EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Did you ever go to Paris?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Did you ever go to Paris?
Cresk
Member # 13445

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cresk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be travelling to Paris for the first time end of this month, my husband is going there for work and I'll be accompanying him so he won't look to french girls ...(nah, just kidding [Wink] )... Anyway I will stay there only for 3 days and would really like from anybody ever went to Paris or already live in Paris to give me his advice about where I should go, where to buy transportation tickets, cheap boat cruises, restaurants, shops, anything that can give me a hint will really be of a great help.
Posts: 20 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was in paris 2 times but cant help you out too much the first time was 4 hour delay in the airport and the second time 7 hour delay in the airport not to much to do but shop in the damn airport [Big Grin] sorry i couldnt be any help
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cresk
Member # 13445

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cresk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shopping in the airport must have bee too expensive, I wish next time you'll get more luck to enjoy Paris...I have surfed the net and found interesting things but it's not like having others opinions though...
Posts: 20 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paris is wonderful, you will have a great time. I am afraid my experiences are a bit old, last time I was there was 13 years ago, why don't you get hold of a guide book.

Use the metro to get about, it is easy, quick and fun. You can buy a block of tickets called a carnet.

There are loads of great museums and art galleries, even the metro station at the louvre has a display. Yes the Eiffel Tower is worth a visit, also the place de Tete by Sacre Coeur, loads of artists there. I have 6 pictures i have bought from there.

Eat out on the Left bank not in tourist places. there are hundreds of tiny restaurants where only the french eat, those are the places to go. Chalk board written menus are a good sign. Moules et Frite and Croq Monsieur are cheap food served in little bars and yummy.

The cheeses are wonderful and you can have a great picnic with bread cheese and wine. Hot chocolate and croissants for breakfast. Expresso in pavement cafes (BTW the price if different where you drink. At the bar one price, inside another and on the pavement another. So do not go to the bar get a drink and sit down. Wait to be served)

Try the Bateaux Mouche and see the original statue of liberty. Notre Dame is amazing, we went there when my daughter was 2 and it was when Esmerelda was the Disney movie, she loved looking at all the gargoyles.

We went to Disneyland Paris as well and that was fun.

The Pigalle is the naughty part of Paris and if you are with your husband you will enjoy wandering round. It is quite ok for tourists to do this.

I find Paris a very easy place to find my way around and enjoy and my French is appalling but I smile a lot. I have been there about 6 or 8 times and always had a good time.

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mimmi
Member # 3606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mimmi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For transportation the metro is cheap, easy and fast to use.
Buy 10 trips at one time fro the metro station.
3 days is aquite a short time but off course you have to see the Eiffel Tower and perhapes the Louvre and the triumph Arch and Champes Elysee.
Shopping area with the big department stores at Rue Hausmann.
If you have time Versailles castle should be beautiful at this time of the year
I would also reccommend for one evening a cabaree show, if you don't want to pay for Mouline Rouge there are also less expencive ones.
You can also get last minute tickets to musicals,theatres and shows for the same day for half price from a small ticket shop.
Enjoy Paris

Posts: 523 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barnacle Bill
Member # 12656

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barnacle Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take the metro to Pere la Chaise station. Get out and opposite the station is the most beautiful cemetary. Just like a little village with street signs. You will get a map and see so many dead famous people like Chopin, Champollion, oh so many more and it is small enough to get around easily. A must see in paris.

Norte Dame cathedral, Rue de Rivoli, Place de la Concorde, Tulleries Gardens, if you get off at the musee metro station at the Louvre you can walk through the arches from the Louvre gardens through the Tulleries gardens and lake past Rue de Rivoli shopping arcades to the Place de la concorde in about 30 mins on a straight walk. That is a beautiful way to experience the gardens and architecture. At Tulleries you can walk up the Rue de Rivoli to the Ritz and have tea and see the back door where Diana was last seen as she got in the car, opposite is a great Irish Pub to stop for a drink.

