EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Religion » The Qu'ran

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Qu'ran
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for weirdkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok- so I have finally bought the book. I bought the Abdullah Yusef Ali translation (opinions welcome) because it seemed the most common.
Also, I bought Islam for dummies, and quran for dummies [Big Grin]
So, anyone here thought they could never believe in it, but suddenly felt "enlightened" once reading it? Because right now, I really don't think I ever will, sadly Sam has great hope that I'll read it and convert.

Posts: 2573 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Islam for dummies seems to deal with mostly Shia issues, at least that's what I see in my copy.

Don't read it expecting anything other than to educate yourself. Why would you look at it otherwise? You're merely reading the translation. Read it and see what you can take from it. (FYI be sure to read all of the footnotes, it helps)

[Smile]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for weirdkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes- even if at the end, I'm still don’t believe, at least I will have a better understanding of something so important in Sam's life. So either way, it will be totally worth my time.
Are some English translations more reliable than others? Mine just cost 25p from amazon, so if I do need to get another version, it wont break the bank.
I hope Islam for dummies at least explains the difference between sunnis and shias. I am pretty clueless when it comes to Islam- so if anyone has any other reading material to recommend, feel free.

--------------------
Another one....

Posts: 2573 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caterpila
Member # 14977

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caterpila     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can give you my opinion on the difference between Sunni and Shia for what its worth.

I have many friends who are Shia, and as a revert I have not grown up with any preconceived ideas about them.

The muslims basically split into these groups after the prophets (pbuh) death, some muslims believe the next caliph should be chosen out of the companions (sunni) and some believe it should have been the prophets daughters husband, Ali (Shia).
And there is where the divide seems to have begun, in simplistic terms.

The way I see it, is that a muslim is someone that believes in one God, the Qur'an and believes in the prophet, and the other prophets.

So in my mind, what came after this is just divisions created by man, as usual.

A muslim is a muslim IMO, If people deviate from the Qur'an and the prophet Muhammed by fighting each other over who should have led them next, then this isn't Islam.

Shia do some different things to Sunni, practice slightly differently etc. But Muslims shouldn't have divided, thats the point I'm trying to make.

Even within sunni and shia there are more divisions, depending on which scholar some people follow. If I were you weirdkitty, I would just focus on the Qur'an, maybe strong hadith and the prophets life, forget all the rest, its just politics and personal preference.

And also, whatever copy you get, your fiance may still have different views, within muslims, as you know, there are thousands of different ways to interpret everything, so its more about whether or not you think along the same lines regarding the important things.

Unfortunately for me, even though I did revert and am a muslim, my way of thinking about Islam, women, children, marriage, is a million miles away from my husbands (and his friends), even though he is muslim too. I do however share similar views, opinions, ideas with other born muslims, so its not because i'm western. Its just because I think very differently from my husband and his 'gang'.

So bear that in mind when you read, it may help to mix with as many muslims as you can, just to get a real life view of how it is in practice.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES, if you can follow try getting ANYTHING from Jeffrey Lang. Struggling to Surrender is the best. [Wink]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EgyptianLiving_Com
Member # 15630

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EgyptianLiving_Com   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also since the Quran will always be the Original Arabic Quran - you have to remember you are reading a translation of the meaning of the Quran. To fully appreciate it, you should try listening to some Arabic recitations - all can be found on the net.

It doesn't matter that you dont understand what you are hearing (majority of muslims are non-arabs anyway) you can even listen while reading a translation. Because the Arabic Quran is so beautiful to listen to, really is. There are even Surahs on youtube with english subtitles.

On this site you can find the entire quran recited (these recitations were all done by memory too)

http://www.islamhouse.com/p/92503

surah 55 - Al Rahman is my faveourite one [Smile]

"Which of the Favours of your Lord can you deny?"

