EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Sheep Story

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sheep Story
samaka
Member # 9228

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for samaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I woke up last night around 3am to the sound of this really heavy breathing, like something out of a horror film. After thinking about it I went on the balcony to check if the dog was sick, but he was fine and wagging his tail. I could still hear this sinister noise though!

Finally, I went back to bed and decided that the guy in the flat upstairs must have a heavy cold. But it didn't sound like anything human.

This morning I finally found the culprit. Someone had a sheep in their garden. I always thought sheep went ba baaa and were not into heavy breathing?

Oh well, in a couple of days he will be another lamb to the slaughter!

Posts: 588 | From: an oasis near the pyramids | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think that is amusing. The sheep most likely suffered an illness and faces immediate slaughter because of the feast.

I'll never forget that night many years ago when a sheep and a gamuus in the backyard of my building made noises like they were talking to each other about their upcoming ordeal. It was horrifying for me to think that would be their last night.

Check out this:

http://twitter.com/Cairo_On_a_Cone [Frown]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samaka
Member # 9228

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Tigerlily, I spoke to an Egyptian man recently about the treatment of animals during Eid. He told me that even Mubarak would never be able to implement changes because it is the religion/culture of the people.

I don't like animals being ill-treated either, but finally decided that ranting and raving only gives you high blood-pressure.

Nowdays I try to accept that this is a different country and who am I to start applying European standards to the Middle East because I think I know better?

Sometimes I think that some, and I emphasise some, German people can be incredibly abrupt and humourless, but I am not out on a crusade to change the whole nation.

Live and let live.

Posts: 588 | From: an oasis near the pyramids | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The pleasant massacre of sheep

28 November 2009 in Op-ed
By Dalia Ziada

It is Eid el-Adha again! Kids wearing new clothes, adults conducting Eid prayers as soon as the sun rises, and relatives, neighbors and friends exchange Eid salutes and congratulations with much happiness and excitement. Yet, the most important feature is the sheep and other sacrificial animals – e.g. buffalo and cow – slaughtered, literally, in every single street of Egypt.

Walking randomly in Cairo’s streets on the morning of the first day of Eid el-Adha might give you the impression that a massacre has taken place. Blood is poured into streets and you should be very careful while walking in order not to get wet. You also should cover your nose well in order not to get offended by the smell of flesh and blood coming from every house. Butchers are moving from one house to another with blood on their big knifes and white galabiyas.

As an essential ritual of Eid el-Adha, some might see such a blood bath as a reason for joy and celebration. Although I am a devout Muslim, I still cannot see this horrible scene but a group of bloody people killing innocent animals in a very savage, immoral, and unsanitary way. Seeing a sheep slaughtered in a previous Eid el-Adha, when I was a kid, is the reason why I do not eat. I am sure I am not alone in this!

A random thought came across my mind on the night of Eid el-Adha about the Egyptian government and the slaughtering habit. I expected – or wished – the Ministry of Health would prevent the slaughtering sheep and other animals outside licensed butchers. Since July, after the appearance of the H1N1 virus, or Swine Flu, the Egyptian government has banned most of the usual activities of people in similar religious celebrations and public places. For example, the government banned holding Sufi celebrations of the birthdays of some Sufi figures. This was very offensive to Sufis who had to cancel their celebrations for the sake of keeping public health. The government also banned smoking sheesha, or water-pipes, in several coffee shops, including those in tourist places, like Khan El-Khalily and the Hussein area. It is expected that such a ban would result in negative effects of tourism in the city.

Likewise, the Ministry of Health should have banned the random slaughtering of animals at citizen’s houses or in streets; not only for pollution reasons, but also for moral reasons.

Actually, it is absolute insanity to attribute such a habit of slaughtering at one’s home to their divine record of good deeds! Some might claim that this is about following the steps of Prophet Muhammad, who used to watch the sacrifice of animals slaughtered at his house. A very clear fact that people usually tend to ignore while trying to follow Prophet’s habits is that he lived in a Bedouin society, in the desert. Slaughtering sheep was something that happened all the time then.

Nevertheless, we are in the 21st century now, with all the professional, clean, and sterilized butchers. Why do we need to butcher animals at our houses, then? There is no logic in slaughtering animals in such a primitive way, which might cause the spread of infections and increase the possibility of the meat spoiling, no need to mention the sight of pollution. If it is a ritual, we should find safe and healthy ways to practice it.

On the morning of the first day of Eid el-Adha, while watching the sheep from my house and other houses in my street herded, without resistance, to a spot at the end of the street to be slaughtered, they reminded me of the submissive majority of my country, who are not willing to show any resistance against the tyrants who drive them, slowly but surely, to their definite end. Like sheep, they are stronger, but still do not want to resist the man driving them with a stick from behind or the man waiting for them with a big knife at the other end.

BM

http://bikyamasr.com/?p=6141

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On Friday morning I decided to walk to work, either way I go I pass a mosque so I knew I wouldnt avoid 'it'. As I got closer to the mosque I saw something wooly on the floor, so I carried on walking and stared directly ahead but as I passed the wolly thing jumped, it obviously wasnt dead. The men thought this very amusing especially as I, an apparent tourist, was walking past. I still stared ahead and carried on walking. Round the corner was another wooly thing having its coat removed, again the men thought it fun that I was walking past. round another corner another wooly coat, minus body, on the back of a bike while the guy on the bike was singing 'ayz shisha'.

All I could wonder was where was the 'religion', where was the respect in all this?

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samaka
Member # 9228

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A year ago I went to the local shops during the summer months and saw a sheep lying not far from the mosque in the blazing heat in obvious distress. It was tethered and had no food and water. 'I just wondered to myself, 'What are the people thinking about'

This is not Luxor, this is a compound in 6th Oct, where the people drive 4 x 4 cars and some even has business practices in the Edgeware Road! They have seen a different way of life and I know you have to leave your own country to get a different perpective on things.

I have been trying to accept this is a different culture, but I have failed miserably. There is NO excuse for CRUELTY TO ANIMALS

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com