EgyptSearch Forums
  Ancient Egypt and Egyptology
  why did Egyptian civilization last so long?

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   why did Egyptian civilization last so long?
matt1625

posted 10 September 2003 03:22 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for matt1625     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm a new student on Egyptology. I'm fascinated by this people and culture. I'm new to surfing the net and researching in depth.

I'm looking for some insights and opinions from someone who has more time and experience than me in studying this ancient civilization, and why you think it was so successful. I will keep studying myself, of course, but I'd like to hear what you think.

Please reply as soon as possible. I'm working on some deep research.

Also, you can email me at matt1625@yahoo.com

thanks!

IP: Logged

Monica

posted 10 September 2003 10:02 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Monica     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Maybe this will help;

The civilization of pharaonic Egypt lasted for almost three thousand years, and that is far longer than any other culture of the ancient world. This fact gives a continuity to Egyptian culture and its art.

More than once, Egypt rose, flourished, declined and fell by the way. Long before the classical Greece, Egypt had already enjoyed at least 3 peiods of prosperity and centralized power.

And then came the periods of decline and change known as the First, Second and Third intermediate periods.

Actually, Egypt has changed dramatically and perhaps more so than any other culture. New styles have developed with new reigns, with new dynasties and with the arrival of new historical eras.
AND
The annual inundation of the croplands which occurred when the Nile rose in flood provided the most dramatic marker of the progress of time..... I CAN GO ON AND ON....

Have a great day!

Monica

quote:
Originally posted by matt1625:
I'm a new student on Egyptology. I'm fascinated by this people and culture. I'm new to surfing the net and researching in depth.

I'm looking for some insights and opinions from someone who has more time and experience than me in studying this ancient civilization, and why you think it was so successful. I will keep studying myself, of course, but I'd like to hear what you think.

Please reply as soon as possible. I'm working on some deep research.

Also, you can email me at matt1625@yahoo.com

thanks!

matt1625

posted 10 September 2003 06:49 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for matt1625     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
thanks Monica
i appreciate it a lot.
what do you think about the reasons for their continual success?
i'm wondering how much their religious attitudes and government foundation affected the success of their dynasties and civilization. what do you think?

ausar

posted 10 September 2003 07:39 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ausar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
''The civilization of pharaonic Egypt lasted for almost three thousand years, and that is far longer than any other culture of the ancient world. This fact gives a continuity to Egyptian culture and its art. ''

Ancient Kemetian civlization lasted for over 5,000 years. You have the beggining at approximatley 3100 B.C.-625 AD. The pressence of Ancient Kemetian civlization has so much continuity that it can be felt in rual areas of Modern Upper Egypt. Customs,traditions,and traits can still be seen amung rual Egyptians in modern Upper Egypt.

Monica

posted 10 September 2003 10:20 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Monica     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Civilizations of the ancient Mediterranean are of great interest to me, so I'll try to answer to the best of my knowledge and ausar will back me up or add. to my knowledge.

My information and my understanding regarding the subject matter is as follows; the stability of Egyptian civilization arose from a unique set of circumstances centred on the ecology of the Nile valley.

Apparently, in a normal year the fields along the Nile produced a large surplus of grain. When that surplus was gathered it could be used to sustain rulers, palaces, craftsmanship and huge building projects. Those achievements were maintained over twenty centuries despite periods of breakdown.. then, the country became weaker and a series of conquerors followed : the Asssyrians, the Persians, the Greeks and the Romans. And of course they were eager to exploit Egypt's riches and Egypt became drawn to the world of the Near East and the Mediterranean. For the Greeks, Egypt was a sort of fountain of wisdom and some beleive that Egypt was the origin of their own civilizations. If you notice the Greek monuments, temples and sculptures they are pretty much influenced by Egypt. And then the Roman emperors used Egypt's grain to feed their people in Rome. When Constantinople was founded in AD 330 - I beleive, the grain supply of Egypt was diverted there, allowing the city to become established and to flourish ....so I guess it is justified that the Nile is the priniciple reason!

