EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Poverty triggers anti-immigrant riots in South Africa: the army is called in (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Poverty triggers anti-immigrant riots in South Africa: the army is called in
Habari
Member # 14738

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Habari         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That reminds of what happened in Nigeria few years back
South Africa: The Army is Called in

UN Integrated Regional Information Networks

Email This Page

Print This Page

Comment on this article

UN Integrated Regional Information Networks

21 May 2008
Posted to the web 21 May 2008

Johannesburg

The South African army has been called in to bolster police efforts to end the xenophobic clashes that have gripped the country's richest province.

According to a statement by President Thabo Mbeki's office on 21 May, "[He] has approved a request from the South African Police Service [SAPS] for the involvement of the South African National Defence Force [SANDF] in stopping ongoing attacks on foreign nationals in Gauteng Province."

At least 23 people have died since xenophobic violence erupted 10 days ago in Gauteng; the International Organisation for Migration believes that about 13,000 people have been displaced.

On Wednesday night, the army and the police were in talks finalising details of the deployment.

Meanwhile buses have been provided to take foreign nationals driven out of Primrose, a suburb on the East Rand, to their countries of origin. Having spent the past few nights in the open, Mario Fernando hopes to get on one of them. "We were forced out by the amaZulu and Xhosa people. I will not come back," he said.

Fernando, 34, left his home in Maputo, the capital of Mozambique, to join his brother in the Ramaphosa informal settlement on Johannesburg's East Rand, only to "arrive in a war".

After taking refuge at a church in nearby Reiger Park, another informal settlement, and surviving on food donations from South African businesses and individuals following a public appeal, Fernando just wants to go home.

Winnie Bosman, of Reiger Park's Community Crisis Centre, said donations from sympathetic South Africans had flooded in, while "some just drove here and gave us food". She said they were feeding about 5,000 people who had fled violence in the area.

The number of foreign nationals, both legal and illegal, residing in South Africa is estimated at anywhere between one million and 10 million, but around three million are thought to have fled Zimbabwe's imploding economy, where unofficial estimates now put inflation at 1,000,000 percent, with no limit in sight.

No foreign nationals are immune from the effects of the violence and even those residing in Yeoville, an inner-city Johannesburg suburb where foreign nationals are thought to outnumber South Africans, are contemplating leaving.

Ali Ayub, a Malawian who owns a business in Yeoville, told IRIN that people were talking about disinvesting and establishing businesses in neighbouring countries, as "there is big pressure and people feel insecure, and they are thinking: 'I am investing my money here, but will I get it back?'."

He said xenophobia was an undercurrent in South African society, but non-South Africans should accept that they shared some of the blame for the prejudice directed at them by locals; foreigners were wary of employing South Africans, as they felt vulnerable. A South African could tip people off about where money was kept, or inform police about their employer's residence status, Ayub noted.

The blame game

The government believes there are sinister forces at play encouraging the violence, which has seeped into Mpumalanga Province, adjoining Gauteng, after two groceries stores owned by Somalis were torched on 21 May. Some reports cite nearly 500 Somalis as having been killed in xenophobic attacks in South Africa since 1998.

"The response by the South African government to the riots against foreigners ... follows an established pattern," said a statement by the Institute for Security Studies (ISS), a Pretoria-based think-tank.

"Having acknowledged the deeply held xenophobia that apartheid inculcated in our society, government's reaction reverts to type in the search for scapegoats and cop-outs. Instead of leadership and engaging with the root causes of social turbulence, unrest and crime, we are in search of a conspiracy, a third hand."
Relevant Links
Southern Africa
Arms and Military Affairs
Conflict, Peace and Security
Human Rights
Migration
South Africa

The South African Institute of Race Relations, (SAIRR) a South African policy and research organisation, said in a statement on 20 May that the blame lay with failed government policies and inaction, which had created a perfect storm.

"The government's repeated failures to bring levels of violent crime under control contributed to an environment which saw people resort to violence without fear of arrest or successful prosecution. In failing to maintain the rule of law, the state had conditioned many poor communities to violent behaviour," the SAIRR statement said.

Police corruption, incompetence by the ministry of safety and security, and the poor performance of the prosecuting authorities had combined to "erode the capacity of the police to provide a safe and secure environment in South Africa." Ineffective border controls had allowed millions of people to cross into South Africa and this was further exacerbated by corruption within Home Affairs.
"Thabo Mbeki's quiet diplomacy provided a lifeline to the ailing Zimbabwe regime that kept it in power longer than would otherwise have been the case ... Seen in light of South Africa's inability to secure its borders, our foreign policy on Zimbabwe was destined to have only one effect - the inflow of illegal immigrants," the SAIRR commented.

High unemployment levels, especially among the youth, and the risks of long-term unemployment have been ignored by government. "Labour legislation, hopelessly inappropriate for a largely unskilled workforce, has contributed to keep many mainly black South Africans out of jobs.

"Immigrants were able to secure employment, as these labour policies did not apply to them and they were in many cases able to make a living free from government grants or regulation," the authors of the SAIRR statement pointed out.
Relevant Links
Southern Africa
Arms and Military Affairs
Conflict, Peace and Security
Human Rights
Migration
South Africa

"The violence we have experienced over the past week can be directly attributed to a series of policy failures on the part of Thabo Mbeki's government. Warnings to that effect were too easily dismissed by government spokespeople, who accused analysts of racism and 'doom and gloom' scenarios.

"A 'worst possible scenario' has now materialised and requires a more mature and measured response from government. Failing that, we should expect that similar unrest could occur with little warning in any area of South Africa," the SAIRR said.

[ This report does not necessarily reflect the views of the United Nations ]

Posts: 461 | From: Kilimanjaro | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for meninarmer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Price world price of Gold has tripled over last 2 years, while the price of Silver is also tripled.
Since S.A. still holds the lead in world gold production. one would assume the South African economy would be booming.

Posts: 3595 | From: Moved To Mars. Waiting with shotgun | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One would assume that the economy for BLACK South Africans would be booming. But since they don't own the mines or control the wealth, of course it isn't, as unemployment in South Africa among blacks is increasing and at almost 40% according to some estimates. However, the oddest thing is that the foreigners who are MAKING MOST of the money are NOT being attacked and of course these foreigners are the NON Africans....
Posts: 8891 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akoben
Member # 15244

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akoben     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ good point.
Posts: 4165 | From: jamaica | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for meninarmer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doug M:
One would assume that the economy for BLACK South Africans would be booming. But since they don't own the mines or control the wealth, of course it isn't, as unemployment in South Africa among blacks is increasing and at almost 40% according to some estimates. However, the oddest thing is that the foreigners who are MAKING MOST of the money are NOT being attacked and of course these foreigners are the NON Africans....

Indeed.
My point, exactly!
It appears ending apartheid resulted in allowing only a few educated negroes to make some money.
They should have nationalized the mines, and pushed the boers and jews out when they had the chance.

Posts: 3595 | From: Moved To Mars. Waiting with shotgun | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Masonic Rebel
Member # 9549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Masonic Rebel   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Afrikaner = Criminal [Mad]
Posts: 567 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ggqygipafZw

http://youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=xHmVic22MOk

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NKiePbTcAfY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMPHSQVAJkk&NR=1

Finally!

For the last half-year I've been periodically on and off watching a few videos on South Africa, and most appeared to be rubbish pro-apartheid propaganda. Finally someone's setting people strait.

A South African

The type of propaganda BS I was seeing earlier

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jo Nongowa
Member # 14918

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jo Nongowa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
African Path

Jared Odero

South Africa: Xenophobia is a product of apartheid

May 21, 2008 05:43 AM

We currently see ghastly pictures and read disturbing stories about the raw brutality unleashed by Black South Africans on foreign Black Africans. Why? Is it because of fear, hatred, wrong names and languages or perceived physical differences between them? Are the foreigners bearing the brunt of anger because it is assumed they enjoy the wealth that remains elusive to majority South Africans? Will the violence make the government improve its wealth distribution strategies?

