EgyptSearch Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Politics » Don't call us British, we're from England (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Don't call us British, we're from England
Tutandmoane
Member # 12060

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tutandmoane   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ayisha, I well understand the situation - my house in UK for 23 years in Wales, my children speak fluent welsh. Their preference is Welsh, then british. I read all that stuff cos interested in how such a small thing could attract so much response. As i have said before, I write books,so I like to analyse what makes people tick. I am human, so its not too weird for me to sometimes feel the need to respond is it? The last time I wrote a response here was probably november. I just generally read. I gave up responding after I realised that no matter how well put ones comment maybe, or how non judgemental, someone , somewhere, will always want to mis interpret it or insult the writer.
I just had the passport form to help my daughter fill it in. Being a british citizen, entitles you to a british passport, yes, but that is quite different from what I said it said on her form. It said "just because you were born in the uk does not mean you are entitled to british passport" I read it for myself. I suppose it refers to foreign nationals who are visiting uk and then happen to have a baby born during their visit, im not sure.

Posts: 319 | From: egypt/uk | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tutandmoane
Member # 12060

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tutandmoane   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK Mrs C. I give up. I will skulk away back into my closet for another couple of months. I was actually feeling you had been picked on a bit, and thought I was supporting you, obviouly that has been missed, or my support is not needed. sorry
Posts: 319 | From: egypt/uk | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tutandmoan:

You really seriously expect that you should have to defend such a stupid comment that because you were born in scotland you are not british???? When anyone with any level of political or geographical interlect knows great britain is made up of several principalities, including the largest of Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, together with england. You dont have to defend that when it is obvious, and you cant successfully defend it with some ignorant stupid people who are determined to wind you up.

We know that we dont need to defend it as it is a fact anyway but there are many people on here who are not related to UK and possibly wouldn't know that, not through lack of intelligence as has been shown here but by lack of knowledge, in our defence of our right to be called British we hope to have given that knowledge to them, we know after 5 pages it is unlikely that knowledge has yet sunk in to some other 'brits' here. As for winding us up, it hasn't achieved that although it has been very amusing [Big Grin]

"Scots go home and leave us Brits alone" is something a comedian would come out with in a nightclub, it's funny because the majority know that it's not right, but this was not said as a joke it was said seriously and that kind of racism should not be allowed to happen. What will it be next huh? Londoners saying Brummies should go home and leave us Brits alone? as it seems from some people's statements that only Londoners are seen as Brits, which is also where most foreigners think all English people come from, hence such a statement would be confusing to anyone that did NOT know London is IN England which is IN UK and that also Birmingham is IN England which is IN UK.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tutandmoane
Member # 12060

Rate Member
yeap, you are quite right. what next? Well, im off to that very british hot bed London! My daughter, Aminah, having baby any day, traditional at home, and I have to bring him or her out to our world [Eek!] [Eek!] In sha Allah it will be soon, for poor Aminah is about to burst!
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ayisha, I well understand the situation - my house in UK for 23 years in Wales, my children speak fluent welsh. Their preference is Welsh, then british. I read all that stuff cos interested in how such a small thing could attract so much response. As i have said before, I write books,so I like to analyse what makes people tick. I am human, so its not too weird for me to sometimes feel the need to respond is it? The last time I wrote a response here was probably november. I just generally read. I gave up responding after I realised that no matter how well put ones comment maybe, or how non judgemental, someone , somewhere, will always want to mis interpret it or insult the writer.
I just had the passport form to help my daughter fill it in. Being a british citizen, entitles you to a british passport, yes, but that is quite different from what I said it said on her form. It said "just because you were born in the uk does not mean you are entitled to british passport" I read it for myself. I suppose it refers to foreign nationals who are visiting uk and then happen to have a baby born during their visit, im not sure.

tut, thanks for this reply. It is nice to see a Welsh person (or mother of Welsh children if you are not Welsh yourself) agreeing also they are British, the Scots here tried to tell the ignorant and now back-up from Wales is great.

