EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » The Origin of Black American Culture and Ebonics | Thomas Sowell

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Origin of Black American Culture and Ebonics | Thomas Sowell
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT4NQ9D0M6w&t=2659s

The Origin of Black American Culture and Ebonics | Thomas Sowell

interesting video documentary on the Southern white "redneck" cultural influence on black culture and it's has roots in Scotland according to Thomas Sowell

Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askia_The_Great     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bogus revisionism. Black American southern culture influenced White "redneck" culture. Not the other way around. Yea fried chicken has roots in Europe but that's about it... Ebonics? Especially African-American Vernacular? Ridiculous
Posts: 1891 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Askia_The_Great:
[QB] Bogus revisionism. Black American southern culture influenced White "redneck" culture. Not the other way around.

so black people from Africa introduced "redneck" and "cracker" to the South, ok
Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thereal
Member # 22452

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thereal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It might be from a PBS program but "redneck" and "cracker" are suppose to describe whites that did manual work getting "red" from the sun and the latter being a slave driver cracking his whip forcing or scaring enslaved African people.
Posts: 1123 | From: New York | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askia_The_Great     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
so black people from Africa introduced "redneck" and "cracker" to the South, ok [/QB]

Point me to where I said that. Lmfao...
Posts: 1891 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Black people stepped off the slave ships and took on, by force and circumstance, European culture and mixed it with their own.
The predominant culture of the original Southern states was English. The majority of early English settlers were indentured servants, who gained freedom after working off their passage. In the mid to late 18th century, large groups of Ulster Scots and people from the Anglo-Scottish border region immigrated and settled in the back country of Appalachia and the Piedmont. They were the largest group of non-English immigrants from the British Isles before the American Revolution. In the 1980 Census, 34% of Southerners reported that they were of English ancestry

So this was the culture, people and classes from particular places in England and Scotland mainly, the culture and language that Africans were forced to adopt.
At a certain point less slaves were imported and more born in the U.S. who would have never set foot on Africa

zarahan aka Enrique Cardova
Member # 15718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zarahan aka Enrique Cardova     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well what about violence? Were the white rednecks "role models" for the so-called "black on black" urban gang violence
we see today?

--------------------
Note: I am not an "Egyptologist" as claimed by some still bitter, defeated, trolls creating fake profiles and posts elsewhere. Hapless losers, you still fail. My output of hard data debunking racist nonsense has actually INCREASED since you began..

Posts: 5905 | From: The Hammer | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by zarahan aka Enrique Cardova:
Well what about violence? Were the white rednecks "role models" for the so-called "black on black" urban gang violence
we see today?

The Origin of Pride And Violence In Black American Culture | Thomas Sowell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT1VOZnhHFc&t=2028s

^^ this is shorter and overlaps a lot of the main video in the OP which has more detail

Member # 15718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zarahan aka Enrique Cardova     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So you are telling me it was white people that pioneered an early version of
"gangsta" or "thug life" sub-culture which SOME urban blacks today seem to follow?

--------------------
Note: I am not an "Egyptologist" as claimed by some still bitter, defeated, trolls creating fake profiles and posts elsewhere. Hapless losers, you still fail. My output of hard data debunking racist nonsense has actually INCREASED since you began..

Posts: 5905 | From: The Hammer | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
"gangsta" or "thug life" sub-culture which SOME urban blacks today seem to follow?

If you watch the video, the first one in the OP is better people in some of these rural Scot and English places would shoot people who dissed over "honor" and this migrating to the south.
Come on zarahan. I'm thinking you might be playing dumb, acting surprised but actually watched this stuff since you used to bring up Thomas Sowell back in the day. The argument is laid out with a lot of details. I haven't made up my mind about it or not

-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you actually study the structure/words of AAVE it is very similar to dialects that were spoken in rural parts of England. Many scholars have studied it, Thomas Sowell is just rehashing what many historians already know.

quote:
Originally posted by Askia_The_Great:
Bogus revisionism. Black American southern culture influenced White "redneck" culture. Not the other way around. Yea fried chicken has roots in Europe but that's about it... Ebonics? Especially African-American Vernacular? Ridiculous

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Certain Whites practiced a form of blood honor-killings, in which they would revenge kill anyone who dishonored their family, making a long story short it was almost an obligation for a male member of the family to revenge the death of a dishonored/murdered family member, causing a cycle of violence and poverty. the Scots-Irish probably the most influential ethnic group on white-America were notorious for this.

Alot of folk country music/redneck culture is rife with this type of violence, and yeah its very similar to thug culture in AAs.

quote:

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 15718

Hmm, based on the above than its white people who were the pioneers
of "gangsta" culture in the US. Said redneck" culture must have had
the same violent, emotional, hair-trigger stress on perceived "disses"
or insults, revenge, retaliation, etc. Now that you mention it- a web link found
also seems to indicate "redneck" culture being heavy on trash talk, and the Irish
or lower-class English derived "flash talk" full of profanity and vulgarity.

But what would be some examples of redneck derived expressions?

And why do many people seem to think that such is a "black thing"?

Link:
"Most untuneful of all, in Defoe's view, was the modish fad among young gentlemen for flash talk littered with oaths and swearing.42 When speech was littered with ‘cursory oaths, curses, Execrations, Imprecations, [and] Asservations’, Defoe argued, speech was rendered unpleasant, but when it became normal to ‘call men Sons of Bitches, and Dogs, Sons of Whores’, speech was also made nonsensical.43 "
https://www.euppublishing.com/doi/full/10.3366/cult.2020.0206

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
[QB] Hmm, based on the above...

no based on watching the video

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com