EgyptSearch Forums
  Share Your Egyptian Experiences
  Long nails on little fingers

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Long nails on little fingers
pinkmagic

posted 17 March 2005 05:11 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for pinkmagic     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I have noticed many men of Arab and black origin grow the nails of their little (pinky) fingers very long.
I have heard many reasons from many different people as to why they do this, from practical, religious to just obscene.
Does anyone know the real significance behind this custom?

IP: Logged

Gail

posted 17 March 2005 06:25 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Gail     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
pinkmagic - I've been wondering the same thing! My boyfriend (Egyptian) has these long nails, but I didn't want to ask him about it. It's not a big deal to me... just intriguing.

waelredsea

posted 17 March 2005 02:00 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for waelredsea     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
all the problems in the world is solved, and growing the nails is important for you now....

what are you taking about, many people get killed in many countries, you donot see this and see your boyfriend nail.

get lost loser

Karah_Mia

posted 17 March 2005 02:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Karah_Mia     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by waelredsea:
all the problems in the world is solved, and growing the nails is important for you now....

what are you taking about, many people get killed in many countries, you donot see this and see your boyfriend nail.

get lost loser

And which tropical insect bit your ass today??? Relax! Do you see the starving Ethiopians' faces each time u bring fork with food close to your mouth? If you do it is time to change your meds before the fork pokes your eyes off you inconsiderably un-hungry charmer you.

Gail

posted 17 March 2005 07:39 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Gail     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I guess we're not supposed to talk about the weather either?

sonomod

posted 17 March 2005 08:14 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for sonomod     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I have seen this on alot of men here is the USA. Somehow the weirdest ones.

You see these medicine men or weapon masters of the Kung Fu practice and you will see it there too.

I asked a co-worker (dirty factory work, yuck) why he chewed down all of his nails expect for the pinky (2 inch long) and he said it looked cool and it could reach parts that q-tips coudln't.

Alright last conversation I had with that guy.

Seen lots of gangbangers doing the same thing. Long pinky nails.

Just gross.

What kind of weirds me out is when a cashier leaves his acrylic nails on and has his eyebrows plucked and penciled in. Then I listen to his voice and ask him where he performs. These Drag shows can be ultra funny and choreographed well. Compared to talented breeders at least these guys can keep a day job.

waelredsea

posted 18 March 2005 03:47 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for waelredsea     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Karah_Mia

And which tropical insect bit your ass today???

IT SEEMS THAT YOU ARE A DIRTY BITCH WITH TWO ASSHOLE. LOL

Samia

posted 18 March 2005 05:42 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Samia     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:

get lost loser

WAEL, I dont understand your point.... does EVERY posting have to be political?? what is the problem of this girl asking about this nail???? Seems like a perfectly innocent question to me!!!

Samia

posted 18 March 2005 05:44 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Samia     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Karah_Mia

Omygod.... wael... who rattled your cage today?? Do you find it necessary to insult EVERY poster today??
Oh well.... I guess I'm next!!!

mysticheart

posted 18 March 2005 10:40 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mysticheart     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Samia:
Omygod.... wael... who rattled your cage today?? Do you find it necessary to insult EVERY poster today??
Oh well.... I guess I'm next!!!

what is with everyone??? she just simply asked a question, if you didnt have an answer why reply??? I also saw this will in egypt , my fiances friend had this, i wondered the same what was the purpose??? I know in the states it usually depicts drug usage of some sort, but that doesnt mean that is what it is in egypt, so does anyone know the answer???

Samia

posted 19 March 2005 01:40 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Samia     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mysticheart:
what is with everyone??? she just simply asked a question, if you didnt have an answer why reply???

Mysticheart, I think you are missing my point!!! My comment was directed at WAELREDSEA, which you would have seen if you had taken the time to read it properly!!!
I am very happy to read the 'lighter' topics like this one, instead of all the insults and bitching, which is why I am sad when I see a fairly lightweight topic turn into a slanging match!!!
Also, I will always jump up in defense of my friend Karah Mia, she is one of the nicest, funniest people I have the privilege of knowing!!!

[This message has been edited by Samia (edited 19 March 2005).]

pinkmagic

posted 19 March 2005 04:55 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for pinkmagic     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Just to say this is the last time I am ever going to post on this forum. I am fed up with the nastiness. A totally innocent light hearted topic has been turned into a bitch fight. Goodbye Egyptsearch

Samia

posted 19 March 2005 01:24 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Samia     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pinkmagic:
A totally innocent light hearted topic has been turned into a bitch fight.

