EgyptSearch Forums
  Share Your Egyptian Experiences
  Egyptian soldier and marriage??

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Egyptian soldier and marriage??
esposible

posted 15 October 2003 01:54 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for esposible     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Could a regular egyptian soldier in the army be able to marry a foreigner?

I read that a man serving in the army cannot marry a foreigner.

Also what is this orfi that everyone keeps mentioning in this site?

[This message has been edited by esposible (edited 23 July 2005).]

IP: Logged

Monica

posted 15 October 2003 04:39 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Monica     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hello there, a quick reply for you;

- orfi is NOT a recognized marriage, it is only a way not to be 'annoyed' in Egypt when you are spending time behind closed doors with someone, somewhere.

- a soldier or an officer does NOT have the right to marry a foreigner.

best regards,

Monica

quote:
Originally posted by esposible:
Could a regular egyptian soldier in the army be able to marry a foreigner? Or can an officer in the Egyptian army marry a foreigner? For example could an egyptian marry a morrocan. I read that a man serving in the army cannot marry a foreigner but I
I was told that a soldier, by marrying a foreigner would get have "legal way" to get out of the army ? But in order for that to be valid, the marriage has to be a real marriage not (orfi).
Would the guy be really let go out of the army if he had such marriage with a foreigner or would he actually kicked out? Is any of this true? Or was it BS that I was told??

[This message has been edited by esposible (edited 15 October 2003).]

[This message has been edited by esposible (edited 15 October 2003).]

ExptinCAI

posted 16 October 2003 04:16 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for ExptinCAI     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
i was told by a friend who's an officer, who know of one case...this guy married a foreigner, the army told him you have to divorce her. he would not, so he was released from service. i don't know whether that's "kicked out" or not, but i imagine it's a gentle kicking. he was breaking the rules, so i don't see how it could be an honorable discharge.

akshar

posted 16 October 2003 11:57 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for akshar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Another misconception about ORFI. I am married Orfi. On production of my marriage certificate I get discount on Egypt Air and I don't need a visa to get into the country. I think we can call that recognition. It just doesn't carry the same status.

------------------
UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Accomodation and Tours in Luxor

Shepenwepet

posted 16 October 2003 03:15 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Shepenwepet     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Can anybody explain to me where the term 'Orfi marriage' comes from? I fully understand its meaning but I've never heard the word used in Egypt or anywhere before I visited this board. I'm just curious!

newcomer

posted 16 October 2003 04:42 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for newcomer     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
As far as I know it somes from the Arabic word 'urf, which means custom, convention, tradition, practice; i.e. meaning that it was a customary form of marriage rather than a legal or religious one initially.

esposible

posted 16 October 2003 05:30 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for esposible     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
If a guy is called to go to army, even though he doesn't want to, is that the regular army? How long does one have to serve usually?

Also if a man married a foreigner would that exempt him from army? I mean if a soldier is not allowed (has no 'right') to marry a foreigner, but he still married one, wouldn't that mean that by default he will be exempt? Would he be able to marry her in Egypt or only outside of Egypt?

Can a man who hasn't done the army EVEN travel outside of Egypt?

ExptinCAI

posted 17 October 2003 03:22 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for ExptinCAI     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
you're not talking about regular army, then.

you're talking about mandatory military service, which is typically 1 year...or you have the option of becoming an officer and doing it for 3 yrs, and getting assigned something closer to what you studied in college, etc.

the rules are different. everybody has to do mandatory service (in theory) but as you can see from your friend, there's always lots of schemes cooking up in how to try to get out of it. there's lots and lots of circumstances in the scenario you give, so i don't think you're going to get a straight answer.

if he left the country to marry her, he would be excused...but you can't leave the country until you get permission from army wt the visa, and (unless a student) they usually won't give you permission until you completed your military service... who knows. the rules for mandatory military service are some of the funniest i've heard of...like..you're excused if you're an only son, but not until your father reaches a certain age (like 50s or 60s) so that they are sure you ARE the only son. if your mom dies, doesn't excuse you, as your dad can always remarry and have another boy. LOL.

[This message has been edited by ExptinCAI (edited 17 October 2003).]

coloreen

posted 17 October 2003 08:05 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for coloreen     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shepenwepet:
Can anybody explain to me where the term 'Orfi marriage' comes from? I fully understand its meaning but I've never heard the word used in Egypt or anywhere before I visited this board. I'm just curious!

funny you say that, I have actually never heard this word either all thourough the two years I lived in egypt.
I heard once something about a contract saudis would sign with a prostitute in order to make their business legitimate and after they're finished they wuld tear up the contract and that's it....it was only until I found this board when I learned about 'orfi' - maybe because I have never been to luxor or hurghada.

esposible

posted 17 October 2003 08:21 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for esposible     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote

Um kind of confused, what is the diffrence between the regular army and the "mandatory army"?

ExptinCAI

posted 17 October 2003 11:24 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for ExptinCAI     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
regular army means you're a professional soldier, where you choose to go into the military.

mandatory is like the reserves...every male citizen needs to do it for a year, so that in case of a war when they draft citizens (not professional soldiers), those citizens are trained for combat.

momo_bone

posted 27 October 2003 09:31 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for momo_bone     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
so is that those guys in military college or in military officer cant marry with foreigner?

holty

posted 10 November 2003 01:10 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for holty     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
can anyone help me i have a marriage paper that in written in egyptian i need this transalting i can email this please help me ?????

aischa

posted 10 November 2003 04:52 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for aischa     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hi dear,
is this a paper for an ORFI-marriage?
Normally, those papers /contracts are made in english and arabic? Did you sign it before you know what is written in?
Well, if you have sign it I will try to help you.
give me your e-mail-address pls.
from aischa with love
quote:
Originally posted by holty:
can anyone help me i have a marriage paper that in written in egyptian i need this transalting i can email this please help me ?????

Hiya

posted 16 November 2003 09:11 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Hiya     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hi,

I think you should approach the local authorities and ask, because although military people are not allowed to marry foreigners in Egypt and elsewhere as well, I think. There are some exceptions upon submitting an application form.

All you can do is to try...

Gd luck :-)

BeachGirl4

posted 30 November 2003 07:25 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for BeachGirl4     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I was just wondering, what are some of the ways you can get out of the mandatory army? My boyfriend says he has no choice but to go this year and we dont want him to. I'm from the US and we really dont want to get married just for this reason, theres got to be something! And if he did get out for some reason, would he be able to get a visa to come over here? Or if he did have to go, is it for sure that it would only be one year? Sorry for all the questions, thanks!!!

Monica

posted 30 November 2003 07:59 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Monica     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
If you call the nearest Egyptian Embassy/Consulate in the US, you will have the most accurate answer.

Best wishes
Monica

quote:
Originally posted by BeachGirl4:
I was just wondering, what are some of the ways you can get out of the mandatory army? My boyfriend says he has no choice but to go this year and we dont want him to. I'm from the US and we really dont want to get married just for this reason, theres got to be something! And if he did get out for some reason, would he be able to get a visa to come over here? Or if he did have to go, is it for sure that it would only be one year? Sorry for all the questions, thanks!!!