. Even illiterate people manage to understand it because of the Koran, and news, and so on.it.

Yeah, but if you walk up to your local fruitseller and say "Uridu nisf kilo burtuqal." he's probably going to give you a very weird look.

Samia

posted 29 August 2004 09:56 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Samia     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
ok I dont understand fus'ha.... what's it mean????

newcomer

posted 29 August 2004 10:23 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for newcomer     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Wa alaykum salaam lee jones!

If you speak in fusha (classical Arabic for Samia ) and keep the sentences short it will enable you to communicate your basic needs to those who don’t know any English, if you cannot speak in the Egyptian dialect and cannot get away with pointing, but many people may understand you better if you speak in simple English! As people say, you will get strange looks speaking in fusha as people do not use it as a spoken language on the street, but it will be a help until you can pick up useful phrases. Some people may not even realize that you are speaking in Arabic if they hear your foreign accent and may suggest that you learn it, which can be frustrating when you have tried your best to come up with a correct phrase in fusha and pronounce it properly!

I was advised that it is best to learn fusha first and then a dialect, as it is more complex and therefore makes learning the dialect easier, but it depends what your intention is for learning it, whether to speak to people or to read and write.

Dalia

posted 29 August 2004 11:06 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dalia     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
Some people may not even realize that you are speaking in Arabic if they hear your foreign accent and may suggest that you learn it, which can be frustrating when you have tried your best to come up with a correct phrase in fusha and pronounce it properly!
[/B]

You're absolutely right. And I'd like to add that even if you did speak fusha without the slightest trace of an accent people would still often think you're speaking English simply because they don't expect it of a foreigner.

A few phrases in Egyptian dialect might take you further than a few sentences in fusha.

kimo_the_maniac

posted 30 August 2004 09:23 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for kimo_the_maniac     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by newcomer:
Some people may not even realize that you are speaking in Arabic if they hear your foreign accent and may suggest that you learn it, which can be frustrating when you have tried your best to come up with a correct phrase in fusha and pronounce it properly!

You're absolutely right. And I'd like to add that even if you did speak fusha without the slightest trace of an accent people would still often think you're speaking English simply because they don't expect it of a foreigner.

A few phrases in Egyptian dialect might take you further than a few sentences in fusha.

[/B][/QUOTE]

I have to admit that's true. I heard someone speaking once in what was supposed to be Arabic but because it was fusha and the 3ein's, 7a2's, and hamzas were all gone I first thought it was greek or something. And when she told me it was Arabic, I still couldn't understand a word.

But when it's accentless the effect is definitely laughter. I did it once and I felt rotten because the poor guy's Arabic was flawless. I was also confused by something: If someone speaks in classical does that mean I can't reply in Egyptian?

Aaah the joys of diglossia.

newcomer

posted 30 August 2004 09:59 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for newcomer     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
You could reply in Egyptian but it would depend on their level of understanding whether the conversation would go any further!

Luxorlover

posted 30 August 2004 12:31 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Luxorlover     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I had some things arrive in Alexandria that had been sent by sea from England. The Agent rang the family home several times before he could make himself understood. When he eventually got me he said "You ring me next time. There is a woman there who does not speak English and does not speak Arabic either".

He was talking about my partner's mother who had only once been out of the village. She could not understand what he wanted and he could not understand what she was asking him about.

Samia

posted 31 August 2004 11:13 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Samia     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Thanks newcomer!! I thought it was a martial art!!!!