Ausar? what do you think?

quote:
Originally posted by matt1625:
thanks Monica
i appreciate it a lot.
what do you think about the reasons for their continual success?
i'm wondering how much their religious attitudes and government foundation affected the success of their dynasties and civilization. what do you think?

Kem-Au

posted 11 September 2003 12:54 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Kem-Au     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Monica:
Civilizations of the ancient Mediterranean are of great interest to me, so I'll try to answer to the best of my knowledge and ausar will back me up or add. to my knowledge.

My information and my understanding regarding the subject matter is as follows; the stability of Egyptian civilization arose from a unique set of circumstances centred on the ecology of the Nile valley.

Apparently, in a normal year the fields along the Nile produced a large surplus of grain. When that surplus was gathered it could be used to sustain rulers, palaces, craftsmanship and huge building projects. Those achievements were maintained over twenty centuries despite periods of breakdown.. then, the country became weaker and a series of conquerors followed : the Asssyrians, the Persians, the Greeks and the Romans. And of course they were eager to exploit Egypt's riches and Egypt became drawn to the world of the Near East and the Mediterranean. For the Greeks, Egypt was a sort of fountain of wisdom and some beleive that Egypt was the origin of their own civilizations. If you notice the Greek monuments, temples and sculptures they are pretty much influenced by Egypt. And then the Roman emperors used Egypt's grain to feed their people in Rome. When Constantinople was founded in AD 330 - I beleive, the grain supply of Egypt was diverted there, allowing the city to become established and to flourish ....so I guess it is justified that the Nile is the priniciple reason!

hi monica,

many egyptologist no longer believe that egyptian civilization orginated along the nile. it is now believed that the sahara was once hospitable, and that when it began to dry up, the inhabitants moved in search of wetlands. the ones who settled in upper egypt would found the first egyptian dynasties. i'm leaving out alot of details, but for more info, do a search on nabta playa.

matt1625

posted 11 September 2003 02:59 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for matt1625     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
monica,

thank you. i wondered about the climate and natural resources as being an important factor. this sound quite reasonable and logical to me.

quote:
Originally posted by Monica:

ausar

posted 11 September 2003 09:20 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for ausar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
w

ausar

posted 11 September 2003 09:25 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for ausar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
''My information and my understanding regarding the subject matter is as follows; the stability of Egyptian civilization arose from a unique set of circumstances centred on the ecology of the Nile valley.''

Many Egyptologist know believe that Kemetian civlization was jump started by a group of pasotrial people frm the Central Sahara region. This is a new theory proposed by Toby Wilkinson in his new book ''Genesis of the Pharoahs''. Kemetian civlization seems to have been a establishment of Badari,Naqada,A-Group Nubia,and the Saharan pastorial people who left their mark on Nabta Playa in Southern Egypt.

You are correct that the instability of Egypt was caused by various foregin invasions. The problem really started around the 12th dyansty when masses of Asiatics started to swarm the Delta region. The other problem was that,unlike Greece and Rome,Egypt was never really a millitary super power. Egypt defence system was really weak,and this allowed the more war like Mesopotamians,Eastern Medditereans,and others to storm Egypt and take it over.

Monica

posted 11 September 2003 12:55 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Monica     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hello to all,

Happy to help you a bit Matt, and thanks to ausar and Kem-Au, for their informative addition.

What about the religion part of the original question, though? we haven't touched on that issue.

Permit me to start with the following, and please add info, I will appreciate it a lot:

In ancient Egyptian religion, there was a characteristic that was ever present and particular, it was the readiness to hold a variety of beliefs simultaneously with changes from period to period. There were deities in wholly animal or human form, as well as cosmic ones like the sun and the stars. Unlike modern conceptions of a One God, the beliefs were manifested in plants,animals, cult objects statues and even the king himself.

