EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Politics » You WILL use those cards that allow the government to know every single thing you buy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: You WILL use those cards that allow the government to know every single thing you buy
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paying cash? That'll cost extra

Rhonda Payne went to an AT&T Wireless store in Calhoun, Ga., recently to pay her phone bill in cash. She'd been hit by ID theft and was forced to close her checking account, so she was worried she wouldn't be able to mail a check on time. But when she arrived at the store, she was in for a surprise.

Paying in person, she was told, costs extra -- $2 extra.

web page

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumman
Member # 14051

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grumman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stop those who go the identity theft route then there will be no need to pay $2 dollars extra.
Posts: 2118 | From: midwest, USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're all at it now. My phone company have informed me if I don't pay on line I'll be charged extra. Very unfair [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walkingathinline
Member # 11504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for walkingathinline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grumman f6f:
Stop those who go the identity theft route then there will be no need to pay $2 dollars extra.

huh? i would think that logging into your computer and having your info online would be much more susceptible to ID theft than paying your bill in person!!!
Posts: 422 | From: American living in Maadi, visiting in the States for awhile | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumman
Member # 14051

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grumman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The point is, walkingathinline, stop those who ID theft and there will be no need to have this topic. It doesn't matter how or where the ID theft occurs.

Do you ever wonder why your insurance rates may increase even though you've never had an accident or a house fire? While I will say insurance rates aren't ID theft but it is peripherally related in an economic sense, maybe even greed. Ain't no mystery here.

Now if you argue how can ID theft be stopped then I will agree it can't. That said, accept the two dollar fee because it is related in an economic sense.

Posts: 2118 | From: midwest, USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walkingathinline
Member # 11504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for walkingathinline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm not seeing the connection...the article states that AT&T's reason for this is because they don't want their representatives wasting time with already existing customers when they could be talking to prospective customers, helping them choose a plan...it sounds like another backhanded way for corporate america to steal more money from people!!!

quoted from the article:
"It is a way of saving money ... it helps us keep our costs lower," said AT&T spokesman Mark Siegel. "We want our associates to spend their time helping customers as they are thinking about their wireless plans or looking at phones."

There are multiple ways for consumers to pay their bills for free, he added -- in the mail, by electronic payment and on the Web. There are even kiosks in stores where bill payments can be dropped off for free. But having a sales clerk take the payment costs extra.

"If someone really wants to pay using the service of a representative, we think it's appropriate to assess this fee," Siegel said.

Posts: 422 | From: American living in Maadi, visiting in the States for awhile | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumman
Member # 14051

Rate Member
"If someone really wants to pay using the service of a representative, we think it's appropriate to assess this fee,"

Since Rhonda Payne had ID theft concerns she used a service that was probably set up because of theft, or at least spun into position via the explanation from above by AT&T. The young lady is not the catalyst for the AT&T shenanigans, ID theft is. It's an oblique way of using people's fears about this theft. AT&T won't tell you this and I have no way of verifying it myself but this sounds like it's tied in to ID theft although explained another way.

''...it sounds like another backhanded way for corporate america to steal more money from people!!!''

Sure it is.

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I kind of understand them wanting to save person to person customer care for new clients, but America is and was always about customer service. I'm telling you people, real paper money is going to be so useless one day...
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com