EgyptSearch Forums
  Share Your Egyptian Experiences
  Swearing in Arabic....

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Swearing in Arabic....
sonomod

posted 09 January 2005 04:49 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for sonomod     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Here is a few websites that explain what most phrasebooks won't.

I learned that if I learn these I could catch my husband bad mouthing me or others over the phone. Then I would use slang/cuss words he didn't understand and he would have to go out and find the meanings behind what I called him. Luckily I was taking an American literature course and I am a huge Mark Twain fan. In the end it ended up becoming more fun than something that we used to hurt each other. Go figure...
http://www.notam02.no/~hcholm/altlang/pdf/Arabic.pdf

<A hREF="http://www.insultmonger.com/swearing/egyptian.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.insultmonger.com/swearing/egyptian.htm[/URL]</A>
Be careful with this one don't dare accept any of their instructions or software. But damn a really good cussing dictionary.

http://www.insults.net/html/swear/arabic.html

http://www.eslweb.net/topics/slang1.shtml#arabic

http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Foreign_20profanity_20exchange#1096876451

Well I will look into this more, but its a good starter.

[This message has been edited by sonomod (edited 09 January 2005).]

IP: Logged

hassancheb

posted 09 January 2005 07:58 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for hassancheb     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Sonomod, a classy woman doesn't use such filthy language.

moll

posted 09 January 2005 08:37 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for moll     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I agree, Hassancheb...and as for having to learn arabic insults so that I'd know when my husband was badmouthing me to someone, that leaves me kind of speechless..

chelle67

posted 09 January 2005 11:26 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for chelle67     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
pmsl.....OMG i have just realised that the one rude arabic word i knew is worse that i thought ooops
I agree with sonomod here, it is always handy to know a few foreign swear words.
When i worked in Japan years ago one of the girls i worked with tried teaching me japanese, she told me the supposed polite way to greet my boss, of course it turned out to be really really rude and i was lucky that he had a good sense of humour, in retaliation i told her that it was polite to say "hello you c*nt" to westeners and howled with laughter everytime she said it
yes i know that i am not a lady but on this board that is not a bad thing is it!!!!!!!!

sonomod

posted 09 January 2005 03:21 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for sonomod     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moll:
I agree, Hassancheb...and as for having to learn arabic insults so that I'd know when my husband was badmouthing me to someone, that leaves me kind of speechless..

Great Moll you finally crawled out from under new usernames. It takes courage but you have done it.

In a sense I am looking for more low level slang terms. Women of all ages in Misr use gutter language, maybe not the terms listed on the websites I have above but more creative clean word use. Besides if I can understand some more humorous statements made that would be impressive and hopefully open a few doors for me.

Besides I won't be in Luxor or a tourist area, I will be in everyday Misr. I need to know when someone is being straight with me and when they are messing with me.

After a good look through these websites 8 months ago I noticed the worst my hubby calls me is 'shinninay' or devil. My habitual habit of remember everything he says or does really irritates him. Now I am more selective on what I remind him.

Besides reading old postings on various egypt forum it would be nice to know what all these dissings are about. From what I can tell half of it is men dissing each other out, for fun. Other half, well you wouldn't pick up on it so I won't divulge.

moll

posted 09 January 2005 03:58 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for moll     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
what do you mean, sonomod, I've finally crawled out? Do you mean you think I've been using some of those other usernames....I haven't, I've only ever been moll on here.

Sometimes I'd like to know what people are saying about me in arabic, when it's pretty obvious they're saying SOMETHING about me, but maybe it's just as well I don't know (:

I do know a couple of insults in arabic, but I've never actually used them and I don't really think I ever would, if I got angry enough about something to want to swear at somebody I'm pretty sure any arabic would just go out of my head and it would just be back to the good ol' **** off LOL

sonomod

posted 09 January 2005 04:14 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for sonomod     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Moll,

Personally I am facinated by swearing. My mother had some of the weirdest victorian ideas about womanhood. She was raised with her grandmother in the home who once was a school teacher. This granny of ours had a 3 volume set of books on 'Manners for Victorian Ladies' I am serious. I have tried everything in my power to undo the damage.

Now as an adult I can enjoy behaving, or I can duck out of the great white horde and hang out with people I feel comfortable with. I love freaking out my girlfriends, they almost sh*t themselves because they were grown in old colonial West Africa. Seeing whitey from the burbs use colorful language is a huge relief for my sisters'.

