EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Silver?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Silver?
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 5 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is silver jewelry at all popular among Egyptian women?

Just curious since the trend here in the US is silver and platinum....although I think gold-toned is coming back....

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For some reason I have the idea that gold is more popular in Egypt, though why I would think that I don't know.
I can't stand it myself. I much prefer silver but will deal with platinum.

Sorry I didn't answer your question.

But happy Sunday to you.
[Smile]

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LiveItUp
Member # 4811

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LiveItUp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is becoming more popular here along with with allot of the stone type longer necklaces. I have seen less gold chains dangling anyways. I think they go for the white/gold now.

Which brings back memory of when I was first married, 10 yrs ago, cause I got one of those felt cases with "Newscaster" looking necklace and earrings, ring and it was just not me...I would of preferred silver. The family thought I was crazy I think. I did eventually return it because it was simply collecting dust. They understood as this was 7 yrs into the marriage so they couldn't boot me back! 2 grandchildren later....lol!

Posts: 395 | From: Whereever I go | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Smile]

I was wearing silver all the time, until my now-husband just started buying me gold! So I've switched.

I've never had a man buy me decent jewelry before...so I can't believe I will say this, but I asked him to not buy so much gold anymore. His choices were very tasteful, but I don't wear a lot of jewelry and what I *do* wear is more a sentimental thing than anything else.

Now, unfortunately, the pieces I want are thousands of dollars each, and I wouldn't dare ask for something that expensive!

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why are the pieces so expensive, because of stones set in them or ???
Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LovedOne:
But happy Sunday to you.
[Smile]

Happy Sunday to you too!

I'm really just cleaning the house and finishing up my taxes. Wish I could say I was doing something really interesting. [Smile]

Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:

Not at all. I have the impression very few – rather trendy – young women wear it, that's it. Silver is not seen as the real thing.

I love Egyptian silver jewellry and have loads of it – from very ethnic pieces to some individual unique designs.
[Cool]

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Asoom
Member # 8611

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Asoom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Just curious since the trend here in the US is silver and platinum....although I think gold-toned is coming back....

During school days I used to wear Silver a lot,

Because of 2 reasons, it’s very simple and suitable for my age.

the second reason , if I lost any of them, I won’t get nuts, because it is not expensive. "except if it is a gift" [Frown]

but nowadays I prefer palantien, more elegant! but also still wear silver, I like it [Cool]

Posts: 968 | From: www | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[Smile]

I was wearing silver all the time, until my now-husband just started buying me gold! So I've switched.

I've never had a man buy me decent jewelry before...so I can't believe I will say this, but I asked him to not buy so much gold anymore. His choices were very tasteful, but I don't wear a lot of jewelry and what I *do* wear is more a sentimental thing than anything else.

Now, unfortunately, the pieces I want are thousands of dollars each, and I wouldn't dare ask for something that expensive!

it kills me to see women wear white with gold jewelry, silver or platinum looks best. then again it also kills me to see women here wearing white shoes in the winter too so oh well
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
it kills me to see women wear white with gold jewelry, silver or platinum looks best. then again it also kills me to see women here wearing white shoes in the winter too so oh well

You're an American.... ?? [Big Grin] No white after Labor Day. [Razz]
daria1975
Member # 6244

However, how does anyone where white shoes in the dust of Cairo? I don't know if the rest of Egypt is like that, but I assume so.
Corvinous
Member # 6578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corvinous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wear transparent shoes then with dust it is white.

--------------------
No papa! No mama! No whisky soda!

Posts: 3903 | From: The Moon | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barbapapa
Member # 10031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbapapa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't like to wear white..but the only time I did in Cairo, it was in spring, and...it started to rain...My God, the rain wasn't transparent, it was...black...I wasn't far from home, I came back in a hurry and had to dress up again...I think it was because of the pollution that it was dark.
Posts: 531 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:

it kills me to see women wear white with gold jewelry, silver or platinum looks best. then again it also kills me to see women here wearing white shoes in the winter too so oh well [/QB]

In England white shoes + big jewellery display = being a Chav or a Footballers Wife [Smile] - usually goes with big bleached hair, short tight skirt and dodgy rich husband
Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corvinous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Werewolves are allergic to silver [Frown]
Posts: 3903 | From: The Moon | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for _Masrawi_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia:
quote:

Not at all. I have the impression very few – rather trendy – young women wear it, that's it. Silver is not seen as the real thing.

I love Egyptian silver jewellry and have loads of it – from very ethnic pieces to some individual unique designs.
[Cool]

I take it u r a big Azza Fahmi fan then?
Posts: 2049 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

Enta kont fien ya 3am !!!

