Ancient Egypt and Egyptology
  Somali 101 (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Somali 101
Waryaa

posted 08 June 2005 04:18 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Waryaa     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
The ignorance on this board regarding Somalis is beyond relief. One fact: Few Somalis are mixed with other race. It is quite few numbered, whether with Italians or other Africans. I will show you in a moment.

Somali Bantus first

One of the most accomplished Somali singers, Aweys Khamiis Mabuuse (a Somali Bantu)

The smoothest Somali singer and my favourite, Faadumo Qaasim Hilowle (a Somali Bantu)

A former famous Somali referee-turned politician, Mowliid Macaane (a Somali Bantu, a hard striver for his discriminated minority community in Somalia)

Somali Banaadiris (Arabs)

Another Banaadiri (former Somali ambassador to UN)

Most well-known Somali political cartoonist Aamiin Caamir (a Banaadiri)

Axmed Naaji Sacad, one of the most famous Somali singers (a Banaadiri).

Somali-Italians

His mother was Somali, with his Swiss wife. In the last two years, he was/is cycling with a bike across the European and African continents for the Somali cause. A true Somali nationalist, indeed.

[This message has been edited by Waryaa (edited 08 June 2005).]

IP: Logged

Waryaa

posted 08 June 2005 04:21 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Waryaa     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Somali-Italians (Continued)

A little known Somali singer. Her father was Italian. (Sorry, the picture is a bit blur.)

Waryaa

posted 08 June 2005 04:43 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Waryaa     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
And now there is the majority Somalis, the Cushtic ones who dominate Horn of Africa. The 97% of Somalia population people.

Since you guys are obsessed about Iman, to honest 40% Somali women are more beautiful than her as she herself admitted.

Don't drool. Ahahaha.

Sri Lanka? Ahahaahah.

Enough for now.

salama

posted 08 June 2005 07:27 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for salama     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Waryaa:
[B]And now there is the majority Somalis, the Cushtic ones who dominate Horn of Africa. The 97% of Somalia population people.

Since you guys are obsessed about Iman, to honest 40% Somali women are more beautiful than her as she herself admitted.
--------

Why did not you down load my pic.here? - I wonder?
You would then witness the true Egyptian beauty. Heck with Eman, boys.
Egyptian beaty is here before my monitor right now.

Jizan

posted 08 June 2005 07:32 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Jizan     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
these somali girls look indian.

bandon19

posted 08 June 2005 03:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for bandon19     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
SALAMA I WANT TO SEE UR PICK.

osirion

posted 08 June 2005 03:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for osirion     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote

I didn't know a Woman could be so beautiful.

Jizan

posted 08 June 2005 04:29 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Jizan     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
somali somalians
http://somaliicon.com/v-web/gallery/SI-Gallery?page=1

[This message has been edited by Jizan (edited 08 June 2005).]

salama

posted 08 June 2005 04:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for salama     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
XXX

[This message has been edited by salama (edited 08 June 2005).]

salama

posted 08 June 2005 04:36 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for salama     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
[QUOTE]Originally posted by salama:
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by bandon19:
[B]SALAMA I WANT TO SEE UR PICK.

you sound very young to peek on married women's pics., bandon. so I will leave it for now. I need a signed approval of my husband first.

Atheist

posted 08 June 2005 05:04 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Atheist     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Other type of Somalis lol

http://www.afsc.org/tsunami/images/somalia.jpg
http://www.m6.is/GlobalPhotos/myndbanki.nsf/Files/Somalia_BORNOGS2/$file/Somalia_ BORNOGS2.jpg

http://www.developments.org.uk/graphics/issue19/somalia-reading.jpg

http://www.aids-kampagne.de/l8mimages/aidspraevention_somalia_dpi180.jpg

Other Somalis and Ethiopians
http://alfatihoun.edaama.org/Fichiers/Somalie/Pays/web/Somalia%20country.htm
http://www.who.int/multimedia/ethiopiaweb/APORTRAITS1/index.html

Atheist

posted 08 June 2005 05:14 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Atheist     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
lol@dumb jizz

Those look clearly black Africans. So which hole you came from? You'll see thousands of them here in America out in the street that aren't mixed you fool. lol Get out of your hole not all black people look jet black and have super negroid feature. Now go back to your hole you dirty mutated rat.

ausar

posted 08 June 2005 05:15 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ausar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote

Hahahahah Somalis with gold teeth. Aww man that is hilarious. Hahahahahahaha.

