EgyptSearch Forums
  Ancient Egypt and Egyptology
  Zar rituals in Egypt

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Zar rituals in Egypt
Kem-Au

posted 26 January 2005 12:36 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Kem-Au     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
What are peoples thoughts on these? Why were (are) they practised, and who were the major participants?

IP: Logged

HERU

posted 26 January 2005 12:43 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for HERU     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
"The purpose of the Zar ceremony is to cure mental illness through contact with the possessing spirits which cause maladies. Though there are several methods for dealing with psychological disturbance, the Zar is the last resort which is supposed to have powerful therapeutic effect for several kinds of ailments," writes John Kennedy in Nubian Ceremonial Life. It should be noted that this ceremony is not widely practiced in Egypt."

[More: ]http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/zar.htm]

I'm guessing it's more of a "Nubian" thing

[This message has been edited by HERU (edited 26 January 2005).]

ausar

posted 26 January 2005 12:44 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ausar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Zar rituals are mostly praticed in lower class Sai'idi and Baladi communities throughout Egypt. The reason why many are praticed is either to heal or caste out evil spirits.

Most of the major partiscipants are females. Very few males lead these ceremonies,and it tends to be an outlet for women in a male dominated soceity.

Kem-Au

posted 26 January 2005 12:54 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Kem-Au     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
Most of the major partiscipants are females. Very few males lead these ceremonies,and it tends to be an outlet for women in a male dominated soceity.

Was this the case throughout Pharonic times as well?

Wally

posted 26 January 2005 01:25 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Wally     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
We've had this discussion back in March, my own 'two cents' was:

If you are at all familiar with Voodoo or Voudum, you know what Zar is...

quote:

"Zar, in the sense of possession, is usually, though not exclusively, inherited. It is also contagious and may strike at any time. Diriye Abdullahi, a native of Somalia, says that the zar is basically a dance of spirits, or a religious dance - kind of leftover from the old African deities, a variant of what we describe in the west as "voodoo". The old African deities were headed by two figures; Azuzar (the male, assoc. with Osiris) and Ausitu (the female, known in the west as Isis). Ausitu (or Aysitu in Somalia) is still celebrated and given offerings by pregnant women so that she will provide them with a safe birth. He describes it as a ritual dance which is mostly observed by women, especially older women. This corresponds to the practice of older African religions, in which older women were the priestesses. He maintains that younger women, especially unmarried women, are not generally thought to be "worthy of a visit by the spirit of Zar, who chooses domicile or residence in the person who is his choice."
Traditionally, women are carriers of the Zar tradition. A Zar is a spirit. Some Ethiopians and Yemenis have their own Zar, like a guide of guardian angel. The dance ritual, Zar, like other traditional healing ceremonies, as for instance practiced by the !Kung of Southern Africa, is done to regain a sense of balance and harmony in one's life and in tandem with the community.
The word Zar is thought by some to be a corruption of Jar which in the Cushitic language of the Agaw people is the word for Waaq the sky god. The Rastafarians call god Jah.
And Yah is a very old Ancient Egyptian word for God.
See also:
The Zar: Women's Theatre in the Southern Sudan,"Women's Medicine: Zar Cult in Africa and Beyond, ed. by Ioan Lewis, Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1991

from my own experiences...

quote:

As an African American, born in (Voodoo) Louisiana...
One of the first things you learn as a Black youngster is that when you go to church on Sunday, DO NOT SIT NEXT TO A WOMAN, especially a middle-aged one. When this "zar spirit" hits one of these women (it usually affects several women almost simultaneously), they begin to gesticulate and shout out loud. They then, usually, make their way to the church's aisle where they begin to dance themselves into a trance like frenzy, eventually feinting or becoming rigid, where they have to be fanned and literally carried out of the auditorium. And your biggest fear is that this spirit might also hit you!
...we call this the Holy Ghost in (Voodoo) Louisiana.

The only thing missing is some formalized ritual, which obviously isn't necessary.

and from EW Budge on Ancient Egyptian Voodoo

quote:

It was well known in Egypt and the Sudan at a very early period that if a magician obtained some portion of a person's body, e.g., a hair, a paring of a nail, a fragment of skin, or a portion of some efflux from the body, spells could be used upon them which would have the effect of causing grievous harm to that person. --Legends of the Egyptian Gods, EW Budge, p.xxxiv

[This message has been edited by Wally (edited 26 January 2005).]

Kem-Au

posted 26 January 2005 01:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Kem-Au     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wally:
We've had this discussion back in March

Yes I know, but there have been some really smart people that have joined the board since then. That's why I brought this back up. BTW, I appreciate you re-posting that info.

[This message has been edited by Kem-Au (edited 26 January 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Kem-Au (edited 26 January 2005).]

ausar

posted 26 January 2005 01:40 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ausar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Honestly, I have found little evidence of the zar ritual in ancent Egypt. However, it could have been a pratice amungst the commoners instead of the priesthood. We have very scant evidence of the daily activities of the non-elite Egyptians. What little evidence we have comes from the texts of the workmen/women of Deir el-Medina which was a village of craftworkers in ancient Egypt.

Kem-Au

posted 26 January 2005 01:46 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Kem-Au     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
Honestly, I have found little evidence of the zar ritual in ancent Egypt. However, it could have been a pratice amungst the commoners instead of the priesthood. We have very scant evidence of the daily activities of the non-elite Egyptians. What little evidence we have comes from the texts of the workmen/women of Deir el-Medina which was a village of craftworkers in ancient Egypt.