I agree with Sokari Ekine that the present government has failed miserably in its post-apartheid economic reforms. I was in South Africa when Archbishop Desmond Tutu delivered the 2004 Nelson Mandela Lecture which described South Africa’s rising poverty as a powder keg waiting to explode, if no immediate solutions were found. He also criticized the Black Economic Empowerment program for favoring a small section of the emerging black elites thereby shutting out many blacks from sharing wealth. Some black ANC politicians defended the program saying many South Africans were better off today than during the apartheid era. When I discussed Tutu’s speech with some blacks, they told me that South Africans were doing just fine compared to the Palestinians who were then being confronted by the Israelis.

My take on xenophobia:

In my opinion, xenophobia in South Africa (SA) is a product of the former Apartheid system that segregated races and communities thereby raising suspicions towards ‘outsiders’. Before I got started on this article, I thought of one song called Chileshe by South Africa’s great singer, Hugh Masekela. I looked at the CD cover which I have at home then googled to see if I could use its words and Voilà! Koluki had already done this last January. The song was originally sung in 1968 and urged black South Africans not to mistreat or call other blacks dirty names as done to them by whites during apartheid.

I cite a few lines from the cover: "With the influx today of peoples from all over the African Diaspora into South Africa, the level of xenophobia has risen to disgusting heights. Most paradoxically, the song is even more popular amongst black South Africans today and is deeply loved by the new immigrants which helped the 'Black To The Future' album to platinum heights." It is important to note that the song focuses on the period when Africans from the neighboring countries used to flock the mines of Johannesburg to work. Already then, the Johannesburg people viewed themselves as more ‘advanced and civilized’ than those outsiders. Did black South Africans develop the current animosity when they refused to work in the mines but saw outsiders doing so, thereby earning income at their expense? Is it by coincidence that the present violence is centered in Johannesburg?

There are so many experiences that could add up to the current animosity targeted on non-South African blacks. A term that best defines how black foreigners are described by SA blacks is Makwerekwere. Henk Rossouw (a white South African) has penned experiences from his Zimbabwean wife about this: "I remember the guard called us dogs. And when I worked in the clothing factory they called us makwerekwere because South Africans say that the voices of black immigrants scrape against their ears, like insects." From her experience, it does not matter that a black South African is physically darker than an outsider; he/she will ‘sniff’ you out directly because they know foreigners.

I recall reading another makwerekwere experience by Alois Rwiyegura in 2005 who was shocked when he was first called so. Even the police use this term when they stop non-SA blacks to check their papers (identification cards or passports). This is reminiscent of the PASS days when the apartheid police dealt ruthlessly with blacks who did not carry the right identification papers.

During my first visit to Johannesburg in 2002, a colored policeman beckoned me with a gun out of a group of two other African colleagues as we went to meet a friend at the main train station. When I came closer, he asked whether I was from “Niger”, possibly Nigeria. I answered “NO” and asked to see my passport. I answered that I did not know there was a rule to walk with one. I showed him my Swedish national ID card which he could not understand its contents. One of my colleagues then produced his South African work ID card and said that I was a guest fromEurope. That’s when the policeman eased up and told me to be careful with my money and to enjoy my stay.

I also spent a lot of time talking to various people, watching TV and traveling to understand the social disparities especially among blacks. There was once a violent clash in a Johannesburg slum between black refugees and black South Africans, which ended in fatalities and fires that gutted a large number of shacks. The foreigners were then blamed for robberies, ‘stealing’ South African women and taking local jobs. When Ms. Winnie Madikizela-Mandela visited the slum to console the victims, she shed tears for the poor conditions they were living in. They showed her bags of rotten maize meal which were provided to them by authorities as part of the feeding program. She begged the South Africans to treat foreign Africans with dignity because they had accepted them in their countries during the anti-apartheid struggle.

Whenever I had an opportunity to socialize with black students at my host university, I realized that many were quite naïve and ignorant about other Africans outside their country. Quite a few had traveled within SA, let alone Africa. For instance, when they asked whether I was born in Sweden and I answered “No I was born in Kenya”, they did not know where to locate Kenya. One breathed a sigh of relief when I explained that Kenya was in Africa. He then told me: “But we are feeding your people; we have so much food”, meaning that anybody who was not South African depended on them. This was when Swaziland was going through a very bad drought and had to import maize from South Africa. They also believed that their country was the largest in Africa.

The same students kept telling me how blessed SA was to be leading Africa from the bottom (geographically). Her position dominates the whole continent in terms of wealth and military prowess. When I told them about my objection to their government’s huge investment in the Swedish jet fighters called JAS-39 Gripen instead of improving the wellbeing of the poor, they were categorical that they needed the jets so that no African country could attack them etc.

It was interesting to see the reaction of some black students when they visited my room at the guest house outside the university that hosted me. They were shocked to learn that I paid 150 rand per day for accommodation. It was unaffordable for the majority and they immediately asked if the South African government was paying for this. I told them it was part of my research funding from Sweden. I then reminded them that they had said they were feeding other Africans, so why were they shocked at the cost of my accommodation?

Another very interesting observation was when people greeted me in the local language (Setswana) yet I could not reply. One afternoon I was walking with the lady who owned the guest house to take a helicopter ride offered by one of her guests who was a pilot. Two African men said hello at the entrance of the venue. Naturally, I did not understand but the landlady did (she is white but was brought up on a farm where they had black workers so learnt Setswana). After walking a few meters ahead, she told me that those people said bad things about me because I had refused to return their greetings.

I had a similar experience in 2004 while in Durban and wore a shirt decorated with pictures of African wildlife. A man then began speaking to me in the Zulu language. I politely asked him to speak in English because I could not understand him. He replied that so many black South Africans were acquiring a bad habit of running away from their traditions by pretending not to understand their mother-tongue. I insisted I was not even South African, but he refused until I had to move away from him.

Who is a South African?

I conclude with a quotation from Michael Bleby's latest op-ed on the violence:

"South Africa will only free itself from the sort of violence it faces right now when its practical policies of redress and affirmative action are informed by a level of thought that does not seek to define what it means to be South African, but permits an evolving definition.

This is the only way to resolve the inherent contradiction of a society trying to alter the imbalances of the past 350 years while fostering a sense of national identity that embraces all people and that all people embrace. The alternative is too horrific to contemplate: Today it's South Africans versus Zimbabweans. Tomorrow it's white South Africans versus black South Africans and the following day it will be Zulus and Xhosas fighting each other. This is a downward spiral."

Posts: 387 | From: England, UK | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jo Nongowa
Member # 14918

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jo Nongowa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Opinion - News Analysis

The South African xenophobia

Sean Jacobs

The recent violence is indicative of a national trait — xenophobia — that can no longer be denied.

Vexing events: South Africa has evidently failed to confront all its evils.

South Africa is a modern, industrialised country, with one of the world’s most progressive constitutions, that prides itself on inclusivity. Its people champion concepts such as the “rainbow nation” and “the world in one country” and, despite resistance, held a much-heralded truth and reconciliation commission.

This makes the events of the last week even more vexing. A least 22 people have been murdered in orchestrated attacks by groups of South Africans against immigrants in poor townships around Johannesburg. Two of these were burned to death. The victims are mainly Zimbabweans. Reports quote the attackers as saying the migrants are “job stealers.” South Africa has evidently failed to confront all its evils. The xenophobia that prompted these attacks permeates its whole society.

Most unequal country

The immediate cause for the violence of the last week is the desperation of sections of the poor black South Africans living in subhuman conditions. South Africa remains the most unequal country in the world. Poverty and desperation are only part of the story.

