Ancient Egypt and Egyptology
  Are Egyptians arabs? (Page 2)

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Are Egyptians arabs?
Toofaan

posted 04 January 2004 07:27 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Toofaan     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Dear ausar!

I appreciate your response and your honesty! whatever you mentioned about Egyptians is true about most of the nations in that region of the world (including Iranians) at least for last few hundred years! This is exactly the reason of my concerns and many others who are trying to find the root cause of all sufferings and misery which has been imposed on those nations for centuries! The mentality of accepting slavery for others and being exploited in order to survive!
I must say that I found your conributions on this board very interesting and valuable to the subject and I appologize for this unrelated topic in your forum but as you know, it was not me who brought the topic here and appreciate your understanding. Please feel free to contact me through e-mail at kooroshirani@hotmail.com if you like.

best regards

[This message has been edited by Toofaan (edited 04 January 2004).]

IP: Logged

egypt_cairo1

posted 09 January 2004 06:06 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for egypt_cairo1     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Toofaan:
[b]Dear ausar!

HELLO DEAR

IN FACT AND YOU HAVE TO BE SURE ABOUT THAT,
yessssssssssssssss EGYPTIAN ARE ARAB, ITS NOT MATTER THAT THERE IS SOME ARAB ARE NOT GOOD, BUT IS ALL USA AND EUROPE PEPEOLE ALL ARE GOOD, THERE IS BAD AND GOOD EVERY WHERE , MR SANDEL DID NOT KNOW ANY THING IN FACT IAM SO SURE HE IS NOT EGYPTIAN, WHAT EVER YOU ARE EVERY 1 HAVE TO BE CARE ABOUT HIM SELF ARAB OR NOT.... THANKS ALOT

Toofaan

posted 10 January 2004 07:36 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Toofaan     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
egypt_cairo1?!

I don't understand your point. could you elaborate please! My question is not about who is good and who is bad! the question is if you really know where you came from and what is so good about being an Egyptian?! what are you proud of and why?! why is it that a nation which has been so rich culturally during ancient times is part of
third world class nations now?! do you think the influence of arabic culture has had any role in this matter?! do you understand the reason behind the attacks of arabic conquerers to ancient Egypt?! and do you understand the results of it?! why do you think that Egyptians are arabs?! do you mean that Egytptians are the same people who used to live in Saudi Arabia?!

regards

ausar

posted 10 January 2004 11:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ausar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Part of the problem is that modern Egyptians feel somewhat alienated from their ancient past due to their relgious background. Imams teach young Egyptians that his ancestors,the Pharoahs,were the sole people responsible for the opression of the people in the Torah. No consideration is given to if any of these stories in the Torah or Quran might be true or not. Understand I am not criticism Islam or Christainty,but just explain that in each of these pratices explains why modern Egyptians feel little connection with their pharoanic past.

As I mentioned before,the schools in Egypt are big conspirators of helping Egyptians forget about their past very easily. Unlike other nations,Egypt is the only country I know of where children in Egyptian school donot learn about the ancient past. You go to other countries like Greece,Italy,and even in some Arab countries they emphatize the cultural past to achieve the future. I have never understood why Egypt is this way,but hopefully the new political party of Umm Al Masry is going to bring about a change.

What might be alarming to people is the fact that many Egyptians know well that ancient Egypt never died with the invasion of the Arabs in 640 AD,but continued to live in the very rual areas of Egypt. Even to this day you can see pharoanic rituals that accompany Islamic rites in perfect synchrenization. Khawags or foreginers have no idea when Fellahin,Sa3eadi,and Baladi Egyptians make salat,go to mosque on fridays,and celebrate Mouleds they are disgusishing anciet rituals from the long distant past. These cultural survials amung the rual people in Egypt is well documented in a book called Fellahin of Upper Egypt by Winfried S Blackman.

I guess the other reason why so many Egyptians indeitify with Arabs is because of Nasser, Nasser came about in Egyptian history when Egypt was recovering from the hegenmony of Turkish rule,so Egyptians had very little of a political foot to stand on. Nasser,being half Arab himself,deicided to champion the causes of Pan-Arabism that would give Egypt a political existence and pressence in the world at large.

Ozzy

posted 11 January 2004 06:26 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ozzy     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Quote: Ausar" Unlike other nations,Egypt is the only country I know of where children in Egyptian school donot learn about the ancient past. You go to other countries like Greece,Italy,and even in some Arab countries they emphatize the cultural past to achieve the future."

Ausar it is unfortunately very common around the world for Indiginouse ancient history or even more common history prior to religouse "revolution" changes to be neglected in public or private school systems. In particular those countries that have been populated by others, which make up for a large number of countries in the western world, Although some countries offer these studies as further education.

