EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Homemade Beauty Products

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Homemade Beauty Products
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For all of the girls (and men who like to be pretty), since I have been in Egypt I have noticed the dry hot weather requires much more care on my skin. The products for purchase here are so over priced (in my opinion) that I have resorted to some homemade products and I must tell you, my skin has never looked or FELT better in all of my life....
Naturally I wanted to pass the advice on to others. below I have listed some homemade concoctions I use and have found great success with:

---------------------------------
Facial Cleanser

Ingredients:

1 whole egg (for toning)
1/2 cup milk whole or 2% (for lactic acid which is a cleanser and peel)
1 banana (for moisturizing)

Preparation:

Mix ingredients with a fork or blender until smooth. Store excess cleanser in sealed container in the refrigerator for up to two days. Apply to forehead, cheeks, nose and chin, then rub in for two to three minutes. Rinse off in sink or shower.
-----------------------------------

Cucumber Toner
(hydrates under the moisturizer)

1 medium cucumber
water (boiled and allowed to cool to room temperature to avoid bacteria growth)

Preparation:

Process cucumber in a blender until smooth. Push mixture through a strainer and mix with equal amounts of water. Place mixture in a spray bottle and store in refrigerator up to five days.

---------------------------------------
Herbal Mint Facial Toner
(good for sensitive skin types)

Ingredients:

1 chamomile tea bag (for soothing the skin)
1 green tea bag (includes antioxidants)
2 large springs of fresh mint
3 cups water (boiled and allowed to cool to room temperature)

Preparation:

Combine tea bags, mint and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and steep. Mix equal parts of the mixture in a spray bottle. It should keep in the refrigerator for two days.

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh cool! thanks [Smile]
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nora
Member # 807

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nora     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have any recipes for dry skin on the body? I've tried almost everything, and nothing moisturizes well.
Posts: 537 | From: Cairo | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Olive oil is great for dry or damaged skin. Apply it after a shower when your skin is still damp.
[Smile]

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What can be used against stretch marks?
Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For really dry skin, shea butter is excellent. Also, don't forget to exfoliate really well before using those rich moisturizers. If the moisturizer is just sitting on dead skin cells its not going to do much.
I like to moisturize at night before I sleep, or after I take shower at night [Wink] , so that the stuff can soak in without getting washed off!

Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VanillaBullshit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anthropos:

Botox.
Posts: 2404 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia_06:
Olive oil is great for dry or damaged skin. Apply it after a shower when your skin is still damp.
[Smile]

does it have a bad smell?
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually no. You have to make sure you use a small quantity only, it will form an emulsion with the water left on your skin and will be absorbed quickly.

That said, if you really dislike the smell of olive oil in general, you might rather want to use another, odourless, oil to the same effect, for example almond oil, sunflower oil or jojoba oil ...

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheWesternDebt2Islaam
Member # 7854

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheWesternDebt2Islaam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by * 7ayat *:
quote:
[Smile]

does it have a bad smell?
egyptian find olive oil so smellly [Confused]

where as morrican seem to love it

I would have thought Alexandrian would love olive oil with its "mediterreanean" spot :confused

Posts: 2457 | From: U | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheWesternDebt2Islaam
Member # 7854

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheWesternDebt2Islaam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

when my neigbour was pregenet she use to use alot of coco butter cream...

(aot of black people use this for their hair i think :confused, and strech mark, they seem to develop alot of strech marks)

Posts: 2457 | From: U | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Actually no. You have to make sure you use a small quantity only, it will form an emulsion with the water left on your skin and will be absorbed quickly.

That said, if you really dislike the smell of olive oil in general, you might rather want to use another, odourless, oil to the same effect, for example almond oil, sunflower oil or jojoba oil ...

alright thanks dalia, i'll try it inshallah. at the moment i'm using coconut cream, it smells yummy!
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nora:
Do you have any recipes for dry skin on the body? I've tried almost everything, and nothing moisturizes well.

I've used very finely granulated sugar mixed with olive oil before. It works very well as an exfoliator as well as moisturizing the olive oil into the skin.Oh hey, on that same topic, if you use seasame seeds with a little oil it is a great exfoliator!
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:

hmmm this I really don't know about. But, a friend of mine told me years ago, after she had twins, that she went to a tanning salon for a few sessions to get rid of her paper white winter skin. She said after a couple of visits her stretch marks seemed to fade! She said it never went away totally but it really helped. I don't know how you feel about tanning, I just remember her telling me that.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com