EgyptSearch Forums
  Ancient Egypt and Egyptology
  off topic/a correction

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   off topic/a correction
kenndo

posted 22 February 2005 11:23 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for kenndo     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I just spoke to mark shriver about how many african americans have some form of mixture from other races. he told me that more have white blood than native american,but i am not really sure,it's possible,i was always told it was the other way around,this too is possible,but i have to clear that one more so if i talk to him again.
when he mentions the 30% number of african americans having some mixture he was going by a cut off date,so he made it clear to me on the phone that if you include all forms of mixture in the african american ethnic group and not a cut off date than he said that the number of african americans that have some form of mixture is around 80%,he said it may be 85% but the number so far he gave me was 80%.this is including those who have less than 2% of any other blood of any other race or races .he made it clear that there are some african americans that have only black/african backgrounds,so the unmixed african americans would be around 20% or 15%,but so far he put it at 20% unmixed and i am not even including africans from africa who came to america in recent times or west indians.so in a since i was still right.mark shriver cleared it up a bit for me.he well be sending a email and link to make his postion more clear in the future to me.

here is his website .
http://www.anthro.psu.edu/shriver.html

IP: Logged

lamin

posted 22 February 2005 07:03 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for lamin     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
To Kenndo

I note your discussion with Shriver but admit to being puzzled. The reason is that his claim that only 17%-18% of the genes that African Amercians carry is of non-African origin does not mesh or fit with the claim that 85% of blacks have some non-African genetic inputs. Shriver also states that 10% of African Amercians have non-African inputs of more than 50%--which tells us that the 17%-18% is not evenly distributed throughout the group. And that's why Kittles's round number of 30% having European genetic inputs approximately makes more sense.

It would seem that there would be quite a bit of clustering at one end of the distibution--as is phenotypically evident in a general way.

In any case the following might clarify things somewhat.

http://www.isteve.com/2002_How_White_Are_Blacks.htm

lamin

posted 22 February 2005 07:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for lamin     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
To Kenndo

But again note that the implicit use of the term "mixed" is really quite innacurate given that there are no pure races.

If you take the blondest Swede and the darkest Dinka from the Sudan you will note that the Swede will have inherited some 89% of his/her genes from Africa now being shared with the Dinka.

That's why Shriver claims that doing the research for black and white Americans is quite difficult because African populations in Africa show a great amount of genetic overlap with Europeans.

So it would seem then that the offspring of a Zulu and a Wolof--separated by thousands of miles--would be just as mixed as that Wolof and a Swede. This point about geographical distance is also compounded by the fact that Africans show the greatest genetic diversity among any lumped together groups. The reason being that Africans are the oldest breeding population thereby having enough time to build up the most mutations of any people.

And that's why it's scientifically erroneous to speak of certain phenotypical or genotypical traits as being "sub-Saharan" or even "negroid" to use a rather meaningless taxonomic term when all facts are taken into consideration.

Thought2

posted 22 February 2005 10:06 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Thought2     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Does Dr. Shriver factor in the indigenous genetic contributions of R1 carrying Central Africans? Upstream R1 has been present in Africa since the Upper Paleolithic, hence predating the evolution of typical European soft-body parts.

lamin

posted 23 February 2005 01:19 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for lamin     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
To Thought 2

Re: R1.

I don't know but Shriver's email is on the site offered by Kenndo. It's an interesting question. His site comes with his photo and it's interesting to note that even with a self-description of ~20% African plus some Native American DNA he looks, as he put it "typically white".

kenndo

posted 23 February 2005 08:53 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for kenndo     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
shriver mentions a cut off date saying that he cuts off showing any african american with a great-great grandparent.he told me any african american for example that have low mixtur like 10% to 1% etc,he does not count in the 30%.he made it clear to me this week.he told me if you count all the different forms of mixture from high to low it would be about 80% of african americans that have some form of mixture and the reast unmixed but that does not mean most could be put in the mixed groups like latinos for example.he said most african americans would still be classified as clearly black.the rest of the black americans(about 8 million)he told me that are recent from africa and the west indies would mostly be unmixed blacks.
african americans-30 million
other black americans(from africa,west indies etc. about 8 million)

altogether-about 38 something million blacks or black amercians in the u.s.
he has a email address and phone number.click linl above.

lamin

posted 23 February 2005 12:13 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for lamin     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
To Kenndo

Useful reply but still a couple of questions:

1)Do you have the statistical evidence(research article, etc.) that there are 8 million blacks not born in the U.S. who make up some ~20% of the total black population in the U.S.

Note that the U.S. census claims that some 30 million(10%) of the U.S. population is foreign born; that would mean that blacks make up some 20% of the foreign-born U.S. population. I doubt it, but if you have the research data, just reference it.

2)If as Shriver claims 17%-18% of the total genetic evidence for Africa Americans is of non-African origin, it is difficult to see how that could spill over into 80% of the population--given high sociological levels of caste and race considerations.