RE: Australia were History after occupation by Europe is part of the curiculum in all schools, RE: Captain Cooks discovery of the country and the proceding ocupation. However 60,000 years of Aboriginal history is neglected. The same aplies to the Americas, North and South, New Zealand (Although New Zealand has included much more in recent years). India, Spain,(Canary Islands), Japan,(the Ainu, Japan until recent years even excluded the WWII). Turky, China, Korea, Indonesian Islands, Morocco, Algeria, Bosnia, Croatia, etc, etc, etc. There are many of them. Countries like Greece and Italy, fortunatley retain most of their origins and therfore are connected to thier history. I dont know if you have noticed though, but Italians refer to the Romans as Romans not Italians, Country Italians consider them as a people other than themselves but still part of their history and culture. That may not come out the way I mean it, but you have to see it to understand.

My point is that It is common around the world, and Religion is a major contibuting factor. When history is a threat to religion then this will be supressed. Or in relation to other countries were religion is not the contributing factor it is simply the history of the occupation takes precident. I have seen in the last ten years things have been changing in Aboriginal studies in many countries, but it is nowere near were it should be.

Regards

Ozzy

egypt_cairo1

posted 12 January 2004 05:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for egypt_cairo1     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Toofaan:
[b]egypt_cairo1?!

who used to live in Saudi Arabia?!

regards[/B]

hi how are you?
first ausar said we dont learn our incient history in scholls , in fact thats not true, if he is from egypt and learn here he will know that we studyed all the ancient history, and from that history we know that the most of egyptian now are not phoaros and thats why? becuse there is alot of pepole from diffrent countiers came here and lives here for many years ago and married her for that you will find the blak and white tall and short and alot of pepole but have the same face, what i means look to germany pepole france itlien and pepole from russien and uk you will find most of those pepole are smillier, about what he said about Nassae egypt dont need to do that egypt have a very good place in the world in the middle and lot of things to say , but easly maybe arab is not in the good days now, but you also have to rember in the 17and 18 sectry arab was leed the world now the europe and american , but thats is the world you cant leed it for ever, so iam not shame that iam arabien iam arabien egyptian and we are all are speaking arabic , but that friends in fact said alot of things and i was woundring how can he so sure about some things like that and he is even not egyptian , maybe from books he knows every thing about education here but in fact all what he said not true
any way my friend , i want to ask you why you are want to know if the egyptian is arab or not what is the proplem????
take care

Undead

posted 12 January 2004 08:55 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Undead     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hi! I am very pleased to see discussion on this subject. I am Egyptian, and I feel connection to being Arabic, but I know that Egypt is ARABIZED and not ARABIAN. Arabized means that the Arabs that came to power during the Muslim conquests made efforts to make the Egyptian culture transform into something more like Arabian culture. We are not like those in Saudia or the peninsula. Our culture is similar because we have been dominated by Islam. However we have many aspects that the Arabians do not. Islam has villified indigenous Egyptian culture, and it is a TERRIBLE SHAME that most Egyptians see their past as evil just because some ignorant Imams tell us so. It is the same thing that many Muslims face when they travel to Europe or America. They are made to feel shame for their culture just as the Arab/Muslims did to our Egyptian ancestors in the past. Sure, there were many other ethnic groups that lived in Egypt, but they embraced our old ways, they did not try to erase them. There have even been temples to the old gods found in Europe... even as far as England! They have an ancient temple to Isis which was found in ruins in England, which dated back to the time when Egypt was with Rome. The Romans brought Egyptian religion to England and Europe.
Anyone in Cairo that would like to meet with me and discuss these things is welcome! I would even treat those to dinner because I love to share these ideas with other Egyptians. Debate is welcome. Sharing perspectives is an excellent opportunity to grow.

Undead

posted 12 January 2004 09:09 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Undead     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Umm sorry this posted twice on error. Anyway I have since read some crazy posts on this subject, and don't wish to be further involved in this particular thread. If anyone would like to discuss things seperately a PM is fine! Thanks.
Egyptians the same as Black Americans...? I have lived in the US for 15 years and we don't even look alike. Egyptians don't even look like Sudanese... ah well. Believe what we will.

[This message has been edited by Undead (edited 14 January 2004).]

jmac800

posted 13 January 2004 05:06 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jmac800     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I will stop these stupid questions. Egyptians are not multiculture we are one culture most and that is arab. Arab is are culture we worship All-h go to mosque etc. We are 99% og Hamitic stock so yes we are also black. Our race is black we are black people. I'm tired of people postin dumbness and trying to call us white or paki. The same way how blacks in America are is the same way we are but smarter and a different religion. I'm an Arab but I'm black I speak arabic so I'm an arab anyone who speak arabic is an arab regadless of race ethnic background or relgion. Black is my race. The only white people in Africa are those from South africa and zimbabwe. Other than that Africa is a continent of nearly homogenus people with different ethnic groups and backgrounds.

ausar

posted 13 January 2004 11:47 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ausar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
The issue is not about what ethnicity modern Egyptians or ancient Egyptians are. Clearly,Egyptians differ in ethnciity from north to south. This has alwayws been the case with Egyptians that the Northern Egyptians were more Asiatic and Medditerean,and the southern Egyptians in Upper Egypt were more African.

I am an Egyptian myself living in America,and I would like to point out that not all Egyptians are cutlurally Arab. Lots of indigenous Egyptian culture still survives in enclaves in rual parts of Upper Egypt and the Baladi neighboorhoods in Cairo,so I take offence calling myself an Arab. Being a Muslim is not about being an Arab,because most people in Indonesia are Muslims but are not ethnically Arab. The arguments that all Egyptians are culturally Arab is a weak argument when determing who is an Arab and who is not.

