EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egypt News » Britain's first snow of the year... and it's only October

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Britain's first snow of the year... and it's only October
unfinished thought
Member # 15848

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for unfinished thought     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first snow of the year... and it's only October

By Chris Brooke
Last updated at 11:08 AM on 04th October 2008

Any hope of a mild winter were dashed today when winter's first snow made an early appearance.

It seems amazing that only a week ago, the sun was out and there was even optimistic talk of a dry season.

But temperatures plunged to below zero overnight and today neighbours in the Highlands were left shovelling their driveways after a surprise snowfall.

-
Winter wonderland: A woman shovels snow in Cairngorm after temperatures plunged overnight

Cairngorm in Scotland is the first place to see the snow but the rest of the country isn't in for much better weather.

Torrential downpours and gale force winds are on the way this weekend.

Those braving the outdoors will need waterproofs and umbrellas to hand, with 1.2in (30mm) of rain predicted in some parts.

Following the relatively sunny and dry end to September, classic autumn conditions are now likely in many areas.

-
Freezing cold: A driver clears winter's first snow from his car

But that pleasant spell has allowed the country to dry up sufficiently to mean there is no immediate danger of more flooding.

With river levels down and surface water gone from fields in recent weeks, it appears unlikely the Environment Agency will be issuing flood warnings.
Three-day forecast
 -

But it will still be wet. The Met Office is warning that all areas will be hit by a band of rain sweeping across the country today, with the North-West suffering the worst drenching.

Rain will return tomorrow, falling mainly in the Midlands and southern England.

Met Office forecaster Barry Grommet said: 'It doesn't look like a very settled weekend that's for sure.

'Generally around the country the rainfall will be about 10 to 15mm, but the most extreme amount will be 30mm which is likely to be seen in the North-West and the Midlands and East Anglia.

'Saturday will be quite windy too. We'll see gales around coastal areas of around 30 to 40mph, not too extreme but certainly a bit of a stormy feel throughout the weekend.'

He said the wet and windy weather was likely to continue into next week, although temperatures were expected to rise.

Temperatures in London on Monday could reach a balmy 64f (18c) and 59f (15c) or 61f (16c) in other areas. But the overall outlook for the immediate future appears wet and gloomy.

We should hardly be surprised. Following last year's record-breaking wet summer, weather statistics show the summer of 2008 was anything but average as well.

In fact, it was one of the wettest and least sunny on record.

We had the dullest August since records began in 1929 and a well below par 463.9 hours of sunshine between June 1 and August 31.

August was the sixth wettest since 1914 and some parts of the country experienced double the average summer rainfall.

Fog

Weather experts are predicting heavy fog early next week as the temperature warms slightly

Although this week has so far seen a return to seasonal average conditions in Britain, other parts of the world have have experienced strange weather.

In Alberta, Canada, temperatures reached a scorching 86f (30c) at a time when snow is often beginning to fall and indeed snow has been falling in Ontario and Quebec on the eastern side of the country.

And there was also fresh snow in New Zealand - during the middle of their spring - which has prompted some ski resorts to open.

Posts: 504 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG! It is suprising!! [Eek!]

I do hope for a lot of snow here later on - just not in October.

We also got the heaters running now for several weeks, there was no late summer weather this year. In the end of August the temperatures started suddenly dropping in Germany. Really really strange.

تيجرليلي

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tom jones
Member # 15768

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tom jones   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its pouring of rain here since yesterday not so windy today but the sky looks murky .

--------------------
"Most men are accredited fools shortly after they leave the womb.”

Posts: 1116 | From: WARNING All stressed out & no one to choke | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reason # 304 for moving to Cairo

No snow [Big Grin]

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tom jones
Member # 15768

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tom jones   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Ferret:
Reason # 304 for moving to Cairo

No snow [Big Grin]

We had snow in Egypt 2005 did not last long but it was funny watching people tiptoing around but it did not really settle and this was in the dessert not nice with harsh winds of sand and a small blizzard .
Posts: 1116 | From: WARNING All stressed out & no one to choke | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zaphirelee
Member # 11074

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for zaphirelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's so easy to forget how lucky I am to be in Alexandria. Snow is nice but perfect sunny days with a cool breeze off the sea are better.
Posts: 153 | From: Egypt | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was hilarious to watch the cars trying to combat rain in January.... my driver said 'allah, why do you bring such a weather?'...

