Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » What is this vegetable?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is this vegetable?
Exiled
Member # 14410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought this last night. I thought it was Bok Choy but it's not. Does anyone know what it is? What recipes is this veggie used in?

-

Posts: 2418 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is called VENKELKNOL [Smile] in my language.

I will look up the English word for you, wait...

fennel root [Smile]

I use it in soup, you loose weight if you add it in soups... [Smile] [Wink]

Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1299155868000103370nDDBmb

Check the link [Smile] .
Is this the vegetable you are talking about??

Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fennel, رازیانه.
We use it for making tea, when babies are having pain in their belly.
But there are several things what you can do with it, gratinate with cheese, make a risotto with mushrooms and fennel,etc. It suits with fish, Italian food, soup...

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you very much Ms.113.8 pounds - you hottie you [Razz]
Posts: 2418 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Lol

One cup of it contains 20 % of our daily needed vitamin C.

Just google for recipes, there are a lot but I personally don't like these recipes.

I'll post the ingredients of my magic soup, I have to translate them first... and I am a bit lazy today, so if I don't know the English word, I'll just skip this ingredient. [Big Grin] LOL

Soup with pecorino and basilicum

A bit of basilicum
50 ml olive oil
half of a white cabbage
250 g of carrots
250 g of cellary
1 FENNEL ROOT
pepper
800 ml of stock (?)/ broth (?) from vegetables
juice from 1 lemon (don't add all of it, just a lil bit)
20 g of pecorino

First wash the basilicum, take off the leaves and put them together with the olive oil. Put it in the fridge for 10 minutes and mix it.

Cut all vegetables and fry them in 1 spoon of olive oil.

Add the 800 ml of vegetable-stock (?)

Let it cook for 15 or 20 minutes. Mix it if you want to.

Add the lemon juice and some pepper.

(Just before you drink or eat the soup, add the grated pecorino.)

Add the basilicum oil and serve with some pecorino.

Bon appetit [Smile] .

Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's "Fenchel" in German. About the only vegetable I don't really like.
Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have seen Emeril Lagasse and Martha Stewart use it a lot in recipes.
Don't know why - but think that I remember that it has a licorice taste to it - but don't depend heavily on my little pea brain.. [Smile]

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ?????:
Fennel, رازیانه.

But the tea is made of the fennel seeds, not the vegetable.
Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

quote:
Originally posted by jean_bean:
I have seen Emeril Lagasse and Martha Stewart use it a lot in recipes.
Don't know why - but think that I remember that it has a licorice taste to it - but don't depend heavily on my little pea brain.. [Smile]

It is definitely peculiar compared to typical edible leafy vegetables. It does have licorice taste and i also noticed it has a minty/jasmine taste to it.
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia*:
quote:
Originally posted by ?????:
Fennel, رازیانه.

But the tea is made of the fennel seeds, not the vegetable.
Didn't know, never used it.My neighbour who was quite an 'alternative' type, once told me about it.Think she used homeopathic grains.
Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

I'm an *alternative* type, too. [Big Grin] I am fascinated by herbs and spices.

Fennel seeds are quite widespread, you can buy them in tea or spice stores. They taste similar to anise and are often combined with it for tea etc. It's not only good for babies but can also help grownups who are suffering from digestion problems, flatulence etc. [Smile]

Fennel contains anethole, and this, or its polymers, act as phytoestrogens. This can explain some of fennel's action.

Essential oil of sweet Fennel is included in some pharmacopoeias. It is traditionally used in medicine to treat chills and stomach problems (carminative, antimicrobal action and so on). In fact, making a strong tea with Fennel seeds is very effective in relieving bloating and gas.

Fennel leaves can be boiled, the steam inhaled to relieve croup, asthma, and bronchitis.

Fennel contains Anethole, an antispasmatic, alongside other pharmacologically active substances.

Fennel essential oil is used in soaps, and some perfumes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fennel

Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
A lot of pharmaceutical produced medicines are also based on natural ingredients. I think many people make the mistake to think that a natural product can't damage or harm somebody with illnesses. It isn't. Besides that I'm having problems that a patient can use alternative therapy instead as visit a doctor or a hospital. When they finally do, it can be to late.
I'm having nothing against homeopathic therapy, as long as it's controlled by somebody who has his doctors degree and knows where he is talking about.

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cocaine is natural.
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
I can imagine a lot natural that can be bad for our health... [Big Grin]
Exiled
Member # 14410

Well i'm going to throw it away - i just don't have a good feeling about and especially not after reading what other members said about.

