EgyptSearch Forums
  Share Your Egyptian Experiences
  American Women Lets Hear Your Views O n Egyptian Men (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   American Women Lets Hear Your Views O n Egyptian Men
Jenna

posted 11 January 2005 05:33 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Jenna     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hi Everyone,

I live in America, I m a professor at a major college in the states. My father is Egyptian/ mother american. I was raised in Egypt, my father is a doctor. I visit my relatives in Egypt in the summer most of the time.

Love to hear from American women from all over and there views, thoughts, any input on egyptian men.

IP: Logged

MisplacedinAlex

posted 25 January 2005 02:36 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for MisplacedinAlex     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Not getting a big response are you? I am from America married to Egyptian man for 10 yrs happily. Just moved to his country this past yr. We met in America lived there 9 yrs. happily. We have 2 children. He is Moslem I am Protestant. Holidays still a problem but we compromise. Children not a problem. I want them to welcome either religion at 13. They are learning Arabic and culture here now. If you are doing research and need to Email me do so. I'll check back soon.

egyptguy

posted 28 January 2005 11:43 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for egyptguy     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
maybe u should try to unravel egyptian men yourself.
want my phone number?

carolina9

posted 31 January 2005 03:48 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for carolina9     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Misplaced, I'm a 22 yo American young woman dating a 26 yo Egyptian man for 6 months. I am intrigued by your story. I love Esam (the man) and we talk about marriage- not for a couple years though! But i'm scared I'll be pressured to move to Egypt, far from my parents and siblings. Also, I'm scared of these stories about kidnapping and domineering Arab men and what not. Did you encounter any of this? are you happy with the move? whose idea was it- his or your's? did you move b/c he couldn't get a US visa?
any reply would be welcomed! thank you.

Karah_Mia

posted 31 January 2005 03:56 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Karah_Mia     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carolina9:
Misplaced, I'm a 22 yo American young woman dating a 26 yo Egyptian man for 6 months. I am intrigued by your story. I love Esam (the man) and we talk about marriage- not for a couple years though! But i'm scared I'll be pressured to move to Egypt, far from my parents and siblings. Also, I'm scared of these stories about kidnapping and domineering Arab men and what not. Did you encounter any of this? are you happy with the move? whose idea was it- his or your's? did you move b/c he couldn't get a US visa?
any reply would be welcomed! thank you.

Just out of sheer curiosity: how are you 'dating' someone that far from you? Can you afford the trips every month or so, or does he have a visa and travels to see you? Hope it is not too nosy of a question: I am just always wondering how it could work.

carolina9

posted 31 January 2005 09:11 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for carolina9     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
oh no, we both live now in America. we met in NYC this past summer and now i'm finishing my last year of University and he's still in Manhattan. so the distance is far but it's not international travel! ha ha. by the way, he was a professional civil engineer over in Cairo and he's having trouble finding work here. Any suggestions?

Karah_Mia

posted 31 January 2005 11:41 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Karah_Mia     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carolina9:
oh no, we both live now in America. we met in NYC this past summer and now i'm finishing my last year of University and he's still in Manhattan. so the distance is far but it's not international travel! ha ha. by the way, he was a professional civil engineer over in Cairo and he's having trouble finding work here. Any suggestions?

Now it makes sense. Did he get his diploma in Cairo or US? If in Cairo, he needs to 'translate' all his credits from there to the US education standard requirements and use his degree to its full potential.

JYREETA

posted 20 February 2005 05:16 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JYREETA     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
i think egyptian men are sexy

diana_ivanova

posted 21 February 2005 04:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for diana_ivanova     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
lolllll thats the cream of the ice!hahaha
yes dear they really are,and this forum proove this opinion,isnt it?