To understand the question you must study Egypt from the Greco-Roman period leading up to the Arabic invasion in 640 AD. Looking at this period we discover that when the Arabs invaded there was only a total of 16,000 Arab armies. These few Arabs set up various camps in what is know Cairo that eventually developed into a cosmopolitan empire. However,in the vast rual areas of Upper Egypt were not pentrated untill about 13th and 14th centuries by nomadic Arabs let loose by the Mamelukes. When the Arabs did come incontact with the Fellahin,a bitter relationship of slave and master soon developed. Prior to this incident Fellahin were living very much like their ancient Egyptian ancestors.

Contrary to popular belief,the Islamic conversion of the Sa3eadi did not take away elements of the ancient Egyptians in their relgion. Often you will see rual Egyptians synchrinize their traditional relgion with the Abrahmaic faith of Islam. Other elements survive in Sufi orders and folk relgion. These pharoanic survials have been well documented by Western scholars like Winfried S. Blackman in his book Fellahin of Upper Egypt

Foreginers in Upper Egypt have existed for quite a while,but overall the Upper Egyptians remain the purest of the Egyptians because of their isolation. Unlike Cairo,the Delta,and Alexzadria,Upper Egyptians have abosrbed less foreginers. The only foreginers in Egypt are a few Arab tribes like the Hawara,Afshaf,Bani Hilal,and Horobat. The Hawara and Afsfaf mostly live in Asyut;while the Horobot and another tribe called the Jamashah live in the areas of Luxor and Quena. Overall the mixture with these people has been minimal at best. Most people from Asyut to Aswan look very different from Arabs that live in the gulf countries.

During the Arab Caliphte in Egypt,the Arabs had a policy called Mawali that forbid foregin Egyptians from mixing with the Arabs. This policy extended over the Magreb to Persia. This same policy also dictated that all non-Arabs must submit to Arabs and become their customer without any choice. So being an Arab during the Middle Ages was determined by purity. Even today,the Hashemites in Jordan claim to be the purest Arabs,and most certainly don't consider Egyptians to be real Arabs.

Many Sa3eadi since the days of the oil boom have moved to many regions of the Gulf countries only to find they are treated very badly. Of course this is the same with most foregin workers,but Egyptians are looked down upon by Gulf Arabs as being simply just cheap labor. I know this for a fact because I have many family members who have told me about their experiances in countries like Iraq,Baharain,Qatar,and United Arab Emirates. It matters very little to these Arabs that Egyptians consider themselves to be so.

ausar

posted 14 January 2004 03:10 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for ausar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
This following information might shed some light on exactly how Arabs treated their subjects during the Middle Ages. The following also illustrates the concept of the Mawali that was effective during the Middle Ages in the conquered people the Arabs encountered. Obiviously during the Middle Ages,being an Arab was based upon purity,and this was emphatized in Mawali.

quote:
At first the fighting was done only by the bedowin Arad
warriors,lured on by the booty of the luxurious empires they were
destoying,they did not settle as owners of the lands they had
taken,but went on seeking further conquests. At this stage the Arabs
formed the the ruling class amung Muslims;the Islmacist state was
essentially an Arab confederation. The idea that non-Arabs should
become Muslims ,although clearly sationed by the Koran,was still so
unfamilar that any convert who was not a full member by descent of an
Arab tribe had to become a mawali,or clients,of one of them.
Persians,Egyptians,Berbers of Northern Africa and even Arabs by blood
and language who had failed to prove their full membership of the
dominant caste became mawali. Page 40
In theory they were treated equal to the 'pure' Arab Muslims but
impratic they were treated with contempt by these Arab warriors and
for some time denied more than a residual share in treasure accuired
by their conquests.
Page 40
This is how the confusion over the term 'Arab' first arose. Members
of the imperial ruling class were proud of being Arab,however dialute
their Arab ancestry might be. But they were also inclined to refer
disparaginly to those tribesmen who retained their nomadic way of
life and refused to settle diown,[The contemptous attiude was
cordinally reciprocated.] In some parts of the Arabic speaking ,such
as Egypt,the wider tense of the term Arab,that is someone of Arab
culture,was virtually forgotten. In the ninetenth century un Egyptian
Arab was a nomad or semi-nomad who inhabited the desert or the
frideges of the Nile Valley. the wider meaning was only revived in
the twentith century with the reinassaine of Arab nationalism,when
Egypt took up it's natural position as the most powerful of the
indepdent Arab state. However,the suggestion that Egyptians 'are not
really Arabs is still heard if with diminishing frequency.
Page 47
Peter Mansfield
The Arab World: A Comprehensive History
by Peter Mansfield.

this further elaborates the rual Upper Egyptian Fellahin that were disconnected from the Urban metropolis of Cairo during the Middle Ages. These communites remained rual and never mixed with foreigners like the city dwellers.

quote:
Arab writters on the rual Egyptian Fellahin during the Middle Ages
While the villages live on in their enclosed world,almost untouched
by the influence of Islam,the cities were the product of the great
medevil Islamic civlization which was essentially urban. The city
dwellers depised the Fellahin and had almost no contact with them
excepot in the purchase of their crops. It is no exgeration to say
that the citzens of Cairo felt more in common with the inhabitants
felt more in common with the inhabitants of Damacus or Bagdad than he
did with a Egyptian fellahin. All the Arabic litterature of the
period belongs to the cities and provides no insight of the country
side.
Page 100
The Arab World: A Comprehensive History
by Peter Mansfield.

