EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Moving to Alexandria

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Moving to Alexandria
IslandSha
Member # 5164

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for IslandSha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

My husband and I found out today that we will be living in Alexandria for the next year. I am at a loss at where to start with the planning. I'm not sure whether to ship some personal type things or just buy everything and start over.

Suggestions on where to start??

Posts: 25 | From: Christianstand, St. Croix | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LiveItUp
Member # 4811

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LiveItUp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
You can buy almost everything at the new grocery stores, and malls. I made mistake to aircargo over 5 huge warddrobe sized costly, cartons of items from wipes, DVD player, shampoos etc., sheets, towels, you can get all of this here(Carrefour store in Alexandria. I do recommend bringing any medicines you are used to; ex: childrens tylenol, peptobismol,tylenol, off spray,
clinique moisturiser, these I have not seen and if you do they are a bit more expensive here. Books if you read are hard to find and very costly. I brought my childrens fav. toys, educational bks, etc don't regret that. Glad I brought my portable DVD player! Bring your favorite can't part w/items. You can convert to wattage here on most items-your VCR/DVD. You can find all electronics, etc. shopping needs at all the grocery stores as well as market places. I'm glad I brought my good quality bedspread, sheets here. Some nice clothing stores but I brought all my clothes and glad I did, diff. styles & prices vary. No real great bargains like a markdown in USA. So bring makeup you may not find here, Clinique, Estee Lauder if that's your thing, I know the above pharmacy type things are cheaper over there at WAlMart,,so stalk up on those and your favorite blankets, entertainment games, DVD's, CD's etc. I am so glad I brought my movies and music!!

Posts: 395 | From: Whereever I go | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Micia
Member # 2907

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Micia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there!

I am a gal from Alex., email me at miciaya@yahoo.com with all the kinda info ya are seeking!!Maybe I can help!!

Micia

Posts: 155 | From: Alexandria, Egypt | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IslandSha
Member # 5164

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for IslandSha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your response. Due to the limited time before leaving I had already decided that I would not bring household type stuff. We will be living in a hotel for at least a month until we can find another place. I will bring six months of prescription medicine as well as hit WalMart and stock up on OTC stuff that I think we can't live without.

What type of clothing? In addition to finding out about this job we are in the middle of a move so all winter type clothes are in storage. I have plenty of hot clothes that I had planned to use while living in the USVI but those are a bit skimpy.

I have started to collect movies as well as record everyday TV that I will miss. My sister is recording from TLC all those Trading Spaces type shows that I enjoy.

What about phone services? Internet? I am addicted to internet and will certainly miss being able to be online with friends and family. I have to keep in touch as well as continue to run a business from online. Also is there readily available cable TV with at least a few English channels?

Thanks!
Sharon

Posts: 25 | From: Christianstand, St. Croix | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LiveItUp
Member # 4811

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LiveItUp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can buy a cell phone for around $100-500 US $..No signed contract here, you have to buy a line.. it is still allot cheaper than USA...We buy calling card at anyphone store to call USA- $5 US money- lasts us 1 month (minimal calling)...At any electronic store a convertor for your electronics we brought here, ie. toaster oven, blender, can opener we will use a 3000 watt conv.(will provide elec for all kitchen) around $300 US. 1000 watts is enough for just a VCR/DVD- around $50 US. Satellite available you can get all Europe, some USA channels up to 300 channels like must buy it own it $300 US at least...Internet I'm on it now- talk to home on it and we pay $12 a mnth.... Clothes- don't wear skimpy at all here....so bring casual conservative or long sl. blouse type clothes to fit in. Fine if don't want to just don't see shorts, tanks, mini's here. It gets chilly with sea breeze at night already and in winter still chilly in am/pm 50 degrees lowest usually. You will need swrt & sweat or 2. Windbreakers good..light coat..
I am fine in summer going out w/capris normal tshirt or short sleeve blouse. Ppl tend to dress to impress at nite & also casual wear. Have not seen but 1 tourist in shorts and tank-not the norm here. It is hot, hot in day still, comfy casual is best. Hope this helps. Hotel, Sheraton Monteza has been recommended for comfort, security and it has nicest views around. Hope it helps.

Posts: 395 | From: Whereever I go | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com