3)Note that until 1865 the vast majority of the plantation captives were kept on the largest plantations(like how monopolies today control U.S. business).

This would mean that vast majority of blacks would have had no alternative but to multiply among themselves. This is what Shriver's data shows. If you have some research data that shows otherwise please post. In the meantime, you might want to access Stanley Engerman's "Time on the Cross"--an economic history of the Southern U.S. plantation economy.

Even post-1965(when anti-miscegenation laws were repealed) the vast majority of blacks continue to marry each other--contrary to the great fears of segregationists. But, of course, there has been an increase in the number of inter-caste marriages--with the offspring slotted into the African American population. But even that is offset by fertility of of the 90% of blacks who marry each other.

Horemheb

posted 23 February 2005 12:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Horemheb     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
African Americans have MUCH MORE white blood than Indian. If someone attempts to give you an actual number they are being dishonest. There is no way to quantify the number of trips made to the slave quarters over a 300 year period.

lamin

posted 23 February 2005 02:09 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for lamin     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
To Horemheb

Scientific research has already answered that question by looking at Y chromosome signatures among the African American population. There has obviously been some "blowback" because 50 million white Americans have at least one African ancestor. No doubt, some people would be surprised at the amount of ink that has seeped into their milk.

Science has also detected the impact of African Y signatures on the German population ever since the days of the extinct Neanderthals and more recently since the fondly remembered days of the aftermath of WW I and WW II--when robust African troops from the colonies and the U.S. were eagerly sought out for their Y signatured autographs. Such African Y quanta have already been established by the bioanthropological research of the German population.

But back to "trips to captive cabins".

Such trips may not have all been for the crime of heterosexual rape(it has always been a natural law crime to have intimacies with any captive female).

Given research and mere public observations, such trips may have also entailed requests for flagellations on the posterior by unwilling robust African male captives or pleading requests to engage in criminally unnatural acts of a carnal nature.

Horemheb

posted 23 February 2005 02:31 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Horemheb     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
lamin, I'm sure thats true. A great example are the sally hemmings kids (the children of jefferson's brother, by the way, not him). Some went on to blend into the white population, some into the black population.

kenndo

posted 24 February 2005 05:57 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for kenndo     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
WELL,it was always told in the u.s.that more african americans % wise have some form native american blood,up to 80% and the rest have 65 to 70% white blood,makeing about 20% of the rest of the african american population unmixed.THE RANGE OF THOSE african americans that have some form of other racial blood of either white or native is from 20 to 10 on average,some of course having up to 50% and some less than 2 or 1%or less than 1%.you always hear it on black radio too,of course some put it a little bit higher on on how many africans have some mixture,but i think those type of folks are incorrect and make things up so they do not feel left out in the cold.i remember there was a story that a nigerian started saying he had native american blood because of the folks he was hanging with,and he knew he did not had any.

FOR THE OTHER QUESTION african american been in the u.s for cent. so they are not recent arrivals like other blacks.
other blacks like africans and west indians who came here within 30 years would be considered recently born in this the u.s. or just came in.

for the info on the west indian group,the census is recorded in the west indian papers in new york and the same with africans. a nigerian paper owner mention that there were 3.5 million africans a few years ago,by now that number is higher,same with the west indian groups-3.5 million,the current number for both if you add that up is around 8 million,and the african americans who been here since the 1600's to 1800's is around 30 million today or in the year 2001 or 2002

first edited in feb.

[This message has been edited by kenndo (edited 30 May 2005).]

HERU

posted 24 February 2005 08:51 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for HERU     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I myself have way more Native American blood than European.

Horemheb

posted 24 February 2005 10:07 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Horemheb     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
How do you know heru?

HERU

posted 24 February 2005 10:35 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for HERU     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I know this because on my mother's side I have plenty of Blackfoot Native in my family. My great grandmother didn't look black at all.

I also know this because nobody in my fathers immediate family was anything other than African-American.

I can also say this because I'm obviously a "red" negro.

Horemheb

posted 24 February 2005 10:41 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Horemheb     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
If your ancestors were slaves you may have more white blood than you think.

HERU

posted 24 February 2005 11:15 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for HERU     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Nobody in my immediate family is European. Instead, there are Africans and Natives in my immediate family. I have an English last name and I moved to a part of North Carolina where a lot of African-Americans have this same English last name. These people with the same English surname are my relatives. Of course I didn't know this before coming out here. Most of these relatives on my father's side are dark. Sometimes deeply black. You can see that the progenitor of this European surname owned a lot of slaves. You can also see the last name is as far as it goes. I can't think of one person on my father's side that looks mixed. On my mother's side, yes, because of the Blackfoot element, but not on my father's side. This "white blood" is negligible.

Horemheb

posted 24 February 2005 11:18 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Horemheb     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
when did your family come here?