I just seems like it's useless i mean you can't even eat it plain like celery.

I'm not the type of person who throws food away. But if i attempt to make something using it and it turns out awful then that will mean even more food to throw away.

Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Throw it away????? [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

why don't you make the soup?? You don't like the ingredients?? It is sooo yummy...
Anyway; I'll give you my address, please send it by DHL.
[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Dalia*
Member # 10593

quote:
Originally posted by Exiled:

Yes, you can. You can finely chop it and put it into salads.
My mother used to served it from the oven with some melted cheese on top, that's easy, fast and tasty.

Exiled
Member # 14410

quote:
quote:

Yes, you can. You can finely chop it and put it into salads.
My mother used to served it from the oven with some melted cheese on top, that's easy, fast and tasty.

Alright, I’ll try that. So I should chop finely the stems and throw away the base – the white thick area at the bottom?
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it is great just use the bulb.not the greens.fry it up in some oil and butter, shALLOTS AND GARLIC and fresh thyme,saute it till its still firm . use it as a side dish . excellent
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

quote:
So I should chop finely the stems and throw away the base – the white thick area at the bottom?

No, that's what you should use!

Not sure exactly how my mother does it, but if I had a guess at the recipe, I would say you cut the bulb in half, put it into an oven proof dish, pour some broth over it (chicken or veggie or whatever you have around), chop the rest (the stems + greens) and put them around the bulb. Maybe add a bit of butter or olive oil for taste.

Add some garlic and put as much cheese as you like on top (aged gouda or roumi or Emmental, or a mixture of parmesan and some other cheese ... )

Bake for 20 minutes or so, serve with freshly ground black pepper.

Just be creative, [Big Grin] you can do all sorts of things with it. I think fennel also goes well with all Mediterranean herbs and spices.

-

Exiled
Member # 14410

quote:
Originally posted by MICKY A:
it is great just use the bulb.not the greens.fry it up in some oil and butter, shALLOTS AND GARLIC and fresh thyme,saute it till its still firm . use it as a side dish . excellent

Oh you still around? I thought you put your head in the ground like an ostrich for being ashamed on the account that your student is unable to procure a duck [Big Grin]

So teach- how about Chicken Grecian this Thursday evening – how that sound ?

I'll share something with you guys - i had a sheik teaching me Tajweed - and this guy was real old but with masha allah a Hossary like voice - anyway after a while and i do mean several months later and when i used to mess up - he used to pinch my hand *real hard* [Big Grin] at the point i messed up [Big Grin]

An old man pinching a grown man for messing up. Looking back it's funny, although it was annoying at the time.

Exiled
Member # 14410

quote:
quote:
So I should chop finely the stems and throw away the base – the white thick area at the bottom?

No, that's what you should use!

Not sure exactly how my mother does it, but if I had a guess at the recipe, I would say you cut the bulb in half, put it into an oven proof dish, pour some broth over it (chicken or veggie or whatever you have around), chop the rest (the stems + greens) and put them around the bulb. Maybe add a bit of butter or olive oil for taste.

Add some garlic and put as much cheese as you like on top (aged gouda or roumi or Emmental, or a mixture of parmesan and some other cheese ... )

Bake for 20 minutes or so, serve with freshly ground black pepper.

Just be creative, [Big Grin] you can do all sorts of things with it. I think fennel also goes well with all Mediterranean herbs and spices.

-

That dish looks delicious - i'll make something with with this vegetable and i will get creative [Smile]

Just keep in mind my cooking ability when it comes to veggies isn't advanced at all. Better late than never.

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MICKY A:

Oh you still around? I thought you put your head in the ground like an ostrich for being ashamed on the account that your student is unable to procure a duck [Big Grin]

So teach- how about Chicken Grecian this Thursday evening – how that sound ?

I'll share something with you guys - i had a sheik teaching me Tajweed - and this guy was real old but with masha allah a Hossary like voice - anyway after a while and i do mean several months later and when i used to mess up - he used to pinch my hand *real hard* [Big Grin] at the point i messed up [Big Grin]

An old man pinching a grown man for messing up. Looking back it's funny, although it was annoying at the time.

haha A i told you before if you cant find the duck try it with the chicken .it will also be very good. and use your fennel as a side dish [Razz]
thursday it is although i will be working but will look forward to seeing if you like the recipe

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I bought this last night. I thought it was Bok Choy but it's not. Does anyone know what it is? What recipes is this veggie used in?

-

looks like a celery stalk
Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
its fennel.we use it alot at work . just the bulb. and save the greens for garish [Big Grin]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com