Somehow even in Misr with its clear cut and dry division between the genders there alot of room to breath. Women are not expected to be perfectly sensibly behaved at all times, women are just better at choosing the appropriate moment to use bone crushing insults and cuss words. Men are expected to make an ass of themselves at any time possible.

I watch alot of Arab TV via Satellite and Misryan movies have lots of cuss words. My husband gently explains the massive burns mixed with some very foul language used by the actresses. Of course check out the Candid Camera edition series they have. No subtitles, but even the women use some extrodinary language. I am looking forward to learning the language and create a few massive burns myself.

Possibly that man in Drag who hosts Candid Camera will approach me someday and pull a fast one on me and I will have my chance to use some colorful language. That would be a classic, a recorded segment I would want part of my eulogy for sure.

Dalia

posted 09 January 2005 05:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dalia     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:

I learned that if I learn these I could catch my husband bad mouthing me or others over the phone. Then I would use slang/cuss words he didn't understand and he would have to go out and find the meanings behind what I called him.

That sounds like a wonderful relationship.

sonomod

posted 09 January 2005 05:27 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for sonomod     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sonomod:
[b]
I learned that if I learn these I could catch my husband bad mouthing me or others over the phone. Then I would use slang/cuss words he didn't understand and he would have to go out and find the meanings behind what I called him.

That sounds like a wonderful relationship.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Watch out Dalia your creeping closer to the envitable. At least you have the advantage of being German, that'll snag you a winner.

RetirementBitches

posted 11 January 2005 01:46 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for RetirementBitches     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:

Watch out Dalia your creeping closer to the envitable. At least you have the advantage of being German, that'll snag you a winner.

if you really want to learn some egyptian cuss words go to et and read bizo's stuff...it's poetic

sonomod

posted 11 January 2005 01:50 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for sonomod     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RetirementBitches:
if you really want to learn some egyptian cuss words go to et and read bizo's stuff...it's poetic

I know I have read it. Then try to go out and find the meaning to the words.

Bizo is my hero. He is so damn mean and shallow. So cool!

Dalia

posted 14 January 2005 02:21 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dalia     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:

Sorry, don't understand your post. What's the "inevitable"? And what do you mean by "snagging a winner"???

Ah well ... maybe it's just my insufficient command of the English language ...

moll

posted 15 January 2005 11:25 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for moll     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:

Bizo is my hero. He is so damn mean and shallow. So cool!

And I'm SURE Bizo feels the same way about you, sonomod LOL

sonomod

posted 15 January 2005 10:53 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for sonomod     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:

And I'm SURE Bizo feels the same way about you, sonomod LOL

Here moll is an example of sarcasm look above:

Now for a sample of what isn't sarcasm. Moll go back to your fantasy land of being in your 30's and have a harem of slave boys fanning you will you drift down the nile.

Oh and try not to touch the underage boys at the school you teach at. Must be so difficult to control yourself.

RetirementBitches

posted 16 January 2005 01:00 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for RetirementBitches     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:

Here moll is an example of sarcasm look above:

Now for a sample of what isn't sarcasm. Moll go back to your fantasy land of being in your 30's and have a harem of slave boys fanning you will you drift down the nile.

Oh and try not to touch the underage boys at the school you teach at. Must be so difficult to control yourself.

you have access to some interesting information...come on let's hear some gossip

[This message has been edited by RetirementBitches (edited 16 January 2005).]

moll

posted 16 January 2005 04:39 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for moll     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:

Listen, you stupid bitch....make up any stories you like about me in that sick place you call your brain.....but DO NOT DARE make insinuations like that about me.
You are one seriously sick woman.

Oh and Retirement Bitch.....I really wish I'd thought of that name (: Sonomod has **** all information about anyone or anything, for God's sake don't encourage her bcs she's sick enough without it.

[This message has been edited by moll (edited 16 January 2005).]

Ayisha

posted 16 January 2005 04:50 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ayisha     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Listen, you stupid bitch....make up any stories you like about me in that weird place you call your brain.....but DO NOT make insinuations like that about me.
You are one seriously sick woman.