[Cool]

Posts: 586 | From: Styx | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cresk
Member # 13445

Rate Member
Akshar, thank you so much for your great help, you really gave me some ideas, and Mimi too.
But Recif it is so pessimistic to go see dead people even if they are famous ... [Confused]
and The place when Diana died?? nooooooo
[Big Grin]

Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
End of the month the Roland Garros tennis tournaments starts... cards are available on black market as much as you want, near the stadium. All Arabs are selling, so don`t let them fool you! [Big Grin]
In the near of Champs Elysees there is a good Lebanese restaurant...
Take care in some neighbourhoods by night, especially the Arabic parts. Don`t know your husbands nationality, when he is Egyptian, you can try to go there, otherwise stay out!
For the rest; it`s expensive but rather nice...
Language can be a problem, because most French only speak one language: French!

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yana
Member # 11508

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An Amazinggggggggggggggggggggg placeeee
Posts: 311 | From: Armenia | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cresk
Member # 13445

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Yana:

Hey, I was coming to Armenia in August but plans have been changed, I came once before and liked it really as I have armenian roots. Anyway I hope my trip to Paris will be good too.
Yana
Member # 11508

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CRESK:
quote:
Originally posted by Yana:

Hey, I was coming to Armenia in August but plans have been changed, I came once before and liked it really as I have armenian roots. Anyway I hope my trip to Paris will be good too.
Ohhhh

that's niceeeeee. u are egyptian-armenian ?

well bad i didn't knoow about it before. it could be fun to show u around !

Posts: 311 | From: Armenia | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barnacle Bill
Member # 12656

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barnacle Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
seriously get down into the crypts of Notre Dame , or Sacre Ceour late at night [Eek!] [Big Grin]

Pere la Chaise is one of the best places to visit in Paris lovely tombs and vaults. Really you should put it on your to do list.

[Wink]

Pont De L'alma tunnel too, you can see the 13th pillar from the entrance.

Diana would have seen the Tour De Eiffel just as she went down the slope, the last thing she saw of paris and life on this earth.

[Frown]

Posts: 586 | From: Styx | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great suggestions here for Paris. Why not check out Virtual Tourist and Trip Advisor too? The city has superb, cheap transport. I especially like the river boats or just making time to have coffee and watch the world flow by. Walking around Paris is great too.
Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yorkshire rose   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes you really have to go to see the tombs
a few famous there
Jim morrison from the doors is there
Eddie Piaf and the Famous Oscar wilde are a few to metion
Just go and do all
I did oh go to Louvre and see Mona lisa
wow, its great
And dont be a wimp and go to the very top of the Eiffel Tower
oh and vist the bridge where princess Diana Died, wow wht a feeling
I loved it there
and would go any time again
heheeh didnt read the others posts here, probably i mention a few that you have heard about

--------------------
Alison Faragalla

Posts: 4149 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YR's post has just reminded me of how much I love the Musee d'Orsay. [Smile]
Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sparkle16
Member # 13047

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sparkle16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Paris is an amazing city, I have been 3 times and each time I have gone, I loved it even more. If you get a chance to follow the Art Walk of Left Bank. Most guide books will give you directions (Frommer's,Foder's is the best) and you can get a sense of what it was like to live there during the 1920's. Can find it in Montparnasse!! Also on Saturday ( in Montmartre )there is an art fair which is really good too! Just put on some comfy shoes and walk to your heart's content.

Also the trains out of town are very reasonable and easy to find your way around....go to Chateau de Chantilly to the castle which is beautiful! Discount shopping on rue Meslay is fun too, there are about 8 discount stores which are affordable. I think I better come with you to make sure your get to the right places. [Smile]

Posts: 206 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptian7
Member # 12215

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptian7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i go paris every years 3 times since 1997 ,i have some freind there too they can help with places and transportation ,when will u be there

--------------------
islam

Posts: 2447 | From: cairo | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
audbod
Member # 12901

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for audbod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last time i was in Paris was with my daughters. We got lost, nearly missed our coach. My youngest daughter will not go back since then.
Posts: 209 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cresk
Member # 13445

Rate Member
Thank you all for your great ideas and suggestions, I would really like to go to the left bank, most of you said it is great and to the louvre too to see the monaliza, you've been all of a great help
yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yorkshire rose   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are very happy to help
its wht were all here for to help eachother

--------------------
Alison Faragalla

Posts: 4149 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com