Has it??? Am I missing something???

sonomod

posted 19 March 2005 03:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for sonomod     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pinkmagic:
Just to say this is the last time I am ever going to post on this forum. I am fed up with the nastiness. A totally innocent light hearted topic has been turned into a bitch fight. Goodbye Egyptsearch

Okay if you didn't notice it was a man who started slinging insults on this thread.

Secondly even UNIX forums can have a load of 'bitchiness', these boys need to show how much RAM they have bottled up in their testicles.

On the internet people normally repressed lower their inhibitions, people normally nasty choose between relieving their nastiness here or practice making polite sounding insults to booast their ability to being subtle while condescending in real life.

Don't take it seriously.

Alana

posted 21 March 2005 09:59 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Alana     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
mysticheart,
It's true what you said in the states the "pinky" fingernail being long for drug use, usually cocaine. That does apply in many places all over the world. I agree with you , it seems to be the norm to be attacked verbally for a question, or a response. I think you read the post clearly, when you made your remark. It is the way some people on here perceive answers.

Alana

posted 21 March 2005 10:06 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Alana     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
pinkmagic,
Your question is really an honest observation. Don't let a few people get you down, ask away!
You will always have the nasty comments back, just ignore these ignorant people.
Sonomod is right don't take them seriously, they try to force people off the forum by intimidating them.

Karah_Mia

posted 22 March 2005 09:24 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Karah_Mia     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Also, I will always jump up in defense of my friend Karah Mia, she is one of the nicest, funniest people I have the privilege of knowing!!!

.]

Samia, thank you, you da man! Or, sorry, maybe you my girl. Does it mean I am out of closet here again?... Oh well, fine with me.

Ps. It seems we all get high on something the minute we click on ES message boards! But we are all also good peoples and respectable citizens of wherever the second we leave our ES asylum. Let's not get offended, we love each other after all!

Karah_Mia

posted 22 March 2005 09:31 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Karah_Mia     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Karah_Mia

And which tropical insect bit your ass today???

The logic of your statement has stroke me with a speed of light! How oh how could I not figure our before the straight/linear dependency of exotic insect hungry instincts' intensity on the number of anal openings in a human's backyard! You are a genius. And a flirt, you dirty bastard you!

Gamal

posted 22 March 2005 09:25 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Gamal     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
in the states, they use it for drugs, and when they recover from the habit they paint it black as a reminder for them (clean and sober), in Egypt, mainly low lives have that.and it doesn't relate to drugs.

Tigerlily

posted 22 March 2005 09:48 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Tigerlily     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gamal:
in Egypt, mainly low lives have that.and it doesn't relate to drugs.

I do want to believe in it too, I've seen it many of times on guys. But the question is still out: What does it mean? What does it stand for?

mysticheart

posted 22 March 2005 10:01 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mysticheart     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
into a slanging match!!!
haha samia, i think you took my post wrongly,,, i wasnt attacking anyone in particular at all, i just pushed in on one of the posts to do a reply, its just that no one really answered anything about it>>>>> I really wasnt attacking you i promise

[This message has been edited by Samia (edited 19 March 2005).][/B]

mysticheart

posted 22 March 2005 10:07 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mysticheart     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:

and yes, still no one has answered its purpose, only that it is usually low lives in egypt that have this and not for drugs.. but what does it stand for and why?????

ABAZA

posted 23 March 2005 04:08 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for ABAZA     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm not sure about people in Egypt, but I know some Chinese people also grow their pinkies nails and sometimes quite long.

I was told by a Chinese friend that it is done usually by poor people and it serves as an extra multipurpose tool, which would seem to make a little more sense.

ABAZA

posted 23 March 2005 05:46 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for ABAZA     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Here is a sample of replies to your question, but regarding Chinese People's long pinky nails.
=============================================

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question:

Why do some Chinese men grow their pinkie fingernail long?
POSTED 12/22/2002
Ashley, Temecula, CA, United States, 21, Female, White/Caucasian, High School Diploma, Middle class, Mesg ID 1222200220503

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Responses:

Not only Chinese men do that. Black men do, too. My brothers have really long pinky nails.

POSTED 12/30/2002

Camille, Warren, OH, United States, <lafalot07@cs.com>, 14, Female, Black/African American, Straight, middle school student, Less than High School Diploma, Middle class, Mesg ID 1224200225423

In all my 24 years, I have seen only three to five Chinese guys with long pinkie nails. However, I have noticed that they use their over-growned pinkie nail to shovel up cocaine or some other drug substance.

POSTED 12/30/2002

Ricky, Chicago, IL, United States, Male, Asian, 4 Years of College, Middle class, Mesg ID 1224200260409

Chinese men grow their last pinky nail so they can pick their noses. I'm serious: my uncle does it all the time, and it sickens me.

