Ancient Egypt and Egyptology
  Location ***off topic*** (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Location ***off topic***
Obenga

posted 25 August 2003 12:07 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Obenga     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm curious as to where all the regular posters here are located.

I'm located in East London in England, although I lived for many years in the USA, mostly in Brooklyn New York.

Where are u guys located.

IP: Logged

Ozzy

posted 25 August 2003 01:51 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ozzy     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Im an Australian living in the canary Islands.

Keino

posted 25 August 2003 02:08 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Keino     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Bahamian/west indian living in philadelphia

Kem-Au

posted 25 August 2003 07:47 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Kem-Au     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm from Newark, NJ.

Rhythm Divine

posted 26 August 2003 05:53 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Rhythm Divine     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I am not a regular poster but I am planning to be. And I am an Egyptian currently residing in ALexandria.

ausar

posted 26 August 2003 04:41 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ausar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Glad to see another Egypt on the message board. Intrest in Egytology by Egyptian native is most definatley lacking. The only prominant Egyptian Egyptologist,excluding Hawass,is Selim Hassan.

Whch part of Egypt are you from?

Amun

posted 26 August 2003 07:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Amun     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm from Maryland, USA...

Chu

posted 26 August 2003 08:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Chu     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I've been lurking for a while

I am originally from Springfield, Massachusetts. I currently live in The Bronx, New York

Chuuu!

Kem-Au

posted 26 August 2003 09:21 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Kem-Au     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
Glad to see another Egypt on the message board. Intrest in Egytology by Egyptian native is most definatley lacking. The only prominant Egyptian Egyptologist,excluding Hawass,is Selim Hassan.

there's another egyptian egyptologist, but i can't remember his name. it's a shame because i've seen him so many times. he believes that kmt civilization originated in africa, so i was trying to get his name for obenga. of course now i can't find him.

Amun

posted 26 August 2003 10:25 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Amun     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kem-Au:
there's another egyptian egyptologist, but i can't remember his name. it's a shame because i've seen him so many times. he believes that kmt civilization originated in africa, so i was trying to get his name for obenga. of course now i can't find him.

Moustafa Gadalla?

blackman

posted 27 August 2003 02:02 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for blackman     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Phoenix, Arizona; USA

Neb-Ma'at-Re

posted 27 August 2003 11:02 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Neb-Ma'at-Re     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Troy, NY here. Just outside of Albany.

------------------
Nesu.t-bi.t neb-taui Neb-Maa't-Re sa-Re Amen-hotep

Rhythm Divine

posted 27 August 2003 05:11 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Rhythm Divine     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:

Hi Ausar,
Hi All,

I couldn't agree more... This actually bothers me very much, How come it is called "Egyptology" and Egyptians are the least nation interested in it ???!!!

Well, I've been interested in Egyptology since I was a little kid. Currently I am working on several Egyptological researches I've been working on them for couple of years now but I haven't got the time to finish them yet.

My roots go down to Luxor but my family has been residing at Alexanrida for few decades now, and I am too for the time being, I don't know if I'll move or not I haven't decided yet.

Amun, by the way I wouldn't classify "Mostafa Gadalla" as an Egyptologists he always bring up controversial theories without being based on archeological facts and I believe (and I guess we all do??) that theorizing must be according to facts and evidence that can logically lead to such presumptions and not an arbitrary process of imposing personal conviction and beliefs. One can just take a look at his website to see how deviated he is from the main stream of "unbiased science" I mean Science for science with no hidden agendas, or otherwise how on earth Egyptology is related to his racism against Muslims or Arabs or the septemper 11th brutal terrorists actions ???!
wouldn't you agree??

RD

ausar

posted 27 August 2003 07:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ausar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Well,I have a different opinion on Arabs than most Egyptians. I don't have the grestest love for Islam or Arabs,but I can tolerate people that are different from me.

I also feel that Upper Egyptians,like myself,hold the keys to understanding the pharonic past,and we also represent some of the ones who have not been as saturated with foregin admixture as much as the Delta people have been. However,I do see that many Egyptians tend to embrace their modern Arabic culture;while leaving their pharoanic past behind. I shall not do this because I love my ancestors for what they were worth. This has nothing to do with September 11,or anti-Arab hatred.