--------------------

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for _Masrawi_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mawgood ya 3azeezi ... all is well?
Posts: 2049 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

No, akhouk mohadad bel enkerad [Frown]

--------------------

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

la 7awla wala ...
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by _Masrawi_:
quote:
quote:

[Cool]

god i love azza fahmi! i had two beautiful necklaces and ring from her, but the maid stole them [Frown]
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

Give that maid's full name to Sonomod, she will tell ya everything about her marriage [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
Originally posted by 7ayat- nefsi fe molokheya:
quote:
quote:
quote:

[Cool]

god i love azza fahmi! i had two beautiful necklaces and ring from her, but the maid stole them [Frown]
yes, her stuff is quite impressive.

Masrawi approved ...

Asoom
Member # 8611

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Asoom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 7ayat- nefsi fe molokheya:
quote:
quote:
quote:

[Cool]

yes, her stuff is quite impressive.

Masrawi approved ...

and sometimes unique!
Posts: 968 | From: www | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

And sometimes magnificent [Big Grin]

--------------------

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Corvinous:
Give that maid's full name to Sonomod, she will tell ya everything about her marriage [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

wow impressive:D
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

[Big Grin]

--------------------

suzy24/7
Member # 10317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for suzy24/7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[/QB][/QUOTE]In England white shoes + big jewellery display = being a Chav or a Footballers Wife [Smile] - usually goes with big bleached hair, short tight skirt and dodgy rich husband [/QB][/QUOTE]

Haha so true! Don't forget the millions of children as well, you can't be a true Chav without them!

Posts: 122 | From: England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonomod_me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh well this thread I was wanting to post to has been deleted.

But these are the pics I snapped from al-Jezeera:

[IMG]http://img474.imageshack.us/img474/381/arabjewlry0030vt.th.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/3448/arabjewlry0044ng.th.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/9537/arabjewlry0052pd.th.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/9537/arabjewlry0052pd.th.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/8891/arabjewlry0065vt.th.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/6922/arabjewlry0077tl.th.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/5122/arabjewlry0088ur.th.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/7789/arabjewlry0097mc.th.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/6548/arabjewlry0104um.th.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/3664/arabjewlry0110ko.th.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/3664/arabjewlry0110ko.th.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/8373/arabjewlry0132mo.th.jpg[/IMG]

Those I felt were some of the prettiest pieces I have seen for a long time.

Posts: 1765 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the last 3 pics.
Is that like QVC jazeera style? Home shopping?
I watch that al jazeera sometimes but prefer to watch the lebanese broadcast network, or LBC, or whatever its called.
I like when they had that Star search contest...it was so funny to see a khaleeji guy sing with the big galabeya and camel whacking cane...actually that was WHACK!

Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonomod_me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by QueenBee:
I love the last 3 pics.
Is that like QVC jazeera style? Home shopping?
I watch that al jazeera sometimes but prefer to watch the lebanese broadcast network, or LBC, or whatever its called.
I like when they had that Star search contest...it was so funny to see a khaleeji guy sing with the big galabeya and camel whacking cane...actually that was WHACK!

No it wasn't a show for selling things, just a heads up on new designers.

Some arab satellite channel had fashion show clips on forever and then stopped.

Just seeing a slice of what is fashionable helps guide me on how to put together a wardrobe.

We sat and watched a movie last night with Mohamed Hanafi, about a botched bank robbery. I was shocked to see short off the shoulder dresses on bank clerks. He claimed alot of offices have even sluttier dressed women than you find in the west.

So there is a massive gap between the hijab wearing professional and bank clerks. I'll find a middle ground somehow. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1765 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NourHayati
Member # 5507

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NourHayati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.nilestone.com/jewelry-history.htm
Posts: 327 | From: balad alnour | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

quote:
Originally posted by NourHayati:
http://www.nilestone.com/jewelry-history.htm

Anything contemporary? I am not so hot on the Ancient Egypt stuff.
seabreeze
Member # 10289

I'm not either, I think it looks gaudy.
NourHayati
Member # 5507

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NourHayati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also think most of them look kitchy [Razz]
Posts: 327 | From: balad alnour | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

quote:
Originally posted by NourHayati:
I also think most of them look kitchy [Razz]

NourHayati, you might want to check out some of these expositions:

Jewelry for all

By Farah El Alfy
First Published: June 2, 2006

CAIRO: The global phenomenon of semi-precious stone costume jewelry has made women happy by making them feel exclusive and men happy by lifting the burden of precious stone jewelry off of their wallets.

In Egypt the market is huge, with such high demand that both established and new designers are coming up with fabulous, innovative jewelry appealing to a very large age bracket, from women in their 20s and upwards.

At a jewelry exhibition Wednesday entitled “Vertigo” on the Nile Pharaos’ deck on the river in Giza, six of Egypt’s most creative designers displayed some of their latest work, attracting many of the women throughout the city. The exhibit offered a wide variety of semi-precious stones, silver and pearls to suit different budgets.