MisplacedinAlex

posted 27 February 2005 02:44 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for MisplacedinAlex     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Carolina9, I'm from Carolinas! I think I have a rare Egyptian man from looking at these posts off and on... but it still has not been very easy to adjust to life here. I don't think my 10 mnths living here thus far is a real fair time to say I can't do it so I'm giving it more time. My husband got his US citizenship and we owned a successful business back home together but it was stressing both of us out and he had health problems which lead us to come over here to live. We also wanted more family quality time. He wanted to be around his family and let our children experience and enjoy his homeland/culture! I agreed to it but it's easier said then done. I have no problems with my husband he actually is catering to my every need here and it's probably driving him crazy and keeping him from venturing into other things here. However, I have heard stories like you and there is some truth to them ..but every man is different and circumstance!! I think if I could move back tommorow I would. Sure everyone loves a vacation to far away place and the seasides, sunsets, exotic atmosphere here, but real life does not involve vacationing everyday anywhere. The life here is difficult. I took a job to keep busy not in my field and was only making 300 LE a month. I miss the comforts, so many choices at my fingertips and sights of home and even though I do not condone every darn US lifestyle I miss it! Think hard and visit first doing normal everyday things..not just sunning and traveling and thinking,I love Egypt it's so lovely. Met his family, they are a big part of the stucture of life here. Even in US meddling families can hinder a lovely relationship! When you have children it is a diff. ball game too. Make sure you ask about the future and all he expects or desires from you as a partner. I know of some men who have changed drastically upon moving here with their Am. wifes for the worst and some woman who are just loving life here w/no problems. Trust is important in your mate. Culture differences are a larger part of my marriage then I ever anticipated. My man loves me so much he is willing to take us all back accross the vast oceans but I hate to do this to him..and this hurts..our cultures are so different and who knew in the beginning we would end up here or that he would rather the children grow up here?! .Our love is so strong I hope it endures but I do not see my future here even if it where he wants to be. I want my children to have more opportunites in life and freedom I want them to enjoy so much I took for granted without being spoiled. I don't think I should have to give up my beliefs, enjoyments of life which for me requires certain materialistic things and experiences. So think very hard before you're heart and soul is united and sometimes swayed. Ask away... speculate and determine.....Good luck!

Gail

posted 14 March 2005 01:01 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Gail     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Jenna,
I have been dating an Egyptian guy for a little while and he's amazing. We were just joking around last night about how I could probably not settle for an American man if our relationship cools. He is really easy to be with and we're having lots of fun! Anyway, good luck with your search for information.

Gail

posted 14 March 2005 01:03 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Gail     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Jenna,

P.S. I am a teacher also. Which subject do you teach? Keep in touch.

lifeAgift

posted 03 April 2005 12:29 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for lifeAgift     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Married to an Egyptian also.
We are both in the states. Finances have been dificult lately. Especially with children in private schools and bills adding up. I come from a small distant family and have always desired the closeness and communal type living I perceive in his culture.

We having housing awaiting anytime we desire to move to Egypt. I'm willing to give it a try for 2-5 years for my childrens sake and to possibly attend medical school with the help of his supportive family. We also believe we could have more quality family time together in egypt because of the economy.

Is it safe to say that we could live a very comfortable life with $30,000 US dollars budgeted for 9-15 months.

Ideally I would love to spend half the year in Egypt and half in the states, as an adjunct professor somewhere or General tenums physician.

Can anyone shed more reality on my fantasy.
I dream of diving in the red sea studying at the new library in Alexandria, medical school in Cairo and a beach front villa with 70 degree weather or better daily.

Gail

posted 04 April 2005 09:02 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Gail     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
lifeAgift,

It sounds exciting! I was actually wondering what the school system is like in Egypt. I think I'll post an inquiry.

1mangang

posted 04 April 2005 10:30 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for 1mangang     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I think Egyptian men are funny.
From reading the posts here they like to marry western women and it never works out (or if they are trying to use them). u cant tame western women, especially american, unless she wants to be tamed. I think the egyptian men who try this are very naive. I have heard egyptian women stand up for themselves and can be very bossy. that's different from american woman. American women are the same way except that if you hurt them or use them they will stare at your eyes as they hold you under the water.
Egyptian men, playing with fire.
Only the wind can handle this fire, which is why Western men should stay with Western women, works out better.

MisplacedinAlex

posted 13 April 2005 02:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for MisplacedinAlex     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Lifeagift....Sounds like plenty of money to live comfortably here for 9-15 months! In Alexandria allot of Foreigners prefer the Karfour Abdul(excuse mis spelling) area but rent is about 1200-2500 LE monthly there which is high here. This area is not close to the sea but very clean and upscale. Most flats near the busy sea main road are not that desirable and you have allot of noise, traffic and pollution, not too mention extreme wind from sea..IT was cold this winter! Not much central heat or air remember and concrete bldgs. with tile floors is the norm. It is not like you open your terrace for tea and are looking at the beautiful surroundings and sunset. Just warning. There are hardly any villas for rent or sale right by sea as it is a main thorough fare. You would have to go out of city and there isn't much civilazation out there yet. The library is lovely. Can't comment on the studying in Cairo. Alex. is 2 1/2 hr commute. I live 5 blocks from sea in decent new flat for much less than mentioned however we bought it in total Egyptian community.
You have to be pretty well off to fly home to states once a year also once you get used to the prices here etc. you will find it harder to rationalize spending so much to go home often. Our recent tickets were 4,000 dollars to home for family of 4 in June this summer.
We came here for some of the reasons you mentioned and some may be true but it doesn't outweigh the pluses of American LIfe to me...so think hard. I wish I had just tried to scale down my unneccesary, over extravagant lifestyle & spending and lived more to my means in US.
I'm sure others may help you out more with finanacial info. and positive support..I would go to Living in Egypt and post this same question it may be viewed more than Sharing your Experiences in Egypt. If you want more of my info. just ask. I am still adjusting my 1st yr here so you may have to share others viewpoints. My children do love their private school here and are happy!
food for family four= roughly 2500LE mnth
Car cost used smll sized econo. 20,000 LE
REnt 600-2000LE mnthly
Entertainment = 300+ LE monthly minimal don't get out too much options not high)
Cost dinner out pizza for 4=60LE+
Cost dinner out nice fish rest.for 4= 350 LE +
Movie for 1= 20 LE Taxi 1-3 miles 4 LE
Outfit for 5 yr old 160+ LE OUtfit me-300+LE English book price 60-100 LE
Decent CAndy bar =2 LE can cola 1LE
MCDonalds combo meal for 1= 13 LE
Gas fill up small econo. car= 12 LE
Some gen. prices for you....Good luck

