Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Veggie Question for Dalia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Veggie Question for Dalia
Marmia
Member # 13506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marmia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Dalia, recently asked does anyone know where I can get meat substitute (soya) Tiger Lily mentioned you were vegetarian and suggested I ask you. Ive tried Spinneys & Carrefour but no luck. In Uk I used to get chicken fillet or minced meat beef sausages etc made from soya by Quorn..Any ideas where I might find them? Im willing to travel anywhere in Cairo!

Thank you in advance Marmia

Posts: 164 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katiamisa
Member # 13751

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for katiamisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Marmia!
Im also vegetarian,and since im here i havent found soya here.Only tofu in alfa market maadi,but that i dont like!I always bring it with me frm my country while coming back.Unfortunately there r no organic shops like in europe ,where u can find all the meat substitutes and the other yummy healthy stuff.I hope there will b someone helping us out!!!
Good luck.
K

Posts: 46 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how bout health food stores.
I know that there is one here in my area, and the same company has a store in Al Rehab.
Think that there is a health food store in Maadi, and heard of one in Zamalek, but don't know where.
sorry

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might try Sekem, but I'm not sure if they'll have what you're looking for.
sekem site
That site lists some of their products.
You can call one of the numbers below and ask as well.

Where to buy ISIS and SEKEM Products:
In all branches of Carrefour, Metro, Shoprite and Soudi

Nature`s Best Shops

* Hykestep, 3 Belbeis Desert Road
Tel: 6564124 (209)
* Zamalek, 8 Ahmed Sabry st. off. Brazil st.
Tel: 7382724
* Bio Shop, 27 at 231 st. Maady Degla
Tel: 5212103
* Health Home, 10 Ali Abn Radwan st. Ard El-Golf Heliopolis
Tel: 2901531

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marmia
Member # 13506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marmia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Christmas and thank you to all for you replies. I buy sekem & Isis herbal teas which I enjoy - didnt know they had other products so will def. check out that site along with the other contacts you have given me. I dont like tofu either.. the texture is unpleasant.. For Christmas Dinner Ive opted for a mixture I devised yesterday consisting of wholemeal bread (for Carrefour) crumbled with dried sage, cashew & wholenuts crushed, lemon juice, pepper salt blended butter & oil and chopped onion.. baked in oven bind with water & wrap on corn oil coated aluminium and will bake in the oven.. Going to steam some carrots cabbage & courgettes and will roast potatoes with the courgettes.. Finish with vegetable gravy (Knorr stock cubes, with water/essence of potatoe etc., whisk together with cornflour and there's my veggie Christmas Dinner..! Amazing how creative we can be when we have to improvise! Enjoy your meal!
Posts: 164 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katiamisa
Member # 13751

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for katiamisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i had stuffed pancakes with veggies.My baby girl adores it!
By the way Marmia,whats "dried sage"?
K

Posts: 46 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

it is great in poultry dishes i grow it at home and use it all the time. [Smile]

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Marmia,

I'm sorry but I don't think I'm able to help you. I know which kind of stuff you're referring to, but I've never seen it in Cairo; I'm not a big fan of meat substitutes anyway.
I know some Asian restaurants serve dishes containing seitan which is quite yummy. You might want to ask there where they buy it or if they make it themselves.

quote:
Originally posted by Marmia:
For Christmas Dinner Ive opted for a mixture I devised yesterday consisting of wholemeal bread (for Carrefour) crumbled with dried sage, cashew & wholenuts crushed, lemon juice, pepper salt blended butter & oil and chopped onion.. baked in oven bind with water & wrap on corn oil coated aluminium and will bake in the oven..

I was at some friends' house last night, and since they were having a very traditional dinner I had to bring something other than my usual Indian / Middle Eastern food along. [Big Grin] I made a nut loaf that sounds a bit similar to what you describe above. I made a nut mixture consisting of finely ground cashews, pine nuts and blanched almonds, wholegrain toast crumbs, onion, butter and some herbs plus a filling made of bread crumbs and some other stuff. The whole thing was covered with oiled baking paper (although I'll use aluminium foil next time, it's easier to handle) and baked in the oven for about an hour.
I served it with a dark sauce with shiitake mushrooms, it was very yummy.

quote:
buy sekem & Isis herbal teas which I enjoy - didnt know they had other products so will def. check out that site along with the other contacts you have given me.