According to Iman El Derini, well known for her flair for fashion, semi-precious jewelry is “much more effective on the clothes ... if you wear it properly it is definitely more stylish [than precious jewelry],” she says.

Dina Maghawry, a designer who was displaying a collection of trendy earrings, was a huge hit with the younger crowd. She has been in the business for almost four years now and has gained immense popularity for her easy-to-wear designs.

Maghawry used to be a fashion editor when she discovered her passion for jewelry. “Working in the industry and being exposed to fashion aroused something in me. I decided to study jewelry making and open my own business,” she explains.

Her favorite stones include labradorit, moonstone and semi-precious lower quality ruby, as she likes to keep her prices reasonable while still using beautiful stones and mixing them together to create exquisite combinations for earrings, necklaces and bracelets.

Another young designer on exhibit was Alia Hussein, better known as Lulu. She is new to the business, this being her first real exhibition, as she has only been making jewelry for nine months now. She specializes mainly in necklaces, especially long one-strand designs.

“I use Indian silver just to accentuate the pieces but I don’t depend on their beauty; I depend on the beauty of the colors and textures of stones,” she says. Her favorite stones include turquoise, onyx and amber.

Each designer has a unique style, relying on their own taste and fashion sense; these gemstones have the greatest potential to enhance one's personal sense of style.

The table at the exhibition that attracted the most attention held the exquisite designs of Maya Soric. Her gutsy, flamboyant pieces always cause a stir with sophisticated crowds.

“I like Maya for the jewelry’s exclusivity … touch of ethnic … very modern … very classy … and not too much,” says El Derini.

Among the other exhibiters were Reema, Dina Lehita and Amir Bally.

Ahmed El Aguizy and Solinne El Asar organized the exhibition. They chose these six individuals because they all use similar raw materials for their designs, although each one does it their own way. The idea for “Vertigo” was inspired by El Asar, who is especially interested in semi-precious stones.

“I love semi-precious stones. Because of their more affordable prices you can buy many and pick out something new every day according to what you are wearing. They are very fashionable right now,” she says.

==============================================
For information regarding upcoming exhibitions, please stay tuned to the The Daily Star Egypt’s Cultural Agenda

http://www.dailystaregypt.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=1753

Okay, big fan of moonstone and onyx. My mother might get her wish and finally have a daugther who will dress up more often complete with jewlry!

bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wore gold 20 years ago....I only ever wear silver now....I think gold on older women looks tacky!!!
Also... why do some women insist on wearing almost every piece of jewellery they own??
6 different necklaces, a ring on each finger, and at least 10 bracelets!!?? Do they REALLY think it looks tasteful???
Second pet hate...
Men who wear chunky gold necklaces!!! DIIIIISGUSTING!!!!!!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

quote:
Originally posted by Samia:
I wore gold 20 years ago....I only ever wear silver now....I think gold on older women looks tacky!!!

Samia you are not that old to begin with. [Roll Eyes]

Besides I have seen some of the "Gold Shops" in Cairo and I am not in the least bit impressed.

So much more can be done with silver anyways. It matches everything and is easy to care for.

bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Sono... but I'm definitely past my prime... in years, but not in spirit!!! [Smile]
Also... just a point.... white gold.... what's the point???
It looks just like silver!!! [Smile]

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

White gold, isn't that more robust? I mean some silver can be easily twisted bent or broke.

Repairing silver can be a pain in the arse. but gold isn't as difficult to repair.

And I understand that you cannot put precious stones into silver as easily as gold. So if you don't want to pay platiumn prices, white gold is the way to go for wedding rings.

after I got married and started wearing a silver wedding ring with black pearls (it was precious, really pretty) I was marred with "lectures" or shall I say instructing lessons on why silver won't last as a ring with stones for daily use. Blah, blah, blah, blah...

But they were right. I lost the black pearl out of two and the setting came loose. I was so angry.

Next time, if there is a next time, white gold will be the way too go. I am just too rough on jewlry.

--------------------
Don't freak out, sonomod, Organized Crime, whatever. If I annoy you its me!

AshkiA
Member # 10944

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AshkiA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wedding ring is made of Itialian Silver enforced with some type of metal, can't think of the name now. I'm very impressed with it. I have allergies to some golds and metals. Silver to me looks more classy, yet I prefer the more simple type of jewlry. I have noticed a lot of the jewlry shops here in Egypt have large gold gaudy jewlry with prices to match. I wouldn't even waste money on them lollll. Maybe I'm picky [Big Grin]
Posts: 177 | From: Alexandria,Egypt / Missouri,USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NourHayati
Member # 5507

http://www.azzafahmy.com/ It is under re-construction at the moment, but keep it in mind for future search [Wink] And thank you Sonomod_me for the article, I am quite interested in fashion jewelry.
NourHayati
Member # 5507

http://dinamaghawry.com/ This site works [Wink]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com