lifeAgift

posted 17 April 2005 09:25 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for lifeAgift     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Thanks for the reply misplaced. I think I've read some of your post before.
Help what is LE is this a leira a pound or what??? I'm think the conversion is 6 to 1 US dollar am I correct???

The fantasy plan is to sell are home here in the US plus all of our belongings hopefully that will give us the $30k (equity and stuff). My hubby has a job in Egypt already we send money and documents ever year for retiremnt or something to maintain his position??? It won't pay enough to support us all though.

[This message has been edited by lifeAgift (edited 17 April 2005).]

Shadya

posted 19 April 2005 06:40 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Shadya     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hi everyone, I'm new in the forum. I like this topic!

My husband is from Cairo and we married there last November during Eid. Since I have no family here, his family has become my family. We spent 3 weeks there and I had the most wonderful time. I love his friends and his family.

I could not ask for a nicer husband. He is sweet, cooks for me, is always in a great mood and he really never takes anything too seriously. That's good for me because I tend to be more serious about things. We married later in life, so we have no children. It was quite a relief to find a man who was not looking for a 2nd wife to add to his collection.

He is sort of a moderate in his beliefs and practices too. I can wear western wear as long as the clothing is moderate. I can wear ethnic dress and he always compliments me. I wear hijab by choice. He does not mind that I have a career as a Medical Director for two hospitals. He never complains if I work late.

Yet my husband's personality in some ways are still tied to his culture. He has to bargain for anything he purchases. His cooking is very ethnic and I love his koshory. He has ideas about his financial responsibilities to his family, and for the most part, I agree. What we do not agree on, we work out.

I certainly could have done worse! Also, he is very romantic...

lifeAgift

posted 20 April 2005 10:19 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for lifeAgift     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadya:

He does not mind that I have a career as a Medical Director for two hospitals. He never complains if I work late.

I ditto your sentiments.
Are you in the states now? If so where?
Do you plan on relocating or returning to egypt soon?

Alana

posted 20 April 2005 08:55 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Alana     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Shadya,
Welcome
Really that is a nice story. You seem to have found quite a gem. Very compatible husband.
Good Luck to You!

Shadya

posted 22 April 2005 10:07 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Shadya     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hi everyone
We live in Houston Texas and we both love the city. My husband spent 6 weeks in Cairo and just returned on April 17th. Now get this....I took him to a dentist in Houston because he had a tooth ache. The Dentist gave us a bill for $36,000.00 of which we were expected to pay $9,600.00 out of pocket. So we did the math! Round trip ticket to Cairo - $660. Staying with his family - $0. And the dentist? Only $1000.00 for the same work. Bridges, root canals, cosmetics and cleaning.

Yes we plan to return to Cairo in Ramadan and Eid. After observing Ramadan and Eid in Cairo, I can not think of spending those days in the US. It is just not the same...

Inshallah we will spend three weeks there.

lifeAgift

posted 23 April 2005 01:03 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for lifeAgift     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Would love to go to Egypt for ramadan too. Plus go on the HAjj.
We've been working on minimilization.

Hubby use to spend $5-6/day on fastfood lunches now he's enjoying 89cent favas beans with pita and tomatoes. I carry salads with boiled eggs.

we want to live bicontinentally without any debt.

kkkaaa

posted 24 April 2005 05:49 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for kkkaaa     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MisplacedinAlex:

Car cost used smll sized econo. 20,000 LE
REnt 600-2000LE mnthly

Some gen. prices for you....Good luck

hi misplaced

rent for 600 LE per month>??