Kem-Au

posted 17 January 2004 12:35 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Kem-Au     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2004/673/he2.htm

multisphinx

posted 15 February 2004 03:21 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for multisphinx     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
sup yall
airghht lets be sr8. i can see some haters on this forum the ones sayin islam is a religion only for arabs, hell naw dat aint tru look all over the world everywhere, from indonesia, malaysia, china, phillipines, Parts of Russia,europe, sothe america, canada, africa,united states(40% of muslim in the us are African American)and on and on. 4real, iranin boy u are trippin. Islam was sent to the true prophet and that was prophet muhammad he spread it. And GOD never said arabs are the true people, he just choose the koran in that language because he wanted it that way he is God and does waht ever he wants. it that way because he wanted it, i believe in all the prophets, and i believe prph mu is the last one because God wanted it that way. now i dont want to be all preechy but if some white boy is goona tak sh**t that i gotta get things srt8 no offence to aswar i see what how u care about ur past ansetors i feel ya,
arabs before islam was brought, worshiped stones and sculptures of dates, they were ignorant savages, but when islam came, it changed all of that.
TODAYS leaders of the muslim world are all corrupt that is why they are 3rd wolrld countries. Islam is great religion and the Koran has meanings of the true words. First of all u cant read one verse whithout reading the whole passage it makes a difference. lets look at the Ottaman empire in the begging it was such a powerful empire because it followed the true teachings of islam, women in that empire, were the only ones who had rights being able to own bussiness. not until corruption came in hand, and religion forgot the empire fell.
hell naw osama aint no leader of islam, he takes the extreamist side of his own kind of islam, because u aint allowed to kill no innocent life, in islam if u take one life away its like takin the rest of humanity away.

iranian boy, u are a hypocrite, dawg get bac on track, awsar, dont mean to preach but that white boi attacked my religion and dem wannabe egyption could not come up with a good reply. i am egyption, i believe egyption are only arab in only one way, and that is they speak the language, other than that we are not arab as arabs in arabia. they got a totally different culture then we do.
thankyou i hope u learned somthin

ausar

posted 15 February 2004 08:17 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for ausar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Welcome to the message board. I appreciate another opinion from another Egyptian. I agree with you that Islam is not an Arabic relgion nor strictly for Arabs. Please read my responces to various claims that have been made on this message board. I feel that Egyptians still retain a good portion of our pharoanic heritage that can still be seen in the rural country side.

Ayazid

posted 16 February 2004 08:40 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ayazid     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Egyptians the same as Black Americans...? I have lived in the US for 15 years and we don't even look alike. Egyptians don't even look like Sudanese... ah well. Believe what we will.

UNDEAD

YA SALAAM!!!

YOU ARE ... ABEET!

YES, THE MAJORITY OF EGYPTIANS DON´T LOOK ALIKE THE MAJORITY OF "BLACK" AMERICANS AND SUDANESE ARABS, BUT SOME DO! MAINLY IN THE UPPER EGYPT, AYWA WALLA LA?!? MAYBE, YOU ARE WHITE AND VERY DIFFERENT FROM THESE ONES, I DON´T KNOW, BUT YOU KNOW THAT THERE ARE 70 MILIONS OF THE EGYPTIANS AND MAJORITY IS NOT WHITE!! MAYBE, THEY ARE MOST CAUCASOID THAN "BLACK", YES, THAT´S TRUE, BUT THERE ARE SOME NEGROID ABORIGINAL ELEMENTS IN EGYPT WHICH ARE UNQUESTIONABLE!!! ONE MY EGYPTIAN FRIEND, AND HE IS RATHER LIGHT THAN DARK-SKINED, SAID ME THAT THE ANCIENT EGYPTIANS WERE DARK, AFRICAN NATION, YA´NEE, THEY HAD SOME AFRICAN FEATURES AND THE UPPER EGYPTIANS ARE THEIR DIRECT, UNMIXED DESCENDANTS!!! HE SAID ME ALSO THAT IN THE EGYPT, THERE IS A FEW OF LIGHT-SKINED PEOPLE.AND THAT´S TRUE. AT PRESENT, THERE ARE VARIOUS PHENOTYPES IN THE EGYPT, AND NO EGYPTIAN CAN TO SAY: "WELL, I AM ´WHITE´(OR ´BLACK´) AND MAJORITY OF MY NATION IS ALSO ALIKE ME, SO WE ARE ... NO, YOU EGYPTIANS ARE VARIOUS!!!
http://www.kevinclarkphotography.com/egypt.html
http://www.gabrielopenshaw.com/EgyptFarafra.html
http://www.gabrielopenshaw.com/EgyptBahariyya.html
http://www.gabrielopenshaw.com/EgyptCairo2.html

I HATE IGNORANTS, BOTH BLACK AND WHITE(ETC.)!!!