Extensive research by the Southern African Migration Project has shown that South Africa, Botswana and Namibia are among the most xenophobic countries in the world, and that South Africans hold by far the harshest anti-immigrant sentiments. Furthermore, these sentiments cut across all major socio-economic and demographic categories. Young and old, black and white, educated or not. They “display an extraordinary consistency in their antagonism towards foreigners, particularly those from other countries in Africa....” Even refugees are viewed negatively.

South Africa and the neighbouring countries largely shaped by its policies have always been about hating others. Colonialism and apartheid were built on such a consciousness. Pundits and observers of South Africa often generalise about its progressive politics. What they forget is that sections of South Africa’s political class — a small minority — leads its population to adopt progressive laws and attitudes on sexuality, marriage, capital punishment and even immigration.

In contrast, the population is generally conservative and socially rightwing. Openness and tolerance and a historical consciousness did not necessarily go along with opposing apartheid.

Anti-migrant sentiments exist in South Africa despite relatively little direct contact with people from other countries. Less than 10 per cent of survey respondents have had a “great deal” of contact with people from other countries, 35 per cent said they had “some contact”, 11 per cent said they had “hardly any” contact, and a remarkable 43 per cent said they have had “no contact at all” with immigrants.

The sentiments about foreigners come from elsewhere: the public utterances and collusion by political leaders and public officials and, more important, from media images. South African media coverage of foreigners in a wide range of sources is overwhelmingly negative, relying on stereotypes about foreigners as “criminals”, “illegals” and “job stealers”.

Some commentators in South Africa have blamed the current xenophobic violence on the crisis in Zimbabwe (that Zimbabweans fleeing Mugabe’s terror add to job and crime woes), or suggested that the instigators are not South African, as Winnie Mandela did last week. It would be an inadequate response if it were true. And it is not true.

South Africa has to face up to some hard truths this week.

(Sean Jacobs is co-editor of Thabo Mbeki’s World: The Ideology and Politics of the South African President.)

Guardian Newspapers Limited, 2008

Posts: 387 | From: England, UK | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jo Nongowa
Member # 14918

Rate Member
Amakwerekwere syndrome - South Africa’s xenophobia

The letters came within two days of each other. The first was an invitation from Professor Georges Hérault, Director of the French Institute of South Africa (IFAS). Three years after my last visit to South Africa to assess the perception of Francophone African literatures in that country’s Universities, IFAS was again inviting me as visiting scholar. The second was from Chris Dunton, the well- known British Professor of African literatures who is now Chair of the English Department of the National University of Lesotho at Roma. Like Hérault, Dunton was inviting me to Lesotho as visiting scholar to present a Faculty of Arts Guest Lecture. I arranged a few other engagements and braced up for a very engaging psychic reconnection with the African continent.

I needed the return to Africa badly. I had been away from that continent for an uncomfortable stretch, carrying out my scholarly labor in the minefield of North American academe, writing Africa “from a rift”, as Achille Mbembe would put it. I also needed the trip for other reasons. I needed a reprieve from the oppression of the image: the North American media image of Africa. The African living here is in constant danger of accepting whatever image of Africa s/he is presented by the media as gospel truth.

In North America, I have been consistently assailed, assaulted, and oppressed with images of Africa traceable to the colonial library: Africa-as-AIDS, Africa-as- hunger, Africa-as-civil war, Africa-as-corruption, Africa-as-the- antithesis-of-democracy, Africa-as-everything-we-are-glad-not-to-be. You get tired of the ritual of explaining to charmingly ignorant interlocutors that there is a fundamental distinction between the Africa they see on CNN and the real Africa.

I also wanted a break from Occidentalism. Fernando Coronil, the scholar who coined this term takes great pains to explain that it is not the reverse of Edward Said’s Orientalism. Coronil uses the newer concept to account for those discursive, usually innocuous processes through which the West turns difference into hierarchy and reproduces existing asymmetrical power relations. Occidentalism covers all the mundane quotidian events through which the West constantly reminds the immigrant of his otherness, strangeness, and difference:

“Oh, I love your accent. It’s awesome. Where is that from?” “Nigeria.” “Nigeria? You mean Nicaragua?” This often-repeated, seemingly innocent “compliment” is usually the beginning of encounters that inevitably remind the immigrant that he does not belong… Departure date finally came around. “Be careful. Urban violence is rife in South Africa”, the Nigerian friends who drove me to the airport warned. I shrugged and dismissed their anxiety. There may be violence in South Africa; I certainly was not going to be scared of returning to Africa. I wasn’t going to be afraid of Black people in Africa.

I arrived Johannesburg on a cold July morning. A delighted Georges Hérault was on hand at the airport to welcome me. We drove straight to the offices of IFAS located in the downtown area of Johannesburg. After signing my research contract papers and meeting some of the new members of the IFAS Research team, I announced to Hérault that I was going to take a stroll in the busy streets around IFAS. I was eager to get a feel of the same streets I had seen two years earlier. Hérault’s countenance changed. “Be careful. Don’t go out there with your wallet. You could get mugged.” I assured Hérault I would be all right but took the precaution of leaving my valuables in his office.

I started my walk, my reconnection with African soil, on the busy Bree street. For someone who had walked the same street three years earlier, I could not help but observe the heavy Black presence. Like the Hillbrow area, Blacks have taken over downtown Johannesburg. The official principle of separate development through which racial segregation was enforced under Apartheid seems to have been replaced by what one may call an unofficial principle of voluntary separation. While separate development instituted an order in which Blacks had to move out whenever Whites moved in, as was the case in Sophiatown, voluntary separation now induces Whites to move out quietly whenever and wherever Blacks move in.

Downtown Johannesburg is a vivid example of a space in which this new South African drama is being played out. This space, which was still predominantly white during my earlier visit, has been taken over by Blacks. In large office complexes and shopping malls, one does not fail to notice the ubiquitous “To Let” signs, evidence of white retreat to other “safe” areas of the city like Rosebank or back “home” to Britain, Holland, Canada, New Zealand and Australia.

I stopped for a light lunch at a KFC outlet, my mind busy taking in the new realities. I finished my lunch and went back into the street. I was about to cross a busy intersection when a street sign told me I was on Fox street. Fox street! I had heard a lot of terrifying things about that street since my last trip to South Africa. It is said to be one of the most violent streets in Johannesburg. One could get mugged or killed for as little as a hundred South African rands. I looked around me anxiously. I was surrounded by a sea of inscrutable Black faces. I touched my forehead and found out, much to my irritation, that I was perspiring profusely.

It was winter in South Africa! And to my utter embarrassment, I discovered that I relaxed and felt safer each time white faces appeared in the crowd. Here was I, a Black man, looking anxiously for white faces to feel safe from Black violence in an African city! And to think that back in Canada, I had dismissed insinuations that I could be scared of “Black violence” in South Africa! I reluctantly came to the realization that I was far more affected by the oppression of the image than I had been willing to admit.

The image of the post-apartheid Black condition in South Africa is constantly constructed in the Western media around the problem of violence. Such stereotypical and prejudicial narrativizations of Black South Africa always have two constantly-repeated, over-sensationalized buzzwords: mugging, robbery. That image had quietly slipped into my subconscious and was responsible for my feeling so uneasy amidst my own kind in a busy street in Johannesburg. I hurried back to IFAS.

On hearing that I had arrived in Johannesburg, Professor Harry Garuba came from his base in the University of Cape Town to spend a weekend with me. As Harry and I hadn’t seen each other since 1996, we had a riotously joyful reunion. The following day, we hit town. Harry wanted to see downtown Johannesburg. He also needed to go to the Consulate-General of Nigeria in Rosebank. As we meandered our way through the ever busy Bree street, Harry could not help observing how filthy downtown Johannesburg had become. I had made the same disturbing observation myself the day I arrived but had been reluctant to accept the disturbing fact that decay of public infrastructure seems to be the story in areas of the city inhabited by Blacks.

