EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Egyptian Radio Volunteers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Egyptian Radio Volunteers
Gary BBC
Member # 4210

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gary BBC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone

I'm looking for Egyptian volunteers to take part in a BBC radio programme for Egypt.

It's a programme about learning English. I need volunteers to do a couple of things (for example: take part in a short language quiz, talk about their favourite western music).

You will either be in London so you can come to our studio near Covent Garden - or we will contact you by telephone.

If you'd like to take part, please leave a message here - or send an email to:

Thanks a lot.
gary

[This message has been edited by Gary BBC (edited 28 April 2005).]

Posts: 13 | From: UK London - Egypt Cairo | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farhana
Member # 3795

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Farhana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Gary,
What age group are you looking for, i know a few Egyptians in London that could be interested. Pls give more details. Also, when you say 'Egyptian volunteers' are you referring to students etc.. English as a second language? Thanks

Posts: 606 | From: London, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary BBC
Member # 4210

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Gary BBC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello - Thanks for your note.

Age group: we're thinking about young adults 18-40. So students would be ideal!

The programme is for English learners in Egypt - and will be in Egyptian (or modern standard Arabic) and English. One thing I'm looking for is people to take part in a short English language quiz - so, yes, those people will speak English as a second language - otherwise it will be too easy!

The programme is quite short - and it's just about having a bit of fun ... so there won't be any serious prizes.

If you want to know any more, send me an email and I can arrange to call you. Please encourage your student friends to get in touch - they sound ideal!

Thanks again
gary

Posts: 13 | From: UK London - Egypt Cairo | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary BBC
Member # 4210

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gary BBC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Farhana:
Hi Gary,
What age group are you looking for, i know a few Egyptians in London that could be interested. Pls give more details. Also, when you say 'Egyptian volunteers' are you referring to students etc.. English as a second language? Thanks

Hi Farhana - you disappeared, but I am looking forward to hearing from you again. I am finding it very hard to find Egyptians in London ... our radio programme will be fun - and it will be very easy!

Get in touch!
gary

Troubles101
Member # 4543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troubles101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gary, if this happen I would like to be told about the time of this programme.You got me intersted and i would love to hear it.
Posts: 1732 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary BBC
Member # 4210

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles101:
Gary, if this happen I would like to be told about the time of this programme.You got me intersted and i would love to hear it.

Great! Are you in Egypt? I was in Cairo till the beginning of May. These programmes will not be broadcast: we are making test programmes for Egyptian radio. The BBC Arabic Service carries some of our English-teaching programmes now.

If you're in London - you could be our first volunteer!
gary

Troubles101
Member # 4543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troubles101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Gary, No i'm sorry i'm not in London, I'm in cairo plus my english is really bad.anyway I wish you find some Egyptians in London.perhaps some members here can suggest other forums where you can find Egyptians there.

BTW,how did you find Egypt during your visit?and do we ever get to hear you on BBC arabic?

quote:
Originally posted by Gary BBC:
Great! Are you in Egypt? I was in Cairo till the beginning of May. These programmes will not be broadcast: we are making test programmes for Egyptian radio. The BBC Arabic Service carries some of our English-teaching programmes now.

If you're in London - you could be our first volunteer!
gary

Posts: 1732 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary BBC
Member # 4210

Rate Member
Well, I think your english on this website is very good! I think you are exactly the kind of person our programme is for.

I have still not found any Egyptians in London - they are obviously hiding from me!

If anyone knows Egyptians in London, please tell me - or ask them to contact me!

I really enjoyed my stay in Cairo. In England during February and March it can be very cold and wet. So I enjoyed sending SMS messages to my friends in London when I was sitting beside the pool at the Gezira club! I don't know whether I will be coming back to Cairo :-(

I think you can hear English teaching programmes if you listen to the BBC Arabic Service. It is on medium wave in Cairo (639 kHz I think) - but you won't hear me there very often! I have presented some programmes, but not in Arabic! Later we are hoping to broadcast on an FM station in Cairo, but we are still negotiating with a local partner.

Best wishes. Hope it's not too hot in Egypt right now.
gary

akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gary BBC:
Well, I think your english on this website is very good! I think you are exactly the kind of person our programme is for.

I have still not found any Egyptians in London - they are obviously hiding from me!

If anyone knows Egyptians in London, please tell me - or ask them to contact me! (here: or gary.stevens@bbc.co.uk)

I really enjoyed my stay in Cairo. In England during February and March it can be very cold and wet. So I enjoyed sending SMS messages to my friends in London when I was sitting beside the pool at the Gezira club! I don't know whether I will be coming back to Cairo :-(

I think you can hear English teaching programmes if you listen to the BBC Arabic Service. It is on medium wave in Cairo (639 kHz I think) - but you won't hear me there very often! I have presented some programmes, but not in Arabic! Later we are hoping to broadcast on an FM station in Cairo, but we are still negotiating with a local partner.

Best wishes. Hope it's not too hot in Egypt right now.
gary

Why not try the various Arabic schools, Middle Eastern shops and resturants to contact your Egyptians.

Edgeware Road has to be a good spot.I would have thoguht an advert there would have been worth it.

The International School of London, Gunnersbury Avenue, West london certainly had Egyptians in it when my daughter was at school there 2 years ago.

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary BBC
Member # 4210

Rate Member
those are very good ideas ... but they will take a bit longer ... I was hoping a whole crowd of young egyptians would introduce themselves to me as a result of my posting here!

My hairdresser is in Edgware Road - but is Italian/English not Arabic!

thanks for the suggestion.
gary

Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gary,

Why don't you call the foreign student advisors at some of the local universities and colleges. They might be able to help you with your search.

Laura

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary BBC
Member # 4210

Rate Member

thanks! I will also try the Egyptian Society in London (mentioned above).
g

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com