You may dislike much of what Gadaalla says,but much of his information is right on the money. He knows about the Baladi,Fellahin,and rual Egyptians are the real desendants of the Ancient Egyptians. Gadalla might be wrong in the manner he adresses situlations,but much of his infromation is right on point. I can verify much of what he says

By the way,I don't consider myself to be an Arab. No disrespect,but I simply donot consider myself to be one.

Kem-Au

posted 27 August 2003 08:39 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Kem-Au     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rhythm Divine:

Amun, by the way I wouldn't classify "Mostafa Gadalla" as an Egyptologists he always bring up controversial theories without being based on archeological facts and I believe (and I guess we all do??) that theorizing must be according to facts and evidence that can logically lead to such presumptions and not an arbitrary process of imposing personal conviction and beliefs. One can just take a look at his website to see how deviated he is from the main stream of "unbiased science" I mean Science for science with no hidden agendas, or otherwise how on earth Egyptology is related to his racism against Muslims or Arabs or the septemper 11th brutal terrorists actions ???!
wouldn't you agree??

RD

true gadalla is not an egyptologist, and true he does sometimes show bias, but his work should not be dismissed. he makes some good points, and usually backs them up.

and egyptology needs to be shaken up a bit. egyptology itself is not based on unbiased science. is a carving on a knife really evidence that kemite civilization came from a mesopotamian invasion?

ausar

posted 28 August 2003 05:06 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for ausar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
''is a carving on a knife really evidence that kemite civilization came from a mesopotamian invasion?''

You are talking about the Gebel-Arrak knife,which has been dimissed in Egyptology as representing an Mesopotamian invasion. This theory was held in high regard by Sir Flinders Petrie,but is know dismissed by the whole entire Egyptology community. An Egyptologist named WB Emery,who discovered the tomb of Nefer,had similar thoughts to the dyanstyic race,but he is no longer taken serious.

We have some evidence of Mesopotamian influence,but not an invasion that was earlier preposed.

Rhythm Divine

posted 28 August 2003 06:46 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Rhythm Divine     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I don't consider myself an Arab also, I am Egyptian, with Pharaonic heritage and thats all. What if the Greek or persian control over Egypt dominated till recent times, would we call ourselves Greeks or persians? I don't mean any disrespect but invasion is invasion with or without a new religion coming along with the package. Provided that I myself am a Muslim but still I am holding on to my earlier mentioned point of view.

I do respect some of Moustafa Gadalla's opinions and I do agree that he raises some very good points which must be taken into consideration, especially those ones which are ""backed up"" with Egyptological evidence, However what I really dislike is his lack of objectiveity sometimes, I don't believe that Egyptology organizations should be assigned to another task other than Egyptology and this is what he actually does in every occasion he can find a chance to express his hatred for the Arabs & Islam he assignes his organization to that task which make it less objective. This is a very dangerous turn that we must avoid pushing Egyptology into, science must always be for science not for policy, racism, religion or personal agandas. By this we can guarantee a safe environment for scientists/ Egyptologists to work in.

I agree that Egyptology needs to be stirred up a lit bit. Most of Egyptologists now are some what "affraid of change", old theories are like holy books for them and any other new theory or suggestion based on scinetific bases is like "heretical". I remember attending a lecture for a several "phd's holder in Egyptology" at Bibliotecha Alexandrina, it was about the pyramids and oblisks and the man was telling the most old and outdated Egyptological thoeries ever, as if they were the ultimate truth. I was going to fall asleep if I was able to quit being so angry for what Egyptology had turned up into.

I think at some point Egyptology was altered to stem its credibility from individuals rather than from archeological facts, evidence and findings so that whatever Zahi Hawas says is right but "whatever" papyrus is telling is aparently wrong because it must have been changed in the second intermediate period for some "Uknown" reason.
I think this must change....

[This message has been edited by Rhythm Divine (edited 28 August 2003).]