I understand you reluctance to post and have had the same myself, then I decided time to give as good as I get! On ANY thread here certain people will twist your words and bully and lie and all sorts of other things, did you know we even have a real stalker now?? [Big Grin] but this thread we have kept going as entertainment, each time ya ragal or one of her many incarnations posted more rubbish it was answered, mostly polite until it became not polite, then it became more astonishing that she still kept coming back and showing her ignorance, it was fun [Big Grin]

I think with the passport thing you're right, as there will be people here on visa for various things, or waiting nationization, who will have babies here. To my mind those babies should have a right to be British but i know that's not quite how it works.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsC
Member # 10808

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrsC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
OK Mrs C. I give up. I will skulk away back into my closet for another couple of months. I was actually feeling you had been picked on a bit, and thought I was supporting you, obviouly that has been missed, or my support is not needed. sorry

if ive misunderstood you, i apologise. i thought you were directing your comments at me (or SWYS and Ayish)... sorry.
Posts: 549 | From: charm el feikh? | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsC
Member # 10808

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrsC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
good luck with the baby.. are you a midwife?

em.. im tempted to ask what nationality the baby will be if its born in london!!!! (Joking)!

Posts: 549 | From: charm el feikh? | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
yeap, you are quite right. what next? Well, im off to that very british hot bed London! My daughter, Aminah, having baby any day, traditional at home, and I have to bring him or her out to our world [Eek!] [Eek!] In sha Allah it will be soon, for poor Aminah is about to burst!

Yayyyyyy Mabrook Granny tut [Big Grin] hope all goes well.
Tutandmoane
Member # 12060

Rate Member
thank you both, No problem ladies [Smile] historically, you will see my posts are never have a go types. I want friends not enemies. Like I said, I am peacemaker. Salaam. Thank you for understanding this. I look forward to speaking again, and now must go to get ready for new baby coming.
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...... When anyone with any level of political or geographical interlect knows great britain is made up of several principalities, including the largest of Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, together with england. You dont have to defend that when it is obvious, and you cant successfully defend it with some ignorant stupid people who are determined to wind you up. People from the joint principalities have the right to consider themselves Welsh,first, then British, Scottish first, then British, or simply just British...
Scottish, Welsh, Irish, English are historically all important participants in the success of a relatively free, safe, healthy United Kingdom and the wonderful mixes of fellow human beings from all other countries throughout the world now contribute to making UK a symbol of strength, wealth, interest, and toleration.

I especially agree with the last sentence here and hope that this matter will now be buried in the archives of ES. Salaam
Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tutandmoane
Member # 12060

Rate Member
Well, if my son, Musa and daughter I L had their way, it would be Saudi ! Im not mid wife, but I done it before 2 times for my other daughter, and my husband works every day in operating theatre, so we are both used to this sort of thing, and I would not miss doing it for anything. To know you are the first person the baby sees is great.
MrsC
Member # 10808

Rate Member
what will i do for entertainment now?!
MrsC
Member # 10808

Rate Member
btw... did i tell you that im moving to australia, and i might take up australian citizenship.

i'll miss being scottish! (hehe)

can i choose to be called a sheila?

Ya Ragal
Member # 11695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ya Ragal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ya ragal or one of her many incarnations

NOW what are you on about???? better SLAP that HRT patch on good and proper and get an ask for an increase in dosage, you need it big time.

Must be difficult for you old dears are you all pre-menopausal, menopausal, or post menopausal.

hot flushes and cold sweats oh well what else coan you expect at your time of life, why don't you try sleeping at night it might help the thought process.

incarnation yeah i'm a reincarnation of myself oh do pray tell how you came up with that thesis??? go on dear i'm all ears,

I've already been accused of being wotever (fancy that) and let me see didn't you accuse plunkett of being orchid.

hod nefous, rekiss, fucckar and then gimme an answer.

OH TO BE MENOPAUSAL & MIDDLE AGED.

WHAT CAN YOU DO TO ENTERTAIN YOURSELF MRS C??? HOW BOUT GOING TO YOUR OWN FORUM IF IT'S SO **** HOT!!! NAH THAT'S TOO EASY.

Posts: 377 | From: أنا نسيت | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Plunkett
Member # 3781

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Plunkett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry folks couldnt resist this after all the mudslinging here and pontificating and slanging matches and bullying and self serving clap.

