EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » VISITING LUXOR (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: VISITING LUXOR
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But Debbie, your first comment to his HIV (-ve) comment was an attack..it could have been : why do you say so? or do you have doubts jag or whatever ...but you started by saying your true colours, this and homophobic that...

Exactly like akshar calling me this and that because she disliked my comments..now we can't express something without being called all sorts of names? it does make one feel like attacking back actually let me tell you... but I am sure that we all have other personal and serious things to take care of, instead of attacking one another here.

When someone says on this forum that an Egyptian man is being extremely vile to them, I don't see you people defending that man...you all believe he must be bad...so what is the difference on this thread...what makes the 2 cooks better than a vile Egyptian?

To wrap up my side of things on this thread: I really wish we would all be kinder to one another on this forum, and as far as I'm concerned I do not regret expressing my views regarding the restaurant's cooks, exactly like we express our views towards flats that are not appropriate for foreigners, advising people not to deal with this or that company, or not to go to this or that hotel, or not to mingle with the help as the culture is different in Egypt, that's all...

quote:
Originally posted by Debbie:
Monica....POLEEESE! This wasn't arrogant? Come on girl!

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 01 June 2004).]

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by claire_1237:
I am equally repulsed by Gay men that come to Egypt and use money to prey on vunerable young men.

Claire, I was under the impression that you live in Luxor... if so I am somewhat surprised that you would generalise here. Vulnerable young men? Personally, I know quite a few who are running around sporting the latest fashions, the latest mobile phones, driving nice cars. They arent vulnerable, they know exactly what they are doing. And they dont just have their male "friends", some of them also have Orfi wives..... who probably dont know anything about their activities when they are not in town. I have also been a first hand witness when my friends were openly approached on the West Bank, no embarrassment, not a thought of hiding what they wanted, and on more than one occasion. Admittedly, there are young boys who see the opportunity to make a few bucks and these are the ones who could be classed as vulnerable. Much like in any country where young people are taken advantage of in this way. But your comment implies that all the locals are vulnerable young men... they are not!
Lol, having said that, I know many who are appalled at the thought of gay sex, but still manage to turn a blind eye to the goings on, and are even envious of the material things which can be obtained this way.
Sadly, I do not believe this can ever be stopped, not while there is money to be made.

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Positive
Member # 4451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Positive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Homosexuality is not accepted or respected in Egypt. Even if it exists for ages.

The young men you are talking about in Luxor are male prostitutes.

It is absolutely Taboo in all classes.

When people want to really hurt someone, in Egypt, by insulting them, they call him a homosexual.

Gigolos and Homosexuals for most people in Egypt are considered a big shame.

These are facts.

Posts: 10 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dreamcatcher
Member # 3938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dreamcatcher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[This message has been edited by dreamcatcher (edited 01 June 2004).]

[This message has been edited by dreamcatcher (edited 01 June 2004).]

Posts: 286 | From: south africa | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dreamcatcher
Member # 3938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dreamcatcher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[This message has been edited by dreamcatcher (edited 25 July 2004).]

Posts: 286 | From: south africa | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dreamcatcher
Member # 3938

Rate Member
deleted
dreamcatcher
Member # 3938

Rate Member
double post
dreamcatcher
Member # 3938

Rate Member
deleted
dreamcatcher
Member # 3938

Rate Member
deleted
dreamcatcher
Member # 3938

Rate Member
deleted
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But Monica, Jags post was in response to something as simple as this:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Kenzie:
7Days 7Ways is nice.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd make sure the 2 English fags who cook there are HIV (-ve)

Nothing more was written other than a restaurant was nice. And Jag decided he needed to call the cooks "FAGS" and suggest they have HIV? Was that "kind"?

I think he could have gotten his point across with something as simple as "Did you know that they employ gay men to work there?" and he even could have even followed with something like, "there have been some shady stories told about the goings on in there." If he'd been "kind" like that, then probably those of us that jumped on him would not have been so quick to condemn him. Probably he would have raised our curiosity, but NO, he took the cheap route out and decided to label them with a derogatory term, and accuse them of having a disease that due to ignorance raises fear in the general public. It doesn't take much more than that to get people scared, unfortunately. So, I say, if you want to talk about being "kind", talk to Jag about it as much as you talk to me or anyone else about it.