Moll try to not let it get to you as I am sure the sick perverted woman actually gets off on it. Best to pity her in having a mind like that, pity her husband who I think is as far away from her as possible and pity the daughter who has been taken away from her as shes too twisted to care for her.
really, imagine having a mind like that ALL the time, must be hell.

moll

posted 16 January 2005 04:56 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for moll     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
yeah, you're right, Ayisha, it's pretty sad really.....you can't blame the husband for staying away, can you? and as for someone else bringing up my daughter, there's no way on earth I'd have let that happen....best to just ignore the poor woman.

sonomod

posted 16 January 2005 02:08 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for sonomod     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
So exposing yourself and encouraging a young man the same age as your children to grope you in an Islamic country is considered to be of a higher moral ground?

As for my marriage and motherhood, I left all options open so both our cultures could be recognized and respected.

I am not working two full time jobs like my husband. I am taking a 16 - 18 credit courseload (thats 4 university courses) and working 35 hours a week to save up enough money and complete prerequisite courses so I can finish the rest online while in Misr.

Plus I am tackling learning a second language, reading the Quran and Sunnah. Making 2 calls a week to Misr and trying to keep my extended family from shooting my husband for not being able to single-handedly supporting us.

I know my American culture is not paramount. I could've divorced my husband and lived off the welfare system while finishing college. But my child deserves both cultures and to have a father. Luckily I have managed to negiotiate with my husband so he spend as little time apart from us in America while I am in Misr with my daughter. He does need to use his bachelors in Business and resuscitate his medical degree or go on to a masters so he can actually work and earn a middle income. Yet no one wants to hire an Arab for any decent wage.

We're stuck financially and by immigration law. We are not commiting cultural insenstivities and sining in only a way you could Moll. Ayisha, at least I have a legitimate marriage. My husband respects me enough to do it the right way from the get go. I would never lower myself to the standards you have.

I believe in monogamy and I know my pain is nothing compared to what my child would suffer if we were on public assistance, with no father and the stigma she would suffer for being an apostate. Excuse me I need to prepare coffee for my husband before he goes to his first job and finish several hours of homework.

sonomod

posted 16 January 2005 02:15 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for sonomod     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RetirementBitches:
you have access to some interesting information...come on let's hear some gossip

[This message has been edited by RetirementBitches (edited 16 January 2005).]

Actually I do. I won't go there, but obviously as any realistic person knows nothing stays private on the internet. And if your inclined to play 'Little European' some time or another you must decrompress and share the dirt. I get info only because I stand firm against the 'oriental' fantasy of so many over the hill underappreciated old bags.

Ayisha

posted 16 January 2005 03:46 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ayisha     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
***YAWN***

RetirementBitches

posted 17 January 2005 01:14 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for RetirementBitches     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Actually I do. I won't go there, but obviously as any realistic person knows nothing stays private on the internet. And if your inclined to play 'Little European' some time or another you must decrompress and share the dirt. I get info only because I stand firm against the 'oriental' fantasy of so many over the hill underappreciated old bags.

i envy your patience and kindness to these women., If it was me I would've revealed everything I know...i mean all the stuff they say about you...costantly attacking you.....moll.aysha and all those akshar ..hassancheb....the list goes on and on, but specialy that turles , she's something else.
really I admire you, but if you decieded to tell all...I'm here to listen

Ayisha

posted 17 January 2005 01:40 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ayisha     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
are you blind?? sodomod is the one attacking and she knows nothing about any of us, its all in her mind

nooralhaq

posted 18 January 2005 09:11 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for nooralhaq     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Ayisha, no new info there~ (I agree with you, YAWN).....

Jacqueline

posted 21 January 2005 02:24 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Jacqueline     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I learned a phrase without realising what it meant and used to say it to my husband when I was pretending I was annoyed with him. My mother in law used to howl with laughter every time she heard me say it and he just used to smile. I have only recently found out that I was saying to him that his mother was a c**t. I was mortified, I dont say it anymore. Apparently my mother in law found it so funny that I didnt know that I was saying something very bad because I am normally extremely respectful and my accent was very funny.

Farhana

posted 02 February 2005 08:33 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Farhana     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Jaqeuline, that's so funny, LOL

One question to everyone, why does a normal thread always turn into a slanging match?? Ladies really! If you don't like what someone has posted just ignore it - it makes for a peaceful life on ES. Everyone to their own