It would seem that (maybe) everyone is correct but I feel that maybe those slinging the major insults should eat some humble pie.

Been on a course and had some interesting people point me in a few good directions, which highlights that:

" Elective Residents: Being 'at home' in England

Two groups of respondents presented themselves as essentially at home in England, and demonstrating a radical dissociation between self-labelling as Scottish and a sense of place attachment.

(a)Escapees. These were respondents who presented themselves as having fled across the Scotland-England border because of problems of fitting into society in Scotland. Amongst men, the impetus for flight was typically a breakdown in family relations (e.g. death of a parent) or a spoiled identity (e.g. an episode of mental illness, coming out as homosexual, acquiring a reputation as a troublemaker). Conversely, amongst women, push factors were usually described in terms of a desire to escape confining family relations (overprotective fathers, a network of kith and kin tightly monitoring their activity) or the generally oppressive aspects of a 'tight traditional community' (mentioning factors such as sectarianism, sexism etc.) These respondents continued to call themselves Scottish, and were happy to be Scottish, but saw this as a relatively insignificant aspect of their entire sense of self. self-labelling aside Ð remarkably similar to those of the indigenous English).

(b) Expatriots. These people regarded their Scottish identity as a core aspect of their sense of self, to which most other aspects of identity were to be subordinated. They identified strongly with Scotland as place, and with symbolic aspects of Scottish nationality, but distinguished themselves sharply from the extant population of Scotland. Characteristically Ð if stereotypically Ð these people saw themselves as 'more Scottish than the Scots'. They often expressed strong opinions concerning their exclusion from the devolution referendum, the rationale usually being that they knew what was best for Scotland better than, and had Scotlands genuine interests at heart more than, the current population."

According to many longer-term migrants' self-reports (which generally square quite well with our observations of people at the relevant stages of their migrant careers) this concern over the need to protect their Scottish identity from external threat was strongest for the first few years of residence. Thereafter, respondents were likely to become more 'mellow' as they came to realise that no-one was in fact likely to challenge their identity claims. Consequently, they slowly became 'less Scottish' (in the sense of being 'less obsessed about it'), although notably'NOT MORE~' English or British.

In addition, for many respondents, aspects of a Scottish mentality persisted notwithstanding several decades of fully socially integrated, residence in England. Sometimes these could be effectively combined with aspects of English mentality (often lending an inherently contradictory quality to respondents' accounts). On other occasions, however, aspects of a distinctively Scottish mindset appear not only to have been entirely preserved, but for the respondent to lack any discursive consciousness of this fact.

One example provides a link to the topic of our next section Ð the use of the (self) category British. However respondents' self concepts might change over the course of their time in England, there did not appear any evidence that they picked up a tendency to call themselves British. Respondents adopted a variety of different stances towards British identity.

These excerpts where taken from a 4yr study of in the UK- Any arguments? Don't direct them at me folks.

Will you accept these findings? I doubt it.

But it does actually go to show that people on opposite sides of an argument CAN both be correct! That is unless you really are totally arrogant.

What matters is perception, actual experience, ideas, thoughts, feelings, points of view and the right to freedom of speech. If you want to educate yourselves on the matter, go ahead. But please, do not bully others into accepting your opinion. We ALL have the right to differ, without resorting to ridicule, insults, slander etc with the weak defence of being "Witty".

It would seem that WOTEVER, Orchid and SAY WOTUSEE were all correct from THEIR own experiences, opinions etc.

Mrs C. on the question of Australia; you will find this particular piece of research extremely interesting because you forgot the Commonwealth question and the heritage question (oh and I am in contact with Australian Police Officers working in London) so I know what I am talking about. No doubt you will have so many witty remarks to make about this.

Abell, J. Representations of national geography and identity in England and in Scotland SPERI, Surrey, Feb. 2003

Abell, J.: Prejudice & Stereotyping: England's Football Hooligans. Stranmillis College, Belfast, Northern Ireland, 2003.

Abell, J.: Geographical Representations of 'this island' in Scotland and England. Nottingham Trent University, 2003.