Sekem are actually extending their produce palette with new products each month. They have a big selection of grains and pulses and spices and other stuff worth checking out. Their organic milk is quite good although I wouldn't buy it in summer.
The stores in Degla and Zamalek have the best selection.

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MICKY A:
 -

it is great in poultry dishes i grow it at home and use it all the time. [Smile]

this is dried sage and you can get it in Cairo . i bought it there
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marmia
Member # 13506

Hi guys.. Thanks for all of your suggestions. Yes Dalia, I made my own version of nutloaf and added chopped apple to add flavour & more texture - Turned out ok although I think I overdid the dried sage.. It was very fresh/strong flavoured.. In UK it can tend to taste bland. I like the suggestion with the dark sauce and Shiitake mushrooms.. Did you use soy or Oyster sauce in the recipe? Can you elaborate on the bread filling you mentioned? RE: The organic milk.. Ive got such a difficult digestive system I cant tolerate milk and most cheeses so opt for Soya milk (found good supply at Carrefour) Used to do my BIG monthly shop mostly at Spinneys until recently. We live 85 kms from there and even further from Maadi but its worth the journey every so often to get what I need.Re: SEKEM, I checked out the site "Loved One" mentioned earier today, they don't do meat substitute but Ive emailed them to suggest they expand the vegetarian range.

Hi Katiamisa.. Did you stuff the pancakes with vegetables or was that the accompaniment?
Thanks again Marmia

paradise_seekers
Member # 14095

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for paradise_seekers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hi Dalia, recently asked does anyone know where I can get meat substitute (soya) Tiger Lily mentioned you were vegetarian and suggested I ask you. Ive tried Spinneys & Carrefour but no luck. In Uk I used to get chicken fillet or minced meat beef sausages etc made from soya by Quorn..Any ideas where I might find them? Im willing to travel anywhere in Cairo!

Thank you in advance Marmia

If you go to Iskanderia try Fathallah, the one in Montazah branch, they have some sort of soya powder, near the spice section, which you can use to make your own stuff.

There is another branch in some area called Sa'a (Times Square), never been there but heard it's much bigger,

Posts: 212 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I like the suggestion with the dark sauce and Shiitake mushrooms.. Did you use soy or Oyster sauce in the recipe? Can you elaborate on the bread filling you mentioned?

White nut loaf with herb filling

1 big onion, peeled and finely cut
50 g butter
1 teaspoon dried thyme (I used more)
1 tablespoon flour
1/4 liter of milk
250 g mixed white nuts, fintely ground, i.e. cashews, almonds, pine nuts
100 g breadcrumbs from fresh white bread (I used whole grain toast which is fluffy and a bit more tasty than white bread; it soaks up more liquid than white bread though, so an addition of a bit of liquid -- water or milk -- might be necessary.)
2 egg whites (I used three)
salt, freshly ground black pepper (I also added some teaspoons of dried majoran)

For the filling:

175 g breadcrumbs (see above)
100 g butter (I used a bit more and melted it in the microwave before using)
4 tablespoons fresh parsley, cut. (I didn't have parsley and don't like it much either, so I used fresh oregano instead)
2 tablespoons fresh grat3ed onion (I used some grated garlic instead)
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 egg yolks (I didn't use any)

• Heat stove to 190°C
• Use a long square form, similar to those you would use for making bread or dry cake, for example. Put greased baking sheets or slightly greased aluminium foil inside. The sides of the sheets or the foil should hang over the form, so that you can later fold them over the surface of the loaf.
• Cover the bottom of the form with a thin layer of finely ground breadcrumbs

• Heat some oil and gently cook / fry the onion for about 10 minutes or untit it becomes very soft
• Add thyme and flour, stir and cook for 1-2 minutes
• Add milk, stir, and wait until it thickens

• Take pot from stove. Add nuts, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and herbs
• Beat egg whites until they are very stiff. Fold under nut mixture

