EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Bad Eyes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bad Eyes
candy
Member # 10393

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for candy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone tell about the people whpo have Bad Eyes ??
Whist i was in Egypt (Luxor) in Jan, something happened and a man was brought to my flat to do some kind of ritual -He had kind of rocks and smelling things also a very old book which he read (in arabic of course) also had a bowl with water in, which we covered up in it was two eggs just laid by the chicken.
He also tied a scarfe around my wrist and i had to [pull hard to get the Badness away???

In the end he gave the name of a person who had supposedly put this (spell) on us.
We had to eat the eggs but when he took the scarfe off the bowl inside with the eggs was this piece of like straw/string dont how it got there because it was not there when he first put the eggs in.

He said this had come from the person who did this -this person with bad eyes???
Can anyone tell me Bad Eyes and what actually happened because I'm totally lost???

Posts: 149 | From: england | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
evil eyes are mentioned in the koran. however, that guy you brought is what we call in egypt a "nasab" (crook). if you are muslim, and want to protect yourself from the evil eye you can just read the koran. however, all this stuff with the egg, and scarves is just a hoax nothing more.
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nanouk
Member # 10384

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nanouk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The belief in the "evil eyes" is that if someone sees you and covets or envies something about you: your looks, your children, your house, your money etc... then whatever they have conveted will end up being damaged.
Most people believe that in addition to being envious, the perpetrator must also be jealous and internally wish that harm be fallen upon you or what they have coveted, others don't believe that.

In practise this belief gets mixed up with other beliefs like magic, spells etc....
The first line of protection against evil eye is incense (with a few verses of the Koran). The turquoise ceramic eyes you see everywhere is believed to protect against that too. It is also believed that the number 5 (specially repeated) is also a protector.

Now for a bit of humor, I know some people that use the cologne 555 by Shabrawishy just for that purpose. I also know of really serious fights breaking out in the family because someone just injected too many 5 in the conversation (which is an accusation that they suspecting them of giving them the "evil eye").
Uneducated people sometime call their children terrible names so that "the evil eye stays away from them". Here are some names that I have personally heard: shokheikha (little turd), malleem "milliem (one thousands of a pound (i.e. negligible)) khorda (junk)

It is not just in Egypt this belief exits.
In Sicily there is a similar belief and the protection is to make the following sign with your fingers but pointed to the ground.
http://www.capalert.com/images/hand.gif
(it represents the horns of the devil)

Posts: 143 | From: Silicon Valley | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The gypsies do this stuff with the egg and something in it. Are you sure he wasn't speaking goon?
Then they promise to give you a special deal on sealing your driveway, take the deposit up front and leave you with 5 empty buckets!
Hahaha.

Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Potter.
Member # 10461

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Potter.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why that was mentioned only in Coran ?!
Posts: 512 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
candy
Member # 10393

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for candy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No really this was serious stuff and all the Egypians believed in this ritural
When i went out the next day and spoke to some one about this they said 'Oh yes some people do have bad eyes'
??????

Posts: 149 | From: england | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sohyla
Member # 8287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sohyla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband believes in the evil eye. It seems strange to me but he talks about it likes its a fact of life.
Posts: 516 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sohyla
Member # 8287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sohyla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do believe that there are people give off negative energy. If we feel this energy it may bother us and make us more prone to have accidents or have a bad feeling.
Posts: 516 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Rose Immortal
Member # 10497

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black Rose Immortal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The guy your talkin about that came into your flat is a scammer.I tend to find these people very funny, Chicken eggs LMAO !

The Egyptian government arrests these lamers who try to scam simple egyptians.

I wonder what convinced you with this evil eye crap.

Posts: 27 | From: Death pit | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
candy
Member # 10393

Rate Member
Here's from the daily life thread from jane-
posted 14 February, 2006 01:08 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have been living here 3 years now and lots of things have changed for me

I don't use toilet paper but always use the hose. It is refreshing and much much cleaner. I don't bother to dry as what is left is only water and especially during the summer it is so hot, any wet panties dry in seconds.

I don't drink mineral water, the local water is heavily chlorinated so I keep bottles of it in the fridge which allows the chlorine to dissipate as well as keeping it cold. In summer we have a water tank which we put huge chunks of ice in (freeze a small saucepan).

I use unpasteurized milk, tastes fantastic but goes off really quickly.

I cook what ever is in season and get quite imaginative with what I can do.

I eat local food of stalls. On the West Bank by the ferry there is a man doing breakfasts for the locals, a stone for a seat and an upside down crate for a table. Foul, bread and pickles, yummy. If I am waiting for guests I will have my breakfast there.

I cut the mouldy bits out instead of throwing away the whole vegetable/fruit, it actually doesn't matter as long as you cook thoroughly. I buy all my food locally and have stopped worrying about hygiene and bacteria and concentrate on taste. Yes I get my meat from those butchers you see on the streets with no refrigeration.

I can cope with getting a whole liver instead of unrecognisable slices. I have a standing arrangement with the butcher to have a liver of any calf under 50 days.

I buy my chicken alive and wait while the girl kills, plucks and guts it.

I don't wear a watch any more.

I get my face stringed (removal of all the little hairs).

I walk home alone late at night with no worries.

I shout and scream at taxi drivers and shopkeepers who try and over charge me but mostly shop where I am known and get charged local prices.

I laugh and joke with locals in very bad Arabic

I hang my washing out and know it will be dry

I give baksheesh every where and expect it when I am guiding

I am relaxed when the electric/telephone/water and know that eventually it will come back

I say Inshahallah all the time which can mean No/Yes/Maybe depending on my tone of voice

I believe in bad eyes

Although I don't wear it I think Hijab is both pretty and liberating

I find myself revolted by clothes tourists wear and Western fashions

I love the sound of the call to prayer of the Koran being read and find it soothing.

I don't expect anyone to be on time.

I drink tea with mint instead of milk

Foods I took for granted are now high treats brought out by guests and appreciated so much more.

I don't have a coat

Rain is a forgotten discomfort

I will stop there but there is more

See the on about the bad eyes???

Jayne can you enlghten us please????

xxx

candy
Member # 10393

Rate Member
See its true about the bad eyes..
Black Rose Immortal
Member # 10497

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black Rose Immortal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Iam actually an Egyptian lol

There is no bad eyes, not even in the Koran itself.

Whats mentioned in the Koran that relating to eyes is the Envy's eye , it does exist and there is small simple ritual of getting rid of it by reading certain verses from the Koran and thats it.

There is no chicken or eggs lol.
These kinda scammers go around in small villages and towns, they are very popular there and most of the locals believe in them.
They were popular everwhere more than 3 decades ago, now hopefully they are extinct but a small portion still remains hovering around simple people that live in small villages and towns.

--------------------
^_^

Posts: 27 | From: Death pit | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com