EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Ancient Egyptian Grand Processions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ancient Egyptian Grand Processions
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
O.K lets particularly focus on the Tributary, Millitary/P.O.W, Religious Festival Processions in Ancient Egypt. Also could any one who reads Heiroglyphs please tell me who some of the people depicted are.. Any way here goes the fun.

From the label this one seems to be a Royal Funarary procession for a Scribe:

-
 -

Kushite Tributary Procession
 -

-

-

-

-

-

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Apocalypse
Member # 8587

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Apocalypse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautiful feast of the Valley celebrated in Waset:

-

Posts: 1038 | From: Franklin Park, NJ | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If anyone of you guys read hieroglyphs or know who these following people are please Help a brother out LOL...Seriously I think they represent maybe some Southern European Minoans by their dress or either they are Asiatic??

Anyway...
 -

Looks like some Minoans, The Darker ones have Ivory so maybe they are from the Southern Nile Valley but some Dress simular to the Mionians could they be Minoan Kushites?

More
 -

Then again these Asiatics or Minoans have Ivory too??
[Confused]
 -

-

Asiatic Tributary Procession
 -

-

More Tributary Processions
 -

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jari-Ankhamun:

-

On the left hand side, the writing cluster on the top, from what I can make out, reads as: kmtj (kmty) [with a "walking" determinant] or else, if one were to take the sign preceding the bird-like figure therein, as a bar [as opposed to a dividing line], then it could be something along the lines of skmtj (skmty) [again, with "walking" determinant]. the former seems to make more sense to me, but I cannot be sure, due to obvious damages on the reliefs, and the inadequate resolution of the image. Could it be an expression for voyage to Kemet? Worth investigating.
Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Royal Processions
 -

-

-
Millitary Procession
 -

-

-

Egyptian Party
 -

Tributary procession
 -

-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Asiatic Procession: Notice its not the White Washed Asiatic on Eurocentric sites..
 -

-

More: An Expidition

-

More
 -

-

Doctoris Scientia
Member # 17454

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doctoris Scientia         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jari-Ankhamun:
If anyone of you guys read hieroglyphs or know who these following people are please Help a brother out LOL...Seriously I think they represent maybe some Southern European Minoans by their dress or either they are Asiatic??

Anyway...
 -

Looks like some Minoans, The Darker ones have Ivory so maybe they are from the Southern Nile Valley but some Dress simular to the Mionians could they be Minoan Kushites?

More
 -

Then again these Asiatics or Minoans have Ivory too??
[Confused]
 -

-

Asiatic Tributary Procession
 -

-

More Tributary Processions
 -

Yes those peoples depicted in the above murals I believe are Minoan, including the more darker individuals.

Does anybody have any information on the Minoan population, i.e. genetically, etc?

I saw another mural on Mind over Matters site with the same "Nilotic" looking Minoans.

Posts: 341 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctoris Scientia
Member # 17454

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doctoris Scientia         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ FYI,

I'm talking about the pictures excluding those bottom black and white photo's whom I believe are in repersentation of Levanti peoples.

--------------------
Doctoris Scientia

Posts: 341 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeri do you have access to the originals? as it is a very good fit with this and tends to disprove the claim of some that the very dark skinned types represents mercenaries and where would an island people get Baboons,Cheetahs and Ivories like you pointed out.

-
 -

Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
After searching for while I believe they are representations of a scene from the Tome of Rekhmire-
http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/rekhmire.htm
While it may be non-royal, the tomb of Rekhmire (TT 100) is one of the most interesting on the West Bank at Luxor (ancient Thebes). Located on the southeastern slope of the Sheikh Abd el-Qurna hill, it is one of the largest of the private tombs.

Rekhmire was a vizier, the highest ranking official under the pharaohs Tuthmosis III and Amenophis II during a period when Egypt's empire stretched to its farthest extent and was at the peek of her prosperity. We find that his great grandfather and grandfather also were also viziers. He was responsible for the area of Egypt extending from Aswan north to Assiut. In addition, he was also the mayor of Thebes and the Steward of the Temple of Amun at the Karnak Complex. The explanation of his duties as a vizier found within his tomb is one of the most important administrative texts of the New Kingdom. Except for a brief mention on an ostracon and papyrus, all that we know of Rekhmire comes from his tomb.

The tomb was entered at lest twice within a hundred years of Rekhmire's burial by robbers, who carried off most of its content. The first westerner to explore the tomb was Frederic Caillaud, a Frenchman who copied some of its scenes of daily life between 1819 and 1822. There color paintings were published in 1831. The importance of the tomb is evidenced by a stream of later travelers, including Sir Gardiner Wilkinson (1825), Champollion and Rossellini (1828), Bonomi (1832) and Hoskins (1832).

Like most private tombs, Rekhmire's is fairly simple, consisting of a courtyard leading into a vestibule that is 20 meters in length (66 feet) and then a long chapel that is 25 meters in length (82 feet). The chapel is certainly the most interesting part of the tomb, with a ceiling that is three meters (10 feet) at its entrance but rises to eight meters (27 feet) at its rear. It therefore provides some 300 square meters of space for the fine decorative program. Interestingly, there is no ritual shaft to be found in the tomb, leading archaeologists to believe that Rekhmire was never buried in this tomb, but rather in a yet unknown tomb in the Valley of the Kings.

The decorative program begins in the vestibule with an archaic style similar to Middle Kingdom tombs, and extends into the chapel where the work is exceptional. Multiple themes deal with common elements found in tombs, including the Opening of the Mouth ritual and the Beautiful Feast of the Valley festival, but also include absolutely unique scenes, giving us a complete and detailed account of many aspects of daily life. These paintings also have a high state of preservation with good color.