And for the record I'm still curious how Jag knows these men personally. I have a feeling (although I've never been to the restaurant) that it is WAY too balady for him to have every darkened their doorway .....but I probably am wrong.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
claire_1237
Member # 3724

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for claire_1237     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shareen,

I was not generalising as I WAS refering to the vulnerable, NOT those that you are referring to.

Of course I see what is going on, it would be bloody hard not to. Perhaps I should have said
young teenagers/boys, not men and apologise profusely for my error. I was not referring or expressing my opinions on the men that hang out on the corniche touting for business and enjoying the fruits of their labour, but as I said those that are vulnerable

A couple of years ago my husband had to intervene when he saw a young lad who appeared a little slow being propositioned. He was being offered some type of walkman to 'go back' to this guys house and was actually going to go back yet didn't appear to understand what was 'expected' of him. This was a naive young lad that had never been formally educated and had no concept whatsoever of what he was expected to do. So no I was not generalising as I WAS referring to the vunerable, not the willing and able but I am more than happy to discuss this if you so wish.
Claire

[This message has been edited by claire_1237 (edited 02 June 2004).]

[This message has been edited by claire_1237 (edited 02 June 2004).]

Posts: 81 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
claire_1237
Member # 3724

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for claire_1237     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just for the record 7 days 7 ways is a British restaurant serving basic, traditional British food. Things such as Bangers and mash, fish and chips, egg, chips and beans and bananas and custard.
I must admit that is why I asked Monica if she had actually been to 7days 7ways. I know from her posts that she seems to be quite a classy lady and couldn't quite imagine her tucking into Toad in the hole and spotted dick and custard.
Over and out
Have a great day one and all.
Claire

Posts: 81 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where is the restaurant located? I do want to see it for myself next time I'm in Luxor, for sure!
Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
claire_1237
Member # 3724

Rate Member
It is on the road on the way to the Sheraton Hotel, on the same side of the road as the Isis Hotel but further down on the same side of the road. There are signs for it along the corniche. It is a three storey building, the second floor is the restaurant, quite small, I would say about 10 tables and the third floor is an English style pub.
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was with a friend who was doing her restaurant review in Cairo, Luxor and Alexandria from the very modest category, to the top. In search of the 'simple but delicious' actually. Very misguided choice.

As per jaguar.. you can choose to take his word, and my support for it, or not.

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 02 June 2004).]

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meeting the cooks and forming your own opinion is a good idea..

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 02 June 2004).]

Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Claire
Thanks for the verification. Sorry I questioned you, I was simply surprised at your post. No need to discuss it further, we both know the score in Luxor I think. And I would have done exactly the same as your husband in the same situation.
I guess the reason I have never been in the said restaurant is simply that I prefer my tahina and kofta, why would anyone miss out on such wonderful food just to eat British fish and chips! Not even sure where it is, but I guess from your description to Debbie I could find it if I ever got an urgent need for spotted dick! Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww

To finalise, I think basically, we all agree that the situation witnessed at the said restaurant was pretty nasty, and I think we all agree that this kind of behaviour is frowned upon. It is particularly prevalent in Luxor, and I sincerely hope that the authorities can come up with something to clean up the town.

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
claire_1237
Member # 3724

Rate Member
I couldn't agree more! I have had a drink there but not food although I may try it in the unlikely event that I feel homesick and fancy some British fare. Much prefer local myself, dawood pasha is my newest favourite. Yum!

Take care,
Claire

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[This message has been edited by Luxorlover (edited 12 July 2004).]

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Debbie,

In regards with jag knowing the cooks personally: He is into safety building inspection. So you can guess that he does encounter many sleezy characters wherever he goes, Luxor included.

Tourists that pay men when in Egypt, for sexual services, wether with a licence to do so temporarily or not do not really help the clean up process. But that is another story.

