EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » A few Tips for my up-coming Holiday

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A few Tips for my up-coming Holiday
ronan
Member # 5171

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ronan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey all, I've been reading all your posts over the last couple of days and they've been a massive help for my trip to Egypt which is starting on 14th September!!!
I will be travelling with my girlfriend (both early 20's & from Ireland) and over two weeks will be going to Cairo (3 Nights) - Aswan (3 Nights) - Luxor (3 Nights) - Hurghada (5 nights)
I have transport and accommodation all arranged but it's just that with such a short time in each of these amazing cities I want a bit of advice on what to see and what to give a miss???
I've never done anything like this before so any help at all would be highly appreciated!!!!
Also any word of warning for my girlfriend (just you hear the stories) would be welcome.
So tips on Money, the People, the Climate, the Culture and anything else…..
Thanks in advance

Ronan

Posts: 4 | From: Ireland | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ronan
Member # 5171

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ronan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh ya if anyone has any experiences with any of my hotels
Cairo - Sherton
Aswan - Oberoi
Luxor - Mercer Coralia
Hurghada - Intercontinental

Posts: 4 | From: Ireland | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sumayyah
Member # 5009

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sumayyah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Ronan,

Cant help you on your Q's posted, however you sound familiar - does "leanrh" (i cant quite remember the word - email) or "Kavkaz" mean anything to u?
If it does...wow, let me know without giving away my name/email details etc. On the other hand, if it doesnt...then this probably means nothing at all to you - in which case, ignore it.

bye!

Posts: 28 | From: England | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ronan
Member # 5171

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for ronan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sumayyah:
Hi Ronan,

Cant help you on your Q's posted, however you sound familiar - does "leanrh" (i cant quite remember the word - email) or "Kavkaz" mean anything to u?
If it does...wow, let me know without giving away my name/email details etc. On the other hand, if it doesnt...then this probably means nothing at all to you - in which case, ignore it.

bye!

Not me???
I'm confused

Carol_2004
Member # 5088

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol_2004     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do as much as you possibly can in Cairo, Luxor and Aswan because when you get to Hurghada you will be able to relax and chill a bit.
Posts: 156 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sumayyah
Member # 5009

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sumayyah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ronan:
Not me???
I'm confused

Dont worry...just thought u were someone else.
Have a nice trip anyway!

Posts: 28 | From: England | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnotherNewMember
Member # 5014

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnotherNewMember     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ronan:
Hey all, I've been reading all your posts over the last couple of days and they've been a massive help for my trip to Egypt which is starting on 14th September!!!
I will be travelling with my girlfriend (both early 20's & from Ireland) and over two weeks will be going to Cairo (3 Nights) - Aswan (3 Nights) - Luxor (3 Nights) - Hurghada (5 nights)
I have transport and accommodation all arranged but it's just that with such a short time in each of these amazing cities I want a bit of advice on what to see and what to give a miss???
I've never done anything like this before so any help at all would be highly appreciated!!!!
Also any word of warning for my girlfriend (just you hear the stories) would be welcome.
So tips on Money, the People, the Climate, the Culture and anything else…..
Thanks in advance

Ronan

If you guys don't want to experience any travel sickeness, I would suggest you eat as much hot food as possible. I've seen entire trips ruined because of tavel sickeness.

The people are very friendly.
Money- everyone expects a tip for everything they do for you-but its really not much in terms of dollars.

The climate- hot in Cairo, even hotter in Aswan and Luxor this time of year. Bringplenty of sunscreen, and sun visors.

Posts: 323 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bulldog
Member # 2721

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bulldog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Cairo Sheraton has two towers the Nefertiti & the Cleopatra has 3 very good restaurabts Sopporo Japanese, Casaplanca Morrocan( with belly dancer) Aladdin Lebanesse (some nights with belly dancer) two bars ( one with live entertainment every night (except during Ramadan). this is my personal favorites.

The Oberoi in Aswan is situated on an island only accessable by boat free to guests.

The Mericure luxor 3M (Fomally the Etap, Coralia.) Currently being renovated is a decent hotel(3*) officially (4*) rated.
Your not going by Kouni by any chance are you

Intercontinental (sorry not been there.)
wfsh youluck on your trip.

Posts: 176 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wise_woman
Member # 444

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wise_woman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Ronan,

I'm sure you know this already but Irish (and Scottish) notes are not accepted or exchanged in Egypt.
Stick with traveller's cheques (I always use Sterling) and exchange as you go along.

Learn to spot the difference between a LE50 Egyptian pound note and a 50 piastre note.
LE50 buys you and a friend food and water at McDonalds, 50 piastre note buys less than a packet of chewing gum. Always check your change in a shop or even at a bank.

You might want to invest in a Lonely Planet or Rough Guide book on Egypt. A worthwhile read on the plane and at every city you visit.