Posts: 107 | From: London, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
''Everyone within the United Kingdom has a right to express their nationality as they choose, not as you choose'' SWYS TO WOTEVER, PAGE ONE, VERY EARLY ON, THIS DEBATE.

Which part of the above, clear statement made by me, didn't you get, Plunkett?

Have you not read the countless assertions by Ayisha, Mrs C and myself that affirm the above point? Why are you, Orchid, Wotever and Ya Ragal so determined to make the same, irrelevant point, over and over again - that no one is disputing? [Confused] You are banging your head against a wall that no one has erected. I suggest you go back and read the countless times that it has been stated that people can call themselves what they like but those living in Britain are still British !

Tutandmoan made this point well, as did Ayisha and Mrs C.

''...... When anyone with any level of political or geographical interlect knows great britain is made up of several principalities, including the largest of Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, together with england. You dont have to defend that when it is obvious, and you cant successfully defend it with some ignorant stupid people who are determined to wind you up. People from the joint principalities have the right to consider themselves Welsh,first, then British, Scottish first, then British, or simply just British...''

She is entirely right that what is obvious can't be defended, with some stupid and ignorant people. I can only conclude that you, Wotever, Ya Ragal and Orchid (who all sound identical, arguing in the same illogical, disrespectful, hate-filled way) are deliberately being provocatively stupid.

Oh, btw, I see Wotever has returned to ES, after her short, ''GONE FORVER F U C K U ALL '' exit. [Roll Eyes] It seems like she has never been away! Perhaps the Queen of cut and paste can now answer Mrs C's 'Defend ''Us Brits'' question? Wotever doesn't get ' gone forever ' any more than she gets that the Scots and Welsh are British (yes, regardless of how they like or prefer to identify themselves.) [Razz]

I noticed you never got back to me on why the Midlothian Question didn't apply to Independence, Plunkett. I guessed you were embarrassed that you made such a huge, laughable gaffe. I overestimated you.
[Roll Eyes]

PS: Must the Scots and Welsh present their British passports to prove this point?

Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Screw you
Member # 11942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Screw you         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been sick and decided that I wasn't going to let the licks of you bully me

wots wrong with cutting and pasting??? tiger lilly does it as does cats in the craddle and ya ragal.

this is a public forum, please don't attack me you will not get me to answer anything else wheather you demand it or not

--------------------
Learn from the past.
Live in the present.
Hope for the future.

Posts: 1474 | From: in my own paradise | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
I wasn't bullying you, Wotever. You were the one that made offensive remarks about the Scottish and Welsh, not me. I was polite to you, at first BUT YOU JUST WANTED TO SHOUT OVER ME, AGAIN AND AGAIN.

I hope you are feeling better, Wotever and I'm glad you have returned. [Smile]

Plunkett
Member # 3781

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Plunkett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Gosh what an absolute self serving load of twaddle. Come up with an argument that is written against what you say & you shoot it down. Why cant you get overyourself and your SELF inflated ego? Yes you can SELF style yourself BRITISH Whatever YOU CHOOSE. Historically, speaking, HISTORICALLY I SAY, it need not be correct. Then again, YOU will be correct whatever you say. I was actually, trying to make some pragmatic approach to bringing peace her. However, you have been true to type and attacked those that fail to agree AGAIN.

Did you and your cronies know that you are becoming famous, or is that infamous?

Would you like me to cut and paste some more academic statistics to illustrate how YOU CAN BE wrong?

Nope. Dont believe that I will. I think that you have proved a point, again. You enjoy what you do, so you go girl/boy

Ha Ha HA lay with dogs catch fleas I say. Best be careful Mrs C. Mind you its also said that a dog always returns to the site of its original vomit! Ergo you will reiterate your claptrap no matter how many academics line up against you. After all, you wouldnt be SELF (get it) serving would you.

Oh such wit and humour here (not).

Posts: 107 | From: London, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Plunkett
Member # 3781

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by SayWhatYouSee:
I wasn't bullying you, Wotever. You were the one that made offensive remarks about the Scottish and Welsh, not me. I was polite to you, at first BUT YOU JUST WANTED TO SHOUT OVER ME, AGAIN AND AGAIN.