About the cleaning up of Luxor in terms of corruption, including prostitution in all its forms, pedophilia, and child abuse etc...it is a very very long process, and it is a great hope of mine along with many other Egyptians. A huge bust could happen in Luxor at one point, under the prostitution act.

I still wish everyone would be kinder around here..and my wish does include everyone.

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 03 June 2004).]

claire_1237
Member # 3724

Rate Member
Jaguar sounds like a real catch!
Yesterday before you edited a post you mentioned that he was a famous Egyptian TV personality - but owns his own Construction company also?
A man of many talents - come on girls, line up!

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My friend who was reviewing the restaurant is the TV personality not jaguar.

quote:
Yesterday before you edited a post you mentioned that he was a famous Egyptian TV personality - but owns his own Construction company also?

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way Claire this is not a contest....

quote:

claire_1237
Member # 3724

Rate Member
Monica - I was being genuine in my response
Nefertiti
Member # 1628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nefertiti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shareen:
Nefertiti
Lol, you know me well enough to know I dont get upset with anyone who has a different opinion from me, especially my friends. It was a curious question regarding "muslim" homosexuality, nothing more. After all, you know as well as I do that without the prostitution of Luxor men (with males and females) there would be no "sex tourism". Egypt isnt the only country in the world where this happens, its just sad that it happens in a place I love.
And my birthday was really good! I did the hot air balloon over the antiquities, amazing! Shame you couldnt have made it down for a couple of days. I have asked you before...... any chance you can make it in July? C and I have a spare bedroom if you want to utilise it!

Hope you both have a great evening!

Sounds like you had a great birthday! I'm sorry i wasn't able to make it but i had one fairly long holiday in Aswan before you came, then i went to England in April

July? I think i will be making another trip to England in August and work will kill me for all these holidays, but I will try!!!!!!!! You love Luxor at its hottest it seems?!? I guess i'm gonna be the tanned one again!

Say hi to C and again i will try, try, try!!!!

Posts: 693 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
And claire, I know for a fact that jaguar is fully committed

jaguar
Member # 3378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jaguar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DEBBIE said
And for the record I'm still curious how Jag knows these men personally

God..What a cunning question Ms Debbie!! Wow
I often enough go to Luxor-once a fortnight, and I often enough have a drink there.. So I do know the fags. Please don't be too curious as it killed a thick cat.

Posts: 477 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
People,

Isn't this forum an exchange of opinions and discussions on various topics? Questions and answers and information added, and help provided when possible mostly on Egypt and Egyptian related topics? I believe that is the main purpose. As a member here, I'm asking all could we keep it that way, as much as we can?

Regardless of whom has attacked whom first in the past, or on any thread including this one, can we call it a wrap please?

I really wish that the attacks would stop on all threads... Attacks against me, against you all, and against the others on other threads. It would be much kinder.

Thanks.

Raymon
Member # 3727

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry for coming late as usual, but Debbie, I hope you accept my comment here with tolerance:
I agree with you ... Jag made a quick comment without much explanation and his comments probably aroused curiosity ... but don't you think that you should have asked him back what does he mean instead of jumping into some conclusion?
It is very normal that if a comment is not clear enough, I presume a good intention, and ask back for clarification. I mean we are not writing a novel here to stick by the rule of Who, What, When, Why, Where and How?

And you are an ES veteran, and you know well who has bad or good intention among us, and probably you have seen previous comments by Jag, and you know what kind of man he is.

quote:
Nothing more was written other than a restaurant was nice. And Jag decided he needed to call the cooks "FAGS" and suggest they have HIV? Was that "kind"?

I think he could have gotten his point across with something as simple as "Did you know that they employ gay men to work there?" and he even could have even followed with something like, "there have been some shady stories told about the goings on in there." If he'd been "kind" like that, then probably those of us that jumped on him would not have been so quick to condemn him. Probably he would have raised our curiosity, but NO, he took the cheap route out and decided to label them with a derogatory term, and accuse them of having a disease that due to ignorance raises fear in the general public. It doesn't take much more than that to get people scared, unfortunately. So, I say, if you want to talk about being "kind", talk to Jag about it as much as you talk to me or anyone else about it.