Predominantly Black areas have become an eyesore. The beautiful lawns and flowerbeds I noticed in some areas three years earlier now tell sad stories of degradation. Some of them have become open-air urinals. Harry and I were worried. We tried to place ourselves in the shoes of White South Africans discussing the now filthy streets of Hillbrow and downtown Johannesburg: “Ah, the good old days of Apartheid!”

When Harry concluded his business at the Nigerian consulate, we took a bus and headed back to Georges Hérault’s residence. I still don’t know what it was about us that gave us away as foreigners but the other passengers, all Blacks, lapsed into an uneasy silence as soon as we entered. I looked at the faces around us and thought I saw hostility. The tension was so thick in the air you could cut it with a knife. Harry confirmed my worst fears when we left the bus. I had just experienced, firsthand, South African xenophobia and I was to experience it again and again throughout my three-month sojourn in that country. Harry explained to me – with the coolness of someone used to it - that the Black South African passengers on the bus had identified us as makwerekwere, hence the naked hostility.

Makwerekwere is the derogatory term used by Black South Africans to describe non-South African blacks. It reminds one of how the ancient Greeks referred to foreigners whose language they did not understand as the Barbaroi. To the Black South African, makwerekwere refers to Black immigrants from the rest of Africa, especially Nigerians. I was confounded by the fact that Black South Africa had begun to manufacture its own kaffirs so soon after apartheid.

As I later discovered after a series of encounters, Black South Africans have found an easy explanation for the myriad problems of poverty, housing, transportation, unemployment, crime, violence, decay of public and social infrastructure. “Ah, the makwerekwere! These Nigerians are all criminals! When they are not busy trafficking drugs, they are taking over our jobs, our houses and, worse, our women. All foreigners must leave this country!” What Salman Rushdie refers to as a “demonizing process” of the Other is at work here and the consequences are predictably disastrous. There is so much anger and frustration among the Nigerians I met in South Africa.

Most of them have become paranoid, living permanently in fear. In a discussion with some Nigerian medical doctors in Pretoria, I observed that their anger is directed more at Black South African leaders. “Imagine these South Africans treating us like this. They think Apartheid came to an end because they fought in Sharpeville and Soweto. It means Mandela never told them the truth. Mbeki never told them the truth.”

The doctors were referring to Nigeria’s heavy moral, political, and financial investment in the anti-Apartheid struggle. Nigeria’s financial and political commitment to that cause was total and unflinching. In the 1970s-80s, the South African freedom struggle was completely woven into Nigeria’s national imaginary, so much so that a Nigerian leader, Olusegun Obasanjo, suggested we mobilized “African juju” and other maraboutic forces of African sorcery to attack Pieter Botha and free our black brothers in South Africa. And he wasn’t joking.

Every Nigerian musician, from reggae singers to fuji musicians in the Yoruba tradition, waxed radical anti-Apartheid lyrics to energize the 1970s – 1980s. “Who owns the land, who owns the land? We want to know who owns Papa’s land”, crooned Sonny Okosuns. Majek Fashek, the reggae man replied: “Now, now, now, Margaret Thatcher, free Mandela”! Victor Eshiet of The Mandators screamed: “Truth is our right, Jah is our might, we must free South Africa”.

Everywhere you turned in the Nigeria of those heady decades, freedom for Black South Africans was the dominant national agenda. Black South Africans, including President Thabo Mbeki and Ezekiel Mpahlele, found warmth, hospitality, and friendship during their years of exile in Nigeria. Many of Black South Africans attended Nigerian Universities on Nigerian scholarships. When it became clear that South African whites, like their European and American kinsmen, were determined to make peaceful change impossible and make violent change inevitable, Nigerians donated money to the armed struggle. Personally, I recall donating money during special anti-Apartheid fundraisers as a high school student in Nigeria. In view of this, the Nigerians I met in South Africa had only two words to describe the attitude of Black South Africans to them: collective amnesia.

Prejudice has been the force majeure of so much of human history. Our pantheon of small-minded hate is formidable: Christian prejudice manufactured the unbeliever; Islamic prejudice manufactured the infidel; heterosexual prejudice manufactured the faggot; patriarchal prejudice manufactured the hysteric; European prejudice manufactured the native; American prejudice manufactured the nigger; German prejudice manufactured the Jew; Israeli prejudice manufactured the Araboushim; Afrikaner prejudice manufactured the kaffir.

Not to be outdone, Black South Africa has manufactured the makwerekwere as her unique post-Apartheid contribution to this gory pantheon. The joy of your instant-mix coffee (Nescafé) or your instant-mix powdered milk is the considerable labor and hassle it saves you. Just pour water, add sugar to taste, and your drink is ready. The makwerekwere is Black South Africa’s instant-mix kaffir, very easily produced with minimum labor.

* Pius Adesanmi is Associate Professor of English and Director, Project on New African Literatures ( http://www.projectponal.com ) at Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada. Apart from his academic work, Dr. Adesanmi publishes opinion articles regularly in various internet fora. He runs a regular blog for The Zeleza Post ( http:// www.zeleza.com ) where this article first appeared. He has contributed to Counterpunch, Slepton and Chimurenga online.

* Please send comments to:
editor@pambazuka.org or
comment online at:
http://www.pambazuka.org

*This article first appeared at the Zeleza Post (www.zeleza.com ).

Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.pambazuka.org is a trash anti-africa, uncle tom field neggro!! [Mad]
Posts: 2198 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yonis2
Member # 11348

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yonis2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why you say that? His article makes alot of sense. The southafrican Zulu and xhosa have created the "Mwhakwarere"(?)as scape-goat for their problems which is rather a result of their own government failing them.
Why arent these fools attacking those Jewish, indian and english capital owners who have isolated themselves in gated communities with everything they need, mansions, villas, security guards and maids, 80% of the country is owned by them. Instead they are attacking Boer farmers who are struggeling to make ends meet, or attack other africans who work harder than them.
It's all the fault of "mekwerere", they themselves are not to blame for failing to capitalize on the countries well developed infrastructure they inherited after the fall of apartheid. They are just lazy, that's their problem. They need another round of apartheid, a good dose of adrenalin injection on the chest.

Posts: 1554 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
^What they NEED is real leadership with some sense of pride.
Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, I meant of course "house" not field [Roll Eyes] maybe we should not use this term [Roll Eyes]

Yonis, I decided long time ago not to debate with you. The problem is, you want to be different, a renaissance boy, and show the world that you can think and add 2+2, but the truth is, a concrete wall is more intelligent than you. At least the concrete wall does not speak things it has no knowledge of, and it does not brag.

Now to your question,

I have been a subscriber to http://www.pambazuka.org for years, and they do not report anything new then what the western media write.

Now, the situation in South Africa goes very deep than what it is presented to us. But the alpha and omega is Nelson Mandela's betrayal to his people, and the fake policy of rainbow nation. When you have treachery at the top of the society, it is a matter of time the rest of the society follows and particularly the police force and its corruption for the last 20 years.

The violence today is committed by small people, and the majority of Black poor people are the most peaceful and humblest you will ever find on this planet!!

I would not be surprised if this was orchestrated by anti Jacob Zuma's camp!

Let me show their hypocrisy of pambazuka and news you will never find on their site:

US Ambassador in Harare , James McGee is a fucking hypocrite. Hank Cohen revealed

Posts: 2198 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Well there are black S.A owning the Mines. In the recent Forbes Magazine one of the richest people on Earth was a Black S.A mine owner.

As a matter of fact I had a discussion on Topix with Black and White S.A about that. the White S.A told me about something called B.E.E Black Empowerment Something...more or less Afirmitive Action to promote Black Ownership. Anyway he was saying the blacks in S.A could'nt run the mines as well as the current owners so the whites are still owning them.

I really don't know with these South Africans. They are worse than America when coming to hating each other.

I think it woll boil down to Zimbabwe and if the new Gov. can rebuild and form another stable South African nation to relive the stress on South Africa.

