EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Pre-Cal?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pre-Cal?
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody that posts on Egyptsearch familiar with Pre-Cal? If so tell me how different or similiar it is to College Algebra. Also, how difficult is Calculus?
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
Anybody that posts on Egyptsearch familiar with Pre-Cal? If so tell me how different or similiar it is to College Algebra. Also, how difficult is Calculus?

whats your major ausaur??? I have to take Pre-cal too...Ill ask some of my class mates with me in my studio.
Posts: 8806 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Calculus is difficult. That's why there's a pre-calc.
There's no engineering or advanced CompSci
without a formulaic kind of mathematics.

My advice, scant attention for the net, devotion to
attaining your real world goals and actualize your
ambitions.

DJ is a good case in point and shining example.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those who are adept in calculus usually show an aptitude in abstract thought.

It will be difficult for those who are NOT, hate to say it, left brain.

DJ is probably an art major. Not saying right brains aren't intelligent. oops!! Not saying he is intelligent either(LOL).

But some of us are just wired differently.

If you don't have the aptitude as Altk said only hard work can compensate.

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Go and suck your master's dick whoever he may be, and get back to work!! [Cool]
Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bro Dawud. Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! you always keep tripping me up YH. Stop this Chameleon thing.

Stop playing "Whom am I today?"

BTW my master(s) don't have a dick.. . .at least not a man one.

Yep! I bow to my little boy(2) and girl(4). the wife??? ah!

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am trying to go for a degree in pharmacy. Right know I am taking College Algebra which I love and to get accepted into a pharmacy program I have to have Pre-Cal,Calcus I. Possily I could skate by with just Business Cal.
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Pre-Cal is relatively simple but cal is not a simple if you are not into Pure Math.

Entry level Alegebra is also realatively simple. Been outta school a while but Cal can be really enjoyable once you get the hang of it.

The application "may" be a little simpler which I assume Pharmacist use to determine reaction.

--------------------
Without data you are just another person with an opinion - Deming

Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ausar - For once I have to agree with Mo - Your Professor is key. Many, and I had one, view the teaching of Calculus as an opportunity to show-off, (mathematicians don't get a lot of dates), so to some of them, this is the chance to show their style. If you get one of those, you will need to settle him down, so that he can actually teach you, instead of talking over your head.
Posts: 22721 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BigMo:
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:

I have taken Calculus I, II, & III, but since you're only thinking of Pre-Cal, you should have no problem. Egyptians are supposed to be the Smartest People in many fields. You can always get a Math Tutor, but most likely you'll not need one if you have a good instructor in school.

Good luck and hope you do well!

Allah Ma3ak!

Middle Eastern people are good at Math...one of the Tutors at my school was from Morrocco and was of Arab Moroccan decent rather than African Moroccan..but he was smart...too bad I could'nt understand what he was saying when he would tutor me....He was just as smart as my African American Professor... [Razz] [Razz]
Posts: 8806 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:

Calculus is difficult. That's why there's a pre-calc. There's no engineering or advanced CompSci
without a formulaic kind of mathematics. My advice, scant attention for the net, devotion to
attaining your real world goals and actualize your ambitions.

Pre-Cal is basically an intermediate level of math above college algebra and below calculus. It's slightly harder than college algebra but it uses much of the same math. So as long as you remember what you learned in college algebra but study the new stuff, you shouldn't have a problem. Calculus on the other hand is a whole nother game! I don't know if it's different in the state you live but here in GA, Cal is divided into 3 parts-- Cal 1, Cal 2, and Cal 3. Cal 1 is okay, as long as you're willing to memorize all the formulas involved in derivation and integration. But then Cal 2 is BEAST that wants to mutilate you before it devours you! Seriously, if you plan on taking Cal 2 make sure all your other courses are easy and require little to no homework or study cuz Cal 2 is NO JOKE!! If you survive Cal 2, Cal 3 is overall no more difficult than Cal 1.

I hope this helps.  -

Posts: 26307 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
$sonomod$
Member # 16818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for $sonomod$     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:

Calculus is difficult. That's why there's a pre-calc. There's no engineering or advanced CompSci
without a formulaic kind of mathematics. My advice, scant attention for the net, devotion to
attaining your real world goals and actualize your ambitions.

Pre-Cal is basically an intermediate level of math above college algebra and below calculus. It's slightly harder than college algebra but it uses much of the same math. So as long as you remember what you learned in college algebra but study the new stuff, you shouldn't have a problem. Calculus on the other hand is a whole nother game! I don't know if it's different in the state you live but here in GA, Cal is divided into 3 parts-- Cal 1, Cal 2, and Cal 3. Cal 1 is okay, as long as you're willing to memorize all the formulas involved in derivation and integration. But then Cal 2 is BEAST that wants to mutilate you before it devours you! Seriously, if you plan on taking Cal 2 make sure all your other courses are easy and require little to no homework or study cuz Cal 2 is NO JOKE!! If you survive Cal 2, Cal 3 is overall no more difficult than Cal 1.

I hope this helps.  -

pre-cal at community college is a walk in the park, so they combined it with trig. Best idea ever.

There is cal 1 &2 and those do not transfer to university which a cal 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Electrical engineeering and physics require all calculus courses at the U of M. which is why most of their students are from China. [Roll Eyes]

Pre-cal I know is a math elective that will transfer easier than other math electives.

I didn't take pre-cal, I took statistics, and took statistics twice because I transfered; if I took pre-cal I wouldn't have to take it again after transfering.

Posts: 514 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's pretty much exactly as Deej and Sono described it.

I don't remember too much of Pre-Calc because in my high it was conjoined with Trig in prep for our Calc course.

Calculus 1 in my opinion was easy but i think this was so because i tried to stay ahead of the game.

Two is definitely **hard** in comparison, it only goes uphill from one. Here's a good site i found after the fact, last time i checked it had only beginning calc stuff (Calc 1) -- when you thru pre-Calc and get to Calc 1 it should become useful.

http://www.calculus-help.com/funstuff/phobe.html

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com