KHALAS!

Ayazid

posted 16 February 2004 08:50 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ayazid     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
http://nnilsson.free.fr/mouled3/Home2.html

Toofaan

posted 07 March 2004 11:05 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Toofaan     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
jmac800!

I find your post rather interesting! you seem to have an easy resolution to every problem! I wonder why every one else is not able to see such simplicity in this matter?! one thing which you might have missed is that the question is not if Egyptians are white or black! the question is about what happened to the historical and cultural hearitage of Egyptians?! what happened to their language?! and why?! all experts in the world who have studied racial history of the mankind and different ethnic groups believe that arabs were those who lived in deserts of Saudi and had a certain way of living!
based on your short hand analysis and rapid conclusions, all French speaking Africans are French and all English speaking Asians are British! I would say that is very convinient way of thinking but not neccessarily correct! I would love to hear more from you about your solid arabic links hopefully when I come to visit next time.

multisphinx!

I enjoyed reading your post! I do not understand why are you so offended?! suppose your numbers are all right and I can even add to them and let's make the whole world 100% "moslems"! now what?! wiil the whole world be living like you do in Egypt?! or Saudi arabia?! will the whole world be speaking arabic to make it easier for allah to understand them?! if not then why you should pray in arabic?! if ther was no need to be arab then how and why did Egyptians become arabs?! why they did not turn Romans or Persians?!

regards

multisphinx

posted 08 March 2004 07:27 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for multisphinx     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
tAFOON INTA YA KALB Dont be ignorent u know why i am mad. if i were u i would take out a book and actully learn and understand your relgion. In the Quran it never said Allah only speaks arabic, no such thing, arabic is a language like any other language made by humans, and Allah understands every language, even persian, we are all god creation, and throught the years he sent many prophets like MOSES, ISMAIL, JOSHUA, JACOB, JESUS,ETC.. ALL THESE prophets to fullfil that message that their is one God. BUT Throughout time people will again become ignorant, so Allah(GOD)SENT PROPHETS DOWN again to staighten people out. As most should know the last prophet was Muhammad (PBUH)before him was JESUS (PBUH)His message was sent through the Bible, but as time passed this bible began to change people added things of their own, putting what they like and taking what they dont like, so bible totally changed (as we can reallate to today their are hundred of sect of christianity)that the reason ALLAH(God) sent the last prophet and this prophet Allah(God) choose to be the last, and since he is God he choose the Quran to be in Arabic, like with any of the past holy books (torah Allah choose to be in Hebrew)God choose it this way. the arab people before the prophet was sent used to be greety savages with no life worshipping stones and sculptures of clay the latter would eat for dinner. untill God sent down the messenger who changed the hearts of the people,and what changed their hearts were the words of the Quran(untill now the Quran has been preserved nothing changed in the book at all not one letter)
Now Islam did not spread to Egypt Nigeria, India, China,and spain with with the Arab force, it spread because the Quran opened the peoples hearts. As we all Know Islam is the fastest gorwing religion and its not because the arabs forced their way into Egypt and other countries that they are Muslim countries now, its because they were changed by the Qurans words and believed in these true verses that gave a true meaning of life. i CAN GO ON iRANIaN BOY BUT I dont wont to Preach, because this aint no preaching forum, but i gots to get thing straight around here, Especially when we got haters. Aight holla.

Toofaan

posted 20 March 2004 11:43 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Toofaan     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
multisphinx!

you amaze me in some ways but let's not talk about that now! from your message above, not only I could not see any answer to the questions but some more questions came to mind! you said there is only one god but I wonder why that single god created different religions?! if the ones prior to islam had shortcomings then whose fault is it?! and how do we know that islam does not have any problem if the previously created religions by god had some flaws in them?! I still don't understand why egyptians had to become arabic speaking and relinquish their cultural heritage all together after coming of arabs to their land?! was that done valuntarily?! for what reason?! is it normal for a whole nation to change their language and forget all their cultural heritage all of a sudden?! even in north america which Brits, French and Spanish brutally supressed the aboriginal residents, they managed to keep their language and tradtitions alive although they learned the language of invadors and colonialists!

p.s. I do not understand arabic language

regards

ausar

posted 20 March 2004 01:01 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ausar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Toofan,not all of Egypt became Arabic or even adopted the Arabic culture when the Arabs invaded. How many times do I have to tell people on this message board[ad infinitum] that rural people in Upper and Lower Egypt retain much of their native culture and traditions even to this day. All one has to do is look beyond the city of Cairo to see this is apparent in the population,but even in the back alley neighboorhoods in Cairo you will see rural Upper Egyptians who still retain a good deal.

The language spoken by the modern Egyptians,especially in Saeed,is very unique in gramamatical structure and even assorted phrases and words survive from anttiquity.