Kem-Au

posted 28 August 2003 08:28 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Kem-Au     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:

You are talking about the Gebel-Arrak knife,which has been dimissed in Egyptology as representing an Mesopotamian invasion. This theory was held in high regard by Sir Flinders Petrie,but is know dismissed by the whole entire Egyptology community. An Egyptologist named WB Emery,who discovered the tomb of Nefer,had similar thoughts to the dyanstyic race,but he is no longer taken serious.

We have some evidence of Mesopotamian influence,but not an invasion that was earlier preposed.

it's true that many people no longer accept the invasion theory, but some still do, like david rohl. the oxford history of ancient egypt doesn't seem to support the invasion theory, but it does mention that native kemites were gradually replaced over time.

now they don't go into enough detail about what they mean so i'm a little confused, but the do seem to think that someone replaced the natives, and that book was published just 3 years ago.

Ozzy

posted 28 August 2003 02:32 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ozzy     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Who am I?

Hello, I live in Spain so I suppose I am Spanish
But I was born in Australia so I suppose that makes me Australian.
But my mother is Spanish so I suppose that makes me Spanish.
Although my father is Australian so I suppose that makes me Australian.
Or maybe that makes me half Spanish and half Australian.
But my father’s father was German, so I suppose that makes me part Spanish and part German-Australian.
But my mother is actually born in the Canary Islands and has history of aboriginal Guanche on her Mothers side of the family so that makes me, Part Spanish, part Canary islander, part Australian, and part German.
Now my fathers, mothers side of the family are English and they have lived in an Australian Country gold mining town were Chinese, Australian Aboriginal and Swedish were introduced to the family at intervals over 150 years. So that would make me part Spanish, part Guanche, part Australian, part German, part Chinese, part Australian aboriginal, and part Swedish
Recently whoever my mother found out the Canary Islanders from Tenerife were actually from North Africa, and she posses similar Dna to the Berber, So that would now make me part Spanish, part Guanche, part North African part Australian, part German, part Chinese, part Australian aboriginal, and part Swedish,.
What I didn’t know till recently is that my Fathers mothers’ father was actually Scottish and have a long history in the Scottish hinterlands. So that will now make me, part Spanish, part Guanche, part North African part Australian, part German, part Chinese, part Australian aboriginal, part Swedish and part Scottish.
And If that wasn’t enough. My Scottish side of the family who live in the hinterlands were involved in Dna studies of people of the area to see what affect the centuries of invasion had made on the local population, they found that their family had little Anglo-saxon, Vikings, Romans, or Norman blood but had maintained the Celtic blood similar to the Basques, who live in a mountainous refuge on the French-Spanish border, who it turns out, also sport a proportion of the North African DNA. So now that would make me part Spanish, part Guanche, part North African part Australian, part German, part Chinese, part Australian aboriginal, part Swedish part Scottish, part Celtic, and even part north African again.
If I went back more than three generations I’m sure I would find more. So when someone asks me who I am, I say, I’m just me!!

“My Daughter Bernadette”

egypt toursclub 2003

posted 30 August 2003 06:22 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for egypt toursclub 2003     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
hi freinds

i am an Egyptian and live in Egypt

also i am managing a web site about travelling to Egypt called : www.egypttoursclub.com

or contact me through :
sales@egypttousclub.com

Shepenwepet

posted 31 August 2003 09:16 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Shepenwepet     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hi

I'm also new to this board. I was born and live in the UK, though I don't like admitting it because I'm not a great fan of the British and have never felt I belong here. I feel much more at home when I'm in Egypt.

Ozzy - that was a great post. If you were a dog I'd say you were a mongrel, the most robust, good-natured and loyal of 'breeds'. But I guess we are all mongrels if we go back far enough. The Brits are a mixture of Celtic, Roman, Scandanavian and ancient British to name but a few races. And where did the Celts originate - probably the Middle East!

------------------
www.egyptsites.co.uk

Shepenwepet

posted 31 August 2003 09:20 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Shepenwepet     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
What about one of the greatest Egyptian Egyptologists IMHO - Ahmad Fakhry!

------------------
www.egyptsites.co.uk

Kem-Au

posted 03 September 2003 08:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Kem-Au     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Amun:
Moustafa Gadalla?