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
The Apartheid regime in South Africa, Israel, The United States. Not the most progressive regimes in the world.
The progress on the Human Genome Project now makes it possible to target specific groups of individuals based upon certain genetic signatures. This is the logical next step in the progression of biological weapons. These weapons have been around for thousands of years. The Romans used to dump dead animals into the water supply of their enemies to inflict disease. The American "settlers" used small pox in blankets to target the Native American populations. The American Native population is still subjected to this type of attack:
Hantavirus is one of many "new" diseases that have come under suspicion of having their origins in genetic engineering or biowarfare labs.
This journal for command-level military personnel was published by the US Army Command and General Staff College in Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. The feature, entitled "Ethnic Weapons," authored by Carl A. Larson, outlines the history, desirability, and possibilities of engineered biological pathogens which would affect only those races which historically have no natural defense against certain "enzyme inhibitors."

Larson is listed as head of the "Department of Human Genetics at the Institute of Genetics, Lund, Sweden" as well as a licensed physician. The Hippocratic oath was apparently not administered in Sweden when Larson received his accreditation.

Larson explains that many of the chemical activities and functions within the human body are caused by the interactions of enzymes. One of the more significant activities enabled by enzyme chemical reactions are the contraction and relaxation of muscle tissue. If the activities of these enzymes are blocked, the victim will be paralyzed, even to the point of death by asphyxiation.

Not coincidentally, the enzyme-blocking action of compounds called organophosphates were discovered in Germany in the 1930s when experimental insecticides killed the people unlucky enough to have used them. This discovery led to the mass production of a substance named "Trilon," later used to impressive effect in the extermination of groups of people the Nazis considered little more than insects. This substance and others of similar makeup became known as "nerve gas."

A concentration of 40 milligrams per cubic meter can kill in about 10 minutes. Stronger agents were later developed which can do the job with a single drop on the skin.

[...] Larson is even more explicit in a way that would probably never make it into the mainstream press. In a passage that would make Doctor Strangelove proud, he muses uncontrollably on the possibilities of genetically-sensitive chemicals to subdue enemy populations:

"Friendly forces would discriminatingly use incapacitants in entangled situations to give friend and foe a short period of enforced rest to sort them out. By gentle persuasion, aided by psychochemicals, civilians in enemy cities could be reeducated. The adversary would use incapacitants to spare those whom he could use for slaves."

This was published in a serious, staid professional journal read by US military strategists. He concludes with the statement that "the functions of life [now] lie bare to attack."

According to the US Army, new agents are needed for overseas missions and cooperation with Israeli and South African research is warranted. These new malodorants are to be specifically adapted for their (non-white) victims. According to a 1998 document:
"The objective of this work is the development of a comprehensive set of [malodorants] that can be applied against any population set around the world to influence their behavior ."

The documents describe the Army research procedure. A group of subjects selected "based on a diversity of geographic origins and cultural heritage" is systematically exposed to candidate malodorants to develop "culture-response data" based on ethnic categories. Test subjects and profile testing was preformed by leading US black universities such as, Howard university. That data is aggregated into "odor response profiles" that suggest the types and quantities of malodorants necessary to "elicit a favorable behavioral response" (i.e. incapacitation, panic, learning blockage, apathy, or fear & flight) when used for crowd control on a particular ethnic group.

As horrible as these weapons are in their practice and in what they reveal about the people developing them, it was the work on the Human Genome that really opened the door to a new generation of bioweapons, weapons that could be fine-tuned to one's genetic make-up. We have been subjected to reams of paper and hours of air-time discussing the benefits of genetic research, the ability to target individual genes to "repair" them.

-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yonis2:
Why you say that? His article makes alot of sense. The southafrican Zulu and xhosa have created the "Mwhakwarere"(?)as scape-goat for their problems which is rather a result of their own government failing them.
Why arent these fools attacking those Jewish, indian and english capital owners who have isolated themselves in gated communities with everything they need, mansions, villas, security guards and maids, 80% of the country is owned by them. Instead they are attacking Boer farmers who are struggeling to make ends meet, or attack other africans who work harder than them.
It's all the fault of "mekwerere", they themselves are not to blame for failing to capitalize on the countries well developed infrastructure they inherited after the fall of apartheid. They are just lazy, that's their problem. They need another round of apartheid, a good dose of adrenalin injection on the chest.

I can't help but notice that in South Africa hatred, greed, and division seems to be the problem. The blacks are attacking the Boers the Boers make Websites and Youtube vedios to show the "Failure" of the South African gov.

Truth is South Africa's economy is booming from what I have read on economic blogs, and its odd that the people fighting are the poorest in the South African nation. You hardly hear from the Jews, Indians and Brits as you named in their villas.

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akoben
Member # 15244

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akoben     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Why arent these fools attacking those Jewish, indian and english capital owners who have isolated themselves in gated communities with everything they need, mansions, villas, security guards and maids, 80% of the country is owned by them.

Because they are as self-hating and as tribal as you.
Posts: 4165 | From: jamaica | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jo Nongowa
Member # 14918

Rate Member
Sad! Sad! Sad!

As a Pan Africanist, I despair.

As Robert Nesta Marley sang:

"Through political strategies they keep us hungry; so when you're going to get some food, your brother becomes your enemy"!

Truly, 'the chickens have come home to roost'.

I am lost for words.

Yonis2
Member # 11348

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yonis2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yonis, I decided long time ago not to debate with you.
Yeah, yeah miss African/black militant, everything is others fault,right? Why don't you do me a favour (i'll even pay half of your flight ticket) Just Walk along the the main street of downtown johannesburg and we will see how long it will take untill your "Mehkewerere" ass will get lynched.
I also urge the AA's to do the same and we'll see how long it will take untill their "Mehkwerere" ass will get toasted.

These people don't even show mercy to Zimbabweans who are their closest relatives.

A zimbabwean worker being burnt alive.

-

Women, children, the whole township were laughing and no one helped him untill the police arrived.

-
 -

He apparently died hours later at hospital

Another Zimbabwean worker being burnt alive (this time necklaced, meaning putting a tire aroud the neck soaked in gasoline and setting it on fire while arms of the victim tide)
 -

Other innocent Zimbabwean victims
 -

-

And finally Below we see the poor victims of apartheid.
 -

-

Posts: 1554 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
quote:

-

No matter how you rationalize it, our present dire situation does all come down to this painful truth.
akoben
Member # 15244

Rate Member
^ Yonis got that pciture from a Boer site southafricasucks.com lol see why i say he is a pathetic selfhating negro?
Yonis2
Member # 11348

Member Rated:
Actually english not boer and the content is not my interess but the pictures that arent censured. You won't find such pictures of the victims on BBC or New York times.

Btw dont ever call me a "negro" again, reserve it for yourself.

lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Boers/Anglos murdered Steven Biko then released Mandela. And what do you get but same old, same old. Apartheid was never dismantled--it's just that blacks were hood-winked into thinking so.
Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And how does Diop's 2-cradle hypothesis fit into all this: Africans being welcoming, open to others and optimistic--on account of the environment, while cold climate people are just the opposite: hard, oppressive, closed and ethnocentric?
Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akoben
Member # 15244

Rate Member
quote:
Actually english not boer and the content is not my interess but the pictures that arent censured. You won't find such pictures of the victims on BBC or New York times.

Btw dont ever call me a "negro" again, reserve it for yourself.

^ Oh so you do frequent that pathetic site of frustrated white exiles, you self hating NEGRO! lol
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Clear Vision (lamin).

This next post is something that could only be posted by a propaganda fooled imbecile.

quote:
And finally Below we see the poor victims of apartheid.
 -

-

So because people are resorting to barbary, you attack ... all South Africans, oh wait, only 'black' South Africans, and yet post as if Apartheid was truly abolished?

--------------------
http://iheartguts.com/shop/bmz_cache/7/72e040818e71f04c59d362025adcc5cc.image.300x261.jpg http://www.nastynets.net/www.mousesafari.com/lohan-facial.gif

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by lamin:
And how does Diop's 2-cradle hypothesis fit into all this: Africans being welcoming, open to others and optimistic--on account of the environment, while cold climate people are just the opposite: hard, oppressive, closed and ethnocentric?