Egyptians never adopted Christainty,Islam,or any other alien Abrahmaic faith without force. The exception is the Sufis in in Upper Egypt that was brought there from El Minya to Luxor. Remeber also that the folk religion of the peasent Egyptians bears more in resemblence to traditional African based religion which was also reflected in ancient Egypt. Most rural Egyptians don't pratice orthadoux Islam but highly syncretic folk religions. Understand also the moulids in Sufism also take the places of the traditional religious ceremonial festivals along the Nile in Egypt. This is simply a fact stated.

I have no reservations about Islam,Christainty,or any other religious doctrine,but I believe that modern Egyptians don't really pratice any of these religions in accordance to standard orthdoux norms. Most Khawagas[foreginers] are unaware of the traditions.

Anyway,I hope this sets many things straight. Try reading some books about Late antiquity Egypt and your answers will be answered the best way possible.

Toofaan

posted 20 March 2004 05:59 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Toofaan     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
ausar!

I understand your point but do you deny that arabic is the dominant language not only in Egypt but also in most of northern African nations! It's good that some smaller ethnic groups have been able to hold on to some of their rich cultural heritage (in fact, it is admirable and great!), but to the world, Eyptians are just another arab nation because there is no sign of their non-arab past in anything, except their museums!
If some ethnic groups have been able to preserve part of Egyptian's historical and cultural past traditions and values then why is it not promoted through out the nation and why Egyptians are passively accepting their new arabic identity and a great nationalist leader like Naser became the rep of pan-arabism rather than pan-Egyptianism?!

regards

ausar

posted 20 March 2004 06:13 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ausar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Toofan,Nasser's ancestry was mostly Arabic. His father came from the Banu Meir in El Minya. This was one of the main reasons for his embrace of Pan-Arabism,but he also helped out the common balady Egyptian that never had a voice under the British or the Turkish forced. Understand also that well before Nasser thee existed people like Saad Zaghul that proclaimed Egyptians were not Arabs and were a race that didn't need Arabs.

Just like the Persians have Nawruz,we Egyptians have our national festival Shem El Nessim that goes back to pharoanic times.

Alot of the elite in modern Egypt are not ethnic Egyptians at all but actually desendants of Pashas.

IdrusaAgarena

posted 24 March 2004 10:24 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for IdrusaAgarena     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Well, I think that my beloved Zar rite is indeed a proof that Egyptians still hold tight their pre-arabisation features! And something else, if you allow me. A certain ability into reading the past to build a future (i don't remember in which thred someone kinda denied it).
EGYPTIANS! That's what you did:
1. First attempts to re-humanise Islam (Muhammad Abduh!)
2. Renewing and LEADING the rebirth of Arabic Literature (hehehe...what the saudis were doing in the meantime?)
Indeed as a Mediterranean i think you have been great. Always original contributions to civilisation...and from the very beginning!
Be proud of being just what you are EGYPTIANS!
That strong sense of roots allow you to be open to the others. Even if something got lost with time.
And don't mind all that silly questions of colour and skin and stuff. There is much more to be proud of. Secondly, don't forget the contribution of others to your greatness (i mean other African components)...but I really know I don't need to tell you.
I'm sooo proud of being trained by Egyptians at the moment! I can't help it.

With esteem
IdrusaAgarena

IdrusaAgarena

posted 24 March 2004 10:26 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for IdrusaAgarena     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Well, I think that my beloved Zar rite is indeed a proof that Egyptians still hold tight their pre-arabisation features! And something else, if you allow me. A certain ability into reading the past to build a future (i don't remember in which thred someone kinda denied it).
EGYPTIANS! That's what you did:
1. First attempts to re-humanise Islam (Muhammad Abduh!)
2. Renewing and LEADING the rebirth of Arabic Literature (hehehe...what the saudis were doing in the meantime?)
Indeed as a Mediterranean i think you have been great. Always original contributions to civilisation...and from the very beginning!
Be proud of being just what you are EGYPTIANS!
That strong sense of roots allow you to be open to the others. Even if something got lost with time.
And don't mind all that silly questions of colour and skin and stuff. There is much more to be proud of. Secondly, don't forget the contribution of others to your greatness (i mean other African components)...but I really know I don't need to tell you.
I'm sooo proud of being trained by Egyptians at the moment! I can't help it.

With esteem
IdrusaAgarena

ausar

posted 24 March 2004 12:48 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ausar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Idrusa,you should look up people like Saad Zaghul who very proud of his Egyptian idenity. We need more people like him because this would shape and mold the foundations of modern Egypt into the great civlization it once was.

Mohammed Abdu,Sheikh Tahtawi,and others clearly defined themselves as simply being Egyptians and proud of the fact they were. Tahtawi was really the first to define who and what the Egyptians were.

My concern is documenting pharoanic culture that still exists amung the rural Egyptians however obscure it might be. This should gain attention from wider scholars in Egypt and is worthy of a book. I doubt you will ever see such a publication due to Egypt's firm embrace of Arabism as a political entity.

Toofaan

posted 27 March 2004 07:29 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Toofaan     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
dear egypt_cairo1!