I'm not having much luck catching the program again, but i have seen a good 2 or 3 times. perhaps one of you may have seen it. there were two egyptologists, one was a younger looking woman, and the other was an older arab man who looks a little slimmer than hawass.

anyway, when asked about the origin of kmt, he said that when the sahara dried up, there were people wandering the desert with desert technology, and people situated along the nile with river technology. the meeting of these two groups and the sharing of their ideas gave birth to civilization.

the woman just mentioned that it was once fashionable to believe that kmt's civilization was born from a foreign invasion, but today evidence shows that that is not the case. but i can't remember either of their names.

ausar

posted 03 September 2003 08:30 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ausar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
''What about one of the greatest Egyptian Egyptologists IMHO - Ahmad Fakhry!''

Can't forget Selim Hassan. He wrote a magnum opus on the Sphinx. Most Egyptian Egyptologist get no credit.

Evaire

posted 04 September 2003 11:01 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Evaire     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hi! Im part Egyptian...and now reside in California...but I lived in East Africa for about 4 years....Are there any other ppl from the West Coast?

Reguards

Bulldog

posted 10 September 2003 10:06 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bulldog     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hi
I'm from Harlow, Essex UK.
I do travel to egypt every year or twice a year if I can afford it.

Tarah

posted 15 September 2003 10:12 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Tarah     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hello from Dallas,Texas---following Ozzy's lead of his genealogical breakdown, but not quite so detailed I am of Cherokee, Italian(Sicilian), and Spanish-French(otherwise known as Cajun from Louisiana) descent. I am proud of my mixed heritage but if you visited my home you would think I'm Egyptian! I love the ancient art and the history of this mysterious land I wish to see.

Meritaton

posted 22 September 2003 01:29 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Meritaton     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Obenga:
I'm curious as to where all the regular posters here are located.

I'm right here before my computer.

Damien_Fernandes

posted 07 October 2003 07:20 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Damien_Fernandes     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm Damien Fernandes bka "Duro". I'm in school in Germany at University of Maryland but I'm from Brooklyn.

[This message has been edited by Damien_Fernandes (edited 07 October 2003).]

Osiris II

posted 05 November 2003 12:33 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Osiris II     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Evaire, I was born in Long Beach, California. My father was working for the U.S. government, so I've lived in most of the United States. Currently, I am back in Long Beach, California, and have been for the past 15 years. I now own my own home there. I have been interested in Egypt for the last 50 years! I love Egypt, and have been there 8 times now--I guess Luxor would be my favorite spot.

Ayazid

posted 06 November 2003 06:11 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ayazid     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Iīm half Czech, because my mother is Czech, but my father is from Guinea-Bissau.At present, I live in Czech republic, in the city Brno.

Ayazid

posted 06 November 2003 06:26 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ayazid     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I have a question for Aussar and Evaire: If you are living in USA consider you the Americans to be black? I know that in USA there is anybody with some negroid admixture cosidered to be black, so are you "black" for them?My mother father is black African and for majority of my czech compatriots Iīm black.

Ayazid

posted 06 November 2003 06:33 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ayazid     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
My father is black African and for majority of my czech compatriots Iīm black.

Sorry for mistake

Ayazid

posted 06 November 2003 06:39 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ayazid     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
By the way,I don't consider myself to be an Arab. No disrespect,but I simply donot consider myself to be one.

Aussar,everyone who speaks arab language like his motherīs tongue is considered to be Arab, you donīt speak arab?

ausar

posted 06 November 2003 06:54 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for ausar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Ayazid,from my outward apperance many people do often confuse me with a black American,but my culture is very different than that a black American. To be honest I have no problem with idenitifying with any Black ancestry I might have. Because when people see me walking down the street in New York they automatically think I am a black person without asking me what nationality I am,so I have no problem with the indenity.

I don't agree with you acessment on being an Arab. Egyptians most definatley are in many ways Arabic in culture,but share a different history than many of those in the Arab world. Arabs to me are not Northern Africans,but people from the Gulf to the Sinai. People who are nomadic bedouins are true Arab;as well as the Hashemites in Jordan who claim desent from the phophet mohammed[pbuh]. So it is not fair to say people who speak Arabic are Arabs. Much of the Egyptian coloquial Arabic spoken by Egyptians is even different from the dialects used in the gulf countries. Saidi Egyptian is almost non-understandable to both Cairene Egyptians and Arabs.

ausar

posted 06 November 2003 06:57 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for ausar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I must also express that most of my life I have grown up in America. So I am deeply aware of the social stigma in America of so called being indeitfied with a certain race. I have no hang-ups about my indeity or who I am. Neither do most Egyptians,but when they come to America they often donot understand the country and their policies.