#where?
any chance near roushdi/maimi/gleen/shatby/sprotying, etc

[oh and thank u for that insight of life in alex, it the best i have ever read....and also the general cost ]

[This message has been edited by kkkaaa (edited 24 April 2005).]

MisplacedinAlex

posted 24 April 2005 08:18 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for MisplacedinAlex     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
When we were looking last year we found several for this price and up of course...Hurry before summer months prices rocket! Just find a broker to show you around and tell them a lower price bracket than you desire so they don't swindle you...or ask door man at area and flats you find desirable.
Thanks nice to have a positive comment about something you wrote! Good luck!
Spring is here..yahoo!

kkkaaa

posted 25 April 2005 07:00 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for kkkaaa     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
here, to go www.yahoo.com if u like to yahoo

i am goinf in the month July this is the summer month write,,,

nevamind gave me some good link for hotel, in alex, 1 and 2*
so im guna get looking in them?

do u like on the east or west of rousshdi??

do u know of any cheap 1 to 3 star hotek from roshdi and surroind area to anywhre going east to. mousfa kemel.

[i know hotel new capri,,,but that is too west, from roushi]...

nway dont truble ur self to answer, just though u might no...

MisplacedinAlex

posted 30 April 2005 05:19 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for MisplacedinAlex     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Wish I could help you but don't know info on hotels ....

Wondering what happened to original gal who posted here, Jenna.
Did you get information you needed have not seen a post from you lately..??

sonomod

posted 30 April 2005 06:58 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for sonomod     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MisplacedinAlex:
Wish I could help you but don't know info on hotels ....

Wondering what happened to original gal who posted here, Jenna.
Did you get information you needed have not seen a post from you lately..??

She had a revolving door of usernames, hassencheb for one, she and LL (LuxorLover) duked it out for a while.

hassancheb

posted 08 May 2005 03:29 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for hassancheb     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:
She had a revolving door of usernames, hassencheb for one, she and LL (LuxorLover) duked it out for a while.

Actually it's you, you psychotic child of an alcoholic sugar mama, with a disfunctional family of hill billy drunks!

Get A Life, you are the one with a thousand user names, and I know Alana is you! You fool!

hassancheb

posted 08 May 2005 03:37 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for hassancheb     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Sonomod you lonely low life broad with a multiple personality disorder!

I don't even believe you are married, who could marry a pyscho, you dont even know you are! I believe you are one of those desperate lonely, pimple faced girls who lives in a fantasy world online. I bet you have a slew of online husbands under the various user IDs you have, yeah stay online 24 hours and get your useless home course degree online, you idiot! Can't even get into a real college.

Loser!

FunnyGirl

posted 12 May 2005 10:08 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for FunnyGirl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote

HI Shadya!!!

It's a nice story...
You are a lucky girl!!!

How did you met your husband? In Egypt?

Bye

quote:
Hi everyone
We live in Houston Texas and we both love the city. My husband spent 6 weeks in Cairo and just returned on April 17th. Now get this....I took him to a dentist in Houston because he had a tooth ache. The Dentist gave us a bill for $36,000.00 of which we were expected to pay $9,600.00 out of pocket. So we did the math! Round trip ticket to Cairo - $660. Staying with his family - $0. And the dentist? Only $1000.00 for the same work. Bridges, root canals, cosmetics and cleaning.

Yes we plan to return to Cairo in Ramadan and Eid. After observing Ramadan and Eid in Cairo, I can not think of spending those days in the US. It is just not the same...

Inshallah we will spend three weeks there.

sonomod

posted 12 May 2005 12:17 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for sonomod     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hassancheb:
Sonomod you lonely low life broad with a multiple personality disorder!

I don't even believe you are married, who could marry a pyscho, you dont even know you are! I believe you are one of those desperate lonely, pimple faced girls who lives in a fantasy world online. I bet you have a slew of online husbands under the various user IDs you have, yeah stay online 24 hours and get your useless home course degree online, you idiot! Can't even get into a real college.

Loser!

I'd congratulate you on getting alot of your system but I know more is coming. So typical of you.

Shadya

posted 13 May 2005 06:25 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Shadya     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FunnyGirl:

HI Shadya!!!

It's a nice story...
You are a lucky girl!!!

How did you met your husband? In Egypt?

Bye

Believe it or not we met through email and i told him hi...I wanted to meet someone closer to my location (Dallas). Anyway, I moved to the city where he lived about a year and a half later. He sent email after that asking me how I was and we met for coffee.... Did I have any idea this was the man I would marry? Absolutely not, but then I believe everything happens for a reason.