I have stated the reason for my questions a few times in earlier posts but for your information, I am just trying to understand the reasons behind so much misery in the part of world which moslem nations make a good majority of it! I want to know what happened to the nations in that part of the wolrd who were once pilars of civilization on this planet but today, they are trailing civilized world centuries after coming of Islam and acceptance of arabic culture in their lands!
Arabs were never leading the world in anything except barbarism and chaos! their so called message of peace was imposed on other nations (including Egyptians) with the force of sword and enslavement of the conquered nations! it's true that arabs have been mixed with native people in the territories which they attacked but accepting this is different than saying Egyptians, who were a lot bigger population than arabs, became a minority in their own land!
My friend! you should be proud of being an Egyptian whose ancestors have made great contributions to the whole community of human beings on this planet! Egyptians, Persians and Romans (today's Turkey as part of it) have started their descent right after being conquered by arabs whose motives were not to bring peace and brotherhood but to loot and enslave the rich nations and take possession of ready made civilization and make luxurious palaces and live luxurious lives in cities instead of staying in deserts with snakes and reptiles! Egyptians, as well as Romans and Persians all became moslem nations but from all of those, It is only Egyptians who turned into and remained arabs! that is just another loss on top of others! in my belief, Egyptians, Romans (Turkish), and Persians should become more aware of their true national identity and work in direction of freeing themselves from being clsoed minded slaves of an ideology which has been nothing but for demoralizing of the people and keeping them with the mentality of slavery and away from being progressive, creative and innovative!

regards

[This message has been edited by Toofaan (edited 27 March 2004).]

ausar

posted 27 March 2004 07:39 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ausar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Toofan,do you have an email adress? I would ike to send you some information about what you speak of?

Toofaan

posted 27 March 2004 07:49 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Toofaan     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Dear ausar!

I like to thank you for all the information that I have gained through your valuable contributions under this and other threads! My e-mail address is sohrab@excite.com which I have put in one of my posts earlier too and I would be more than glad to here from you and see those links!

regards

sohrab@excite.com

multisphinx

posted 29 March 2004 06:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for multisphinx     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
iaa u all. i am takin to the foo no at all Toughkhara shyt man, u takin this to far u tryin to bring religion in to this briging lame arguments. First of all God choose it he is GOd does what ever he want we are the servents we obey. The reason he did this is to test the ignorent like u see if they fallow what he commands or disobey him. Ausur u Egyption and cuz u are i will respect but their is one thing u said i will argue with and that is Islam was not forced onto the people. When the Muslims invaded they took the land, and let the people of the land live however they want and follow the religion they pleased, they were told about Islam those how felt and were touched became Muslim, they never ever where forced. I will prove it in a differnent since when the Ottomen Empire grew in the early times, Jews were kicked from Europe and discrimnated against and were made to leave where do u think they went they went to the OE Where JEWS CHRISTIAN AND mUSLIMS LIVED IN PEACE. iN SOME places the jews and muslims shared a building to conduct their services, christian on sunday mus on fri. How do u think Islam reached the china India, indonisia with Force i DONT think so cuz the ARAB armies never went that far. it was the traders who brought the message and people were touched by what they heard. One more thing the prophet could neither read or write so he could not get such ideas from his head. i CAN GO on but u know i gots things to do. so holla

ausar

posted 29 March 2004 06:54 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ausar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
multisphinx,I am not blaming any particualr religion,nor am I pointing the fingers at Al Islam. However,facts are fact,and nobody can dispute that the Arab caliphtes and other others under their control stole land from the indigenous Fellahin in the countrside.

Up untill the 14th century,the Sa3eadi[Upper Egyptians] remained isolated from the governing populace,so most Egyptians also wheater in Upper or Lower Egypt lived by rural substence farming and trading their goods to the people in the cities.

The Mamelukes later in the 14th century displaced many Arab tribes further south in places like Sohag and Girga. The Hawara tribe as they were called wrecked havoc upon the Egyptian population often raiding villages and kidnapping women. For the most part the Egyptians in the countryside didn't adopt Islam untill later,and it was most a synchreinzation of Sufism and traditional pharoanic beliefs. Upper Egyptians were converted to Al-Islam by a Sufi saint named Abu'l Hagag. His mouled enacted every year is similar to the Opet festival in pharoanic times.

sunstorm2004

posted 31 March 2004 10:02 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for sunstorm2004     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
>>Personally,I feel there was nothing wrong with the ancient Kemetian relgion. The more I study about what spirtual poratices my ancestors had the more I relize how the Abrahamic faiths are nothing but pale rip offs. <<

Amen, brother, amen! (Or should I say Amun, brother, Amun )

Horemheb

posted 01 April 2004 08:52 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Horemheb     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Ausar, Every society has a nationalistic aspect to its culture. In Mexico for example many historians look back fondly on the pre Columbiamn Aztec culture. With that in mind are there any in Egypt who feel the pull of the old religion? How many threads of nationalism exist in Egypt today both politically and culturally?

ausar

posted 01 April 2004 01:10 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ausar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
It's hard to really tell who's a nationalist in Egypt because much of it unfortunatley becomes intertwined with Arabism. The point of the indigenous Egyptian-ie the Fellahin and Sa3eadi population becomes drowned in constant religious fervour and misguided Arab nationalism.

