EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Religion » Bibles are banned from hospital bedsides

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bibles are banned from hospital bedsides
mocking bird
Member # 10937

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mocking bird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bible ban uproar
By KELVIN HEALEY and IAN HABERFIELD
14may06

BIBLES have been banished from Victorian hospital bedsides and some schools because they may offend non-Christians. Almost all Melbourne's major hospitals have withdrawn the Holy Book from rooms and several schools have refused to allow their students to be given free Bibles.

The Gideons International Australia, which distributes Bibles free to hospitals, schools and motels, blames political correctness.

"The reason most often given is that 'We are a multicultural organisation and we don't want to offend anyone'," Gideons' executive director Trevor Monson said.

"It is a terrible shame because we get lots of letters from people who say having a Bible by their hospital bed has been a great comfort to them during their darkened days."

The Catholic Church condemned the ban and labelled arguments that Bibles could offend non-Christians as "silly".

"To say that other faiths might be offended if a Bible is there is nonsense," Archdiocese of Melbourne auxiliary bishop Christopher Prowse said.

Hospitals including the Royal Melbourne, Royal Children's, Austin, The Alfred, Monash Medical Centre, Box Hill, Maroondah, Dandenong and Casey have all removed Bibles. Royal Melbourne spokesman Rod Jackson-Smith denied a ban, but said: "We don't (have Bibles in each room) any more.

"Because we have so many people from different religious backgrounds it is considered inappropriate.

"It is also an infection control measure."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,19124794%255E2862,00.html

Posts: 199 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they have also done this in UK.

As a Muslim I would not be 'offended' by having a Bible in hospital. If I wanted to read it I would, if not then i dont have to. But I dont see why they have to put one there anyway!

Its a common Christian missionary thing, handing out Bibles all over the place. Some like it, others dont. Bit like hospital food, some like it some dont.

I dont see though why there has to be a commotion about stopping it. Middle Eastern hospitals dont leave a Quran at the bedside.

As the article says, its inappropriate these days with people of many different religions.

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can i just point out that 'removing' them is not the same as 'banning' them. They have NOT been banned. If someone wanted to take their own Bible to hospital they would not refuse and say that book is banned would they!! And im sure if someone ASKED for one they would get one!

I am Muslim, I have a Quran AND I HAVE A BIBLE.

--------------------

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catch a 4alling **ChImP**
Member # 10093

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for catch a 4alling **ChImP**     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good for you girl ,and has muslims we are meant to know the old testemant and we actually should relize that prophet muhammed (pbuh,)reconised the scriptures ,i clap and applaud you ,in a whisper i even have the torah ,is that a probs oh hell not , i think its us that has a problem trying to be the no1,when in the end we are all equal ..
Posts: 1602 | From: the banana island shake me tweeeeeeee | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catch a 4alling **ChImP**
Member # 10093

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for catch a 4alling **ChImP**     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and in my hospital i see the gideon bible at the back of the cabinet ,its in every where aint got a probs with it ..if they r that pissed of with it then take your quran in and read it ,i always take a little pocket quran with me wher ever i go ,
Posts: 1602 | From: the banana island shake me tweeeeeeee | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike rozier
Member # 10852

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike rozier     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is just a sign that the world is going to hell.

--------------------
The ground at Calvary's Cross is level

Posts: 1172 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
thanks chimps [Big Grin]

The Bible I have is both Old and New Testements, its quite old as it was given to my mother when she was only 9 years old.

--------------------

Mr Egypt
Member # 10436

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr Egypt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
thanks chimps [Big Grin]

The Bible I have is both Old and New Testements, its quite old as it was given to my mother when she was only 9 years old.

Assalmu alykum Aiysha,
I do have the Quran and the bible as well, could you please post the information about the old bible you mentioned, I am interested in old versions of the bibles since I study it. what version is it and what edition ? the year of publishing.

Posts: 1201 | From: Egypt | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Asalamu Alaikum Mr Egypt, sorry took so long. I got your PM and had to climb over furniture to get to it [Big Grin]

There is no page that says when it was printed and its looking very tatty, I dont like to use it and normally use online one now.

The date written in it by someone, presumably my gran or mum, is April 1940, but there is also a bit that says given to my mum when she was nearly 10, she was born in 1929 to thats 1939 she would have been given it. It was given to me in 1966, when i was nearly 10 too.

Its a king James version.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com