Koks2005

posted 14 June 2005 06:04 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Koks2005     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hello all,
this is an interesting conversation,but I want to make some modification in the topic,I am an egyptian man,and I want to ask you now Egyptain men,what do you think about American women?
I want to tell my opinion about most of them or at least those whom i meet,they are very kind and loving and funny....and really really really I would love to marry an american woman one day,I am in love now with one of em,and she is all my life and she is everything for me,plz all you people all over the world ,pray for me,and thank you all

sonomod

posted 14 June 2005 03:44 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for sonomod     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Koks2005:
Hello all,
this is an interesting conversation,but I want to make some modification in the topic,I am an egyptian man,and I want to ask you now Egyptain men,what do you think about American women?
I want to tell my opinion about most of them or at least those whom i meet,they are very kind and loving and funny....and really really really I would love to marry an american woman one day,I am in love now with one of em,and she is all my life and she is everything for me,plz all you people all over the world ,pray for me,and thank you all

If you marry an American woman you must learn to adjust to our culture as well. At least 20% of the life with her must have an American custom to it.

Don't expect her to be Egyptian overnight, don't expect her to give up all her expectations of marriage and love and adapt your expections entirely.

Otherwise marry a revert, they will do anything you tell them to, change completely overnight and think only of your needs.

Koks2005

posted 14 June 2005 07:31 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Koks2005     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hi Sonomod,
thank you very much for replying,of course I agree with you but I have some notes.
I want to tell you that love and marriage is not only about satisfying needs.and 20%of living the american custom is unfair for her.I would never want her to give up her expectations,or dreams or anything...on the other hand i should be beside her and support her....of course we both will get to know eachother's culture,I think this is what love about.
I dont want someone to just satisfy my needs,I dont think about women this way.
The girl that I am in love with now,I am in love with her soul more than anything else,she is an Angel.
I really didnt understand what you meant by a revert?revert from what to what?I dont know....hope hear from you soon

sonomod

posted 15 June 2005 10:32 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for sonomod     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Koks2005:
Hi Sonomod,
thank you very much for replying,of course I agree with you but I have some notes.
I want to tell you that love and marriage is not only about satisfying needs.and 20%of living the american custom is unfair for her.I would never want her to give up her expectations,or dreams or anything...on the other hand i should be beside her and support her....of course we both will get to know eachother's culture,I think this is what love about.
I dont want someone to just satisfy my needs,I dont think about women this way.
The girl that I am in love with now,I am in love with her soul more than anything else,she is an Angel.
I really didnt understand what you meant by a revert?revert from what to what?I dont know....hope hear from you soon

Wow you don't consider 20% too much? Kinda strange.

Now are you in the USA already, or she in Egypt with you or is it a distance thing? And the age gap, is there one or are you the same relatively age?

Those factors make such a big difference.

Plus if you are in Egypt most people will give you space to enjoy being married, if you are the groom, the wife is picked apart.

Now if you are in USA, you will be picked apart from other Arabs. They will not leave you alone, you will constantly be critized.

Plus she will be torn apart and ostrasized everyday for marrying you. Is she a strong person? If she is middle class and white it will change every aspect of her life. Plus don't allow her to take your last name untill you have children or not at all. She will face discrimination at a whole new high when she does. If she is rich, she will get some hate but much less, because money talks. Plus alot of your Arab friends will assume that she is rich and will take care of you financially, so when they come to ask for money beware. Alot of single Arab men will leech off of another Arab friend because of his American wife. For a while these will be your only friends.

A revert is a Christain who has had their Shaddah, chosen Islam. Most of the time these new Muslimahs become basically spineless creatures. Believing that they are biologically, spiritual, and intellectual inferiors to men. Plus they hate the west and hate Christainity vehmentally. Just look to our 'Religion' and 'Politics' section of the forum. Hate isn't a virtue of Islam, but this is the only reason that brought these women to Islam.

Be careful, the way you feel about your American girlfriend and her faith will change within weeks of marriage. Then you will know who your friends are.

[This message has been edited by sonomod (edited 15 June 2005).]

newcomer

posted 15 June 2005 11:23 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for newcomer     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
A "revert" is a term sometimes used for a person who has reverted to the religion that they were born into. Muslims believe that everyone is born as a Muslim, i.e. as a being created by Allah who lives by the natural laws that He also created, but that human beings learn beliefs from their families and the environment that they are raised in. This may lead them to practice Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, etc. etc. But if at a later stage in life they learn about Islam and choose of their own free will to follow its teachings some people describe it as them having reverted to the religion that they were born into.

For anyone to stand up in public and declare their acceptance of Islam is no spineless matter, particularly in these days when the media and politicians are creating and developing such negative images of Islam. And all those negative stereotyped biased prejudiced generalizations written above need to be seen in that light and treated accordingly!