Atheist

posted 08 June 2005 05:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Atheist     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
So when did African Americans all have gold teeth. Other than in MTV I rarely see black Americans with gold teeth. What is with this Anti-African-American sentiment in this forum? I didn't say they were black Americans but the ones jiz showed a lot of resemblance of the black Americans that live here.

ausar

posted 08 June 2005 05:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ausar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote

What I said Atheist was not a pot shot at African Americans. Those Somalis with gold teeth look funny to me. Nothing wrong with gold teeth. Many rural Egyptians have gold teeth.

Atheist

posted 08 June 2005 05:30 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Atheist     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Oh okay my bad Many rural Egyptians have gold teeth-> that's very interesting

PANDA

posted 09 June 2005 01:59 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for PANDA     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
The BANTUS are negroid people and not CUSHITIC/HAMITES like the Somalis not to mention that in order to be SOMALI you have to be part from the 5 main SOMALI CLANS they are :

- DAROOD
- ISAAQ
- HAWIYE
- DIR
- RAHANWEYN

It is clearly documented that the BANTUS were slaves brought to the HORN of AFRICA to graze the plantations in the South mainly since it is a fine almost tropical land if you like.

Horemheb

posted 09 June 2005 02:02 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Horemheb     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Looks like arabs to me.

Djehuti

posted 09 June 2005 02:12 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Djehuti     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PANDA:
The BANTUS are negroid people and not CUSHITIC/HAMITES like the Somalis not to mention that in order to be SOMALI you have to be part from the 5 main SOMALI CLANS they are :

- DAROOD
- ISAAQ
- HAWIYE
- DIR
- RAHANWEYN

It is clearly documented that the BANTUS were slaves brought to the HORN of AFRICA to graze the plantations in the South mainly since it is a fine almost tropical land if you like.

There seems to be confusion on the term "negroid"

If one means negroid to mean Guinea peoples of West Africa looking, then no, of course Somalis are not negroid

The problem is the mainstream definition of "negroid" is black African, so yes Somalis are negroid because they are black African!!!

Cushitic is an ethnolinguistic branch of Afrasian, and you are correct, Somalis are a part of this group.

However the term Hamitic is also ambiguous. Hamitic was used by white people to originally mean black Africans, so all blacks were Hamitic. Then white people changed it to mean "black-skinned" caucasians because East Africans happen to have a few features in common with them, but mainly because the Egyptians were of the same type and they wanted to claim Egypt!! There is no such thing as 'black' caucasians however, and recently, Hamitic refers simply to Afrasian languages that are spoken in Africa and this could mean anywhere from the Cushitic peoples of East Africa to Egyptian to even the Hausa people of Nigeria!!

And yes Bantus are an entirely different group that arrived relatively recently to the Horn of Africa

I hope people aren't confused anymore..

[This message has been edited by Djehuti (edited 09 June 2005).]

Atheist

posted 09 June 2005 02:53 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Atheist     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Again Waryaa is some European troll. (he got traced and got owned NEXT) Whether he is mixed, mulatto, or mutated European nobody knows and nobody cares. lol Yeah he does show pics that look really mixed definitely not indigenous Africans that ruled Ancient Egypt. Basically happens to people that are delusional and totally cut off the real world. "don't drool ahahaha" pic looks definitely African as you can see those type of black women in daily basis. The one Ratjiz, and the ones I showed are undoubtedly Africans. If you ask 99% of the people in the world and show them words like "Somali" or "Ethiopians" they think of black Africans they don't think of any other races. Those are for people trapped in their own world and have no grasp of reality.

What people don't know is that they are so delusional of their own identity. They even get confused with real black Africans. (as the case of ratjiz that was funny as hell)

In pure biological term we are all Africans it's proven it's beat to death and it's science. There is no such thing as Caucasian, mulatto, or "rat race". Millions of years ago there were only Africans and Asians, this new European Caucasian is basically derivation of either the Africans or the Asians. So to use the term such as "Caucasoid" or Caucasian like to identify a person is beyond ignorance. In Asia it’s very common to have those so called “Caucasoid” looking people. We all know Asians came before the Europeans so such use of term is absolutely laughable. Caucasians didn’t even existed when Africans and Asians were still around a million year ago. This already clearly shows that Caucasians derived from both the Asians or the African race. It's irrefutable science period.

