EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Arabic Interface

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Arabic Interface
EFLVirgo
Member # 6264

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for EFLVirgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can I change a Windows application into Arabic interface? Any computer experts out there? HELP!!!
Posts: 372 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EFLVirgo
Member # 6264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EFLVirgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HELP, please!!!
Posts: 372 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi EFLVirgo!

As far as I know for the Office suite certainly, you need to have the Arabic Office software, and I think WinXP and above can be programmed into Arabic. But you should check with the experts first.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EgyptCajun
Member # 7228

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EgyptCajun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi EFLVirgo, can you please tell me which version of windows you are using (windows 98, windows me, windows 2000, windows XP)?

You should see the version when the computer starts and the system is loading. Otherwise, using your mouse, and the RIGHT side button (not the left side button) right click on the 'My Computer' icon on the desktop, then select Properties at the bottom of the little menu that will pop open. The small box that appears should have the version of windows you are using.

After I know that, I should be able to help you find the right settings for the Arabic interface.

Brian

Posts: 16 | From: Maaid, Cairo Egypt | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EFLVirgo
Member # 6264

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for EFLVirgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Brian,

I'm using Windows XP.

Thanks for your help. I need it badly

EFLVirgo
Member # 6264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EFLVirgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Newcomer

Let's hope Brian (the expert) replies soon.

EgyptCajun
Member # 7228

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EgyptCajun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is the microsoft products link to Arabic support in Windows XP (it would help if I knew which you are using, XP Home or XP Profesional).
http://www.microsoft.com/middleeast/arabicdev/Windows/winXP/wPapers.asp

Adding Arabic language support
To add the Arabic language support in English version of Windows you need to install the complex script language option from the regional settings.

To install complex script languages:

1. Click on “Start”.
2. Choose “Control Panel”
3. Select “Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options” category.
4. Choose “Regional and Language option”.
5. Click on “Language” tab.
6. Enable option “Install files for complex script and right-to-left language”.
7. Click “Apply” button to complete installation.

Note

This is the same status in the French version of Windows XP if you need to add Arabic language, follow the same steps with the French interface.

There are additional instructions with pictures of the dialog boxes at the link I supplied above.

Brian

Posts: 16 | From: Maaid, Cairo Egypt | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This will only give you Arabic language support so you can read and write Arabic documents in your software. Certainly for the Office suite if you want an Arabic interface you have to have the Arabic Office suite, although I hear that it is not as stable as the English version. The English version can be programmed so you can read and write Arabic, but won't have the Arabic interface. I assume therefore that you would have to have an Arabic version of Windows if you wanted a total Arabic interface, if it exists.
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EgyptCajun
Member # 7228

Rate Member
If she follows the link (and had you for that matter) I provided, it clearly states:

Application compatibility
Running Non Unicode Arabic programs
Windows XP as Windows 2000 does not support Arabic DOS programs or 16-bit Arabic programs.

Windows XP supports 32 bit Arabic programs both Non-Unicode and Unicode programs. However, to be able to run the non-Unicode Arabic programs you need to set the system settings to be enabled for the Arabic language.

To select a language for Non-Unicode programs:
Click on “Start”.
Choose “Control Panel”
Select “Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options” category.
Choose “Regional and Language option”.
Click on “Advanced” tab.
Select from the list the required language and its country.
Note:

- Most f the available programs in the market are still non-Unicode.

- This system setting enables non-Unicode programs to display menus and dialogs in their native language. It does not affect Unicode programs, but it does apply to all users of current computer.

- Select any Arabic country as appropriate.

Brian

newcomer
Member # 1056

Hi EgyptCajun!

I admit that I didn’t click the link you gave at that time when I was hurrying out to work, I just read what you had posted, and as it was just talking about Arabic support it sounded like it just gave support for programs rather than an Arabic interface to windows itself. Thanks for taking the time to give the other information, but although that may have clearly stated something to you, I couldn’t see where it said whether it gave an Arabic interface to the Windows application! I hope you will pardon my computer semi-illiteracy and clarify it for me as I would be interested to know for myself too!

EgyptCajun
Member # 7228

Rate Member
My first post dealt with shifting Windows XP to Arabic and enabling right to left reading/presentation. The second dealt with what applications were supported, though it looks like only those with unicode support (look for that term 'unicode' in the application product documentation) are well supported (if you want an explanation of what unicode is let me know). Since there certainly is an Arabic version of Windows, it will undoubtably give the best Arabic support. The original post, if I read it right, was asking for specific instructions on how to turn that support on in a different (presumably English or French) version. Maybe I mis-understood. If so, I sowwy.

Obviously, the more I, or anyone else trying to help, knows about the specific problem the more a targeted response can be given.

i.e., I'm running the English version of Windows XP Profssional, and I need to get the system to display in Arabic. OR I'm running the French version of Windows XP Home addition, and I need MS Office (or product xyz) to display in Arabic.

I hope that helps...

Brian

Brian

EFLVirgo
Member # 6264

Member Rated:
Thank you

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com