Anyway,let's get off this racial issue and talk about ancient Egypt[KMT].

Tarah

posted 06 November 2003 08:23 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Tarah     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Just curious, Ayazid, why you have posted at least three queries about black or white race? Why is it so important to you? No offense intended.

Ayazid

posted 06 November 2003 08:56 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ayazid     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Tarah, for me is this question only interesting, but you have right if you think that itīs not important.But some people have about it various individual feelings and I want to know what for. And especially interesting respecting racial issues are the Americans!!!And racial classification of the ancient Egyptians is other interesting question which is here, by the way, very often discussed and apparently, it makes occasionally very flaming passions ...

Ayazid

posted 06 November 2003 09:14 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ayazid     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote

I don't agree with you acessment on being an Arab. Egyptians most definatley are in many ways Arabic in culture,but share a different history than many of those in the Arab world. Arabs to me are not Northern Africans,but people from the Gulf to the Sinai. People who are nomadic bedouins are true Arab;as well as the Hashemites in Jordan who claim desent from the phophet mohammed[pbuh]. So it is not fair to say people who speak Arabic are Arabs. Much of the Egyptian coloquial Arabic spoken by Egyptians is even different from the dialects used in the gulf countries. Saidi Egyptian is almost non-understandable to both Cairene Egyptians and Arabs.

Aussar, itīs true but fact is that 90% of the Arabs then arenīt Arabs because their origin is rather berber, coptic, arameic,nubian etc.The Arabs which I know said me that the arab language is basic link of all Arabs and ground of their identity.Of course, itīs especially classical Arabic but itīs undeniable fact that all arab dialects from Mauritania to Oman have their common roots in the dialects of nomadic Arabs which emigrated from the Arab peninsula to all these countries in the Middle Ages.

ausar

posted 06 November 2003 09:29 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for ausar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
''Aussar, itīs true but fact is that 90% of the Arabs then arenīt Arabs because their origin is rather berber, coptic, arameic,nubian etc.''

Yes,and most of these groups you mentioned donot indentify with Arabs. Coptic is just a term that the Arabs used for all Egyptian populations who were then mostly aminist or Christain. Even today,Sa3eadi Egyptians,due to their circumstance and isolation,have a distinctive culture that sets them apart from the other Arab groups. Much of the politics of these people might concern the Arab world,but they are by definition not ''true Arabs'' in the sense that Hashemites are.

You might have heard about Mawali. This was mandated by Arabs as a instrument of colonial conquest where Persians,Berbers,Coptics[Medevil term for Egyptians that includes all Egyptians],and other people. The people were forced to become clients of the Arabs in order to convert to Al-Islam. In the case of Egypt many converted to avoid Jizya tax and keep their property.

During the Arabic through Turkish period the Egyptians indentified themselves as ''Baladi'' denoting rual populations that remained ture to their culture. This is still much of the setiment of rual sa3eadi and Baladi Egyptians. Even though,many rual Egyptians are becoming increasing Arabized.

ausar

posted 06 November 2003 09:35 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for ausar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
''.Of course, itīs especially classical Arabic but itīs undeniable fact that all arab dialects from Mauritania to Oman have their common roots in the dialects of nomadic Arabs which emigrated from the Arab peninsula to all these countries in the Middle Ages.''

Saidi Arabic dialects are different from either of these dialects. They pocess many Sahidic Coptic words. Sahidic Coptic was spoken in Upper Egypt during the 16 th century. This means that rual Egyptians pocess much of the same language as their ancestors.

The original people of Mauritania are the Bafour known to be the ancestors of the Soninke,Wolof,and other people of that region. During the Middle Ages nomadic Arabs from Yemen moved in and blended in with the aboriginal black population. Before all the Arab migrations there was a culture there with walled cities built with stone that praticed agritculture. This culture also grew out of the cultures of Dhat Tchitt around 1500 B.C.

