EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Working as a doctor in Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Working as a doctor in Egypt
jk_89
Member # 11751

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jk_89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys!

I'm new to this forum, but have been looking at it for a while... looks really interesting!

I need some help.... I'm a student in the UK, and hopeing to work as a doctor in Egypt in the future.. Is there anyone who can answer some of my questions concerning this (e.g. pay, hours worked, etc.)?

Thank you all for your help!!

Janjoon

Posts: 7 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sara_uk
Member # 11454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sara_uk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Iam not in egypt but i can tell you that you will get paid much more in the uk as a doctor than in egypt. i would love to know the answer to your question, but iam sure doctors do not get paid much at all in egypt. i knew a egyptian lawyer and he did not get paid much either.
Posts: 816 | From: london | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jk_89
Member # 11751

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jk_89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Sara!

Yes thats definitley true and but I wanted a rough idea... Any Egyptian docs here?

Posts: 7 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cairobug
Member # 10571

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cairobug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I need some help.... I'm a student in the UK, and hopeing to work as a doctor in Egypt in the future.."

OMG no, for reasons beyond money--unless you're thinking of trying to reform the system or do volunteer work.

--------------------
Disclaimer: My posts are not meant to personally offend anyone. If you find yourself reading my posts repeatedly, you are kindly asked to seek the help of a professional [Smile]

Posts: 483 | From: cairo | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jk_89
Member # 11751

Rate Member
Why's that??
EgyptianDoc77
Member # 3777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EgyptianDoc77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello

Well nice to get this deiscussion going on..Infact i will concisely reply you for i had that experience of working here and there besides getting to do some paid fellowships in states and Uk too..Basically i wouldnt talk about money since the pay overhere is very much low nothing special being a doctor and no much consideration of your effort put up in studies during college and further with ur post grad studies and no much consideration of the risk of your job basically that you are dealing with a human being. Financial wise its a pity to say how much a doctor is getting overhere and unless you do practice somewhere else besides your job it would bve difficult. Compartively if u graduate in UK and go on with a house office job and later on with a registrar or in US after ur internship and started on with ur residency the difference is overwhelming..

But a good thing is that standard really is good overhere , you get great expertise in certain fields, we have a great clinical sense and the number of patients we do see is much really making us have a very good deal of diagnosing and treating skills, i've been even told this during past fellowships in UK and US where i used to diagnose on spot while they would take ages to go on with procedures and biopsies and even for diagnosing very basic things they lost the sense of diagniosing clinically ....

Anyway the issue is much to talk about..I dont have much time at the moment to give u more but surely i would consider coming back iving u some tips and if u need anything ur welcome to contact me..

Good Luck [Smile]

Posts: 689 | From: Miami Beach, FL | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jk_89
Member # 11751

Rate Member
Thanks a lot for you help EgytianDoc..

I'm not coming to Egypt for the money lol but I might move there in the future if I were to get married...

I wanted to get to know the system in Egypt better. Like in UK we have house officers, staff grades, consultants, etc.. how about in Egypt?

Thank you!

tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tootifrooti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Egydoc,
thanks for all your help in the past.
take care
[Wink]

Posts: 1500 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThePinkCamel
Member # 11718

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThePinkCamel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that people who are able to have their own private clinics can do reasonably well. I know of people in Mohandeseen who have excellent incomes and million plus U.S. dollar houses. I am not sure what it takes to open a clinic there though. If one needs all kinds of connections etc.
Posts: 49 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jk_89
Member # 11751

Rate Member
Yep I had hoped on doing that, but wanted to spend some time working in hospitals first... All this is in the very far future though [Big Grin]

Thanks for your help!

EgyptianDoc77
Member # 3777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EgyptianDoc77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey jamsie cottar
ur always welcome but i have no idea who u r [Wink] sorry ..seems like ur an old friend using a new nickname is it!!

Posts: 689 | From: Miami Beach, FL | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EgyptianDoc77
Member # 3777

quote:
Originally posted by ThePinkCamel:
I know that people who are able to have their own private clinics can do reasonably well. I know of people in Mohandeseen who have excellent incomes and million plus U.S. dollar houses. I am not sure what it takes to open a clinic there though. If one needs all kinds of connections etc.

Well it takes alot to have your own clinic and to establish a reputation which is lots of work, time, money and more...Besides good income specially for a doctor shouldnt be dependent on having a private clinic ..
Yana
Member # 11508

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi there,

my egyptian friend is a doctor, he works in an american hospital, and he gets paied about 2000$s

cheers,

Posts: 311 | From: Armenia | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jk_89
Member # 11751

Rate Member
Thanks for all your replies guys..

Now a more general question.. what do you think of the healthcare system in Egypt? I understand that there are some government funded hospitals as well as private ones... what are the good and bad things about both of them?

Thanks!

Sarah02
Member # 1332

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarah02     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yana:
hi there,

my egyptian friend is a doctor, he works in an american hospital, and he gets paied about 2000$s

cheers,

Hi Yana,

$2000??, what's the name of the hospital, is it in Cairo?

Posts: 116 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThePinkCamel
Member # 11718

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThePinkCamel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doctors shouldn't have to depend on a private clinic, I agree. Unfortunately, most hospitals just don't pay that much. The 2,000 a month is pretty good for Egypt - that is about 140,000 Egyptian pounds a year probably tax free. If one plans to only live in Egypt, that is excellent.
Posts: 49 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com