Your remarks were equally offensive to WOTEVER. Two wrongs make a right? You started ner ner ner ner ner!

Still nice to see the human side asking how she/he is !

[Razz] [Razz] [Razz] [Razz]

SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Plunkett:
Oh Gosh what an absolute self serving load of twaddle. Come up with an argument that is written against what you say & you shoot it down. Why cant you get overyourself and your SELF inflated ego? Yes you can SELF style yourself BRITISH Whatever YOU CHOOSE. Historically, speaking, HISTORICALLY I SAY, it need not be correct. Then again, YOU will be correct whatever you say. I was actually, trying to make some pragmatic approach to bringing peace her. However, you have been true to type and attacked those that fail to agree AGAIN.

Did you and your cronies know that you are becoming famous, or is that infamous?

Would you like me to cut and paste some more academic statistics to illustrate how YOU CAN BE wrong?

Nope. Dont believe that I will. I think that you have proved a point, again. You enjoy what you do, so you go girl/boy

Ha Ha HA lay with dogs catch fleas I say. Best be careful Mrs C. Mind you its also said that a dog always returns to the site of its original vomit! Ergo you will reiterate your claptrap no matter how many academics line up against you. After all, you wouldnt be SELF (get it) serving would you.

I am going to try and take the advice given above, regarding arguing with the stupid and ignorant. You have proven that you are both, Plunkett. You are also a poor loser, blindly prejudiced and just plain old vile. You were boring and wrong, pages ago, You remain boring, wrong and repetitive. I haven't seen much evidence of people showing a human side to those insulted and offended by the bigots on this thread. Buy hey, it was never even expected! I suggest that you should remove your big foot from your enormous mouth, before trying to make anything better. You are an embarrassment, yet have no shame. [Embarrassed] All you continue to prove is that you are stupid, misguided and wrong, wrong, wrong.

Let's just leave the Midlothian Question, you have been swinging on it [Smile] for pages. I don't want to tire your limited thought process any further. [Roll Eyes]

MrsC
Member # 10808

Rate Member
quote:
It would seem that WOTEVER, Orchid and SAY WOTUSEE were all correct from THEIR own experiences, opinions etc.

Mrs C. on the question of Australia; you will find this particular piece of research extremely interesting because you forgot the Commonwealth question and the heritage question (oh and I am in contact with Australian Police Officers working in London) so I know what I am talking about. No doubt you will have so many witty remarks to make about this.

Huh? about what exactly? you make me laugh! the others are correct, yet i have been saying the same thing as SWYS and Ayisha, yet im not correct?! and what on earth are you talking about what ive forgot about australia???
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

Your remarks were equally offensive to WOTEVER. Two wrongs make a right? You started ner ner ner ner ner!

Still nice to see the human side asking how she/he is !

[Razz] [Razz] [Razz] [Razz]

Wotever started it by saying that the Welsh and Scottish weren't British. Glad you have finally admitted that was wrong! Case closed . [Big Grin]
Screw you
Member # 11942

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Screw you         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Aww thank you for asking [Wink] have been better thou thank you again [Smile]
gotta go dins dins [Big Grin]

Posts: 1474 | From: in my own paradise | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Am I bovvered(WOTEVER):
quote:

Enjoy! [Big Grin]
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow do you know how many of oldies decided to return this is a must to download and frame ..keep it up im enjoying just reading it .... [Wink]
Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsC
Member # 10808

Rate Member
quote:

WTF? what on earth does this mean???

how many academics are lining up against me???!!!

show me one.. just ONE academic that would tell me that scotland is not part of britain!!!!

no... wait... as my husband just said...

show me ONE *academic* that would waste their time answering this dumb ass question!!!!!

daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I had no clue this was such a sensitive subject.

Typical limeys.