I hate snow, I hate frost and I hate the continual rain... I definately chose a climate I can live with [Big Grin]

I don't even mind the khamseen because in April during the winds I went to the UK and there was a foot of snow!!! Whatever weather I have I know the UK has it 50 times worse!

Cairo is nice at the moment, it is still hot enough to burn but is now cool enough at night to sleep [Big Grin]

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xblueskyx
Member # 12289

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xblueskyx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok now i want out of here, i hate the damn snow, rain, wind in fact i hate everything, now i either move , holiday, or hibernate? ermmmm.......it snowed 2 years ago when i went to dhahab in april, the roof leaked and had to put pots pans and buckets everywere,
Posts: 426 | From: england | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I so cannot wait to leave Germany and it's weather for good. [Frown]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unfinished thought
Member # 15848

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for unfinished thought     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here comes winter: Blizzards forecast as temperature set to drop lower than Siberia... no wonder the swans are staying there

By Caroline Grant
Last updated at 12:45 PM on 28th October 2008

-
Snow hits Aberdeen as temperatures plummet right across Britain

Get out the gloves and scarves - Britain is about to be hit by a chilly blast that will leave some of us struggling with temperatures colder than Siberia.

The freezing weather will bring blizzards of sleet and snow to northern areas of Britain and in some parts of Scotland the temperature will drop to -8c tonight.

The chilly forecast follows the revelation that hundreds of Bewick's swans, which were due to return to an English nature reserve for the 'warmer' winter, are staying put in Siberia because it is colder in the UK.

Around 300 Bewick's Swans were expected at Slimbridge Wildfowl and Wetlands Centre on October 21, but as yet there has been no sign of them.

Each year the swans land at Slimbridge having completed the 1,864-round-trip from Russia.

But weather experts say global warming has created warmer temperatures in Siberia, which may cause the swans to fly over later, or at worst not come at all.
Weather

Flooding catches out a motorist at the River Ouse in the centre of York

And it seems Siberia is not the only place warmer than the UK with temperatures in Anchorage, Alaska hovering around a relatively balmy -4c and 6c in Oslo, Norway.

Gardeners enjoying the last of their late-flowering blooms have been warned to expect a frost.

In low-lying areas, the temperature will be below freezing for at least two nights.

Met Office forecaster Barry Grommet said: 'It is the first taste of winter this year.'

The Met Office said that it would be 'unseasonably cold' on Tuesday and expected winds of up to 50mph to make it feel even colder.

Mr Grommet added: 'There could be quite a lot of snow over the northern hills across Scotland predominantly, but we must not rule out places like Snowdonia and the moors of north-east England.

'Many places are likely to see a frost, we have seen isolated frosts last week but it is quite widespread.'

The Highways Agency said that road gritters were on stand-by to keep major routes clear, while Network Rail has supplies of de-icer ready in case of tracks freezing.

Forecasters are blaming the abrupt end to the mild conditions on a change in wind direction with Arctic gusts replacing the south-west Atlantic breezes enjoyed in recent weeks.

'In terms of what we have been used to, the milder than average temperatures, I think we have probably seen the back of those for the moment,' said Mr Grommet.

'After this cold snap we return to temperatures that are likely to be much nearer average.'

web page

Posts: 504 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is cold here, big drop over the past couple of days!!!!!!!! Thankfully no snow yet!
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yesterday-evening I was at the sportspark and it was 6°C. It felt colder, thinks because of the wind. The weatherforecast predicted frost for the next coming nights.

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for weirdkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No snow, not even raining much in my part of Essex [Frown] (I like the rain).
This year we had snow for easter- so perhaps snow in oct is finally putting snow where it belongs, in winter!

--------------------
Another one....