1mangang

posted 15 June 2005 11:27 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for 1mangang     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
A "revert" is a term sometimes used for a person who has reverted to the religion that they were born into. Muslims believe that everyone is born as a Muslim, i.e. as a being created by Allah who lives by the natural laws that He also created, but that human beings learn beliefs from their families and the environment that they are raised in. This may lead them to practice Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, etc. etc. But if at a later stage in life they learn about Islam and choose of their own free will to follow its teachings some people describe it as them having reverted to the religion that they were born into.

For anyone to stand up in public and declare their acceptance of Islam is no spineless matter, particularly in these days when the media and politicians are creating and developing such negative images of Islam. And all those negative stereotyped biased prejudiced generalizations written above need to be seen in that light and treated accordingly!

spineless? deep thinking
Tact is the ability to describe others as they see themselves.

[This message has been edited by 1mangang (edited 15 June 2005).]

Karah_Mia

posted 15 June 2005 12:13 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Karah_Mia     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:

Agree completely.

sonomod

posted 15 June 2005 03:05 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for sonomod     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:

By spineless I meant that she has a tendancy to accept cultural practices of Muslims before actual Islamic juriprudence.

You didn't even bother to realize in my post that by marrying a muslim she will be critized up the yahzu by non-Muslims and Muslims alike.

I have known women for several years before they actually reverted. When they do many anti-woman attitudes that they possessed before their Shaddah is explosively apparent. They don't want women to work, or live on their own before marriage, go around with a bible trying to exercise people's demons in public places, whether the person wants them exercised or not. Its on the same line as African-American men who have spent time in and out of prison. Black-Militia attitude.

Its a matter of hating Christainity and white race more than accepting a monothestic religion that has improved so much of the world's population. That is the exact reason why so many individuals in the west fear reverts.

And to be entirely honest many of these women had a very hard time finding a husband before and after they reverted. Since it fullfills half a Muslims faith to be married, they assume their chances of finding a husband by reverting increases. Plus so many of these women come out of extremely religious families, and some have survived Christain cults.

Its a way of purging something from themselves without doing any meaningful insightful work to purge it.

My husband has seen this for himself and he is utterly ashamed of the black militants and the "Nation of Islam", let alone the reverts who donn the niqab, wear socks in their sandels, hand gloves and then go around like a doomsday cult telling all will go to hell.

I think the word is "eccentric."

But there are women who revert and do so without going over the deep end and without dumping all their Christian friends and family. women who don't dump their mortage, stop listening to music or watching TV, refuse to pay taxes, who keep their children at home instead of public or private school (in effect installing a great deep seated fear of all Christians and westerner I am phrasing this on the line of Waco), or even to so far as to rearrange their anatomy down south.

I mean the more severe outlook that Muslims can produce these reverts take it to an extreme. I have seen very few actually balance their lives and see Islam as flexible and progressive religion.

But of course so many reverts on these egy boards either reverted to get married and don't take Islam seriously or they go overboard. There isn't much of a Middle ground like if they were born Muslim.

sonomod

posted 15 June 2005 03:11 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for sonomod     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
The reasons I noted above are the exact motivations my husband and I have for raising our daughter in Egypt. At least for the first 10 years. So she understands what it is like to live in a Muslim society and doesn't get all hell bent to reclaim her Muslim roots.

And the reason why I choose to not revert until I am ready. Many years of study and living within a Muslim dominant culture before I make that leap. Its a choice, not a reaction.

Karah_Mia

posted 15 June 2005 03:12 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Karah_Mia     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
But there are women who revert and do so without going over the deep end and without dumping all their Christian friends and family. women who don't dump their mortage, stop listening to music or watching TV, refuse to pay taxes, who keep their children at home instead of public or private school (in effect installing a great deep seated fear of all Christians and westerner I am phrasing this on the line of Waco), or even to so far as to rearrange their anatomy down south.

Sono, r u serious?????? Are there really any women who accept Islam as their new religion actually do those horrors?????? :O

newcomer

posted 15 June 2005 04:02 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for newcomer     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
By spineless I meant that she has a tendancy to accept cultural practices of Muslims before actual Islamic juriprudence.

If that is your definition of “spineless” I would say that it actually applies more to people who are "born Muslims" than to “reverts”, as the majority of new Muslims do try to seek out information about their new found religion and follow it as it was revealed rather than just carrying on the accepted family traditional ways of practice.

Some of the reactions you are describing to new Muslims are exactly the same as people describe in reaction to “born-again Christians” or to college students who think they are the only people who have ever opened a book and studied anything about life. It comes from their over-enthusiasm to adjust to their newfound knowledge/faith. However to generalize this to all new-Muslims/reverts is what I was objecting to.

