EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Politics » Sarkozy called Israeli PM Netanyahu 'liar'

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sarkozy called Israeli PM Netanyahu 'liar'
vwwvv
Member # 18359

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vwwvv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
8 November 2011 Last updated at 11:03 GMT

Sarkozy called Israeli PM Netanyahu 'liar'

French President Nicolas Sarkozy called Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu a "liar" in remarks to US President Barack Obama overheard by journalists.

"I can't stand him any more, he's a liar," Mr Sarkozy said in French.

"You may be sick of him, but me, I have to deal with him every day," Mr Obama replied.

The exchange at the G20 summit was quoted by a French website, Arret sur Images, and confirmed by other media.

The remarks - during a private conversation - were overheard by a few journalists last week but were not initially reported, the BBC's Christian Fraser in Paris says.

Journalists at the bilateral press conference had been handed translation boxes but had been told not to plug in their headphones until the backroom conversation had finished. But those who did heard the revealing comments.

For several days there was media silence in France about the exchange - a decision had been taken not to embarrass the French president, our correspondent says.

A correspondent for Le Monde newspaper referred to the conversation without the quotes.

But Israeli newspapers have reported it in full.

It is said Mr Obama was taking Mr Sarkozy to task for voting in favour of the Palestinian bid for full membership of the UN cultural organisation, Unesco, a bid that was approved despite American opposition.

The remarks indicate a breakdown of trust with the Israeli leader which could have wider implications for the Middle East peace process, our correspondent says.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15635476

Posts: 1365 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's interesting that Republican figures haven't yet come out and used this occasion as a further reinforcement of their charges that Obama "has thrown Israel under the bus" and that he is threatening to weaken the long unwavering US-Israeli symbiotic relationship. I guess it's time to stay tuned. [Smile]

--------------------
The Complete Picture of the Past tells Us what Not to Repeat

Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by vwwvv:

"I can't stand him any more, he's a liar," Mr Sarkozy said in French.

The irony is that these words can also fittingly be used in describing Sarkozy himself. It's actually comical of him to have this false sense of moral and character superiority over the guy he is describing.
Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmyFoy
Member # 19828

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AmyFoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Post contain useful information. Is it really a myth?

Apple repairs

Posts: 1 | From: 216 E 6th St, Oil City, PA 16301 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Explorer
quote:
It's interesting that Republican figures haven't yet come out and used this occasion as a further reinforcement of their charges that Obama "has thrown Israel under the bus" and that he is threatening to weaken the long unwavering US-Israeli symbiotic relationship. I guess it's time to stay tuned.
Oh but they did

Sen. John McCain is taking President Obama and French President Nicolas Sarkozy to task for negative comments the two made about Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu that were caught on a "hot mic" during the G-20 summit last week.

The Arizona Republican said an exchange between Mr. Obama and Mr. Sarkozy is "indicative of the attitude and policies that this administration has had toward Israel."

"I happen to be a great admirer of Prime Minister Netanyahu," Mr. McCain said on "Fox and Friends." "I've known him for years, and Israel is under more pressure and probably in more danger than they've been since the '67 war and that kind of comment is not only not helpful, but indicative of some of the policies towards Israel that this administration has been part of."

McCain was referring to reports, first in the French media but later carried by BBC and Reuters, that reporters covering the G-20 summit overheard a brief conversation between Mr. Obama and Mr.
Sarkozy about Mr. Netanyahu.

Mr. Obama reportedly chided Mr. Sarkozy for failing to warn him that France would vote in favor of Palestinian membership in the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, an agency of the U.N. Then Mr. Sarkozy brought up Mr. Netanyahu, saying "I don't want to see him anymore — he's a liar." Mr. Obama responded: "You've had enough of him, but I have to deal with him every day!"

Mr. Obama then asked Mr. Sarkozy to try to persuade Palestinians to slow down their attempt to become a full-fledged member of the United Nations, according to the reports.

When asked about the exchange Tuesday, White House spokesman Jay Carney refused to comment directly, saying that it is "well-known" that the U.S. and France disagree on the approach to admitting the Palestinians as full members of the U.N.

"The president's position, very firm position, has been that efforts to achieve U.N. membership or membership in U.N. agencies by the Palestinians were premature and counterproductive to the ultimate goal here, which is a negotiated peace between the two parties," he said.

Mr. McCain, the top Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee, said the "French have always been like that" towards Israel, but said that doesn't excuse Mr. Obama making such off-handed comments towards one of the U.S.'s strongest allies.

The senator said not even Mr. Obama's most ardent supporter could "view the Israeli-Palestinian issue and peace in the region as anything but a total failure as part of this ... administration."
http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/inside-politics/2011/nov/8/mccain-slams-obama-netanyahu-criticism/

Hell they slammed him over what daughters school had for a frikkin lunch menu.. [Big Grin]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DXvYZTj-FM&list=UU1yBKRuGpC1tSM73A0ZjYjQ&feature=plcp
I swear they would blame for bad weather..smh. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com