EgyptSearch Forums
  Ancient Egypt and Egyptology
  Why do you think AEs stopped building pyramids?

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Why do you think AEs stopped building pyramids?
Marcus

posted 09 March 2004 10:42 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Marcus     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
- on a large scale anyway. there are a number of theories, some more plausible than others...

IP: Logged

ausar

posted 09 March 2004 11:43 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for ausar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Either because of change in theological belief or because pyramids made easy targets for tomb robbers. The last pyramid was built during the reign of Ahmose.

Kem-Au

posted 09 March 2004 12:36 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Kem-Au     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
For some reason Cushites kept building them, though the style was slightly different. More research is needed on why.

ausar

posted 09 March 2004 12:48 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ausar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Most texts I have read say the pyramids were inspired by the sun's ray aka the Benben stone.

One interesting note about the Kushite pyramids is that the mdu ntr symbol for a pyramid is the same exact as the smaller pyramids in Nubia. Unlike the Egyptian pyramids these places contained an underground chapel.

Marcus

posted 09 March 2004 01:57 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Marcus     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I may be wrong but I remember someone saying that he'd seen a documentary which centered on a theory that Egyptian pyramids were inspired by pyramidal rock formations in the desert. He mentioned Nabta Playa as well.

Does anyone know what he was talking about?

ausar

posted 09 March 2004 02:49 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ausar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I have heard that mountains around the Nile provided inspiration for the pyramids in Egypt. I also heard that the alingments of Nabta Playa are similar to the Djoser complex in Saqqara.

Osiris II

posted 09 March 2004 09:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Osiris II     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
It would seem that the pyramids were a logical progression of tomb-building.

First, Mastabas were the most popular. Then with the addition of more mastabas staggered on the top of each other, the Step Pryramid was created. Filling in the steps--the true pyramidial form was created. Altho I have heard it theorized that the Step Pyramid's design was first thought of as a means of extending the Pharaoh's tomb above the surrounding walls of the enclosure.
I think the main reason for pyramids falling out of favor as burial sites is that the AE realized they were not doing what they were built for. The burial of every Pharaoh in a pyramid was violated, and the burial robbed. There seems to have been an ever-existing search for more secure burials--that in 99% of the cases failed. And, in most of the robberies, the robbers seemed to have knowledge of the tombs plan. Even with all the false rooms, corridors starting in blank walls, pits, etc. that was used as deterrants, the robbers seemed to have an ability to go directly to the burial. Sounds as if there was some sort of collusion between the robbers and the builders--or, perhaps in most cases, the builders WERE the robbers.

Kem-Au

posted 09 March 2004 11:21 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Kem-Au     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Of course there's always the theory that the pyramids were not tombs (with the exception of Djoser's). After all, they do not have the vital spells needed to guide the soul to the afterlife. All tombs have these.

ausar

posted 10 March 2004 06:37 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for ausar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Well,no bodies have been found in any of the early pyramids except for the one of Teti which I believe contained a body in it. The pyramid of Djoser contained a little small foot of what was expected of Djoser.
During the Old Kingdom most Egyptologist postulate that only the Per-aa[pharoah] so the non-royal Egyptians could not expect to have a afterlife untill about the Middle Kingdom.

What do you think the spirtual significance of the Mirs[pyramids] were?

Kem-Au

posted 10 March 2004 12:57 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Kem-Au     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
Well,no bodies have been found in any of the early pyramids except for the one of Teti which I believe contained a body in it. The pyramid of Djoser contained a little small foot of what was expected of Djoser.
During the Old Kingdom most Egyptologist postulate that only the Per-aa[pharoah] so the non-royal Egyptians could not expect to have a afterlife untill about the Middle Kingdom.

What do you think the spirtual significance of the Mirs[pyramids] were?

