EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Afrocentric Research Course

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Afrocentric Research Course
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have tried to teach young Afrocentric researchers that there is method and science in Afrocentrism but he failed to get the point. Years ago I recognized the need for young researchers to learn the science behind Afrocentrism because I, like most other Afrocentric scholars had to learn our research methods through deciphering the research method of the heroes of Afrocentric research: DuBois, J.A. Rogers, Parker and etc. The paper I wrote on this is below:

http://olmec98.net/Structure.htm

The idea that you can do research without using knowledge bases developed by European reseachers is ludicris. The major Afrocentric researchers have all been trained in a traditional social science discipline, There is nothing wrong with using this research—you just have to know how to interpret the data and understand the paradigms associated with the Afrocentric social science. Once you get this grounding in the field you can be a successful Afrocentric researcher.

I have taught research methods at Saint Xavier University and Governors State University for over a decade. Over the years I have developed an on-line Afrocentric research methods course.

If you are intersted in taking this course contact me offline. Below is the syllabus of the course.

• Uthman Dan Fodio Institute
    COURSE SYLLABUS

COURSE TITLE: The Afrocentric Researcher

COURSE NUMBER: 1012

CREDIT HOURS: 0

INSTRUCTOR: Dr. Clyde Winters

TRIMESTER: Fall ,Winter, Summer

Catalog Description:
    Students will explore the major research methods used to conduct Afrocentric research including, linguistic, anthropological and historical research methods.
    Provides students with a working knowledge of the literature and mechanisms of research, i.e., problem formulation, research design, data collection, data analysis, and interpretation. Students will develop research problems and select methods to study those problems and select methods to study those problems in the form of research proposals.
    Rationale:
    The course is designed to lead students to a research perspective so that they may effectively study Afrocentric problems and arrive at sensible solutions. The intent of the course is to make students critical consumers of historical, anthropological and linguistic research literatures and produce researchers capable of analyzing social science problems.

Expected Student Outcomes/Course Objectives:

Demonstrate the ability to use professionally acceptable techniques in analyzing and critiquing (Afrocentric & Eurocentric and ) historical, anthropological, and linguistic research and scholarship .

Upon completion of the course, the student should be able to:
    * Appraise the quality and utility of the literature of historical, and anthropological and to a limited extent linguistic research
    • Distinguish among selected research designs intended to provide answers to appropriate research problems.
    • Demonstrate the ability to independently explore areas of professional interest.
    • Explain the function and typical characteristics of instruments utilized in historical, and anthropological research.
    • Demonstrate the ability to frame problems, search for an evaluate relevant information using the latest technology for data retrieval.
    • Using stated research questions develop/propose and be able to defend appropriate research methods and procedures for data collection and analysis.
    • Explain the different validity and reliability issues that may arise in different types of approaches (i.e., experimental, quasi-experimental, descriptive, qualitative, or mixed qualitative).
    • Explain the purpose, suitability and /or utility of various quantitative, qualitative, or mixed methodologies.
    • Interpret the characteristics and uses of descriptive and inferential analysis techniques, and have experience in appropriate statistical procedures.
    • Be able to determine and address the ethical issues for a research proposal that includes human subjects.

Required Text:
    Winters, Clyde.A. , Research methods: Supplemental Exercises, 2007.
    Taurabian, Kate L., A Manual of Term Papers, Theses and Dissertations, Fourth Edition, The University of Chicago Press (Chicago and London), 1979.
    Instructional Activities:
    The main focus of the course will be the development of a research paper. The length of the paper will be 7-12 double spaced pages. The research paper will include the development of an abstract, introduction and problem statements, literature reviews, methodology sections (and defenses), (statistical analysis,) results and conclusions resulting from research findings.

A power point presentation will be developed by each student it will include a summary of the research proposal/paper. Each power point presentation should include at least 5 slides.

Complete two assigned critiques of published research. The instructor will assign one article. The second will be of an article of the student's choice .

Final Examination: Students will be provided data, which they will use to write a proposal for conducting the study and show how they will interpret the data. Students will present in their proposal: 1) hypothesis; 2) the type of study; 3) design; 4) major variables and 5) show work (standard deviation, means and t-test) in a neat and readable format (For rubric see page of Supplemental Exercises).

Evaluation:
    1. Power Point Presentation: 35 points

2. Research Paper: 95 points

Abstract 15
    Introduction and review of literature 25
    Methods outlines ( with defense) for assigned research question 25
    Research Results (Statistical analyses) 15
    Discussion and results section 15

3. Two Critiques (Research article ): 30 points

Each critique is valued at 15 points for a total of 30 points. One critique completed during email consultation the other individually.

3. Final Examination :
    8 points Hypothesis
    8 points Type of Study
    8 points Design
    8 points Major Variables
    8 points Show Work (t-test, chi square, etc.)

Therefore, each segment of the Final Examination is valued at 8 points for a total of 40 points.

Grading Scale:
    200 points total
    180-200 A
    160-179 B
    140-159 C
    120-139 D
    119 or below F

The Afrocentric Researcher

DATE TOPIC DUE READINGS FOR DATE
    Week 1 Syllabus
    Introduction to Research
    To be announced…….
    Week 2 Problem Statement Significance of study
    Review of Literature Problem Statement & Significance of Study
    Week 3 Hypothesis & Methods of citation
    Week 4 Review :Anthropological Research Methods Hypothesis
    Week 5 Review: Historical Research Methods
    Week 6 Review: Comparative & Historical Linguistic Research methods
    Week 7 Evaluating Research Papers/Articles
    Week 8 Review Instruments and tests
    Method of Data Collection Name of Article website you will review
    Week 9 Designs
    Introduction to Statistics and review of research procedures Need Calculator
    Week 10 Reporting Findings and organization of written research projects**( Final Examination ) Need Calculator
    Week 11 Work on Research Paper at Library
    Week 12 Discuss Research Paper via Email Paper
    Week 13 Conduct Library Research/Rewrite of Paper
    Week 14 Make Powerpoint Presentation Submit Paper
    Week 15 Write Reflection on Course/Discuss via email

Contact me off line if you want to take the course. Remember that course does not give College credit.

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clyde what is the first non-African culture?
Posts: 42940 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness:
Clyde what is the first non-African culture?

I believe it was Çatal Hüyük. I believe this civilization was created by Classical mongoloids.

Next would be the Zhou Dynasty of China

Finally the Classical Greek civilization

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com