It’s a fascinating world we are living in today, where women are called “eccentric” because they choose to dress conservatively and wear socks in their sandals, gloves, scarves, and cover their faces. But if they walk around with their bellies hanging over the top of their skirts or trousers/pants, or a dress that leaves absolutely nothing to the imagination about what it is theoretically meant to be covering, they are considered fashionable!

Koks2005

posted 15 June 2005 08:37 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Koks2005     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Wow you don't consider 20% too much? Kinda strange.

Now are you in the USA already, or she in Egypt with you or is it a distance thing? And the age gap, is there one or are you the same relatively age?

Those factors make such a big difference.

Plus if you are in Egypt most people will give you space to enjoy being married, if you are the groom, the wife is picked apart.

Now if you are in USA, you will be picked apart from other Arabs. They will not leave you alone, you will constantly be critized.

Plus she will be torn apart and ostrasized everyday for marrying you. Is she a strong person? If she is middle class and white it will change every aspect of her life. Plus don't allow her to take your last name untill you have children or not at all. She will face discrimination at a whole new high when she does. If she is rich, she will get some hate but much less, because money talks. Plus alot of your Arab friends will assume that she is rich and will take care of you financially, so when they come to ask for money beware. Alot of single Arab men will leech off of another Arab friend because of his American wife. For a while these will be your only friends.

A revert is a Christain who has had their Shaddah, chosen Islam. Most of the time these new Muslimahs become basically spineless creatures. Believing that they are biologically, spiritual, and intellectual inferiors to men. Plus they hate the west and hate Christainity vehmentally. Just look to our 'Religion' and 'Politics' section of the forum. Hate isn't a virtue of Islam, but this is the only reason that brought these women to Islam.

Be careful, the way you feel about your American girlfriend and her faith will change within weeks of marriage. Then you will know who your friends are.

[This message has been edited by sonomod (edited 15 June 2005).]

Hi Sonomod,nice to hear from you.I beleive that some of what you say is true and happens.but Hey life is much more beautiful than that,not all the people are bad people and not all of em are good.besides I dont wanna marry a revert,you wont beleive that one thing that attracted me to this girl is her strong faith in her religion,she is christian and she goes to the church frequently,and she helps poor people and children,I mean c'mon I love that in her.Yes I am a muslim ,and i wish if she one day will be convinced with Islam BY HER WILL,because me being a muslim,i beleive that this is the way to heaven,and being in love with her,I wnt her to be in heaven.but TAKE CARE,when i think about that,she also beleives that christianity is the way to heaven and she wishes me to be in heaven too.so see there is noone better than the other or much worthy to be followed.one term of Love is to respect the other person,again respect the other person.if one day a woman come to me and says"i will be your slave",I will hate this woman of course,women and men are human beings,God created us having many things in common and a little things different,but eventually,we are the same,we are equal.beleive me,I will not regret if i married her,and she wont too thank you Sonomod for your concern

sonomod

posted 15 June 2005 11:20 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for sonomod     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
If that is your definition of “spineless” I would say that it actually applies more to people who are "born Muslims" than to “reverts”, as the majority of new Muslims do try to seek out information about their new found religion and follow it as it was revealed rather than just carrying on the accepted family traditional ways of practice.

Some of the reactions you are describing to new Muslims are exactly the same as people describe in reaction to “born-again Christians” or to college students who think they are the only people who have ever opened a book and studied anything about life. It comes from their over-enthusiasm to adjust to their newfound knowledge/faith. However to generalize this to all new-Muslims/reverts is what I was objecting to.

It’s a fascinating world we are living in today, where women are called “eccentric” because they choose to dress conservatively and wear socks in their sandals, gloves, scarves, and cover their faces. But if they walk around with their bellies hanging over the top of their skirts or trousers/pants, or a dress that leaves absolutely nothing to the imagination about what it is theoretically meant to be covering, they are considered fashionable!

Yeah right. My husband has requested that a few new reverts not take their Shaddah. Because they are doing so for the wrong reasons.

What I am trying to explain here is that many of these reverts are damaged people. And damaged people can do alot of harm to a religion's image.

You know how many people are turned away from Al-Azhar because they are risky students? You know how many people are deported from Jureusalem of all three faiths because they are a security risk or just plain freaky?

People should adopt a faith because it feels right for them. Not because they hate who they are or hate the society they are surrounded by or because it will increases their chances for finally landing a husband.

People can see these innappropriate motivations for what they are. Usually reverts with innappropriate motivations end up scaring people off from exploring a faith who would've ended up adopting the faith for the right reasons.