As Bulldog says above about the Mercure Coralia Hotel in Luxor, it's 3/4* hotel, this was the first Egyptian hotel I stayed in and I have lovely memories, it's in a great location opposite the Nile and is spacious and comfortable.
Dont forget to explore the area and restaurants nearby, dont stay confined to the hotel.

You can book excursions at travel agent within the hotel (if it's still there) or at those situated outside the Old Winter Palace on the main road (corniche) facing the River Nile.

I have stayed at the Cairo Sheraton Hotel as described above.
There is another Sheraton in Cairo though.

I've never been to Hurghada but as Carol posts above, save that for relaxing as there's less to see there anyhow.

I suggest you and your girlfriend say you are married (to each other of course) and see if you can both borrow or even buy cheap wedding rings, you'll get a bit more respect if you say you're married.
The more skin she covers up the better, no Kylie style hotpants or crop boob tube tops.
Wearing a t-shirt or wrapped up in a cotton type shawl is much cooler for the body.
Suncream is expensive over there.

If you have time, read more postings on this website, lots of valuable information there.

I wish you both a safe but exciting journey.

Posts: 266 | From: Scotland, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carleen
Member # 4311

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carleen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best advice I've found for traveling *anywhere* is the Virtual Tourist website. They have every possible tip from other travelers listed by country & category. I read up on countries I have no intention of visiting just because it's so interesting. Check it out! http://www.virtualtourist.com/vt/de1/

[This message has been edited by Carleen (edited 27 August 2004).]

Posts: 310 | From: Maryland, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lotusflower
Member # 4661

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lotusflower     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Ronan your country deals in Euro now - Euro notes can be exchanged at any Bank in Eqypt and also at the reception desk at Mecure Coralia (Luxor.
Posts: 48 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kenzie
Member # 3519

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kenzie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cairo Sheraton
Gezirah Sheraton
Sheraton Royal Gardens
Sheraton Heliopolis
Which one are you staying at in Cairo?

Mercure at Luxor is in a central location. Really handy for getting out and about.

Not sure about Aswan or Hurghada Hotels.

Posts: 339 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philand teresa
Member # 2726

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for philand teresa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have stopped at the Aswan Oberoi twice. First class Hotel. Shops in the Hotel are a bit pricey. The bookshop wanted EŁ300 for a book we bought at Aswan Airport for EŁ15. A couple of things to do in Aswan. 1. Visit the Nubian Restaurant on Essa Island telephone 0122162379. Take the Ferry from oposite the Egypt Air Offices. 2. Take a Felucca trip on the Nile. The Feluccas at the Oberoi ferry landing are fixed price
EŁ40 per hour. Our Friend Ahmed who has 2 Feluccas "ananis" and "Honey" he will look after you well. Enjoy your Holiday.

Quote Wise Woman "I suggest you and your girlfriend say you are married (to each other of course) and see if you can both borrow or even buy cheap wedding rings, you'll get a bit more respect if you say you're married".

What a load of rubbish....We have been to Egypt 4 times now both married and unmarried and have failed to see any difference in how we were treated. Regular small amounts of baksheesh will determine far more how you are treated.

[This message has been edited by philand teresa (edited 28 August 2004).]

Posts: 119 | From: West Midlands. U.K. | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rubyslippers
Member # 4999

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rubyslippers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by philand teresa:
We have stopped at the Aswan Oberoi twice. First class Hotel. Shops in the Hotel are a bit pricey. The bookshop wanted EŁ300 for a book we bought at Aswan Airport for EŁ15. A couple of things to do in Aswan. 1. Visit the Nubian Restaurant on Essa Island telephone 0122162379. Take the Ferry from oposite the Egypt Air Offices. 2. Take a Felucca trip on the Nile. The Feluccas at the Oberoi ferry landing are fixed price
EŁ40 per hour. Our Friend Ahmed who has 2 Feluccas "ananis" and "Honey" he will l

What a load of rubbish....We have been to Egypt 4 times now both married and unmarried and have failed to see any difference in how we were treated. Regular small amounts of baksheesh will determine far more how you are treated.

[This message has been edited by philand teresa (edited 28 August 2004).]

This couldn't possibly have anything to do with the fact that the Egyptians are a polite and courteous people and you were guests in their country, could it?

Posts: 12 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lotusflower
Member # 4661

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for lotusflower     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget to visit Murphys Irish Pub in Luxor for the Baileys agus craic.

Posts: 48 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philand teresa
Member # 2726

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for philand teresa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quote rubyslippers "This couldn't possibly have anything to do with the fact that the Egyptians are a polite and courteous people and you were guests in their country, could it"?

Yes, it has everything to do with Egyptian People being polite and courteous. As we are polite and courteous to them and carry on the tradition of giving baksheesh as a token of thanks.