It seems that the ancient religion was mostly based on a fundamental belief, that behind birth, decay and death there was a changeless essence, some eternal blessing for which all Egyptians longed.

Almost like expressing and unbroken culture by tracing the religious names and images the way they did.

What is the influence of the ancient Egyptian religion beleifs, today, you think?

It is indeed a fascinating subject so please add on!
Thanks
Monica

quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
''My information and my understanding regarding the subject matter is as follows; the stability of Egyptian civilization arose from a unique set of circumstances centred on the ecology of the Nile valley.''

Many Egyptologist know believe that Kemetian civlization was jump started by a group of pasotrial people frm the Central Sahara region. This is a new theory proposed by Toby Wilkinson in his new book ''Genesis of the Pharoahs''. Kemetian civlization seems to have been a establishment of Badari,Naqada,A-Group Nubia,and the Saharan pastorial people who left their mark on Nabta Playa in Southern Egypt.

You are correct that the instability of Egypt was caused by various foregin invasions. The problem really started around the 12th dyansty when masses of Asiatics started to swarm the Delta region. The other problem was that,unlike Greece and Rome,Egypt was never really a millitary super power. Egypt defence system was really weak,and this allowed the more war like Mesopotamians,Eastern Medditereans,and others to storm Egypt and take it over.

ausar

posted 11 September 2003 04:45 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ausar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
''In ancient Egyptian religion, there was a characteristic that was ever present and particular, it was the readiness to hold a variety of beliefs simultaneously with changes from period to period. There were deities in wholly animal or human form, as well as cosmic ones like the sun and the stars. Unlike modern conceptions of a One God, the beliefs were manifested in plants,animals, cult objects statues and even the king himself. ''

I disgaree with this:Ancient Egyptians did have a montheistic relgious traditions that goes back well before Akenaten's hersey. The early reminants of Egyptian montheist thought can be found in the treatie of the Instructions of Ptahhotep. Animal whorship was only one factor of Ancient Egyptians,because the Kemetians themselves believed that their deities were a blance anbd manfiested through one deity,Maat. Egyptians would often place symbolic notations to the Kheprea,a dung beatle, to represent a deeper meaning.

When I point out Ancient Egyptian surivals,I am simply talking about Modern Egyptian peasent in Upper Egypt. The relgion they pratice through heavily fused with Islamic concepts is still the same relgion that their ancestors praticed. The survials are cearly evident in Modern Egypt in rual villages. This is not just by my untrained eyes,but by many European travelers,Egyptologist,and rual Egyptians themselves.

Monica

posted 11 September 2003 07:37 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Monica     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Very informative ausar.
May I ask where do you get your information? and are you an Egyptologist?
Thanks.
Monica

quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
''In ancient Egyptian religion, there was a characteristic that was ever present and particular, it was the readiness to hold a variety of beliefs simultaneously with changes from period to period. There were deities in wholly animal or human form, as well as cosmic ones like the sun and the stars. Unlike modern conceptions of a One God, the beliefs were manifested in plants,animals, cult objects statues and even the king himself. ''

I disgaree with this:Ancient Egyptians did have a montheistic relgious traditions that goes back well before Akenaten's hersey. The early reminants of Egyptian montheist thought can be found in the treatie of the Instructions of Ptahhotep. Animal whorship was only one factor of Ancient Egyptians,because the Kemetians themselves believed that their deities were a blance anbd manfiested through one deity,Maat. Egyptians would often place symbolic notations to the Kheprea,a dung beatle, to represent a deeper meaning.

When I point out Ancient Egyptian surivals,I am simply talking about Modern Egyptian peasent in Upper Egypt. The relgion they pratice through heavily fused with Islamic concepts is still the same relgion that their ancestors praticed. The survials are cearly evident in Modern Egypt in rual villages. This is not just by my untrained eyes,but by many European travelers,Egyptologist,and rual Egyptians themselves.