Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » This is Turkish McDo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: This is Turkish McDo
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 10 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really would like to post some Turkish recipes but I am too lazy on that [Smile]

Turkish cuisine is in top 3 with French and Chinese ones on world list but unfortunately we cannot promote it well [Frown]

We have lots of similarities with Egyptian Cuisine as having a common history.
It is always nice to hear that lots of Egyptian foods have Turkish names [Smile]

Now I would like to inform you a Turkish Fast Food chain which started to operate in Europe.
We have a national kebab called 'doner' which means 'turning' in Turkish.

I think last year it was number 1 in Germany before hamburger.
Our only problem is that the Greek people advertise it as 'Greek Sandvich' in Europe [Smile]
They also say baklawa is Greek not Turkish, this is really funny [Big Grin]

So here is Turkish MC Donald's [Smile]

http://www.okebap.com

Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnBev08
Member # 14964

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont know much about Turkish food, you can always post a couple of recipes please!

--------------------
free palestine

Posts: 346 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi DawnBew, okey I will try [Smile]

I don't know in which part of UK you live but there s a Turkish restaurant chain called Sofra in London. I highly recommend it as the foods are really delicious.

www.sofra.co.uk

Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okey here is one [Smile]

Spinach In Puff Pastry (Ispanakli Börek)

Ingredients

600 grams of fresh spinach
8 small sheets of puff pastry
1 medium onion
5 tablespoons of olive oil
1 teaspoon of salt
½ teaspoon of pepper
2 eggs
5 tablespoons of margarine
1¼ glass of milk
Recipe Info
Category: Pastries
Rating: 0
Print Recipe

Directions

Preheat the oven to approx. 150º C.
Wash the spinach. Peel the onion and cut it into small pieces. Fry the chopped onion in two tablespoons of olive oil, put the lid on the pan and leave the onion to simmer for 4 to 5 minutes on a low heat until golden brown. Cut the spinach into 1 cm pieces and add them to the onion. Remove the pan from the heat and add salt and pepper to taste. Leave the spinach mix to cool off a little, then mix one egg in it and stir well. Use a baking sheet of 30 cm diameter (approximately) and grease it well with one tablespoon of olive oil. Melt the margarine in a different pan, add the milk and the remaining olive oil, mix an egg through the lukewarm mixture and stir well. Dip four small sheets of puff pastry through the milk mixture and place them on the baking sheet. Add the spinach filling and cover it with the four remaining sheets of puff pastry (that have been dipped into the milk mixture as well). Close by repeatedly pressing the edges with a fork. Bake everything for approx. 30 minutes in the preheated oven until golden brown. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and pour a spoonful of water over the dish. Cover the baking sheet and wait for 20 minutes before serving.

-

DawnBev08
Member # 14964

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmmmm ........... yummy, going to try this, I love spinach.

I'm in the north of england, no turkish restaurants near me, I'm quite rural, so hardly anything, but as I used to work in the Middle East I'm very fond of Lebanese and Greek food.

In fact, my hairdressers' daughter has just married a Turkish man she met on holiday, so perhaps he could open up a restaurant here!

any receipe with aubergines gratefully received - THANK YOU!!!

Dawn

--------------------
free palestine

Posts: 346 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Okey, following is one of the most famous ones [Smile]

Imam Bayildi (means The Imam Fainted [Big Grin] )
Imam bayildi is an eggplant slashed down the middle and stuffed with onions, garlic, and tomatoes and then simmered in olive oil to cover. There are several apocryphal stories about the origins of the dish. The imam (Muslim prayer leader) fainted or swooned when he tasted how good it was; that the imam fainted when he saw how much expensive olive oil was used; that the imam was delighted when a shopkeeper's wife was required to quickly prepare a dish for the imam's unexpected visit. A Turkish proverb casts light on another interpretation: Imam evinden ash, olu gozunden yash cikmaz (No food is likely to come out of the imam's house and no tears from a corpse). Perhapsthe meaning is that the stingy imam, when presented with a dish so generous, certainly was delighted, or fainted from delight.

4 small eggplant (about 1 1/ 2 pounds)
10 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 medium-size onions, cut lengthwise and thinly sliced
6 large garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 pound ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsely leaves
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup water
Salt

1. Peel off strips of the eggplant skin at 1-inch intervals to make a stripped effect. Cut off the stem portion, then cut each eggplant in half lengthwise. Make a deep lengthwise slit along the flesh side of the eggplant, making sure you don't puncture the skin. Cut a very small portion of the skin side of the eggplant to make a flat section so the eggplant can sit correctly in the skillet later. Salt the flesh and set aside, flesh side down, on some paper towels for 30 minutes to leach the eggplant of its bitter juices. Dry with paper towels.

2. In a large skillet, heat 1/ 4 cup of the olive oil over high heat and once it's smoking, fry the eggplant, flesh side down, until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Remove from the skillet to drain on some paper towels.

3. In the same skillet you cooked the eggplant, add the remaining oil and heat over medium-high heat, then cook the onion and garlic until soft and yellow, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently so the garlic doesn't burn. Transfer the onions to a medium-size bowl and mix well with the tomatoes, parsley, dill, sugar, salt to taste, and a few tablespoons of the cooking oil.

4. Arrange the eggplant halves in a large skillet or casserole with the slit side up. Gently open the slit so that they can accommodate as much of the stuffing as possible. Season the eggplant with salt, then stuff each one so that the stuffing fills the slits and is spread to cover all the flesh. Sprinkle the lemon juice over the eggplant. Pour any remaining sauce or juices, along with the water, into the skillet, cover, and cook over low heat until the eggplant is soft, about 50 minutes, adding water to the skillet if it is getting too dry. Let the eggplants cool in the skillet and serve whole at room temperature.

-

olympus
Member # 10086

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for olympus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I t look really nice delicious.I want Spinach In Puff Pastry, I love it.
Your invitations are surely appreciated.I can give up being on a diet for it. [Smile]

Posts: 18 | From: SOMEWHERE BETWEEN ASIA AND EUROPE | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
olympus
Member # 10086

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for olympus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you trying to kill me? [Smile] )
Posts: 18 | From: SOMEWHERE BETWEEN ASIA AND EUROPE | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

You welcome Olympus [Smile]

No I m not trying to kill anybody [Big Grin]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com