[Razz]

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsC
Member # 10808

Rate Member
clue up snooze!!
Plunkett
Member # 3781

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Mrs C:
quote:

Huh? about what exactly? you make me laugh! the others are correct, yet i have been saying the same thing as SWYS and Ayisha, yet im not correct?! and what on earth are you talking about what ive forgot about australia???
I shall give you an abc:

a) Go back & read your post
b) Reread mine
c) Reread what you have just written

NB Then answer your a)

Plunkett
Member # 3781

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

I am going to try and take the advice given above, regarding arguing with the stupid and ignorant. You have proven that you are both, Plunkett. You are also a poor loser, blindly prejudiced and just plain old vile. You were boring and wrong, pages ago, You remain boring, wrong and repetitive. I haven't seen much evidence of people showing a human side to those insulted and offended by the bigots on this thread. Buy hey, it was never even expected! I suggest that you should remove your big foot from your enormous mouth, before trying to make anything better. You are an embarrassment, yet have no shame. [Embarrassed] All you continue to prove is that you are stupid, misguided and wrong, wrong, wrong.

Let's just leave the Midlothian Question, you have been swinging on it [Smile] for pages. I don't want to tire your limited thought process any further. [Roll Eyes]

More insults? Better & better. Go for it Girl/Boy are you clever? Funny? Oh you must be LOL

Oh You bitch/swine I'm weeping at such hurtful words. Ouch that hurt. No. I mena really hurt. Like I care what you say? Oh wait while I wipae away a tear or two (splitting my sides with laughter that is) Bitch Bitch Bitch Bitch Bitch Bitch Bitch Bitch [Razz] [Razz] [Razz]

Plunkett
Member # 3781

Rate Member
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ayisha:

"Scots go home and leave us Brits alone" is something a comedian would come out with in a nightclub, it's funny because the majority know that it's not right, but this was not said as a joke it was said seriously and that kind of racism should not be allowed to happen.

I'm amused that you did not find the term "Paki" as being racist, when most of the organisations in the UK would regard this as highly offensive and racist !

Plunkett
Member # 3781

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
ever hear a scot aying he was british? or a welsh???

no they say the are welsh, scottish, irish i ain't english i don't have 7 generations bron here which i wot makes you english!!!

in the commenwealth games they have great britian and nothern ireland

What an extrodinary level of ignorance! Incredible. Wotever, let me put this as plainly as possible. You are talking nonsense. Your comments are not only inaccurate, they are offensive.
I think that you failed to grasp the main thrust of this and the exercpt of the article that I have subsequently posted. Quite simply, WOTEVER referred to a point, which the article refers to as "Self styled". [Cool]
I have been accused of going on for pages?? How many pages?

Alchemist
Member # 12318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alchemist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you all really still fighting about this? I mean that is like me saying I am Virginian, and not American. I am both, duh, and Irish! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1879 | From: Going to Graceland | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsC
Member # 10808

Rate Member
quote:
so do i have the right to say that all pakies should go home and leave us brits alone?

MrsC
Member # 10808

Rate Member
quote:
I'm amused that you did not find the term "Paki" as being racist, when most of the organisations in the UK would regard this as highly offensive and racist !

just thought i'd quote myself in the above post so i could point out how i was showing that it *is* on offensive term!!!!

glad you found it offensive! shows you how we feel about being excluded from "us brits"!!!!!

BTW... most of the *organisations* in the UK would regard SCOTCH as highly offensive... but that doesnt bother you does it???!!!

SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
''In modern usage in Scotland, "Scotch" is never used, other than as described in the following paragraph for a short list of articles; it has gathered patronising and faintly offensive connotations, and a non-Scot who uses the word in conversation with Scots as a description of them may find this a good test of their courtesy . The use of "Scots" and "Scottish" is not altogether consistent; but in many words and phrases one or the other is normally used: there is a certain tendency for "Scottish" to be used in more formal contexts.''

In modern current English usage the general term for things from or pertaining to Scotland is Scottish. Scots is used for the Scots language and Scots law, although one increasingly hears it used of people and organisations, especially in newspaper articles. Scotch remains in use only for phrases like Scotch broth, Scotch beef, Scotch egg, etc. One cynical joke is that Scotch can only be used for things which can be bought, such as whisky, eggs and politicians. Scotch terrier was once one of these legacy uses, but has increasingly been replaced with Scottish terrier.

org/wiki/Scotch

I am posting the above, as it reflects a commonly held view and illustrates Mrs C's point. Mrs C was making a satirical reference to racism. By replacing Scottish or Welsh with the word Paki, she was criticising racist views. This is abundantly clear to anyone with more than one brain cell.