HERU

posted 24 February 2005 11:26 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for HERU     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
What difference does that make? The point is, if I do have any European blood, it's minute compared to my African and Native ancestry.

Horemheb

posted 24 February 2005 11:40 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Horemheb     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
If your family came here during slavery there is a good chance you have considerable white blood.

HERU

posted 24 February 2005 12:05 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for HERU     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Horemheb:
If your family came here during slavery there is a good chance you have considerable white blood.

Like I said, troll, this "white blood" is minute compared to my African and Native ancestry.

lamin

posted 24 February 2005 12:53 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for lamin     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
To Horemheb

I have noted that you claim to have researched ant-bellum U.S. history so I am sure you are familar with Fogel and Engerman's(both are university professors of American history) "Time on the Cross--The Economics of American Negro Slavery". This text was controversial when it was first published because it focused primarily on the quantitative aspects of the pre-bellum(1865) South. The authors were concerned mainly with the economic numbers--and less with the subjective and human rights side of the planatation economy. Some even compared their approach to any historical study of the Holocaust that focused only on the efficiency and economic growth of Germany from 1939 to 1945.

So consider the following-- borne out by subsequent genetic studies.

"The fact that during the 23 decades of contact between slaves and whites which elapsed between 1620 and 1850, only 7.7% of the slaves were mulattoes suggests that on average only a small percentage of the slaves born in any given year were fathered by white men. This inference is not contradicted by the fact that the percentage of mulattoes increased by one third during the last decade of the ante-bellum era, rising from 7.7% to 10.4%. For it must be remembered that mulattoes were the progeny not just of unions between whites and pure(sic) blacks but also of unions between mulattoes and blacks....A demographic model of the slave population, which is presented in the technical index cannot be used to sutain the contention that a large proportion of slave children must have been fathered by white men....But the work of geneticists on gene pools has revealed that even the last figure[7.7%] may be too high. Measurements of the admixture of "Caucasian" and "Negro" genes among southern rural blacks today indicate that the share of of Negro children fathered by whites on slave plantations probably averaged between 1 and 2 percent".(pp. 131-135).

But the authors also tell us that a much larger percentages of persons of mixed ancestry lived in cities in urban areas:

"Acording to the 1860 census, 39% of freedmen in southern cities were mulattoes. Among urban slaves the proportion of mulattoes was 20%. In other words, one out of every Negroes living in a southern city was a mulatto"

Note too that by 1865 approximately 15% of blacks were free persons.

Fogel and Engerman also tell us that it was mainly the need to maintain as much discipline as possible on the plantations plus racial taboos that led to the low miscegenation numbers(p.135) plus the fact that there were urban brothels that employed white and mixed race prostitutes(p.135).

But consider too the following from "The Negro in America--the Chronological History" by Peter Bergman.

1920--U.S. Census
"The Negro population in the U.S. was 10,463, 131, or 9.9%. Of these, 15.9% were classified as of mixed blood. The life expectancy of Negro males was 45.5 years, compared to 54.4 years for white males....etc.

Thus Du Bois's number of 28% and Kittle's genetically confirmed number of approx. 30% representing blacks with some European ancestry seems very plausible.

Of course personal anecdotes while no doubt interesting cannot be a substitute for large scale data gathering subjected to controlled empirical tests.

Horemheb

posted 24 February 2005 01:14 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Horemheb     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
lamin, sounds like good stuff. The urban slave population also live in much closer proximity to whites than would plantation slaves. By the way I found a good copy of 'Roll Jordan Roll' by Genovese the other day at a used book sale. Still has the original dust jacket on it. I read it decades ago but plan to read it again this summer.

Roy_2k5

posted 24 February 2005 05:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Roy_2k5     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I have a question, how pure are the Nordic Americans in US or Canada? On the CIA Fackbook website, it says that 26% of Canadians are mixed. Does this mean that a good share of the 'white' population of Canada are mixed? I say this, because the non-white population is surely less than 10%. Is this the same case for the Nordic Americans?

lamin

posted 24 February 2005 05:39 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for lamin     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Useful question because it brings up again the biological issue of "mixed".

Note that we can speak of humans being "mixed" only is there are "pure" humans. Well, all humans are "mixed"--given that each human inherits his/her gentic material equally from both parents. Human reproduction is not asexual so every human must be "mixed".

So if--to take a very obvious example--a "short" Twa(pejoratively known as "pygmies") produces offspring with a very tall Dinka the offspring will obviously and notably be mixed--in terms of empirically observed heights.

But even when 2 Dinkas produce offspring the progeny will also be mixed.

Now in Canada what may have been meant was that Canada is home to people or French and English extraction originally. There could be no other meaning since the non-white population is less that 4% if that much.

The naive approach to human "mixtures" derives from the fact that human traits like Colour and hair types are much more visible than blood types, foot shape or ear shape.