Quality vs. Non-Quality.

newcomer

posted 16 June 2005 02:08 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for newcomer     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
And what I am trying to explain is that it isn’t only the small percentage of the people who convert/revert to Islam who behave overenthusiastically that people find off-putting, they are put off by anyone who finds new knowledge or a new belief and tries to force it on other people.

There are many people who adopt new ways of life/seek knowledge for their own personal reasons, for example, how many people do you think go to study psychiatry/ psychology/ social work because they are looking for answers to problems in their own lives or go out to look for answers in any religion they can find? Some may find healing in the new way and for others it can be a form of escapism. Insha Allah all those who need healing will eventually find the right way without taking too many dead ends.

I don’t deny that there are some people who do come to Islam for reasons other than believing in the religion and being committed to it, and that this shouldn’t be encouraged. And I agree that not all reverts give a good impression to other people about Islam, but the same can be said about many of those who were born into Muslim families and claim to be Muslims, or those who claim to be Christians, Jews, Hindus, and Buddhists too. But nowadays it’s the Muslims who are in the limelight, so they are the ones everyone feels free to point the finger at!

haydee61

posted 27 June 2005 08:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for haydee61     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Can you tell me how long it took your husband to get to usa Visa to immigrate to usa after you married him. I have met this wornderful man from Egypt we have plans to marrie and we love each other. He would like me to go to Egypt but since I am a US citizen I want him to come to this country.
Did you go through this immigration issue when you got marrie.

thanks
Haydee

quote:

My husband is from Cairo and we married there last November during Eid. Since I have no family here, his family has become my family. We spent 3 weeks there and I had the most wonderful time. I love his friends and his family.

I could not ask for a nicer husband. He is sweet, cooks for me, is always in a great mood and he really never takes anything too seriously. That's good for me because I tend to be more serious about things. We married later in life, so we have no children. It was quite a relief to find a man who was not looking for a 2nd wife to add to his collection.

He is sort of a moderate in his beliefs and practices too. I can wear western wear as long as the clothing is moderate. I can wear ethnic dress and he always compliments me. I wear hijab by choice. He does not mind that I have a career as a Medical Director for two hospitals. He never complains if I work late.

Yet my husband's personality in some ways are still tied to his culture. He has to bargain for anything he purchases. His cooking is very ethnic and I love his koshory. He has ideas about his financial responsibilities to his family, and for the most part, I agree. What we do not agree on, we work out.

Catherine_S

posted 03 July 2005 07:43 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Catherine_S     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I live in America also, have lived here my entire life. I met my first Egyptian man and thought that I really needed to get to know this man better. We have been friends for almost 3 years now. The thing that I notice about Egyptian men is that they are very very close to their mothers. And they are very hard workers, working 6 days a week and very long hours.

They are also very intelligent.

I also think that if an Egyptian man who lives in Egypt has a father or brothers who take more than one wife, that there is a higher likelihood that he may also. Just an afterthought.

quote:
Originally posted by Jenna:
Hi Everyone,

I live in America, I m a professor at a major college in the states. My father is Egyptian/ mother american. I was raised in Egypt, my father is a doctor. I visit my relatives in Egypt in the summer most of the time.

Love to hear from American women from all over and there views, thoughts, any input on egyptian men.

angelofsweetness

posted 03 July 2005 09:40 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for angelofsweetness     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Catherine_S:
I live in America also, have lived here my entire life. I met my first Egyptian man and thought that I really needed to get to know this man better. We have been friends for almost 3 years now. The thing that I notice about Egyptian men is that they are very very close to their mothers. And they are very hard workers, working 6 days a week and very long hours.

They are also very intelligent.

I also think that if an Egyptian man who lives in Egypt has a father or brothers who take more than one wife, that there is a higher likelihood that he may also. Just an afterthought.

Yes, I agree about Egyptian men and their relationship with their mums. They are such mummy's boys which I find really sweet! The Egyptian man I know is also very hard working and intelligent. Omigod! I hope that we are not talking about the same man!

Anyway, thanks for the afterthought on the possibility of 'heredity' pattern of more than one wives. I will do further investigation on my Egyptian man.

Catherine_S

posted 07 July 2005 12:32 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Catherine_S     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
The man I was writing of lives and works in California. He owns his own business. I believe he was born here in the U.S. I am madly in love with him, but he is madly in love with making money, and he is very very good at that.

I also have an Egyptian friend in Saudi Arabia whose father took 2 wives. But he himself said that he isn't going to marry but one woman. He believes that if a man truly loves his wife that he will not marry more than one wife. His mother recently passed. Now his father is with the 2nd wife. IT just seems so unfair.

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2