Posts: 2573 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haha, it even rained in Egypt. Damn.
Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
My brother has put on Facebook pictures of the snow in Solihull... or snowihull as he calls it.

I told him he will have to make a guy fawkes out of the snow lol...

You did have snow for Easter as I flew back to the UK on the 9th April and I was bloody freezing!

unfinished thought
Member # 15848

Rate Member
Arctic blast turns large swathe of the UK white as London sees first October snowfall in 74 YEARS

Even London was hit by a light dusting last night - the first time the capital has seen snow in October since 1934.

-

-

-

Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you name the bird sitting on top of the snowman? It looks nice, all that snow. Here it is sunny and cold ( 2°C). No snow or rain.
I have outdoor training tonight. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is called a Robin. They're lovely little birds. Very cheeky! If you're weeding the garden you can almost guarantee there will be arobin nearby just waiting to see if you've dug up any worms!
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unfinished thought
Member # 15848

Rate Member
European Robin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:ErithacusRubecula.jpg

Deutsch: Rotkehlchen
English: European Robin
Español: petirrojo
Galego: paporroibo
Русский: Зарянка (малиновка)

queenie
Member # 14221

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for queenie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes it is freezing and lots of snow on my car this morning. Yes those Robins are often seen on Xmas cards sitting on the handle of the garden fork!

--------------------
www.sierraresortnabq.co.uk

Posts: 124 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Makbeta
Member # 14401

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Makbeta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snow in London? [Eek!] It rarely snows there at all. My nieces must be on cloud nine!! [Big Grin]
Posts: 2807 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalila : )
Member # 14517

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalila : )         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
its goddamn freezing here makbeta [Frown] should i bring my brolly to egypt vader?
Posts: 3945 | From: ' Res Contr ' Amor non es guirens, lai on sos poders s'atura | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unfinished thought
Member # 15848

Rate Member
Shocked villagers wake up to 6ft drifts of hailstones

-
Cars buried under three feet of hail stones in the town of Ottery St Mary

These were the astonishing scenes after a deluge of hailstones buried a town in a 'river of ice', causing widespread flooding and chaos.

More than 100 people were evacuated from their homes in Ottery St Mary, Devon, and 25 were airlifted to safety or rescued by firefighters.

Cars were buried up to their roofs in hailstones and the freezing conditions caused floodwater to form treacherous icy patches, causing dozens of car accidents.

The town was hit by a staggering 12 inches of hail in just two hours which blocked drains, leading to increased flooding as more rain fell.

-
An aerial view shows the flooding in Ottery St Mary this morning

-
Cars were buried up to their roofs in hail and the freezing conditions caused floodwater to form treacherous icy patches

-
Juliet and Phil Hall with baby Nathan who was born during the storm

Pregnant Juliet Hall had to be rushed through the floods in a police 4x4 after her own waters broke in the middle of the storm.

Emergency services were inundated with calls from terrified home owners who watched helplessly as flood water rose to 5ft high in some places, and there were fears that hundreds of animals may have been killed in the floods.

Residents in Ottery St Mary said the town was unrecognisable after the hail storm..

Sarah Galliford said: 'I was woken up by the sound of hailstones thundering down on the roof. I thought it was the end of the world. I looked outside at about 1am and there was a river of ice coming down the street. It was a total freak of nature. It wasn't even on the weather forecast. They said there would be rain but nothing like this. It was absolutely crazy.'

Clara Pedmore added: 'There is 2ft 6ins of water on the road. I can't get out of the house.One farm nearby has lost about 500 sheep which were out in fields which are now completely underwater.'

The most severe weather hit just after midnight yesterday but by 5am the entire town was cut off and coastguards scrambled helicopters to airlift residents.

Emergency crews also sent in jeeps and fire appliances and boats to take residents to an evacuation centre at the local hospital.

web page

young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Thanks for that. I wondered where it was in Devon. My friend just came back from Devon 2 days ago, it's where she is from, so I was interested by the story but missed where abouts it was when I saw it on the news.
smileyjones
Member # 15911

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smileyjones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What happened to GLOBAL WARMING? [Confused]
Posts: 71 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com