Upon entering the vestibule, the wall to the left (southwestern) we find in five registers scenes depicting the products of Upper Egypt, including text describing the goods. On the next wall (western) is found autobiographical text, describing his duties as a vizier and providing us with one hundred of his other titles. Then on the northwestern wall there are scenes depicting the tributes paid to Egypt by foreign countries. The tributes are divided into five groups of items, which are then recorded by scribes. These groups include:

* The people of Punt who bring incense trees, baboons, monkeys and animal hides.
* The people of Kefti (probably Crete), carrying pots and cubs.
* The Kushites (Nubians) who bring animals of equatorial Africa (giraffes, leopards, baboons, monkeys and dogs), offering ivory, animal hides and gold.
* The Retenus or Syrians, who bring pots, carts and weapons, along with various animals (horses, a bear and an elephant).
* The fifth group consists of people from various lands.

On the eastern side of the southern wall, we find Rekhmire, who's image is lost, inspecting tributes from Lower Egypt, along with the workshops of the craftsmen working in the temples. On the eastern wall are scenes depicting several of Rekhmire's relatives, while on the eastern side of the northern wall we find products coming from the Egypt's Mediterranean coast, along with scenes of winemaking, fishing and hunting.

While the quality of work in the Chapel is outstanding, regrettably, the ceiling is so high that it is difficult for tourists to see the decorations on the upper part of the chamber at its rear. Entering the Chapel, we find on the western wall six registers with scenes of Rekhmire supervising the gathering and preparation of food stuffs allotted to the temple. Next, there are eight registers with scenes representing the types of labor carried out by craftsmen who worked for Amun's temple. These include potters, carpenters, decorators, goldsmiths, sculptors and masons.

Next, there is a series of ten registers. These show the actual funeral procession heading for the necropolis, the installation of obelisks, nine of Rekhmire's friends hauling the catafalque, a pilgrimage to Abydos, the cleansing of the deceased and a dance scene with the ritual slaughter of animals.

The back wall of the chapel has a niche high above the floor which once held a stele, now to be found in the Louvre Museum. Below the niche is a false door. This decorative element that dates back to the Old Kingdom symbolically leads to the Afterworld. There is also a scene of Rekhmire bowing before Osiris while his son, Menkeperreseneb, gives his father and Merit, his mother, offerings. Texts provides the formulas of the offerings.

On the long, eastern wall of the chapel we first find paintings of three of Rekhmire's sons, including Menkeperreseneb, Amenophis and Senusert, in the presence of Rekhmire and Merit. Next are ten registers which sown rites carried out in front of a statue of Rekhmire, including the ritual slaughter of animals, the cleansing of the deceased, preparation of food.

Next comes a wonderful painting, in ten registers, showing the funeral banquet. This is probably the best artistic work in the tomb. Here, both male and female musicians wear bright clothes and play diverse instruments including lutes, tambourines, flutes, harps and castanets. The guests sit on mats while they are served their meal. We also see the deceased's sons and daughters offering wreaths of flowers to Rekhmire and his wife.

The last scenes on the eastern wall portray Rekhmire taking a boat journey in order to receive a high decoration from the Pharaoh, Amenophis II. Again, we also find his son presenting him with flowers, along with dignitaries and petitioners being granted an audience with Rekhmire as a vizier.

Again, this is one of the finest private tombs on the West Bank at Luxor, and the artwork throughout the tomb highlights the extraordinary talent of the craftsmen and artists who who built it.

-

Bob_01
Member # 15687

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob_01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jari, can you cite the source? I may be able to pick it up. The electronic counterpart could be available, which I could easily upload.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another excellent thread I wish was on EGYPTOLOGY forum
Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Bob101-Here is the Link
http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/dgkeysearchresult.cfm?num=240&word=Ancient%20Egypt&s=1¬word=&d=&c=&f=&k=0&lWord=&lField=&sScope=&sLevel=&sLabel=&imgs=20&pNum=

Its a Digital Library so I doubt it-Im gonna try to research the Rehmire Tomb.

Al-Takruri-My Bad man.

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder what happened to these black Aegean populations?

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
A focus on Puntite Tributary

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Truthcentric:
I wonder what happened to these black Aegean populations?

My guess is the became absorbed into the population.
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
I have some pics of Human scale models bringing the tribute but other than about 4 0r 5 I can't find any other processions so my next focus will be on Egyptian Festivals/Parties and Musicians...I will upload very soon.
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MenKheperReSeneb is also
another good source for a
tribute scene of Retjenu

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roseofarchaeology
Member # 23027

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for roseofarchaeology     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have just studied the Tomb of Rekhmire in my ancient civilisations module at university and this is where this funerary procession painting is from. He was an advisor to two Pharaohs in the 18th dynasty. It is a very interesting painting because there are two phases to the paintings, which are probably due to changes in Pharaoh. The unusual aspects of the paintings are the Aegean (Greek) like pottery vessels pictured which do not contain many of the typical Aegean features, suggesting that the Egyptians at the time, adapted the style to suit them. The other interesting aspect is that there are two different styles of kilt painted, one a more traditional Egyptian kilt and the second is a Greek-style kilt which was found in both mainland Greece and also in Crete around this time. This is a majorly interesting and important piece of Egyptian art when looking at how different cultures around the world interacted with each other.
Posts: 1 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Feb 2019  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com