Well it would seem that evidence of Zar rituals would be scarce even today. You wouldn't document putting a Hex on someone. But I've seen a number of ancient Egyptian references to the use of spells. I have a documentary which notes Egyptains using spells on people dating from the Roman occupation. I'll get you the name of the name of it later.

Wally

posted 26 January 2005 01:49 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Wally     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HERU:
It should be noted that this (Zar)ceremony is not widely practiced in Egypt."

(he then referenced touregypt - my god, why????)
I'm guessing it's more of a "Nubian" thing

[This message has been edited by HERU (edited 26 January 2005).][/B]

If it's not widely practiced in Egypt (it actually is widely practiced), but it's not more widely practiced because, like all other aspects of the traditional African religious practices, it is suppressed by the Arab Muslim ruling minority.

And yes, it is a "Nubian" thing...

Wally

posted 26 January 2005 01:52 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Wally     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kem-Au:
Yes I know, but there have been some really smart people that have jpined the board since then. That's why I brought this back up.

Excellent point!

HERU

posted 26 January 2005 04:16 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for HERU     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I read that Voodoo comes from Ewe religion and has a lot to do with the ancient snake cult.

ausar

posted 26 January 2005 04:37 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ausar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote

Heru said:

quote:
I read that Voodoo comes from Ewe religion and has a lot to do with the ancient snake cult.

Vodoo comes from Vodun which is a Fon word for spirit. The main pressence of Vodun comes from Dahomean people imported to Haiti. It could also contain Bakongo,Ewe,Yoruba and other elements.

Wally

posted 26 January 2005 07:32 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Wally     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HERU:

You must be referring to the etymology of the word 'voodoo';nee "Voudum" - the West African version of an essentially pan-African belief system, but as for its actual practice, as Budge points out in the above, it is at least as old as the ancient Nilotic civilization...

[This message has been edited by Wally (edited 26 January 2005).]

ausar

posted 27 January 2005 09:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ausar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
up

Nedra Bashira

posted 19 October 2005 10:40 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Nedra Bashira     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
You'll be happy to know the Zar is still alive and well! not only in the Middle East but also here within the United States and I am sure across the world...It is a timeless ceremony performed and utilized by MANY, of all religions...especially here within the bellydance communities! I am sure soem of the formality of the dance has worn off with time and maybe even some dancers do it out of tradition without realizing the power it holds...
one of the traditions I have heard of, is that when the men would gather to go to prayer on fridays at noon, that is when the women would gather and perform the Zar, men were not as open to this traditional women's dance and many believed it to be "hocus pocus" so the women would gather at the time they knew they would be safest to dance in abandon.
there are many experts on Middle Eastern dance and tradition living here right in the U.S. still carrying on the tradition! My favorite would have to be a woman by the name of Morrocco (we call her Aunt Rocky) she has traveled the world extensively and has been a part of many tribal and dance customs that outsiders are generally barred from...her vast knowledge is a gold mine waiting to be explored by all of us and we relish every bit of time we can visit with & learn from her!
her website is: http://www.casbahdance.org/articles/prolog-ethics.htm
Enjoy! we love Morrocco in the dance community and I know you will also love her in depth knowledge and wittiness about her!

Djehuti

posted 19 October 2005 05:27 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Djehuti     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
This is a perfect example of how Pharaonic (African) culture still survives in modern-day Egypt.

I still believe that the head priestesses to the god Amun aka the Wives of Amun, practiced zar. I hold this hypothesis based on two things:

(1) There are African priestesses who call themselves the 'wives' of certain gods and are said to have unions with the gods through possession.

(2) Not only is zar still practiced in Egypt, but the Wives of Amun also claim to make love or have unions with the god as well.

Djehuti

posted 20 October 2005 07:57 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Djehuti     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
And you wonder why the trolls never respond to something like this...

sonomod

posted 20 October 2005 08:31 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for sonomod     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
And you wonder why the trolls never respond to something like this...

because the females in their life have their own ritual to exercise evil spirits.

Its called shopping.

Something about buying clothes a size or two too small for them, the magnetic strip of the credit card and the oppression their husbands/fathers feel when they open the credit card bill.

I mean its the same kind of ritual, with the same results.

Why call evil when you don't want the females of your life to practice the ritual?

Oh my Goodness, I can make myself laugh!

he he he he, I am so funny!

Djehuti

posted 20 October 2005 08:42 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Djehuti     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:
because the females in their life have their own ritual to exercise evil spirits.

Zar rituals are not always about evil spirits.

The possession itself is often seen of as a way to communicate and have communion with good spirits and even gods. This is why some cultures consider it an honor to behold Zar.

osirion

posted 20 October 2005 10:40 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for osirion     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Anyone got any links to better descriptions of Zar. Sounds like Voodoo to me.

sonomod

posted 21 October 2005 08:37 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for sonomod     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
Zar rituals are not always about evil spirits.

The possession itself is often seen of as a way to communicate and have communion with good spirits and even gods. This is why some cultures consider it an honor to behold Zar.

Bud I was talking BS. Really!

And have you heard of the Ralph Loren God, the Gucci God?

Djehuti

posted 21 October 2005 07:16 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Djehuti     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by osirion:
Anyone got any links to better descriptions of Zar. Sounds like Voodoo to me.

Zar is just one of many voodoo rituals. Execration is another, both are 'magical' aspects of African religion and both are also found in the religious practices of the Egyptians as well!

[This message has been edited by Djehuti (edited 21 October 2005).]