EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Bottled water!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bottled water!
Lucky Luciano
Member # 16737

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky Luciano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What brand do you drink while in Egypt?
Do you brush your teeth with it or do you use tap water for that?
TIA

Posts: 380 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercalafragalistic
Member # 15631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercalafragalistic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when i was in sharm i used to drink whatever brand i got my hands on... In cairo we bought a water filter thingy but then i got used to the tap water... .even though it smells like chlorine
Posts: 1248 | From: my sex is on fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nestle or Aquafina

Brush teeth with tap water

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Warren Buffet
Member # 16750

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Warren Buffet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nestle and Aquafina are merely filtered, I prefer mineral water, SIWA!!! and yes, you can taste the difference. Only tempted to use bottled water to brush teeth, make coffee etc whilst in Cairo [as water there poisons me otherwise.]
An egyptian friend told me years ago that Baraka water tastes like dog poo. It really doesn't but every time I've drunk it, well .....

Posts: 14 | From: alex | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
drink tap, brush teeth in tap, cook with tap, shower with tap.

Baraka and some others will make you run warren, its the chemicals [Wink]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky Luciano
Member # 16737

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky Luciano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
drink tap, brush teeth in tap, cook with tap, shower with tap.

Baraka and some others will make you run warren, its the chemicals [Wink]

Daaaaaaaaaaamn! you are a trooper!
Posts: 380 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i drink the cheapest bottled water avaliable. its all the same. but avian or pure aqua are good.u get pure aqua from aldi's its a 24 pack for 3$
Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was there I like Siwa and Dasani.

Baraka is disgusting and gave me stomach problems.

I thought Dasani had the best taste.

Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tina kamal:
i drink the cheapest bottled water avaliable. its all the same. but avian or pure aqua are good.u get pure aqua from aldi's its a 24 pack for 3$

He's asking for the brand members are drinking while in EGYPT,Tina [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky Luciano
Member # 16737

Member Rated:
quote:
He's asking for the brand members are drinking while in EGYPT,Tina [Roll Eyes]

Shhhh.... she was dreamin' [Big Grin]
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
o well my bad...

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought whichever one came to hand first... np preferences for taste... as I didn't drink water.... mainly flavoured it with Tang!!

Cleaned teeth with tap water... and made tea or coffee with tap water!!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by mamasue:
I bought whichever one came to hand first... np preferences for taste... as I didn't drink water.... mainly flavoured it with Tang!!

Cleaned teeth with tap water... and made tea or coffee with tap water!!

love tang
Supercalafragalistic
Member # 15631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercalafragalistic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tang = flavoured sugar! i could feel my teeth rotting!
Posts: 1248 | From: my sex is on fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dont worry lumpy, you can borrow mine [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercalafragalistic
Member # 15631

thanks ayisha,now i'm back in uk i've got sugar free robinsons!!! and my electric tooth brush!! i'm back to civilization! [Big Grin] .... and nhs dentists
GBA
Member # 14862

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GBA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read somewhere that half the bottle water in Egypt was unfit for consumption.

Aquafina takes awful like distilled water (probably is), Nestle is ok but again no taste.

San Pelegrino and Perrier are available [Smile]

Posts: 140 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lumpy butt:
tang = flavoured sugar! i could feel my teeth rotting!

And it tastes disgusting imo. I can't stand sweet, fizzy drinks and am sure I've offended quite a few Egyptians who tried offering me cola or lemonade in summer. I'd rather drink the yucky chlorinated tap water than that over-sweetened stuff.

As for safety of bottled water in Egypt:

http://egyptianstories.blogspot.com/2007/12/egypt-bottled-water-unsafe.html

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cloudberry
Member # 11163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cloudberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am painfully aware that bottle water is not safe. In Finland it is obvious, we have very good tab water and there used to be a campaign against bottled water. It is worse than tab water, it makes lots of garbage and it costs more. In addition bottles are plastic and especially in this Egyptian weather it is not safe way to store water. Glass is safer.

But how is tab water in Egypt? Any links to any information??? Is it supposed to be safer than bottled?

I've intended to research whether it would be better to get a filter and which is a good one. Some particles might be so small even a filter doesn't help - I really don't know.

It's not quite the same what you drink, water is daily necessity.

Posts: 758 | From: Finland | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maya81
Member # 13894

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maya81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is it safe drink tap water in 6th october?
Posts: 8 | From: egypt | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any tap water in Egypt is safe if you buy an American water filter that you can hook onto the tap, the only reliable one is called Aqua Pure, it comes with 2 types of filters, get the active carbon thing, since it will definitely filter out odor and taste(CHLORINE)and rust, as well as whatever comes your way.
ACTIVE CARBON FILTER

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found a great site a few months ago when we were researching what were the best bottled waters to drink here in Egypt since I don't drink the tap.

http://www.pmgeiser.ch/mineral/index.php?func=country

You can search by country, by brand name, and it shows the contents of the water and how it's rated by people. There are tons of brands and we really found the contents listing of what was in the water to be helpful.

Whether the water actually contains what is stated, that's another matter and we can't really know I guess.

I stick to Nestle, but will drink Siwa mineral or Aquafina if I have to, though I don't like it.

I never drink the bottled water they give you when you go to a cafe. I will never drink Baraka or a few others.

I do brush my teeth with the tap and of course shower in it, but I've had no problems. I just don't care for the smell or the taste of it.

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baraka's my favourite, its the only bottled tap water. [Big Grin]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cloudberry
Member # 11163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cloudberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LovedOne:
I found a great site a few months ago when we were researching what were the best bottled waters to drink here in Egypt since I don't drink the tap.

http://www.pmgeiser.ch/mineral/index.php?func=country

You can search by country, by brand name, and it shows the contents of the water and how it's rated by people. There are tons of brands and we really found the contents listing of what was in the water to be helpful.

You can see the contents on the bottles too, but this is not what worries me. Bottled water can contain bacteria, water is not necessarily that clean. And especially if you store that open bottle a long time. My mom, who is taking care of elderly people, told me that some old people buy bottled water because they think it is safer than tab water but as they drink so little they can keep this opened bottle on the table or in the fridge for days, not good.

Not to mention you keep water bottles in cars in this heat in Egypt or carry one with you when you are out and about for long time.

Any bacterias are not listed on the bottles [Razz]

Posts: 758 | From: Finland | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tootsie
Member # 13946

Icon 10 posted      Profile for tootsie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Drink Aquafina or the non- alcohol apple beer

Brush teeth and cook with tap water

Posts: 365 | From: Canada | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tap water suits me.. it gets so dam hot I would drink my own pee if I had to.

As for bottled water, sure I drink it as water is water to my untrained palate but I do have trouble understanding that if it has ran through the mountains for millions of years why must it be drank within 3 days of opening!!!!

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that the non alcoholic apple beer still has some amount of alcohol in it.
I'm not 100% certain of this but I think they just consider it a small enough amount to call it non alcoholic, even with alcohol in it.

What is the brand?

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I once tried to take a shower with bottled water but my skin evaporated and I was drowning in the trickling water.

I'm never doing shrooms again. Not with bottled water at least.

Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com