That's tough to say, but I'm not at all convinced that they were tombs. Djoser's pyramid for example had an offering chapel. That's a clear sign of a tomb. The other pyramids don't have this. So the question becomes, if they weren't tombs, what were they? Some have speculated that they were some sort of genrators that used water somehow.

ausar

posted 10 March 2004 01:13 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ausar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Or perhaps maybe shrines. Richard Wilkinson in the Complete Temples of Egypt claims that Djoser step pyramid was a combination of shrines from Upper and Lower Egypt.

Are you aware the Mdu Ntr word for Mir means acension. I still believe the Mirs represent a spirtual significance to the Ntr Re. I believe this also because it was during this time when the pr-aa's kingship became associated with the sun[Re].

blackman

posted 10 March 2004 02:21 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for blackman     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I belive the original pyramids were for a burial tomb. I believe they stopped building pyramids because of the time and resources needed to build pyramids. Also, later kingdoms had more conflicts with neigbors and rising powers. It's hard enough to build a pyramid, without external conflicts.

Alsaadawi-4

posted 11 March 2004 02:31 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Alsaadawi-4     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
The Ancient Egyptian Pyramids are neither tombs nor shrines. Also they are not telescopes or bases from which sun barges ride the sunrays carrying the king and his fellows to meet the sun-god r3 in the highest sky and shake hands him saying we came to visit you, to the end of those silly explanations.

The Ancient Egyptian Pyramids were a **MUST** for Egypt during the Old Kingdom era for many important reasons. They were the highest important **national** projects. Due to the successive wild invasions to Egypt during the far pre-dynastic eras, they realized that the Ancient Egyptian Great Civilization is in great real danger of being stolen, demolished and razed. Therefore, they were racing the time to stabilize and record, by all means, their great cultural and civilized accomplishments in all scientific directions, like: language, medicine, architects, industry, chemistry, religion, decor, fashion, marine industries, military, trading, economy, management, social rules, etc, etc. Only giant projects could include all those cultural constituents. And as we see, they succeeded in all that. When they felt that they succeeded in their purpose they stopped building them. Without those pyramids and other great AE monuments Egypt could has been related to other faked evil cultures as we hear now from some people that it's arabian or coptic, or roman or persian, etc. I had some discussion on other Egyptian group and someone said that so and so in Egypt belong to the arabian and coptic eras in Egypt. I answered him: 'yes, you are right because the River Nile, the Great Pyramid, the Great Sphinx, the Great Obelisks, the Palermo Stone, the Pyramid Texts, the Egyptian shores, the Egyptian towns and villages, the AE great Temples, the Valley of the Kings, etc etc, belong all to the arabians and the copts'!!!! Long long thousands of AE years belong to only few coptic and arabian years!!

The three pyramids of Giza have many great meanings, some I declared and some I keep until the media allover the world will be really free and unbiased then I'll declare the real secrets of those great monuments.

[O24] - [O24] - [O24] = mr - mr - mr = mSr - mSr - mSr = Egypt - Egypt - Egypt

=

**you were the Best Nation evolved for mankind, peacefully invite for right and kindly forbid wrong**

Therefore, when we see a **pyramid** anywhere then it means:

**real Egypt is here**.

That's the real meaning of the 'Pyramid'!!

Alsaadawi 4

ausar

posted 11 March 2004 07:04 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for ausar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Thank you for recieveing my email and coming back Dr. Alsaadawi. I notice you mentioned invasions in Egypt via during the pre-Dyanstic times. I hope you are not feeding into the ''Dyanstic Race'' nonsense postulated by people like Sir Flinder Petrie. His observation comes from so-called findings of Mesopotamian influces in Egyptian pre-dyanstic art that only show some borrowing but never of an invasion into Egypt.
I suggest the best think you can do,Dr. Alsaadawi,is kept thing secret because eyes are watching and all eyes are on the ancient Egyptians.

Look at the story I posted about the native Egyptian sufi named Dhul Nun Masry who knew how to decpiher hieroglypics well before the Frenchman who discovered it.

The header is under Muslims had Insight to the Hieroglypics.