EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Politics » Wow- I think I'm in love with Campbell Brown

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wow- I think I'm in love with Campbell Brown
Hibbah
Member # 12156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hibbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/10/12/manatee.dies.ap/index.html

thank God somebody said it (that is- somebody who isn't Muslim/Arab or related to Muslim/Arabs in any way, and who said it on main stream media)

Posts: 1967 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sad story about the manatee [Frown] but I think you posted the wrong link hibbah.
Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hibbah
Member # 12156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hibbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh no! did i really?

that IS a sad story, i had sent that story to someone as well- b/c we had watched a story about him earlier this week- how he was just swimming around and how people were trying to figure how to get him back home....

let me find the other link

--By CNN's Hala Gorani

At a John McCain political rally a few days ago, a lady told the republican presidential hopeful that she didn't trust Obama because she'd read that he was an "Arab."

McCain answered: "No Ma'am, he's a decent family man."

The implication was clear: being Arab - or Muslim as we've seen in recent examples throughout the campaign - is considered so bad that accusing someone of belonging to that ethnic group is tantamount to an insult.

John McCain didn't answer: "Obama is American." McCain insisted that Obama was a "decent family man" and "citizen."

What if the woman had said she didn't trust Obama because he is Black? Would there have been outrage then? Would McCain's answer had been different?

The truth is that, throughout this campaign, the term Muslim or Arab has been routinely used as a slur. And both parties are playing the game.

One, for instance, by insisting on mentioning Obama's middle name "Hussein" to remind voters that he has foreign roots (of the kind not too popular these days;) the other by trying very hard to distance its candidate from any notion that he has Arab or Muslim origins. Remember the story of two veiled women being politely asked by staffers not to sit behind Barack Obama at a primary campaign event?

And who can forget the email campaigns "accusing" Obama of being a Muslim? Even journalists have used that verb. You can accuse someone of being a murderer or a liar, but a Muslim? When, in the mainstream lexicon, did being Arab or Muslim become a felony?

In a Huffington Post column, a headline asks "Is Muslim The New Queer?"

Some Arab-American groups are tired of their ethnic group being associated with radicalism and extremism and they are speaking out. I will be interviewing with James Zogby, head of the Arab-American Institute on Your World Today in a few hours about this story.

Hope you tune in.

and heres campbell brown [Smile]

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/13/campbell.brown.obama/index.html

Posts: 1967 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard the "bite" on tv where this woman was saying this to McCain.

The first thing that came to mind, was that this woman was a set-up (fed the statement beforehand)to give McCain a chance to look somewhat decent again with his reply.

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
huntchback
Member # 15883

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for huntchback     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wait for Obama to say the same things.
So what if he is Arab or Muslim. Why does it matter?

Posts: 173 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com