LOL--TO True..WAY TOO TRUE.

Imagine an Africa if the Empire of Ghana(Mali) was left to expand and continue. Promoting Education and pride to other Africans. Imagine Kemet void of the opressive Invaders(the Fatimids are the only non Kemmou rulers that deserve respect) Spreading their culture deeper into Africa along with the Meoritics.

Africans were the most Liberal, Multicultural, welcoming, religiously tolerant Nations and Empires on EARTH. While the Protestans, Anglicans, and catholics of Europe were murdering each other Jews, Muslims, people of Indiginous faiths and even christians to a certain extent were living side by side.

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if some of this is not due to some sort of 'covert' action to stir up trouble in the townships and spur black on black crime. THROUGHOUT the world in black slums that were created by white oppressors you ALWAYS have the same pattern: guns, drugs and violence, often directly and indirectly instigated by the same system of white supremacy who created the slums in the first place.
Posts: 8891 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Habari
Member # 14738

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Habari         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No doubt you would bring your white master...predictable as usual...
Posts: 461 | From: Kilimanjaro | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
^Yes, we've known this since the 60/70s, yet the vast majority of blacks worldwide fully cooperate and refuse to change their ways.

The amazing thing is, as in America, there are many black million/billionaires who refuse to build anything.
In 2008, nowhere in the world, there is no black automotive manufacturer, no black computer manufacturer, no black gene splicing equipment manufacturer, not even a black manufacturer that makes TVs or radios.
Why is this?
We used to be a people that built things.
They say a black man in North Carolina was flying around in his home made airplane months before the Wright Brothers.
Even Jack Johnson the first black heavyweight champ with only a 6th grade education had a patient on machine tools he invented.
We have a rich history of innovation in many fields.
Is it that blacks today still invent, but work for whites who immediately claim and own all invention that comes from the black mind??

Mmmkay
Member # 10013

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mmmkay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Part of the reason is because they don't see themselves as wedded to any black nationalist ideals or motives. They are simply individuals acting in the marketplace and manufacturing is capital intensive, and hence discourages investment.

Not saying I oppose pan-africanism/black self-sufficiency just telling it like it is.

Posts: 426 | From: Cali-for-nia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mmmkay
Member # 10013

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mmmkay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a side note, I'm getting tired of these "woe is me" posts. Complaining solves absolutely nothing, indeed, you become part of the very problem you are talking about.

--------------------
Dont be evil - Google

Posts: 426 | From: Cali-for-nia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jo Nongowa
Member # 14918

Rate Member
African Path

This Violence in South Africa Must Stop!

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

I am shocked and dismayed by the level of violence in South Africa being leveled against our African brothers and sisters from elsewhere on our great continent. When will we Black people realize that we are NOT each others' enemies? This outrage must stop right away!

South Africa and Zimbabwe are both suffering because of the society's failure to surgically remove the remnants of apartheid and colonialism that are STILL manipulating our minds so that we lash out at everybody except our true tormentors.

I AM NOT ADVOCATING VIOLENCE OF ANY SORT, but I find it curious (and shameful) how easily and willingly we reserve our most vicious attacks for our own people while letting those who have enslaved (and still control) us all to one degree or other go completely unscathed. It seems we are sometimes too cowardly to even discuss apartheid, slavery and colonialism with the perpetrators of these crimes, but very brave and brash about murdering and degrading each other.

South Africa is not a success story--it never was. There was really no revolution there. Freedom here was compromised so a handful of Blacks could help a handful of Whites continue to wreak havoc while drugging us with this silly (actually divisive) notion of a “Rainbow Nation”. Had there been a true revolution, the South African justice system would not still be dominated by non-Africans as it is today. Mandela and the ANC left in charge of our fate, the same monsters that would sentence us to death by hanging in Pretoria for the smallest of crimes.

Had South Africa actually gained its freedom, the offer for a state funeral for scoundrels like Botha would never have been made simply because he was not a good citizen (he even scoffed at the Truth and Reconciliation Commission and refused to participate). Yet, "we" forgave him. Rhodesia's Ian Smith would NOT have found refuge in South Africa. He would have been hunted down and chased out wherever he went. Had he committed his crimes in a European country or America, he would surely have been executed long ago. We African people have been rendered incapable of holding the former enemy accountable. Instead, we deride Robert Mugabe as the West and North urge us on to accuse (and actually put him on trial) him of racism, land "theft", war crimes and economic mismanagement when in fact Europe is the true reason behind Zimbabwe’s woes. By having the audacity to utter the words "Never again British rule", Mugabe and ALL Zim's people were plunged into economic hell by Britain. We can never forget that at the root of the current Zimbabwe land issue is the "forgotten" (purposely by the media) fact that Britain’s Margaret Thatcher, Tony Blair, John Major and now Gordon Brown, failed to deliver on Britain’s 1980 promise to compensate Black Zimbabweans for land stolen from them. How many of us own land in Europe that we did not pay dearly for?

We, as African people, need to reassess our definition of freedom and look carefully at its cost to us. Had there been a true liberation movement in South Africa, Dr. Death and other criminals against humanity would not still be living on our land. These are people who openly and callously murdered us and even sought to murder our children by poisoning their candy which they were going to provide for free. Yet, for the sake of "peace, harmony and reconciliation", we are seemingly forbidden to take a critical look this and other events along the path to our so-called freedom.

If we Africans are going to launch this violent assault against someone, it should be against people like the aforementioned and not against fellow victims of these very people. Where is our humanity for our own people? Black South Africans still seem to be largely incapable of looking a White man in the eye as a true equal. Yet we savagely murder and maim our own kind.

I urge us all to remember the Nazi holocaust and how its victims still relentlessly hunt down and bring to justice those who perpetrated equally vicious crimes against mankind. NO I am NOT A ZIONIST. In fact I am definitely PRO PALESTINIAN. However, the Jews have gotten one thing right--If you, Herr Hitler-types harm any one of us, you harm all of us and are our lifetime enemy until you are brought to REAL justice (not the kind reserved for White people who harm Black people). Adopting this approach will hold all of Africa's criminals--Black, White, Colored, Beige, Yellow, Indian, European, Asian, etc.-accountable for their crimes against our people.

Those South Africans I have seen today gleefully murdering innocent people must be found and punished. This includes the South African Police who stand idly by while our brothers and sisters from Zimbabwe are beaten to death before their very eyes. These people are cowards, but that's been clear for a long time. They can't even rise up against the people who are bent on keeping them impoverished.

Bear in mind that our enemy comes in many colors, and usually from far away lands. In South Africa, this includes many of us who participate in this so-called Black Economic Empowerment which is nothing but a smoke screen for our former tormentors who have very skillfully kept their boot on our collective necks and taught us how to hate everyone except them--our true enemies. I disdainfully call these people "BEE ho's [whores]" because they are pimping all of our people for THEIR financial gain and don’t have the backbone to claim any real economic security for themselves that is equal to that of their White business “partners”. Despite the way it looks on the surface, Black people control VERY LITTLE in South Africa. Those who are benefiting are getting rich to be sure. However, they have no intention of sharing any of that wealth with the Black masses whom they secretly loathe.

How do I know these things? I lived and worked for many years in SA as a consultant to the ANC government and many BEE projects. I got to know personally all the “movers and shakers” including Bishop Tutu, CEOs of banks, phone companies, law makers, law breakers, SETA and Madiba himself. Beginning with “freedom” in 1994, I was a “lobbyist” and adviser for projects that were designed to truly spread the wealth around. In the end NOBODY was interested in sharing anything outside a very small circle of what I call “Continuing Poverty Conspirators”. In the 5 years since I left SA for another African country, not much has changed.