By the way,the Amazigh[Berbers] are fighting a war against Arabization. You call them Arabs and they will spit on you for insulting them. As a sa3eadi,I feel the same way about my culture and pratices.

ausar

posted 06 November 2003 09:40 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for ausar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Nasser had arab ancestry:

Indeed,the village seems to have gotten its name from the Beni
Morrtribe of the Hejaz in Arabia who,according to tradition,settled
the area 1,300 years ago during the Arab conquest of Egypt. The
Nasser family,one of the larger ,more prosperous in the village,came
to Beni Morr in the late sevententh century. A former foregin
minister who worked for Nasser believes,that the sentimental side of
Nasser's Arabism---as distant from the hard,strategic interests that
drove his Arab policy---may have steemed in part from his family's
Arab tribal origin.3
Lorenz, Joseph P. Egypt and the Arabs: Foreign Policy and the Search
for National Identity. Colorado: Westview Press,1990.
page 21

Ayazid

posted 07 November 2003 02:55 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ayazid     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Aussar,the upper egyptian dialect is maybe different from the Cairene one, but itīs undeniable that itīs ARAB dialect and no any foreign language.

ausar

posted 07 November 2003 03:45 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for ausar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
''Aussar,the upper egyptian dialect is maybe different from the Cairene one, but itīs undeniable that itīs ARAB dialect and no any foreign language.''

It is colloquial dialect not fully Arabic. It is distinct from Gulf Arabs and other Arabic dialects. Believe me,life in Said is like night and day compared with the Northern Region. You have to vist or go there to know for yourself.

Ayazid

posted 12 November 2003 11:38 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ayazid     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Aussar, I believe you that a life in the Upper Egypt is different from life in the Lower Egypt, but itīs certain that arab dialects from Maghreb are all the more different from a classical Arabic, but they are still Arabic!!!!!

Artemisis2

posted 12 November 2003 03:58 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Artemisis2     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Wow, I had to go back to the top to see what the original question was!
I live in California. Minute Egyptian heritage years past - but I still identify with it-why not? Visited a few times, have a few friends in Egypt, too.
Ausar, you're in Brooklyn. Didn't the Brookyln Museum renovate their Egyptian section not too long ago?
As to Egyptian Egyptologists, what about Nasry Iskander, the mummy specialist?

poudro

posted 23 November 2003 12:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for poudro     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
so u dont have much intrest in islam or arabs so the same honey moslems and arabs dont got any intrest in u u dirty rate , who cares about ur intrests??????
quote:
Well,I have a different opinion on Arabs than most Egyptians. I don't have the grestest love for Islam or Arabs,but I can tolerate people that are different from me.

I also feel that Upper Egyptians,like myself,hold the keys to understanding the pharonic past,and we also represent some of the ones who have not been as saturated with foregin admixture as much as the Delta people have been. However,I do see that many Egyptians tend to embrace their modern Arabic culture;while leaving their pharoanic past behind. I shall not do this because I love my ancestors for what they were worth. This has nothing to do with September 11,or anti-Arab hatred.

You may dislike much of what Gadaalla says,but much of his information is right on the money. He knows about the Baladi,Fellahin,and rual Egyptians are the real desendants of the Ancient Egyptians. Gadalla might be wrong in the manner he adresses situlations,but much of his infromation is right on point. I can verify much of what he says

poudro

posted 23 November 2003 12:31 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for poudro     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
hi to all i am 30 male spain living in egypt in alexandria i got soo much love and respect for moslems and arab .
i am willing to have new friends .
e-mail : amoranos@masrawy.com

The Libyan Bedawi

posted 24 November 2003 02:56 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for The Libyan Bedawi     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
25 yr old ARAB! Libyan/egyptian male living in austin texas

Horemheb

posted 29 January 2004 06:47 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Horemheb     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I live in Houston Texas after growing up in Oklahoma. Teach Western Civ, US history and American lit to 1865 at one of our local colleges. Spent several years studying the American civil war but have switched most of my private reading to AE over the last five years.

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2