And for the record I'm still curious how Jag knows these men personally. I have a feeling (although I've never been to the restaurant) that it is WAY too balady for him to have every darkened their doorway .....but I probably am wrong.

[This message has been edited by Raymon (edited 03 June 2004).]

Posts: 288 | From: Egypt | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymon
Member # 3727

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take this quote for example, and I won't presume bad intention, so, as a founder of www.youregypt.com, I'd ask you what do intend to say?

quote:
With posts like this, I'm happy you have found a new board to spend most of your time on

------------------
youregypt forum … your convenient answer to your question about Egypt

Posts: 288 | From: Egypt | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jaguar
Member # 3378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jaguar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeslam Fomak ya Raymon...
To make a boring story short, I simply cannot stand Fags nor sluts.. I don't give a damn if I sound or look uncivilized doing so.. I simply wouldn't consume food cooked by a fag for safety measures (right,wrong or even left medically speaking) This is a kinky era, wronging the right and righting the wrong about what is supposed to be virtuous. Not that I am an angel ---> far from that. A real rotten Era that is.

Posts: 477 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
jaguar ... I find, that when some of us express our rigid views in regards for example with promiscuity/sluts, betrayal, adultery, gigolos, sexual abuse etc...as well as the mention of the words that tend to offend people like 'fag' for example, which in reality is the slang word for 'faggot' US definition of a male homosexual, that stems from the French word 'fagot', which means 'someone that goes against the norm'.. many do not accept those views, it is their own choice not to .. as much as it is our choice to stick by those views.

QUOTE]Originally posted by jaguar:
Yeslam Fomak ya Raymon...
To make a boring story short, I simply cannot stand Fags nor sluts.. I don't give a damn if I sound or look uncivilized doing so.. I simply wouldn't consume food cooked by a fag for safety measures (right,wrong or even left medically speaking) This is a kinky era, wronging the right and righting the wrong about what is supposed to be virtuous. Not that I am an angel ---> far from that. A real rotten Era that is.
[/QUOTE]

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 04 June 2004).]

strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Raymon:
Take this quote for example, and I won't presume bad intention, so, as a founder of www.youregypt.com, I'd ask you what do intend to say?

I mean, since at youregypt.com you've made Monica and Jag monitors of nearly every forum over there. I assume this means you have a "kinder, gentler" board over there that is FAG free. And I wish you and them the best of luck with it.

Dirk
Member # 4259

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dirk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by akshar:
I don't know your friends but I am a West bank girl. It sounds as though you made friends last time so I am sure if you can't find those you will met new ones.

I guess I don't need to tell you not to believe everything they say though lol

I hope you have a lovely time

As you are a west bank girl, do you know Mohammed Badawy (El Gurna)?

[This message has been edited by Dirk (edited 04 June 2004).]

Posts: 71 | From: Belgium | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Nefertiti!
C said you were coming back in April! Why didnt you call me or something? We could have met up So can we try in August? How long will you be home for? And if you can get to Luxor, we would love to see you, its just the 2 of us this time, so we plan lazy and no "babysitting" lol... Jane has a pool which we are planning on utilising! Fingers crossed you can make a couple of days with us.

Monica.... sorry for turning this into something amusing, but in England a "faggot" is a type of meatball... just thought you might find it amusing.

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Shareen..it is a fact I knew it..( ball of spiced chopped liver also) and almost mentioned it, then thought..maybe another time..another thread...
You did make me smile

quote:
Nefertiti!
C said you were coming back in April! Why didnt you call me or something? We could have met up So can we try in August? How long will you be home for? And if you can get to Luxor, we would love to see you, its just the 2 of us this time, so we plan lazy and no "babysitting" lol... Jane has a pool which we are planning on utilising! Fingers crossed you can make a couple of days with us.

Monica.... sorry for turning this into something amusing, but in England a "faggot" is a type of meatball... just thought you might find it amusing.

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 04 June 2004).]