POSTED 12/30/2002

Ellen, Chicago, IL, United States, 17, Female, Christian, Asian, Straight, Less than High School Diploma, Middle class, Mesg ID 1224200270610

Being a Chinese American, I have never heard nor seen what you're talking about. My roommate, who is half white and half Bangladeshian, grows his pinkie nail out to make tasks such as opening letters or packages easier. I think it's gross.

POSTED 12/30/2002

Jason, San Francisco, CA, United States, 21, Male, Asian, Student, 4 Years of College, Upper middle class, Mesg ID 1224200272246

In Chinese - I should say ancient - culture, each finger or groups of fingers are specialized in working with or doing something to a specific human orifice. For instance, the index and middle fingers are used to clean the anus, the ring finger is kept clean, and the pinky is used to cleanse the nostrils. Hence the longer fingernail for simple practicality.

POSTED 12/30/2002

John, Mahwah, NJ, United States, Male, Mesg ID 1224200251002

I am a Chinese male and don't see such a practice in the States or back home, so I guess you are looking at some unique cases. However, back in the days of the Chin dynasty, people did grow their nails in order to show their wealth, i.e. they had long nails to show they didn't have to do any work for themselves and were rich enough to hire maids.

POSTED 12/30/2002

Eddie, Austin, TX, United States, 22, Male, Taoist, Chinese, Straight, Students, 4 Years of College, Lower middle class, Mesg ID 1225200215119

It's done, of course, to snort cocaine; that's why my uncle grows his: to put the coke on the nail and sniff it.

POSTED 12/30/2002

Jenny, n/a, CA, United States, 16, Female, Atheist, Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Straight, student, Less than High School Diploma, Middle class, Mesg ID 1225200294445

According to my mother, it's to pick their nose more easily.

POSTED 12/30/2002

Sarah C., San Francisco, CA, United States, 25, Female, Agnostic, Asian, Over 4 Years of College, Upper middle class, Mesg ID 1226200262301

I think the reason is class-based; it's a subtle way of indicating that one doesn't have to do hard physical work (i.e. farming). Either that, or they do it simply because it makes picking the crud out of their nose and ear easier.

POSTED 12/30/2002

Nick, Chicago, IL, United States, 20, Male, Student, 2 Years of College, Mesg ID 1227200263918

[This message has been edited by ABAZA (edited 23 March 2005).]

Samia

posted 23 March 2005 11:35 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Samia     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Yeeeeeuuukkkk!!!! Gross!!!

Sand In My Shoes

posted 23 March 2005 12:50 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Sand In My Shoes     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
WAEL, I dont understand your point.... does EVERY posting have to be political?? what is the problem of this girl asking about this nail???? Seems like a perfectly innocent question to me!!!

Where exactly are the moderators on this forum?

Sand In My Shoes

posted 23 March 2005 12:56 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Sand In My Shoes     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sand In My Shoes:
Where exactly are the moderators on this forum?

Okkkkkkkk... and before I get jumped here, I clicked on the wrong post to respond to. The post I was referring to probably doesn't even need to really be repeated. Sorry for the confusion.

Samia

posted 23 March 2005 03:10 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Samia     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sand In My Shoes:
Okkkkkkkk... and before I get jumped here, I clicked on the wrong post to respond to. The post I was referring to probably doesn't even need to really be repeated. Sorry for the confusion.

Hmmmmm..... wondered what I'd done wrong there!!!

timbuctoo

posted 24 March 2005 03:46 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for timbuctoo     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
In Asia, growing your pinky nail was a way to distinguish yourself from the lower-class plebs. The logic being that only those who refrained from hard labour could afford the luxury of keeping their pinky nails longer.

mysticheart

posted 26 March 2005 09:31 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mysticheart     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
and still yet not a real answer posted here on this subject... with the exception of the whole asian thing

Samia

posted 27 March 2005 02:39 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Samia     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
and still yet not a real answer posted here on this subject... with the exception of the whole asian thing

I think the general opinion seems to be.. its used for removing horrible things from bodily parts!!! So... check for long fingernails before shaking hands!!!

mysticheart

posted 27 March 2005 04:18 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mysticheart     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
I think the general opinion seems to be.. its used for removing horrible things from bodily parts!!! So... check for long fingernails before shaking hands!!!

hahaha yes it seems so ,, yukky

angelwings

posted 28 March 2005 03:32 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for angelwings     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
hahaha yes it seems so ,, yukky

Yep, digging for diamonds in you know where
gross.......................yuk