When I see race of today of course not in the pure biological term I see them as in world wide view as how the people in the world would recognize them. If they see Iman they would see her as a black African woman not a north African Caucasian again that’s only for people that are trapped inside a box locked outside of the real world. The media and the general perception of Iman is a black woman end of the story. Nobody in the world consider Asian Indians, Arabs, and Latinos of Caucasians but of mixed people. Caucasian race is basically limited to the ones that have European heritage and of light complexion. People don’t realize that such thing as race in political term (that is used today) is mostly skin-deep and there is no real scientific basis of dividing the homo sapiens just purely in facial structure.

Basically the world wide view on what black people should be are people that have dark complexion and that are from Africa. So to debate whether Ethiopians or Somalis are black Africans or not is just laughable because almost everyone in this world would recognize them as black Africans. You can show couple of highly unusual looking ones that have CLEAR Arabian admixtures those are called mulattos. Funny part is a lot of the pics would still be recognized as black Africans like that famous singer, Somali ref turned politician, Another Banaadiri, “don’t drool ahahaha”, those pics look black Africans. Despite his attempt to pick the highly unusual ones he still failed for most part. As far as the one ratjiz and I posted- collection of Ethiopians and Somalis are undoubtedly clearly black Africans that can be found in US or Africa. Anybody in the world would recognize it. And the botton line is biologically and the world wide perceptions of who they are all shows clear what and who they were.

bandon19

posted 09 June 2005 04:10 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for bandon19     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
horemhab u wouldnt know what an arab is if they walk up to u and slap u in the face.

Waryaa

posted 09 June 2005 07:55 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Waryaa     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
What does a Korean atheist (especially a self-professed one who never met a SINGLE Somali) acquired the knowledge to differentiate between the races that occupy the African continent, let alone Horn of Africa? Gotta me!

Atheist

posted 09 June 2005 08:15 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Atheist     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
lol I must have gotten under Waryaa's skin. You want the answer? I don't live in a rat hole but in a real world Waryaa you don't live in Somali Ausar already proved that So what would you know? NOTHING! Next.

Djehuti

posted 09 June 2005 09:07 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Djehuti     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Maryam Mursal

Please do not take this as a picture spam on Somali 'looks'

Do you guys know about her? I've heard of her and would like to know more about her. I listen to Jazz sometimes and I heard she sings Somali Jazz. What is the difference in style between Somali Jazz and regular Jazz? What is traditional Somali music like, since I've never heard any before?

Is she really that great?

(p.s. Atheist, no more comments please, I want to have some peace in this forum for a change!!)

[This message has been edited by Djehuti (edited 12 June 2005).]

Djehuti

posted 09 June 2005 09:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Djehuti     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote

truelight

posted 09 June 2005 10:07 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for truelight     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
now you have to live in somalia to know about you culture and people....loool waraya

wecel iiska dahya indho-siil waaya ..can't see **** ...

djuhit..forget about her...it is not like you are going to understand when she is singing...or any of her songs for that matter...indho-siil walalahi somalia maa baroyi...

[This message has been edited by truelight (edited 09 June 2005).]

Waryaa

posted 10 June 2005 05:08 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Waryaa     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
For your information, I was in Xamar (Mogadishu) in 2003, two years ago, Mr Godless.

Yahuudi (Djehudi), what is the sudden posting of Maryan Mursal? You think we would disown her because she looks like too "black"? Dah. Try again. You could have opened a new thread if you wanted a real information regarding her, which I do know.

Initiate a new thread if you really want to know more about her.

Atheist

posted 10 June 2005 06:00 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Atheist     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Why do you have to make a special forum just for her? (the dark "black" looking somali") I guess she doesn't belong in the Somali 101 section, maybe too dark and too pure for her to be a mulatto. How about you change this thread to "Mulatto 101". DJ, didn't even mention about her skin color and you had to subconsciously bring her skin color out right? Insecurity kicking in? Don't be mad be glad I’m just being real my Puerto Rican friend.

BTW: "Don't drool AHAHAHA" still looks undeniably black to me. Seriously I saw someone exactly like her here in USA.

COBRA

posted 10 June 2005 10:10 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for COBRA     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
WHILE OBSERVING THIS WEB SITE I HAVE FINALY CONCLUDED THAT THERE ARE SOME REALY JEALOUS PEOPLE. WELL I AM NOT GOING TO COMMENT ON THIS ANY MORE.

ANY WAY PEOPLE.....PLEASE STOP POSTING IMAGES OF OUR WOMEN ON THIS SITE. SPEACILAY DRESSED IN SUCH A WAY (UNMODESTLY).

