Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Haresa......

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Haresa......
magnona777
Member # 12466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for magnona777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have the recipe??? I think that is what I ate - warm and sweet [Smile] .. and it was sooooooooo good
Posts: 431 | From: beantown | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
magnona777
Member # 12466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for magnona777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I google it and found Nothing... Maybe my H gave me the wrong name.. I was in a round pan and Kept in hot water so it was served warm.. It was very sweet and grainy - like made out of wheat. It was cut into a retangle and wrapped in a paper
Posts: 431 | From: beantown | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
magnona777
Member # 12466

Rate Member
haha.. ok I found it online
http://www.recipezaar.com/201134
http://ayalasmellyblog.blogspot.com/2006/06/hiris-and-harissa.html

I brought home these perfect pans to cook this is.. If anyone has any other home recipe let me know [Smile]

Barnacle Bill
Member # 12656

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barnacle Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harissa Paste

Harissa is a common ingredient in North African recipes. Didn't see a recipe for it here so I'm sharing one I found somewhere.

2 ounces mildly hot dried chilies (eg Guajillo)
2 ounces mild dried chilies (eg Anaheim)
5 cloves garlic, peeled
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground caraway seeds
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground coriander seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
extra virgin olive oil, for topping off

Soak the dried chillis in tepid water to cover until softened, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Drain and remove the stems and seeds.
Place in a blender or food processor with the garlic, water, and olive oil and process until smooth, stopping occasionally to scrape down the sides.
Transfer the mixture to a small bowl and stir in the caraway, coriander, and salt.
Store in a jar and top off, covering the surface of the paste with a layer of olive oil.
Whenever the paste is used you must always top off with olive oil making sure no paste is exposed to air otherwise it will spoil.
Variation: To make a hot harisa, use 4 ounces dried guajillo chillis and 1/ 2 ounce dried de Arbol chillis.
Note: To make salsa al-harisa, that is, harisa sauce, used as an accompaniment to grilled meats, stir together 2 teaspoons harisa, 3 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons water and 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves.

Posts: 586 | From: Styx | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com