Posts: 119 | From: West Midlands. U.K. | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnotherNewMember
Member # 5014

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnotherNewMember     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Quote rubyslippers "This couldn't possibly have anything to do with the fact that the Egyptians are a polite and courteous people and you were guests in their country, could it"?

Yes, it has everything to do with Egyptian People being polite and courteous. As we are polite and courteous to them and carry on the tradition of giving baksheesh as a token of thanks.

, Don't you just hate it when people give visitors advice as if they are moving to Egypt?

If you had to be married to visit, I'm sure the hotels would NOT rent out any rooms to you. It's usually when you try to bring a 'local' to your room that there is any hassle, but coming with your significant other should be okay.

Posts: 323 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philand teresa
Member # 2726

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for philand teresa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quote AnotherNewMember "Don't you just hate it when people give visitors advice as if they are moving to Egypt?"

Could not agree more. But the worst advice of all in here is that given by those who are promoting their buisness interests. How can they give balanced advice and help when they are wanting to promote their own buisness interests ??

mydream
Member # 4638

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for mydream     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll love your trip to Egypt
Just a couple of tips
Don't bother to buy your medicine before you go - it's cheaper in Egypt - I have to say we have visited 4 times now and never had a tummy upset/sickness
We changed some money into Egyptian before leaving the UK - which was a mistake as we got a better deal in Egypt. You can change money at the Sheraton
I gather you can get an even better deal on the black market but you have to know/trust the person you are dealing with - so we have never bothered
The Sheraton is in a lovely spot - a little out of the main drag but it's not a problem and the Italian restaurant is good. They do have a bus shuttle service which stops near Luxor Temple and another stop further down the Corniche
Happy hols

Posts: 97 | From: uk | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
But the worst advice of all in here is that given by those who are promoting their buisness interests. How can they give balanced advice and help when they are wanting to promote their own buisness interests ??

I beg to differ. I know not everyone agrees with me, but I do try to offer balanced helpful advise even though I also would like to get some business off this board now and then. I think I know how things work pretty well around here and if I see someone walking into a trap one way or another I try to steer them the other direction, and if it means that CCd can help them enjoy their holiday more, why should I not offer that alternative?

All we do is offer alternatives to conventional travel. Everyone is free to pick their own ways to travel.

------------------
www.casualcairodetours.pyramids.net for customized excursions in Cairo and beyond
Dds71@aol.com

[This message has been edited by Debbie (edited 29 August 2004).]

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lotusflower:
Don't forget to visit Murphys Irish Pub in Luxor for the Baileys agus craic.

My advise is to not bother eating there though. At least not if you are hungry and there is someone else in there. I'm not sure if they have to go to Ireland for the food or not, but it takes a long long time to get to you.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ronan
Member # 5171

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for ronan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks soooooo much to all of you who gave me advice!!!
I'll take it all on board during my stay and let ye all know how we got on when we come back

Bulldog - Ya going with Kouni...
Carleen - Cheers mighty web site
Kenzie - Sheraton towers????
lotusflower - Wow an Irish pub in Egypt never knew that...... we're everywhere!!!

wise_woman
Member # 444

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for wise_woman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If an Egyptian asks you and your girlfriend if you are married and you say no, then it may seem to them that she is open to offers as you are not married the relationship cannot be serious.

Some of them have a negative and unpleasant view of western women as it is. If a woman is on holiday and sharing a room with someone who is not her husband, they assume she is the type to share a bed with any man.

This is my experience of 12 trips to Egypt and of fellow tourists there.
That's why I say to people to say you are married, should anyone ask. There's no harm in telling a little white lie.

Posts: 266 | From: Scotland, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
But the worst advice of all in here is that given by those who are promoting their buisness interests. How can they give balanced advice and help when they are wanting to promote their own buisness interests ??

That's a very odd opinion. Didn't you consult a travel agency or airline before you came? Aren't they promoting business interests? If you buy a car, don't you ask the car dealer for advice?

I've travelled all over Egypt and could recommmend a hotel in Sohag, Marsa Alam or Ras El-Barr, but I have a full-time job and no time to be dispensing advice on the net. Someone who makes it their business will be free to do that, and will be motivated to give you the best advice so you come back for more.

Posts: 1039 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neofret*
Member # 4123

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Neofret*   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Ronan,

I just come back from my fourth trip to Egypt.
You can find useful information following the links:
- for travel tips - www.ask-aladdin.com/tips.html
- for what sites to visit - www.ask-aladdin.com/whattovisit1.htm
- for traditions and culture - www.ask-aladdin.com/culture1.htm
- for weather in Egypt - www.ask-aladdin.com/weather.htm

Have a wonderful trip to Egypt!

Posts: 18 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bulldog
Member # 2721

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bulldog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You only get three wishes with that lamp Flori.
Posts: 176 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philand teresa
Member # 2726

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for philand teresa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quote Citizen "but I have a full-time job and no time to be dispensing advice on the net."

So back to Work you go.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com