Plunkett
Member # 3781

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

just thought i'd quote myself in the above post so i could point out how i was showing that it *is* on offensive term!!!!

- No I must having being having a (how do you and SWUS term it a Thick moment)

glad you found it offensive! shows you how we feel about being excluded from "us brits"!!!!!

BTW... most of the *organisations* in the UK would regard SCOTCH as highly offensive... but that doesnt bother you does it???!!!

Now that really is a new one on me ! I know that Scots feel that way but I dont believe that the CRE or MPS or HOP or MOD have thatin their diversity policies
Plunkett
Member # 3781

Rate Member
quote:
''

replacing Scottish or Welsh with the word Paki, she was criticising racist views. This is abundantly clear to anyone with more than one brain cell.

Well cant quite say that I have anything other than half a brain cell especially as I do not remember banging on for PAGES so I guess YOU MUST be right
Plunkett
Member # 3781

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Alchemist:
Are you all really still fighting about this? I mean that is like me saying I am Virginian, and not American. I am both, duh, and Irish! [Big Grin]

Not fighting simply having some fun. I mean it really is a moot point but I'm doing an article about individuals who resort to vociferating torrents of vituperous abuse on their fellow human beings.
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
[Roll Eyes] You started on page three and you are still here on page six, banging away, with the exact same babble that was thrown out ages ago. [Roll Eyes]
MrsC
Member # 10808

Rate Member
quote:

- No I must having being having a (how do you and SWUS term it a Thick moment)

Now that really is a new one on me ! I know that Scots feel that way but

1. point out where *I* have used that term!!! i beg you!!!

2. glad you know the scotts feel that way!!!! i only ever said it was offensive to the scotts... thanks for agreeing with me!!!!!!

Plunkett
Member # 3781

Rate Member
quote:
[Roll Eyes] You started on page three and you are still here on page six, banging away, with the exact same babble that was thrown out ages ago. [Roll Eyes]

Nice one but you should have read my last post -first.

Thankyou for the scenario!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its been fun
[Big Grin] [Razz] [Razz] [Razz] [Razz] [Cool]

WOT-PM

SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
I did read it. Some of us can read quickly, without tracing the screen with our index finger. [Roll Eyes] You can't see how funny this thread has become, as we laugh at you and your identikit posters. [Smile]
Plunkett
Member # 3781

Rate Member
quote:
I did read it. Some of us can read quickly, without tracing the screen with our index finger. [Roll Eyes] You can't see how funny this thread has become, as we laugh at you and your identikit posters. [Smile]

HA HA HA HA HA HA -Been banned from anywhere lately? Howz about Mrs C?

Not quite sure exactly what it is that you are referring to (well half a brain cell) but guess you L O S E- after all you were playing a game. ? Weren't you?
[Razz] [Razz] [Razz] [Razz] [Razz]

SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Have you been drinking, Plunkett? Have you forgotten to take your medication? I have not a clue what you are ranting about but that is quite normal Continue. Eventually you will wear yourself out or your keepers will find and restrain you. [Eek!]
MrsC
Member # 10808

Rate Member
quote:
HA HA HA HA HA HA -Been banned from anywhere lately? Howz about Mrs C?

Not quite sure exactly what it is that you are referring to (well half a brain cell) but guess you L O S E- after all you were playing a game. ? Weren't you?
[Razz] [Razz] [Razz] [Razz] [Razz]

W...T...F????

HUH???

O,Kkaaaayyyy

:/

Screw you
Member # 11942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Screw you         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Enjoy! [Big Grin]
Thank Q, I did, had chinese watched desperate housewives (shed a tear), scrubs and slept. [Big Grin]

Thanks for the PM P let me know the outcome.

Ya Ragal
Member # 11695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ya Ragal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alchemist:

OH 'COR F.M

So you're not an irish american that lives in virigina??? [Roll Eyes]

where did I leave that labotomy set????

Posts: 377 | From: أنا نسيت | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com