The violence I see from South Africans these days would have been more properly leveled against our real tormentors (vigilantes, jailers, politicians, business moguls, non-African farmers, and many nations). Indeed these people totally disrespect South African Blacks because we, unlike them have never shown that we have the testicles to go for the jugular of the real enemy. Instead, we murder each other with their active encouragement and participation. If they were not complicit, there would not have been 20,000 murders (99.3% Black victims) across this “rainbow nation”. If they were not part of all this, more South Africans would be driving to work instead of continuing to wear out their shoes as they plod along in the dust while being menaced by wave after wave of expensive autos recklessly driven by 99% white people. ZIMBABWEANS ARE NOT THE REASON BLACKS CAN’T FIND WORK. The true reason lies, as Mama Winnie properly stated is that the government does not have the best interest of all its people at heart.

Blacks (even those with university degrees) are unemployed because the white AND black elite will not hire them for much above tea servers, gardeners or security guards. Yet white workers, even when totally unqualified, hold the well-paying jobs that they seem to be entitled to. Just walk into the offices of a place like Wisdom Keys (in Sunninghill) and you will not find a single black receptionist. All the black managers there had white secretaries on each of my many visits there as a consultant. This is a pattern one finds all over this country.

Until this changes, there will be NO RAINBOW NATION and NO LASTING PEACE.

Keep your head down and your eyes wide open in all directions.

A Luta Continua!
Mzee Baba Robb

meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Mmmkay:
On a side note, I'm getting tired of these "woe is me" posts. Complaining solves absolutely nothing, indeed, you become part of the very problem you are talking about.

The thread as a whole is one big complaint, and offers no real solution.
For that matter, dreaming about the PAST that was Egypt/Africa does not offer solutions to the present either.
Rather then "manning up" and doing what needs to be done, one would rather rationalize apathy with false claims of how open and trusting Africans were.
Weather we realize it or not, responsibility and accountability of our own actions is key to changing our condition.

lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
What would a conspiracy theorist say?

That the MDC and Morgan Tsvangirai and others conspired to create a situation in SA so that the Zimbabwean economic migrants would flood back into Zimbabwe and vote against Mugabe.

Plausible or not? After all, Morgan spent more than a month in SA having left Zimbabwe immediately after the elections.

Jo Nongowa
Member # 14918

Rate Member
Have any of you guys read Mzee Baba Robb's thoughts on this thread, which was originally printed/posted in the African Path ?
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
JONONGOWA,
Your post is interesting. What I gather from the author's observations is this--and it is a general rule throughout the black world.

After being encountered and heavily oppressed by the European over the last 500 years, Africans have mounted resistance campaigns against the oppression, but the main thing to observe is that in the vast majority of the cases, the goal was not to seek independence and autonomy--"you go your way, I go my way"--but to be equal to the oppresser and share things together. The oppresser welcomes this because he already has all the marbles that count,i.e. economic power and resources

This is the way all the liberation movements in Africa went. The only exception was Guinea under the leadership of Sekou Toure--and the French punished him for that move.

Even going back in time--Toussaint of Haiti after driving out the slavers and killing most of them, considered himself French and consequently was easily tricked into capture by Napoleon.

In more contemporary times even Kwame Nkrumah made some mistakes of trust when he he chose an Englishwoman as his confidential secretary and appointed an Irishman, Conor Cruise O'Brien, as first Vice Chancellor of the University of Ghana

The U.S. Civil Rights movement under King also sought the same "let's be equal" solution. I admit though that any other alternative would have been been fought against by the U.S. establishment.

In South Africa, this is exactly what happened. There were meetings held with the ANC[the PAC was rejected by the "friends" of the ANC and these same friends were just too afraid of Steve Biko's "Black Consciouness Movement". The solution was to marginalise the PAC and to kill Biko]in which it was agreed to release Mandela on the basis of certain conditions being met. The multiracial ANC agreed and what you get is simply Apartheid with some mutiracial faces sitting at the door--as that famous spook who sat by the door.

And it's the same all over Africa. There's this fake organisation called NEPAD which stresses cooperation with the West. The African Development Bank is a docile institutution with big deposits from the West and the Bank director is always vetted by the West. Plus there's all this UN--effcetively run by the white West through its Security Council, with the odd Chinaman thrown in-- oversight from AIDS through Peacekeeping troops--all the way to education.

Is it a serious case of Stockholm Syndrome?

lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
quote:
http://raceandhistory.com/selfnews/viewnews.cgi?newsid1211258346,7665,.shtml
Zimbabwe and the SA connection.
meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
^Much more than Stockholm. Maybe a 500 year old superset variate.

The article is right on, and pinpoints the main reason worldwide blacks today are far worst off then yesterday. the wish for INTEGRATION.
They have no self sustainability in any major area such as food, industry, education, or health.

A nation that cannot feed and sustain itself is wide open for exploitation and control. Rather then burning each other or blaming whites, think about visiting and burning the homes of the black elite and so-called black intellectuals that sell us out.

Jo Nongowa
Member # 14918

Rate Member
No, Lamin.

Its more so a case of having lost the memory of who we are amongst the families of nations on earth, and where we are in the stream of time. In the final analysis, a people not vigilant or alert about their dignity and destiny are usually subject to domination by others.

Hving said this, the responsibility for the shameful, bestial and immoral behaviour of native Africans in South Africa to other Africans is inexcusable. When APARTHEID was the law in their occupied, land tens of thiusands of their finest minds and intellects were granted refuge in the front-line states and in the rest of Africa.

We welcomed them as fellow Africans and treated them as honoured guests.

Again, their behaviour is inexcusable and they are to be held solely and fully responsible for their actions.

meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
Symtoms Of Stockholm Syndrome

-Emotional bonding with captor/abusers

-Seeking approval of the captor/abusor

-Depending on the captor/abusor for security and purpose of existance

-Befriending and caring for the captor/abusor

-Resenting authorities for their rescue attempts

-Losing one's own identity in order to identify with the captor/abusor

-Seeing things from the perspective of the captor/abusor

-Valuing every little token gesture made by the captor/abusor

-Refusing freedom even when given the opportunity

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
The answer is to destroy the machinery and infrastructure of white supremacy. Period.

The problem is that many blacks don't want to believe that white supremacy exists and STILL has a major impact on the lives of black Africans world wide.

Hence, as a sign of this DENIAL, people say that blacks are COMPLAINING when they point out the complicity of whites in the destruction of black folks and their societies world wide.

No. That is not complaining. That is telling the truth. In fact, blacks SHOULD be complaining. MOST BLACKS are NOT COMPLAINING, which IS THE PROBLEM. They seem HAPPY with the situation facing blacks, from HIGH UNEMPLOYMENT, LOW WAGES, BLACK ON BLACK crime, NO OWNERSHIP of ANY MAJOR industries in ALL BLACK countries, NO CONTROL of WEALTH in BLACK COUNTRIES with VAST amounts of mineral wealth and so on. So yes COMPLAIN! YOU SHOULD COMPLAIN. Blacks did not come this far to live in the situation that they are in! That is SILLY.

Of course complaining by itself is not the SOLUTION, but as long as a LARGE number of blacks are COMPLACENT and DON'T SEE any reason to complain, there WONT BE any REASON for them to begin developing a solution.

That is the root of the problem. If EVERYONE does not SEE the same ENEMIES then they cannot HAVE the SAME solutions. Many are KEPT in denial through distractions: work-slavery, religion, eduction(brainwashing), entertainment and collecting superficial things. As long as they DENY the ACTIVE and CONTINUED presence of white supremacy, you can NEVER have an effective solution for DESTROYING IT. THIS is where the stockholm syndrome comes into play. If you IDENTIFY the oppressor then of course YOU WONT want to DESTROY them and their ability to DESTROY YOU.

meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
^ Well said Doug.
But before you can destroy or demise the system, you have to begin to formulate something resembling self government/self reliance.

