EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » FWO; Mixed styles in home-decoration.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: FWO; Mixed styles in home-decoration.
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For Women Only: Mixed styles in home-decoration.

I have placed expensive next to cheap, and classic next to modern. A mix of colonial furniture, stone objects from ancient Gods collected out of the whole world, antique photographs, modern posters and a classic painting, cinnamon coloured walls, glass chandeliers held with black voile/lace, red wooden floor, and a ultramodern kitchen with in dark grey and apricot and a rock& roll kitchenset with red skai chairs in it.
Are you sure about this, the kitchen-supplier asked, and called the floorman. It is dared….and after finishing it they wanted to take pictures because it was that special. Created an own mixed style and with a expensive irradiation without having the costs of it.

The oldest objects probably are onehundred years old, in total contradiction with the straight, tight line design of the most modern things. It indeed is special, but it has a great irridation, the rooms are representing the family and their history. It feels good, warm and cosy.

Whether your taste is traditional, ultramodernly, alternative artistic or minimalistic, you can put down every style without making too much costs, by daring to make unusual decisions. Who says that I have to use one style in one room? Who says that by a modern designed couch I can’t use renaissance cushions? Who says that a flatscreen doesn’t fit in a tradional surrounding and therefore has to be hided behind traditional doors?

And keep what you don’t use at the moment. At the attic I store a Chinese carpet, and my fathers first cupboard from dark oak mixed with brown marble. It has carved doors, with stains of flowers and leaves. Maybe after time, when I redecorate again, it can have a place in my house, and I don’t need to buy new expensive furniture…

How about your house?

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn-Bev*
Member # 15190

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn-Bev*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, my house is a mixture - I call it 'eclectic'!

basically, its a case of what Ive managed to scrounge second-hand and whats been given to me as -hand-me-downs - nothing of value really -

all my disposable income goes on holidays (after the mortgage and related bills, pension saving etc , so ive never really spent much money on furnishings.

sometimes ive seen these programmes on TV and theyve got gorgeous houses - mine, well, its been described as 'cosy' and 'shabby chic' - but i'd be more realistic with 'shabby shite'!!

its an old terraced house, built approx 1905 with high ceilings, 3 bedrooms and a very small bathroom. Not many original features have been left in unfortunately, but 2 doors upstairs are still the original, very nice old thick panelled wood.

I redecorated quickly and cheaply when I moved in about 10 years ago and put in cheap carpets -stupidly I put in a biege carpet downstairs - so ive got a few rugs down covering the blackcurrent juice, paint, crayon marks etc [Smile]

It did need a new kitchen when I bought it, so I got one in blonde beech with chrome handles, yellow tiles and blue walls. Ive not got round to putting something up at the window though -I'm no good at curtains and blinds. It needs some proper substantial flooring as well, I just put down some of those lino type floor tiles but it could do with stone or slate

Its taking a while to renovate everything properly, as the boiler needed replacing a month after I bought it, and the outside needed a bit of work - its got a small private garden and I needed a new fence and a patio.

I need a new bathroom desperately, and I keep thinking this year I'll do that, but then me and Sam keep going on holidays instead! next year I'm due for a small endowment maturing, so I'm planning on the bathroom - but I dont fancy the disruption and sorting out the builders.

downstairs the main colours are blue, gold and cream

my bedroom is fawn and duck egg blue.

I'm not sure what taste or style Id prefer - I like a modern kitchen and bathroom, the rest - I like a lot of old stuff

sometimes you dont know how things are going to look until everything is together

Posts: 712 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds nice, Dawn Bev!

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com