EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Sooo About African Americans & West Africa - Tre's Theory

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sooo About African Americans & West Africa - Tre's Theory
Big O
N/A
Member # 23467

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big O   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I proposed this on Egyptsearch reloaded years ago, and no one could answer this question. The Mod over there even gave me props on pointing this inconsistency out. You all know that I have my stances....In this situation however I would like for someone to explain why this may be, and MAKE SENSE. I will fight back on this if the explanations do not make sense. Meaning I don't want explanations for the sake explanations or some loyalty to a narrative. Keita stated that it takes OVER 15,000 years to begin to adapt to a new climatic situation. That being said, I'm not buying the 400 year RAPID adaptation theory. Are there any studies on our DIETS that may explain this situation?

"In comparison to the regions where Bantu Africans inhabit (who are also "Niger Congo speakers) West Africans do in fact have a notably higher prevalence of lactose tolerance;

-
Stanford University

-

-

-

-

"The ancestry of African Americans is predominantly from Niger-Kordofanian (~71%), European (~13%), and other African (~8%) populations, although admixture levels varied considerably among individuals." - Tishkoff 2009

So if 84% of the African American/FBA's ancestry is from peoples who can tolerate lactose then how in the Hell can we as a whole we extremely lactose intolerant? That doesn't make any sense AT ALL. Unless we are a different Branch of the Niger-Congo family that people are not accounting for. It almost appears as though the "African American/FBA is more related the Bantu branch of Southern Africa in this regard.

--------------------
N/A

Posts: 266 | From: N/A | Registered: Sep 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thereal
Member # 22452

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thereal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting? I recall Xyyman pointing that out with regards to Black folks in Latin America than North America.
Posts: 1123 | From: New York | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Big O:

84% of the African American/FBA's ancestry is from peoples who can tolerate lactose

No

https://tinyurl.com/2p8sjeyd

LANCET
Country, regional, and global estimates for lactose malabsorption in adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis
Christian Lψvold Storhaug

The studies included data from 89 countries, which covers 84% of the world's population. When standardising for country size, the global prevalence of lactose malabsorption was 68% (95% CI 64–72; appendix pp 8–12). When excluding secondary sources, the estimate was 67% (61–72) based on data from 81 countries, covering about 81% of the world's population. The frequency varied widely between countries (figure 2). The regional prevalence was 64% (54–74) in Asia (except Middle East), 47% (33–61) in eastern Europe, Russia, and former Soviet Republics, 38% (CI 18–57) in Latin America, 70% (57–83) in the Middle East, 66% (45–88) in northern Africa, 42% (13–71) in northern America, 45% (19–71) in Oceania, 63% (54–72) in sub-Saharan Africa

Lactose malabsorption was also widespread in Africa including northern Africa (53–84%) and sub-Saharan Africa (77–100%), with the exception of Niger (13%), Kenya (39%), Sudan (55%), and Tanzania (45%).

Posts: 42918 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big O
N/A
Member # 23467

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big O   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^ Lioness you didn't look clearly at those maps. That figure is consistent with the distinction noted between Bantu (Lactose intolerant) and the West African peoples whom WE (FBA's/ADOS) are said to have came from primarily. This study did not breakdown Africans into those specific sub regions. So nothing in this study is inconsistent with what was stated above.

--------------------
N/A

Posts: 266 | From: N/A | Registered: Sep 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Big O:
^^^ Lioness you didn't look clearly at those maps. That figure is consistent with the distinction noted between Bantu (Lactose intolerant) and the West African peoples whom WE (FBA's/ADOS) are said to have came from primarily. This study did not breakdown Africans into those specific sub regions. So nothing in this study is inconsistent with what was stated above.

-

Niger-Kordofanian language speakers, orange

-
https://tinyurl.com/2p8sjeyd

Summary
Background
Studies have shown wide variation in the prevalence of lactose malabsorption across the world, but no systematic reviews or meta-analyses have recently assessed the prevalence of lactose malabsorption in different geographical areas. We aimed to present an updated systematic review and meta-analysis on the prevalence of lactose malabsorption in adults, by countries and regions, and to assess the variation between different testing methods.

Britannica
uses same source, meta analysis article above
compiling data from many studies

Lactose Intolerance

Ghana 100%

Nigeria 87%

Cameroon 89%

Senegal 79%

Gabon 93%

Niger 13%

Democratic Republic of the Congo 95%

Angola 94%

Republic of Congo 93%

https://milk.procon.org/lactose-intolerance-by-country/

I highlight Niger (13%) because it's the low percentage exception that brings down the average for West Africa a little.
Also notice, though lactose intolerance in West Africa is quite high
it's even higher in West Central Africa to the south

Then going east, Sudan, Tanzania and Kenya, instead notably lower
55, 45 and 39%

Maasai, Borani, Fulani and Tuareg have a strong
historic dairy tradition.

The highest milk producing countries in Africa are Ethiopia, Kenya, South Africa, and Sudan.

Posts: 42918 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big O
N/A
Member # 23467

Rate Member
^^ Thanks for the reference. Upon further research that went into the ethnic groups of these nations, it appears that the nomadic Fulani are primary peoples carrying this tolerance for lactose throughout Western African. Now while they were apart of the slave trade they were not more represented then say the Igbo or Yoruba, who are intolerant of lactose. Now while I did not go into every ethnic group (due to a lack of data) it appears that the distinction that I saw from the maps above did not take into account the genetic diversity of the region.

It is strange how three of those maps (including the one from Standard) only show that 30% of Nigeria for example are lactose intolerant. Igbo and Yoruba make up 30% combine, and Hausa's make up 30% (65% are lactose intolerant), so who was sampled in these studies? Fulani only make up 6% of Nigeria's population though..., and the Nilo Saharans in the Northeast are have a miniscule share of the population as well. Most of the ethnic groups are NC speakers. So the three largest groups are overwhelmingly (90% collectively) lactose intolerance. That's not even including the Fulani and the Nilo Saharans whom would push that to over 7/10ths of the population. The rest were smaller groups, mostly NC speakers. Who did they sample for these rather consistent results?

--------------------
N/A

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Yes, some of the maps may be inaccurate or doing averages over large regions. You have to look at a particular country for more accuracy, percentages rather than maps (but reliable data is not available on some countries)
And like you said one of the famous ethnic groups, some of them are only a small percentage of a population.
Then also looking at the history of cattle herding and milk drinking in places in Africa. (sometimes in fermented thick liquid yogurt-like forms)

According to the above Ghana is 100% lactose intolerant. That seemed kind of extreme. I saw one source, maybe from the 70s or 80s.
It was saying 88% but that is still pretty high

List of countries by milk consumption per capita

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_milk_consumption_per_capita

the African country with
highest consumption is
Sudan at #49 out of 177 countries of the world
Algeria #59
Botswana #71

^^ top 3

The Sudanese history of using milk dated back to 5000 years ago. Strong evidence proved that people of Meroe Kingdom (690 BC-D 323) may know how to ferment cow milk (Abdel Gadir et al., 1998).

https://scialert.net/fulltext/?doi=ijds.2011.227.245

Big O
N/A
Member # 23467

Rate Member
^^ Good points.

--------------------
N/A

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com