EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Kemet » OXFORD UNIVERSITY: Ancient Egyptians Were "Black" by Modern American Standards

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OXFORD UNIVERSITY: Ancient Egyptians Were "Black" by Modern American Standards
Tazarah
Why are you stalking my social media?
Member # 23365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tazarah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know if anyone here is already aware of this source but I thought I'd post it.

"Physical anthropologists are increasingly concluding that racial definitions are the culturally defined product of selective perception and should be replaced in biological terms by the study of populations and dines. Consequently, any characterization of the race of the ancient Egyptians depends on modern cultural definitions, not scientific study. Thus, by modern American standards it is reasonable to characterize the Egyptians as "black," while acknowledging the scientific evidence for the physical diversity of Africans."

"The Oxford Encyclopedia of Ancient Egypt, Volume 3" by Donald B. Redford, page 28 (2001) Oxford University Press

https://www.scribd.com/doc/111594223/The-Oxford-Encyclopedia-of-Ancient-Egypt-Vol-3

Posts: 2525 | From: North America | Registered: Mar 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is a really cool finding. Surprised Donald Redford was the one who wrote it, though, given he's the guy who wrote From Slave to Pharaoh: The Black Experience of Ancient Egypt (with "black" referring strictly to "Nubian" Sudanese populations in this case).

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7082 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zarahan aka Enrique Cardova
Member # 15718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zarahan aka Enrique Cardova     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tazarah:
Don't know if anyone here is already aware of this source but I thought I'd post it.

"Physical anthropologists are increasingly concluding that racial definitions are the culturally defined product of selective perception and should be replaced in biological terms by the study of populations and dines. Consequently, any characterization of the race of the ancient Egyptians depends on modern cultural definitions, not scientific study. Thus, by modern American standards it is reasonable to characterize the Egyptians as "black," while acknowledging the scientific evidence for the physical diversity of Africans."

"The Oxford Encyclopedia of Ancient Egypt, Volume 3" by Donald B. Redford, page 28 (2001) Oxford University Press

https://www.scribd.com/doc/111594223/The-Oxford-Encyclopedia-of-Ancient-Egypt-Vol-3

Good info. Discussed a number of times on Reloaded and ES.

-

https://egyptsearchreloaded.proboards.com/post/13595

The primary case for a "black" Egypt, or more accurately Ancient Egypt as an
African bio-historical entity, of course, does not rest on social constructs,
as many would like to limit the case to. Social constructs however
are a legitimate part of the background mix.

--------------------
Note: I am not an "Egyptologist" as claimed by some still bitter, defeated, trolls creating fake profiles and posts elsewhere. Hapless losers, you still fail. My output of hard data debunking racist nonsense has actually INCREASED since you began..

Posts: 5905 | From: The Hammer | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tazarah
Member # 23365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tazarah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@BrandonP

I remember when debating a eurocentric a little while back, he tried his best to ignore this Oxford source and claim it wasn't credible because he felt that the author (Redford) had allegedly written something in the past about the ancient egyptians being caucasian or something like that... perhaps it's the book that you just mentioned?

Regardless, Oxford University would not have allowed this information to be published if it wasn't based on actual evidence.

Posts: 2525 | From: North America | Registered: Mar 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tazarah
Member # 23365

@zarahan aka Enrique Cardova

Thank you for that info, but this source is definitely a dagger to all eurocentrics regardless of how they try to twist or spin it. It says by modern american standards, it's reasonable to characterize the ancient Egyptians as black.

The source comes from the year 2001, so anyone who tries to claim that "black" according to modern american standards isn't speaking specifically about "african american" or "negro" people is simply delusional.

I'm not entirely sure how "mixed" race people (caucasian/black) go about filling out their census or job application information, but if you were to gather all of the people who selected "black/african american" as their race on of those documents into a single location, the vast, vast majority of those people would be "negro" (for lack of better word) people who look like they came straight from the coast of West Africa.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com