Some "invested" negroes scream out, "You are complaining" whenever their positions and decisions are threatened.
These supposedly "educated" negroes offer no viable solutions, and don't wish to hear any realistic solutions outside of the comfort zone where they are invested; in status quo.
Never seize putting these negroes in check. They only aspire to replace, or sit beside the so-called elite negroes now in place.

One can begin by learning to relearn the basics, such as agriculture, or learning to control what you eat. It doesn't matter if your backyard is 5'x5'. That space can be utilized as a garden ample enough to supply you with fruits, vegetables, and herbs to sustain you and reclaim some measure of the control that is upon you.
Everything you grow, represents multiple dollars you no longer feed into the white man's food company. It also supplies you and your family with fresh produce not created using pesticides, hormones, and steroids, which can only be better for your health.
if the white man wished to subject you to mind control, all he need do is inject it into your food. You are 100% dependent, and trusting of his sourcing.

Additional, we can stop supporting industries that do not reinvest in the black communities.
There are no X-Box, or Playstation factories in any black country or community.
This includes those black entertainers and athletes like Michael Jordan who front for companies like Nike who choose to put their factories in China and Japan rather then hire and train blacks.
As much as I love basketball, I'd stop supporting these black athletes until they collectively begin to set aside 10% of their earning in a pool for building new black educational facilities. They give at least the same to their white alumni colleges/universities. Why not force them to do the same for their own?
Robert Johnson who built his empire with the support of blacks, yet use none of the billion he received from selling to the Jews to counter the negative aspects B.E.T. has spawned.
Man up, and say, NO to B.E.T.! Just turn the dial.

Develope a code of conduct for those blacks who work within the system that suppress us.
Make black cops, judges, lawyers comply withing black defined rules and expected parameters else, with hold future support when they come asking for support for their racial discrimination claims against their employers. It seems to me, the dispartity in black crimes/incarceration statistics are aided and abetted by our own blacks who work within the system. We see this in the recent shooting of an unarmed black man in New York.

In short, stop buying!
If you can't do without feeding the Hollywood Jews, then buy bootleg is you must, but make corporations do without your dollars.

Force your churches to get active and buy in bulk. Use them as a distribution point for collective purchasing power.
There are dozens of black churches in black communities. Use them, and stop allowing black preachers to use you.

Whatever it is, do something different then what you have been doing. As the statistics clearly show, that clearly is not working.

Whatbox
Member # 10819

quote:
Originally posted by meninarmer:
^Much more than Stockholm. Maybe a 500 year old superset variate.

The article is right on, and pinpoints the main reason worldwide blacks today are far worst off then yesterday. the wish for INTEGRATION.

The the 'West', along with its economic policies enforced by the animal that is its millitary Industrial copmlex is somewhat of a conscious and self-willed mechanism. ^With the mental 'matrix' built of propaganda that has attempted to assist this 'animal' in helping the West to consume the African via his mind, [i]who can be surprised, that after the demise of his old way of life that he'd seek to get with them in the West?

In actuality, IMO, it seems that the will to be autonomous has been steady growing.

Past just some the members of the 'Afrocentric' and 'Millitant black' communities.

Just saying, that just because many of initial 'revolutionaries' didn't have it in their plans for us to be autonomous in the end doesn't mean this isn't being talked about by Africans and African diasporans today. It danm sure doesn't mean there's no will.

Now what Doug said below is DEAD ON, (and pertains to some the destracters with perhaps hidden motives on the board):

quote:
The answer is to destroy the machinery and infrastructure of white supremacy. Period.

The problem is that many blacks don't want to believe that white supremacy exists and STILL has a major impact on the lives of black Africans world wide.

Hence, as a sign of this DENIAL, people say that blacks are COMPLAINING when they point out the complicity of whites in the destruction of black folks and their societies world wide.

No. That is not complaining. That is telling the truth. In fact, blacks SHOULD be complaining. MOST BLACKS are NOT COMPLAINING, which IS THE PROBLEM. They seem HAPPY with the situation facing blacks, from HIGH UNEMPLOYMENT, LOW WAGES, BLACK ON BLACK crime, NO OWNERSHIP of ANY MAJOR industries in ALL BLACK countries, NO CONTROL of WEALTH in BLACK COUNTRIES with VAST amounts of mineral wealth and so on. So yes COMPLAIN! YOU SHOULD COMPLAIN. Blacks did not come this far to live in the situation that they are in! That is SILLY.

Of course complaining by itself is not the SOLUTION, but as long as a LARGE number of blacks are COMPLACENT and DON'T SEE any reason to complain, there WONT BE any REASON for them to begin developing a solution.

That is the root of the problem. If EVERYONE does not SEE the same ENEMIES then they cannot HAVE the SAME solutions. Many are KEPT in denial through distractions: work-slavery, religion, eduction(brainwashing), entertainment and collecting superficial things. As long as they DENY the ACTIVE and CONTINUED presence of white supremacy, you can NEVER have an effective solution for DESTROYING IT. THIS is where the stockholm syndrome comes into play. If you IDENTIFY
with the oppressor then of course YOU WONT want to DESTROY them and their ability to DESTROY YOU.

^Doug, you meant [with], right?
Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yonis2 - Are there any real pathways for Black SA to integrate themselves into the economic life of the country? i.e. advancement through provided education, affirmative employment programs etc.
Posts: 22721 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akoben
Member # 15244

Rate Member
Yonis does not see collective "black" only Zulu, Xhosa etc
Yonis2
Member # 11348

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike111:
Yonis2 - Are there any real pathways for Black SA to integrate themselves into the economic life of the country? i.e. advancement through provided education, affirmative employment programs etc.

Yes their is, by working twice or three times harder than those holding the power.
Nothing can ever stop ambitious and hard working people, regardless how low you start.

That's why these focks attack other africans who work harder than them, they are jelouse because they are not as motivated as these africans. They simply expect to be served, for a reason only god knows.

akoben
Member # 15244

Rate Member
^ gross oversimplifiction of the problem, typical of self hating negros. they attack each other because the small pie is getting even smaller due to neo-liberal policies of the anc. all this is predictable. it cannot be about not wanting to work hard when there are no jobs to begin with. but dont worry, as soon as the pie gets smaller in sweden whites will attack you and your white lover. lol
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
quote:

That is the root of the problem. If EVERYONE does not SEE the same ENEMIES then they cannot HAVE the SAME solutions. Many are KEPT in denial through distractions: work-slavery, religion, eduction(brainwashing), entertainment and collecting superficial things. As long as they DENY the ACTIVE and CONTINUED presence of white supremacy, you can NEVER have an effective solution for DESTROYING IT. THIS is where the stockholm syndrome comes into play. If you IDENTIFY the oppressor then of course YOU WONT want to DESTROY them and their ability to DESTROY YOU.

In my opinion many things affecting us scuh as Black on Black crime is inherently OUR fault. Black people are now our biggest ememies. degrading and selfishness has become.."Hip". Intergrading ignorance into our culture has become acceptable in the Minds of black people world wide...so much so Blacks will claim..."Math...That Be da Whitmans sh@t"...LOL literally SPITTING on the faces of the Kemmou that erected the Pyramids, lined them up with Stars and fit them so perfect "DA WHITE MAN" is still in dissary and confusion as to how the Kemmou did what they did. Black people have ALLOWED ourselves to become degraded.

Many people will "Complain" about white racism but support them by buying their Fast Food, Clothing(Nike..ect) Jewlery, support their Music(Rap) ect. Instead of building legit. Bis. Blacks have stooped to wanting to make a quick buck...Popularizing Selling Drugs to each other, Popularizing Killing Each other, ect.

There is no leader to show us the way. Too many blacks want to foucs on the White man rather than the black man. a person has no power unless you give it to him.

Truthfully most black people will say the "Egyptians" were black but won't bother to understand what they did and stood for.

Lets just pray this "Dark Age" we are in passes soon.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com