Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » a question please..(re: breakfast)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: a question please..(re: breakfast)
mel
Member # 14765

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A question please...what do Arabic people like to have for breakfast? What are their favourites?

Thanks in advance, and thanks for your time!

Posts: 49 | From: australia | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unfinished thought.
Member # 16076

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for unfinished thought.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 3773 | From: unfinished thought | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jean Bean and I were just talking about this yesterday [Big Grin]

We figured that fuul, tameya, olives, cheeses, aish, tomatoes,eggs were the staples and Jean mentioned a cereal??
Jean what was it called???

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The women I work with always have boiled eggs and flat bread in their bag for breakfast. My one TA always has oodles of fruit and she carries cream cheese and tomatoes with her as well.

I have one colleage who eats Molto [Wink]

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Ferret:
The women I work with always have boiled eggs and flat bread in their bag for breakfast. My one TA always has oodles of fruit and she carries cream cheese and tomatoes with her as well.

I have one colleage who eats Molto [Wink]

baby jam filled Molto's.............oh yeah! [Cool]
Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are a bit special aren't they [Big Grin]

I eat Temmys... they do really nice cereals.

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gweilchambyth
Member # 16005

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gweilchambyth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mmmm temmys.

i got really addicted to bran stars with plain yoghurt over the summer. I can't stand cereal that makes the milk sweet!

whenever i've had breakfast with egyptians it's been stuff like bread with white cheese and olives or tomatoes. Fuul and eggs with basterma are popular too, but you mustn't forget the milky tea! Or my worst nightmare, dairylea/la vache qui rit.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fool we ta3meya yasta.
Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whats 'yasta'?

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Close to ya m3alem.
Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whats ya m3alem? [Confused]

--------------------

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Yady el5eeba.
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Vader-:
Yady el5eeba.

now you're toying with me young man [Roll Eyes]
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Actually, I was toying with you second time, 3rd time I was just displaying disappointment. [Big Grin]
Slewth
Member # 16166

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Slewth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...What a brat!!!! [Razz]
Posts: 199 | From: ...under the radar.... | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Slewth:
...What a brat!!!! [Razz]

This is news?? [Confused] [Razz]
Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mel
Member # 14765

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the responses. What are 'aish' and 'molto' please? And...wow...real Arabs(Arabs who live in the Middle East, yes? No?) eat chocolate spread on bread for breakfast? I kind of thought that even city-bound people from Damascus all the way down south to Cairo and sidewards to the Gulf states and Algiers, Benghazi, and so on, would have a tendency to avoid processed foods

I just love the traditional Arabic staples like humus, babaganoush, stuffed vine leaves and many others. Pretty much the sort I'd have for lunch or dinner, but I've always wondered about the breakfast bit. Any Bedouins here? How do they eat? Pardon the bad spellings

Posts: 49 | From: australia | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Aish is the Arabic word for bread.
Molto is pre packed croissants with different fillings including Nutella spread [Big Grin]

I think most of the labourers here live on canned tuna and cheese triangles on aish for lunch [Razz]

Everywhere you see little shops selling canned tuna, canned pilchards and cheese triangles!!!

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Avoid processed foods! You ever been to Cairo?

Molto are sweet croissants, I love the chocolate ones...

My friends all drink nescafe for breakfast and I have even known the kids bring in Cinnabon for breakfast! This is a bustling metropolis where people work long days and grabbing something from the store is normal.

For lunch the girls either get kushari from the lush lush lush store in Korba or a KFC!!! depends who is doing the dinner run.

Vader, stop bothering the natives [Big Grin]

Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by mel:
Thanks for all the responses. What are 'aish' and 'molto' please? And...wow...real Arabs(Arabs who live in the Middle East, yes? No?) eat chocolate spread on bread for breakfast? I kind of thought that even city-bound people from Damascus all the way down south to Cairo and sidewards to the Gulf states and Algiers, Benghazi, and so on, would have a tendency to avoid processed foods

I just love the traditional Arabic staples like humus, babaganoush, stuffed vine leaves and many others. Pretty much the sort I'd have for lunch or dinner, but I've always wondered about the breakfast bit. Any Bedouins here? How do they eat? Pardon the bad spellings

Don't believe what they're telling you, they're just messing with your head.

We actually drink camel piss and eat dates all year long.

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
never known any to have chocolate spread on bread for breakfast! never seen that bread here either, I would kill for a normal crusty loaf [Frown]

vader stop being vader [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

unfinished thought.
Member # 16076

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for unfinished thought.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 3773 | From: unfinished thought | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egyptian Breakfast Table

http://flickr.com/photos/40656982@N00/2760978552/

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.whats4eats.com/middle-east/egypt-cuisine
good website

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
never known any to have chocolate spread on bread for breakfast! never seen that bread here either, I would kill for a normal crusty loaf [Frown]

have you tried making your own bread Ayisha?
[Cool]

unfinished thought.
Member # 16076

Rate Member
This is not just a jam sandwich... Oh, actually, it is
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Hermione Heliotrope.:
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:

have you tried making your own bread Ayisha?
[Cool]

Yes, lets not go there [Frown]

TL that is more like an Egyptian breakfast [Big Grin]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com