• Prepare filling:
• Thoroughly mix all ingredients and add salt, pepper and herbs to taste

• Put half of the nut mixture into form
• Carefully squeeze mixture for filling, using your hand. Try to shape it into a rectangle and fit into form. It should cover the first layer nicely.
• Put second layer of nut mixture on top. Smooth with a spoon. Sprinkle some whole pine nuts or other things on top if you want some decoration.
• Cover with overlapping baking sheet / aluminium foil and bake for about an hour

Serve this loaf for christmas with all the traditional additions, such as bread sauce, cranberry sauce and vegetarian gravy.

I made this sauce:

1 onion, finely grated
2 tablespoons oil
2 tbs flour
2-3 cloves of garlic
1/2 liter vegetarian broth or water
1 teaspoon yeast extract (Marmite or similar stuff. I use something milder but more aromatic than Marmite.)
2 tablespoons good soy sauce
salt, freshly ground black pepper.

handful of shiitake mushrooms, soaked in boiling water for a while and cut

• Gently fry the onion for about five minutes in the oil
• Add the flour, keep stirring and cooking until flour and onion are nicely browned and very soft
• Add yeast extract, soy sauce, salt, pepper
• Add mushrooms, gently simmer for a few minutes
• Puree the mixture until it has a smooth, creamy texture
• If you like, add some fresh herbs, such as thyme, marjoram, oregano ... or a pinch of chili

quote:
RE: The organic milk.. Ive got such a difficult digestive system I cant tolerate milk and most cheeses so opt for Soya milk (found good supply at Carrefour) Used to do my BIG monthly shop mostly at Spinneys until recently. We live 85 kms from there and even further from Maadi but its worth the journey every so often to get what I need.Re: SEKEM, I checked out the site "Loved One" mentioned earier today, they don't do meat substitute but Ive emailed them to suggest they expand the vegetarian range.

I think they might actually offer meat substitutes at some point in the future. They already offer some vegan fetas which are actually quite tasty, which might be interesting for you if you can't tolerate milk.
I'm not sure whether they are aming at Coptic people who are fasting (i.e. eating vegan) many days of the year, or at crazy vegan foreigners. [Big Grin] Maybe both ... but I think it's interesting that they have those products.

They also started offering soy milk recently, but I found it very expensive. I've only been to Carrefour once, haven't seen soy milk there at all. Where do you find it there and how much would it be?

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marmia
Member # 13506

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Marmia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks again for your replies. P_S & Dalia.

Ive written your recipes into my recipe book & plan to try them in the near future Dalia. Re: the soya milk.. Its called WEST SOY LOW FAT Plain Soy Milk Drink with calcium & Vitamind D.. Lactose & Dairy free. In a blue and white carton 946ml (32 Fluid oz) Cost 150 LE. You can find it near to their frozen food chest freezers (near frozen chickens veg etc.,)on shelves. I just bought 8 packs bcos they last until April 08. Happy hunting! Id bought some previously in a small supermarket near where I live, was quite suprised they had it! although it cost 175 LE and they dont always stock it.

Dalia*
Member # 10593

quote:
946ml (32 Fluid oz) Cost 150 LE.

150 LE for about a liter?!? [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]
Marmia
Member # 13506

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Marmia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL... Sorry Dalia.. I sometimes go into UK pound mode instead of Egypt Pounds.. [Roll Eyes] When I typed it I was thinking 1.50 GBP when in fact I meant 15 EP!! Sorry to send you into shock.. Gosh in UK supermarket ASDA you can buy 3 litres of soya milk for around 19EP ..
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Oh, I see. LOL. [Cool]
In Germany they range between 80 cents and about 2 Euros per liter.

Dalia*
Member # 10593

Marmia, what do you do with the soy milk, do you just drink it as it is?

I am currently doing a vegan couple of weeks because I hope that might help with a minor health problem. I don't mind not eating cheese, but I do miss nice creamy milk in my coffee. I like the taste of soymilk, but for coffee it doesn't have enough fat; I tried mixing it with some coconut milk ... a combination that actually tastes good in coffee.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com