Nefertiti
Member # 1628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nefertiti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Nefertiti!

Hi Shareen,

My trip in April was completely lazy, i tried to do as little as possible!!!!!! I did want to come up North but couldn't find the energy If i come in August it will be for 7-10 days so sure i'll try to come up or we can meet somewhere half way!!!!

Luxor is the most likely choice though, i have kinda put it in my mind to make an effort to come for a few days. What are your dates? Are you staying in the same flat? Let me know and i will book the time off

Hmmm dreaming of lazing on a Felluca now!

Posts: 693 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
I emailed you Nefertiti!!

Millie
Member # 5603

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Millie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tally:
Iam visiting luxor soon and have asked if anyone had any information on friends, which unforunately has proved negative. havent been there for quite some time so am a little nervous as am going alone. am staying at the sonesta which i know is a lovley hotel,is there anywere i can go being a single female were i wont get any hassle, if anyone knows would be greatful. know what to were and what to avoid but its 2 yrs since ive been so any help would be useful.
Am still trying to find my friends, have found one of them but if anyone knows what has happended to anter ahmd would be greatful last i knew he was at meridian hotel working in the health club. however that was 2 yrs ago and he amy have gone into the army has a brother ashraf and hace a jewlery shops in savoy street

will let ypu know how i get on

thanks any help most welcome

Hi Tally,
I'm new to this site, and i have just been reading through lots of postings.
I notice youre from England like myself and was wondering if you would share some of your experiences with me.
I'm due to go to Egypt with my sister next May and i'm a bit apprehensive about it.
My sister has been before and has fallen for this egyptian man over there which i'm really worried about...
Anyway, i was just wondering what kind of time you've had in Egypt, as i read from previous postings that you travel alone and was wondering if you'd encountered any bad experiences.
I also wondered if you ever did catch up with your friends you mentioned ~ Anter and his friend Ashraf. Had your friend gone into the army? I hope you found them, i love a happy ending. I also hope he gave you a good time while out there.
Do you always stay at the Sonesta? each time you go. That is the hotel where we are staying. My sis hasnt stayed there before, so i was wondering what its like.
Do you think you'd go again?
I'd love to find someone to ask a few things about.. and wondering if you would reply.. as i said i'm new to this site and i'm a bit apprehensive about egypt. i'd love someone to chat to about it. regards, Millie :0) x
Millie1963@fsnet.co.uk

Posts: 7 | From: uk | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Millie
Member # 5603

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Millie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Tally, gave you wrong email address..
it is Millie1963@fsmail.net

I just wanted to chat with others about experiences, as i'm getting just my sisters representation of it, ie, the man shes fallen for etc..
i want more than that. i want to visit places etc and know more about what its like..

Posts: 7 | From: uk | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BRITISHLADY
Member # 5424

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for BRITISHLADY   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not regular to Luxor but my husband and I have been in the 7 Days&Ways and have found the food to be great, the prices fair and the two british owners very nice people. Surely, there personal life and activities are there own and none of our business. Two guys in love and making a successful business so what, when they have so much to lose don you think it would be stupid for them to engage with the locals. I would recommend the 7 Days & Ways restuarant to anyone going to Luxor.
Posts: 28 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LivinginLuxor
Member # 5660

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LivinginLuxor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've also heard of the rumours of ill treatment of waiters at that restaurant. I live in Luxor, and so decided to visit 7Days7Ways soon after moving here.

It was the most depressing bar I have visited here - 2 rows of mainly English tourists staring at each other across a crowded room - little in the way of atmosphere, and very slow service. However, the restaurant was full - 20 minutes wait for a table, and so was the bar, so they must be doing something right - They cater to a niche market - the British tourist - and with the emphasis on Brish food - even a traditional Sunday Roast, for god's sake! - also pander to those whose opinion of foreign food is not of the highest!

The other sad thing, compared with other bars and restaurants, was that there were no Egyptians there when I visited - which again might say something about the place.

OK - this might sound a little snobbish, but it certainly doesn't seem to cater for the type of people whose company I enjoy.

I would certainly not recommend the place to any but the most insular of the British.