--------------------
www.egyptianliving.com

Posts: 77 | From: www.egyptianliving.com | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysticheart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alhamdulilah someone is showing an interest in understanding what Islam is.
The translation you have is the one that most mosques here in the states are giving out. I would suggest going to a library and seeing what other translations they have available and comparing. Most are very close in wording.
I, myself, have 3 different translations.
When i first began this 5 years ago I did it out of simple curiosity to a friends religion, however once i started reading, i couldnt stop. I just felt pieces fall into place, a sense of belonging. I went to several different churches through my life and never felt i belonged, something was always missing or different. When i started learning of Islam the feeling was so different, completion? the answers to what was missing.
Either way, whether you revert to Islam in the end or not, you will take away an understanding and that means alot.

--------------------
http://image.lafemmebonita.com/c/av879029.jpg

Posts: 2410 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EgyptianLiving_Com
Member # 15630

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EgyptianLiving_Com   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just found a vid on youtube of surah al rahman with english subtitles and arabic recitation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0UullPIXVA

--------------------
www.egyptianliving.com

Posts: 77 | From: www.egyptianliving.com | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lumos
Member # 14589

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Lumos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by weirdkitty:
So, anyone here thought they could never believe in it, but suddenly felt "enlightened" once reading it? Because right now, I really don't think I ever will, sadly Sam has great hope that I'll read it and convert. [/QB]

This is a huge red flag, as far as I'm concerned. Do you hope Sam will convert to being an atheist? Or do you have enough respect for him to allow him to believe what he likes? If you respect him in this way, why can't he respect you? Does his religion encourage him to respect atheist belief?

There is nothing wrong with learning more about any faith, but doing so to please a man is never a good move. What happens if neither of you are prepared to change? Can you be together happily in Egypt as atheist and Muslim? Or do you pretend to convert, just to save his face and make life easier? Have you discussed these issues with him and what happens if you can't agree?

Posts: 1157 | From: Censor - Edit - Delete, but you will never take away my FREEDOM! | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
quote:
This is a huge red flag, as far as I'm concerned. Do you hope Sam will convert to being an atheist? Or do you have enough respect for him to allow him to believe what he likes? If you respect him in this way, why can't he respect you? Does his religion encourage him to respect atheist belief?
He can believe whatever he wants to believe- I haven't asked him to read God Delusion, lol. Although, whenever he brings up me reading the qu'ran, I often tell him to go read the book or Mormon, haha.
Religion is really our only problem, sadly it is a big one. Because the qu'ran says a Muslims cannot marry an atheist, so the reason why he wants me to convert isn't because of lack of respect, but because it will just make it easier. However, I have asked him can he be married to a British atheist... and, well, clearly he gave the right answer otherwise we wouldn't still be together.

quote:
There is nothing wrong with learning more about any faith, but doing so to please a man is never a good move. What happens if neither of you are prepared to change? Can you be together happily in Egypt as atheist and Muslim? Or do you pretend to convert, just to save his face and make life easier? Have you discussed these issues with him and what happens if you can't agree?
We have had religious debates, and they have never been heated, just light-hearted talks that we both find interesting. Believe me, I'm not going into anything blindly, we discuss every possible issue we might have. If my atheism was such a big deal, then do you think I would be on this site (which he is a member of) constantly have religious debates?
Once said I would never date a religious person, so I guess when love is involved, it is amazing how our thoughts suddenly change.
Ohh, and I wouldn't convert or anything just for him, you can't believe in something just because the person you love does. But I had planned on reading the qu'ran anyway, I've done the bible, and most of the book of mormon (not a thrilling read), so it really isn't chore because I'm interested in religions.

--------------------
Another one....

Lumos
Member # 14589

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Lumos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for answering, WK. As for your guy reading up on atheism, why shouldn't he? You are prepared to look into his beliefs and try and understand what's behind them. You deserve the same respect.
Religions are interesting and you certainly seem to have covered a fair bit of ground. [Smile]

"Because the qu'ran says a Muslims cannot marry an atheist, so the reason why he wants me to convert isn't because of lack of respect, but because it will just make it easier." WK

In a country such as Egypt, this is certainly true and I see why people with little choice sometimes take pragmatic positions. It would be far healthier and less hypocritical if this wasn't the case. Even with true love, major differences in religious issues can be very difficult to overcome. You see this and are attempting to hit the ground running. Good luck to you both.

Posts: 1157 | From: Censor - Edit - Delete, but you will never take away my FREEDOM! | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com