Djehuti

posted 10 June 2005 12:09 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Djehuti     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote

You people are trippin'!!

I just asked about her as an artist and her music!!

I am just interested in cultural stuff like music!

I stated before, I am not getting into any mindless debates about how her or other Somalis look!

What do you know about her music? What does traditional Somalian music sound like, and what is the difference between Somali Jazz and regular Jazz?!! Is all I'm asking!

[This message has been edited by Djehuti (edited 10 June 2005).]

Waryaa

posted 11 June 2005 03:33 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Waryaa     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
There are tons of Somali singers out there, some internationally (i.e. Keinaan [K'naan]) and you suddenly brought Maryan Mursal, aha? If you thought we would say negative about her, you thought badly wrong. She is as Somali as any other person, and we are proud to have her, including her achievement as an artist, not to mention her nationalist Somali songs, "Soomaalida u diida ceeb, naftiina u ciil..." (Don't shame yourselves, O Somalis, Don't hold grudge to one another, O Somalis.)

As I wrote if you want to know more about her songs, open a new thread dedicated to her.

And to other guy, no need to have childish insults, for I didn't come here to that.

I am a Somali man, and I have an ancient history!

Abati

posted 11 June 2005 04:04 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Abati     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote

Dear forum members
I would like to forward FYI articles published last year in Yemen Times regarding the history and culture of the Banaadiri people. http://www.yementimes.com/article.shtml?i=728&p=culture&a=1
http://yementimes.com/article.shtml?i=779&p=culture&a=1
http://www.yementimes.com/article.shtml?i=781&p=culture&a=1

Regards

Djehuti

posted 11 June 2005 02:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Djehuti     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Waryaa:
...and you suddenly brought Maryan Mursal, aha? If you thought we would say negative about her, you thought badly wrong. She is as Somali as any other person, and we are proud to have her, including her achievement as an artist, not to mention her nationalist Somali songs, "Soomaalida u diida ceeb, naftiina u ciil..." (Don't shame yourselves, O Somalis, Don't hold grudge to one another, O Somalis.)

I brought up Maryan Mursal only because I have heard of her recently and heard her good critique about her style of Jazz! What's wrong with you?! Exactly what made you think I expected you to say something negative about her?!!

quote:
There are tons of Somali singers out there, some internationally (i.e. Keinaan [K'naan])...

I never said Mursal was the only one! Tell me more about this K'naan and others.

quote:
As I wrote if you want to know more about her songs, open a new thread dedicated to her.

Well I don't know the Somali language, but I just want to know about how style of music itself sounds? What is the difference between traditional Somali music and the new age kinds? What is the difference between Somali Jazz and American Jazz?

The thread is called Somali 101, I just thought we could talk about something else about your people than 'race' and looks, I'm not like Atheist!!

Waryaa

posted 12 June 2005 12:18 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Waryaa     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Well, I am not that familiar with jazz, so basically my knowledge of it is very limited. The Somali version of jazz is called kaban, there are also qaaci and qaraami closely related to kaban, the instrument being only a traditional guitar. There is also kabeebey, introduced and popularized by Somali Bantus.

Check this site on BBC, it basically explains in detail.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/africaonyourstreet/awalekullane.shtml#story1

multisphinx

posted 12 June 2005 03:24 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for multisphinx     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by salama:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by salama:
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by bandon19:
[B]SALAMA I WANT TO SEE UR PICK.

you sound very young to peek on married women's pics., bandon. so I will leave it for now. I need a signed approval of my husband first.

Salmaa why u so stuck up, u prolly some ugly ass bitch. Stop acting like u are the buety queen of world, u prolly some ugly ass hoe who got married to some white junkey from europe.

Djehuti

posted 12 June 2005 12:39 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Djehuti     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I know that Somalis have a tradition of reciting beautiful poetry. I bet your songs feature this. What are most Somali songs about? And do they follow the same structure as the poetry?

COBRA

posted 12 June 2005 12:41 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for COBRA     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Djehuti DO YOU STILL THINK SOMALIES ARE NIGROES??

Djehuti

posted 12 June 2005 12:53 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Djehuti     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by COBRA:
Djehuti DO YOU STILL THINK SOMALIES ARE NIGROES??

First off, I was not even talking about race anyway!!

Second, do you even know what negroes are?!!