Plenty of people feel like me but are afraid to speak up against the very Egyptian goverment. Fortunatley a new political party Umm Al Masry is coming into power to establish a new understanding connection modern Egypt with their true pharoanic roots of the past while still substanting itself in the ''Arab world''.

Just like in pre-columbia American soceities like the Maya,the indigenous Egyptians still exist and have synchrinized their religion much like the Maya have catholcism.

Ayazid

posted 02 April 2004 01:43 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ayazid     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:

Up untill the 14th century,the Sa3eadi[Upper Egyptians] remained isolated from the governing populace,so most Egyptians also wheater in Upper or Lower Egypt lived by rural substence farming and trading their goods to the people in the cities.

The Mamelukes later in the 14th century displaced many Arab tribes further south in places like Sohag and Girga. The Hawara tribe as they were called wrecked havoc upon the Egyptian population often raiding villages and kidnapping women. For the most part the Egyptians in the countryside didn't adopt Islam untill later,and it was most a synchreinzation of Sufism and traditional pharoanic beliefs. Upper Egyptians were converted to Al-Islam by a Sufi saint named Abu'l Hagag. His mouled enacted every year is similar to the Opet festival in pharoanic times.

Ausar, I am curious if there are any differences in features and culture between Upper Egyptian "Arabs" like Hawara and "original" fellaheen.

ausar

posted 02 April 2004 02:09 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for ausar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
''Ausar, I am curious if there are any differences in features and culture between Upper Egyptian "Arabs" like Hawara and "original" fellaheen.''

Yes,mainly due to body structure and facial features. The Hawara and other bedouins live in special districts of the village called nag .

See the following:

Race hatred ,between the Arab and Fellah,through lulled by common lives and common interests, never completely disappears and furnishes the explanation of many a village drama.

the Arab scorns agritcultural tradition and the fellah. This scorn goes back to the earliest times.
Mention of rural life ,always present in the Gospels,is absent in the Quran,and for the conquering Arabs the countryside remained for long the abode of infidels and tax payers.

page 112

First published in France in 1938 under the title Moeurs et Coutumes des Fellahs

first English translation Published in Cairo in 1945

New English translation with revisions by the author published by Beacon press in 1963
copyright 1963 by Beacon Press

Published simultaneously
in Canada by
S.J. Reginald Saunders
and Company ,Ltd, Toronto

Henery Habib Aryout
The Egyptian Peasent
Translated by
John Alden Willams

In the region of Dahna,between Qena and Girga,the Hawaras and the fellahinregarded each other with profound hatred. A meeting ,a carless word,would give way to bloodshed,and the spite existing between the two stocks led in 1947 to a small-scale war.

page 112

First published in France in 1938 under the title Moeurs et Coutumes des Fellahs

New English translation with revisions by the author published by Beacon press in 1963

Published simultaneously
in Canada by
S.J. Reginald Saunders

Henery Habib Aryout
The Egyptian Peasent
Translated by
John Alden Willams

As we have seen,up to the nineteenth century the land and its cultivators belonged to the state and a few land owners. The Fellahin had no reason to live on farms,the more so as they were exposed to the raids of brigands and plundering Arabs.

page 88

Published simultaneously
in Canada by
S.J. Reginald Saunders

Henery Habib Aryout
The Egyptian Peasent
Translated by
John Alden Willams

Villages can be classified according to the importance. The district centers[markaz]--the marketing places or centers of pilgrimage--- are large villages or even small towns where they have other occupations and instituions,such as banks,courts,police stations,railways center,shop area,hospital as well as a club for the white collar class. The detached but still depdendent hamlets,such as the 'izbas' of the big land owners,and the sedentary Bedouin settlements,nag, on the edge of the desert,are at the other end of the scale.

page 90

Published simultaneously
in Canada by
S.J. Reginald Saunders

Henery Habib Aryout
The Egyptian Peasent
Translated by
John Alden Willams

The fellah is a sturdily built man,though rarely stout. His skull and face are broad,his forehead narrow,his eyes dark and hair curling. He has rather prominent cheeckbones,athick nose,full but seldom protruding lips and a heavy jaw. His features on the whole are rugged but not ill-favored,and are neither very sensitive nor expressiive. His thick wrists ,ankles,and neck distinguish him the supple Bedouin. His back is rounded,his shoulders not so much sloping as bent toward his chest and his hips are narrow. he has rather large flattish feet,and is rarely tall,his average height being about 5 feet,6 inches.

page 66

Published simultaneously
in Canada by
S.J. Reginald Saunders

Henery Habib Aryout
The Egyptian Peasent
Translated by
John Alden Willams

Published simultaneously
in Canada by
S.J. Reginald Saunders

Henery Habib Aryout
The Egyptian Peasent
Translated by
John Alden Willams

Ayazid

posted 06 April 2004 06:22 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ayazid     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Thanks. But how do these bedouins look? Have you any photos of them?

blackman

posted 07 April 2004 05:29 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for blackman     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Here is a little something.
http://medic.bgu.ac.il/bedouin/people.html

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2