------------------
Stan
www.eternalegypt.co.uk

Posts: 16 | From: Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LivinginLuxor:
I've also heard of the rumours of ill treatment of waiters at that restaurant. I live in Luxor, and so decided to visit 7Days7Ways soon after moving here.

It was the most depressing bar I have visited here - 2 rows of mainly English tourists staring at each other across a crowded room - little in the way of atmosphere, and very slow service. However, the restaurant was full - 20 minutes wait for a table, and so was the bar, so they must be doing something right - They cater to a niche market - the British tourist - and with the emphasis on Brish food - even a traditional Sunday Roast, for god's sake! - also pander to those whose opinion of foreign food is not of the highest!

The other sad thing, compared with other bars and restaurants, was that there were no Egyptians there when I visited - which again might say something about the place.

OK - this might sound a little snobbish, but it certainly doesn't seem to cater for the type of people whose company I enjoy.

I would certainly not recommend the place to any but the most insular of the British.

So what is wrong with that. Many a fortune has been made on the Costa's by selling egg and chips. If you see a need and meet it, this is good business practice. As for there being no Egyptians you will find that in most of the resturants catering for the tourist trade in Luxor.

Egyptians have their own places where they go and feel at home, this is rarely where tourist congregate.

So we have loads of resturants in Luxor some cater for insular tourists and some for Egyptians and everything inbetween; so why is that sad. I would have said it was healthy competition.

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LivinginLuxor : - I visit the restaurant and so do most of the people that I know. I also visit Maxime's and will visit the Lantern now that it is open. They all serve good food.

I am sorry that you consider us not the type of people whose company you enjoy. I wonder if I would enjoy your company - and I admit to being a snob.

[This message has been edited by Luxorlover (edited 20 October 2004).]

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LivinginLuxor
Member # 5660

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LivinginLuxor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to have caused controversy - but I was trying to make the point that I do find it sad that 'tourists' segregate themselves.

Maxine's is a prime example of what a good restaurant can be in Luxor - food is excellent, prices are good, and it is a mixed clientele. Whereas, if the rumours and previous posts are true, 7days7ways resembles more of a Bernard Manning type locale.

I guess I am a snob, and one of the worst sort - the intellectual snob. Not that I class myself as intellectual, but I don't enjoy the company of people I have little in common with and can't have a decent conversation with.

I do agree with Jane's point about competition being good, and that there are a great variety of places to go in Luxor - I've found that in the short time I've been living here, and maybe I should have worded my reply better.

Posts: 16 | From: Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
sorry - double posting

[This message has been edited by Luxorlover (edited 22 October 2004).]

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
There is no controversy - everyone is entitled to their own opinion of places. I usually talk to the people I came with so I am not generally aware of the itellectual capacity of fellow diners.

I hope that you find a restaurant in Luxor to your liking but I know of none where they discuss the merits of Shakespeare's sonnets or the pros and cons of Egypt's taxation system rather than the price of carrots. Can you recommend any? I might like to try them too.

Until then I can heartily recommend the fish at the Amun restaurant which is also largely frequented by Europeans. The new Lantern Restaurant might suit you as it serves a mixture of English and Egyptian fdishes but I cannot comment on the intellectual capacity of the diners there either.

dreamcatcher
Member # 3938

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Luxorlover:
There is no controversy - everyone is entitled to their own opinion of places. I usually talk to the people I came with so I am not generally aware of the itellectual capacity of fellow diners.

I hope that you find a restaurant in Luxor to your liking but I know of none where they discuss the merits of Shakespeare's sonnets or the pros and cons of Egypt's taxation system rather than the price of carrots. Can you recommend any? I might like to try them too.

Until then I can heartily recommend the fish at the Amun restaurant which is also largely frequented by Europeans. The new Lantern Restaurant might suit you as it serves a mixture of English and Egyptian fdishes but I cannot comment on the intellectual capacity of the diners there either.

LL......luv yr wit..........u make me smile

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Dreamy - What post are you going to apply for on our new forum virtual beauty salon? It's on another line LL
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com