COBRA

posted 12 June 2005 12:58 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for COBRA     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
ANSWEAR THE QUESTION.

STOP SCRACHING YOUR SELF.

Djehuti

posted 12 June 2005 01:04 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Djehuti     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Again, I was not even discussing 'race' until you came!!

Answer, my question first!!

What do you mean by 'negroid' anyway?? What is your definition of the term??

Djehuti

posted 12 June 2005 01:10 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Djehuti     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Cobra are you going to define your terms first, or what?

COBRA

posted 12 June 2005 01:10 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for COBRA     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
Again, I was not even discussing 'race' until you came!!

Answer, my question first!!

What do you mean 'negroid' mean?? What is your definition of the term??

KINKY HAIR.

Djehuti

posted 12 June 2005 01:13 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Djehuti     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
KINKY HAIR.

You mean like this?...

As well as broad noses?..

COBRA

posted 12 June 2005 01:20 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for COBRA     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote

THE TERM FOR THESE PEOPLE WOULD BE NEGRO.

Djehuti

posted 12 June 2005 01:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Djehuti     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:

THE TERM FOR THESE PEOPLE WOULD BE NEGRO.

Except for one thing... These people I just posted are not even Africans!!! They are a peoples found in Southeast Asia!!

So you see, your terms are null & void!!!

Besides, the modern definition of negroid is black or indigenous Africans which the Somalis definitely are, thus Somalis are "negroid"!!

Black Africans or "negroids" vary in their features. As your people, the Somali, show not all have 'kinky' hairs and broad noses, there are many with narrow noses or curly hair, some even wavy hair.

There are 'negroids' that don't even have dark colored skin but are very light, yet they are not mixed whatsoever, and their hair is neither kinky nor curly but of an entirely different texture!!!

Like these people:

East African types like Somalis and other Cushitic speakers are closer related to other Africans (yes, even the Bantus) than they are to non-Africans!!

Because populations vary in looks and features so much, even within the same 'race', such terms as "negroid" can be very confusing which is why they really should be avoided! I myself try not to use the term, but if I do, I use it to mean black Africans in general and not just Guinea type peoples of West Africa with the broad noses and kinky hairs!!

Djehuti

posted 12 June 2005 01:47 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Djehuti     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
So, all you other Somalis read and understand what I just posted!

I really don't want to pollute this thread with more racial stuff, I just want to learn more about the cultural stuff.

So far I've learned from my Somali friends about the poetic tradition they have. Can anyone tell me more about that?

Waryaa

posted 12 June 2005 11:18 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Waryaa     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Yes, Somalis are well-known being a poetic-based society, who cherish it tremendously. Yes, most songs Somalis treasure are poetry-based songs. The singers themselves hardly can compose those kind of songs. The writers are called abwaan (song-writer, poet) and the singers are fanaan (singer). Abwaano are as famous as the singers themselves sometimes.

As it is in songs, poetry differs in Somali. To mention a few: Gabay [Somali word for poetry for overall], heeso [songs] geeraar, suugaan, maanso, shirib, guuroow, jiifto, buraanbur and much more. The last, buraanbur is the only kind played by women alone and is particularly played on weddings. They differ in much different as English poetry's sonnets differ. Each is unique and has its own rules. Gabay for example must continue and end the first letter it starts with. Then there are others that happen outside gabay zones; for example maah-maah (proverbs), which Somali language has invaluable archives, hal xiraale (riddles), murti (wisdom sayings), madadaalo (entertainment}, oraah (sayings) and majaajilo (comedy).

gobi

posted 20 June 2005 02:14 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for gobi     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
man! why cant not fined somalian girls that are as good looking as in england. pls help me out...................
i love my somali girls

Waryaa

posted 05 July 2005 04:32 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Waryaa     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote

This is K'naan (Keenaan) at the Canadian version of Live 8 on Saturday. Coincidently, I saw him the day before, on Friday, at a Somali tournament soccer game in Toronto.

Maryan Mursal and her group singing at the African-themed of Live 8 at Eden Project in Cornwall, UK.

Djehuti

posted 05 July 2005 11:23 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Djehuti     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Waryaa, do you know any sites I can go to and listen to samples of music from these Somali artists?

Do you think these artists will get more attention from the mainstream on your people or Africa as a whole? So far, most popularity with African music I've heard of is outside the US in places like Canada, South America or Europe. To be honest most of the foreign music I myself have heard come from Asia, like J-pop and stuff that have become somewhat popular in the US.

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2