EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Okay foreigners, how do you like role reversal now?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Okay foreigners, how do you like role reversal now?
kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for kimo_the_maniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I noticed that the nature of ES has changed quite a bit. We still get the usual moan from the disgrunteled Russian about not getting enough true love to convert to Rubels, but something has changed.

You have many threads cropping up with Egyptians moaning for a change. Moaning about how you khawagas are moaning. Bitching about you stealing Egyptian men (a sentiment not uncommon in middle and upper class Egypt). Moaning just in general. And often picking fights with specific people.

So how do you like it? Dull? Too personal? Well, guess what, that's how it was (and probably will remain) for most Egyptians on ES. You are always negative about us, always complaining, always generalising, always stereotyping. I know it's mostly good natured, that most of you post out of real concern, and that you don't mean "all Egyptian men" when you say "Egyptian men". But now you see how this can get a tad irritating. Also the personal attacks are something that you mostly do, many Egyptians were chased away from this board by the snide remarks and sniping of western posters who gang up on them. Remember that guy who posted he wanted an Internet relationship. Let's face it you can't tolerate an Egyptian who doesn't kiss up.

Anyway, just wanted to say that this is all ridiculous. Most people here take the board too seriously. So to Egyptians who feel obliged to defend their country, don't. This is just a board with a bunch of people posting mediocre stuff that only a few will read (and before anyone attacks, no my posts are not mediocre, they are utter BS, so piss off). To foreigners who feel physically threatened, harassed, and uncomfortable, just cool down. Personal attacks on the net can't be more trouble than what's happening in anyone's real life. And everyone who posts here is harmless, more bark than bite really. So just have fun.

Rant over.

Posts: 850 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a good rant. Cohesive. I agree with you entirely. (Although I was phased a while back, I will never be phased again. Akshar has the right arritude towards it all).

It comes back to the English language though. How many Europeans moan about Egyptians on an Arabic site? How many Europeans can write in Arabic?

Most people who post here are not really moaning at all. They are just desperate for some advice on how to cope with a situation that could have occurred in Turkey, India, Goa or Kenya. It just happens to have occurred in Egypt.

I spent a lot of time in Thailand and always on the way home I had my ear bent for hours by men who were in relationships with Thai women and then found that they were keeping them and their families and that the object if their desires had returned to her 'profession' while they were away. It was all the fault of the British Foreign Office for not letting them have a visa. I am sure that there is a similar site in English were British men compare their experiences and their problems.

Life's the same the whole world over.

[This message has been edited by Luxorlover (edited 14 July 2004).]

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to admit that I would be more than happy to be moaned about by men (only handsome please ) in ALL languages of our planet, and even whole Universe, what the heck.
Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asiaq
Member # 4323

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for asiaq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[This message has been edited by asiaq (edited 15 July 2004).]

Posts: 363 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lukoshko
Member # 3626

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lukoshko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kimo_the_maniac:
disgrunteled Russian about not getting enough true love to convert to Rubels,

It is also a stereotype.

We see not the best parts of each other's nationalities'. U don't know anything about other russian women, who don't go to the Red Sea and don't have anything with egyption gigolos.

Many russian girls and I (for example) don't know and don't see those "good egyption guy", which u are talking about. I know of course that they exist, but I only was in Hurgada and didn't meet them.

And some egyption guys and girls on the forum are very agressive towards Russian nationality. Without knowing me they can call me a slut....Only because I have different view on the subject and not afraid to express it. What should I think about egyption people after that?

But I still belive there are many nice people in Egypt and I still like Egypt very much.

Posts: 287 | From: Moscow Russia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for katrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kimo_the_maniac:
I noticed that the nature of ES has changed quite a bit. We still get the usual moan from the disgrunteled Russian about not getting enough true love to convert to Rubels, but something has changed.

You have many threads cropping up with Egyptians moaning for a change. Moaning about how you khawagas are moaning. Bitching about you stealing Egyptian men (a sentiment not uncommon in middle and upper class Egypt). Moaning just in general. And often picking fights with specific people.

So how do you like it? Dull? Too personal? Well, guess what, that's how it was (and probably will remain) for most Egyptians on ES. You are always negative about us, always complaining, always generalising, always stereotyping. I know it's mostly good natured, that most of you post out of real concern, and that you don't mean "all Egyptian men" when you say "Egyptian men". But now you see how this can get a tad irritating. Also the personal attacks are something that you mostly do, many Egyptians were chased away from this board by the snide remarks and sniping of western posters who gang up on them. Remember that guy who posted he wanted an Internet relationship. Let's face it you can't tolerate an Egyptian who doesn't kiss up.

Anyway, just wanted to say that this is all ridiculous. Most people here take the board too seriously. So to Egyptians who feel obliged to defend their country, don't. This is just a board with a bunch of people posting mediocre stuff that only a few will read (and before anyone attacks, no my posts are not mediocre, they are utter BS, so piss off). To foreigners who feel physically threatened, harassed, and uncomfortable, just cool down. Personal attacks on the net can't be more trouble than what's happening in anyone's real life. And everyone who posts here is harmless, more bark than bite really. So just have fun.

Rant over.

when was I negative and disrespectful of Egyptians, Sir? I have not been to Egypt yet, and such rants of yours making huge generalizations based on nationality here do not make a good impression

[This message has been edited by katrina (edited 14 July 2004).]

Posts: 995 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TallTom
Member # 4488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TallTom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about role reversal on this board, but role reversal in general has been on my mind lately. Standing out wherever I go, mostly out of the language loop, not knowing when I can trust the authorities, nodding to other whities I pass on the sidewalk as if we had some kind of shared understanding. Interesting experiences.
Posts: 24 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So true Tom, so true. At least I hope you are not wearing tight clothes...
Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lori
Member # 2390

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lori     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kimo!!!! Habibi!!! How can you pick THAT thread to rant about? This is really quite funny.

The thread of the guy who posted a personal ad was removed at YOUR request. Together with good posts, among which a post it took me 1/2 hour to write.

This is so hypocritical of you I have no words for it.

I hope you enjoy the paedophiliac thread with long unintelligible posts. Such a positive change from the post of a man looking for an adult woman for a relationship that is not sinful or condoned by any religion. It really raises the level of the entire board.

Posts: 251 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimo_the_maniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lori:
Kimo!!!! Habibi!!! How can you pick THAT thread to rant about? This is really quite funny.

The thread of the guy who posted a personal ad was removed at YOUR request. Together with good posts, among which a post it took me 1/2 hour to write.

This is so hypocritical of you I have no words for it.

I hope you enjoy the paedophiliac thread with long unintelligible posts. Such a positive change from the post of a man looking for an adult woman for a relationship that is not sinful or condoned by any religion. It really raises the level of the entire board.

Lori ... habibti. Why did you take that so seriously. Anyway FYI I didn't ask for that thread to be removed, I don't know who, and I don't care to know even though I posted in that thread. In fact I posted in that thread in defence of the guy!!! The thread I asked to be removed was one *I* started, I would never have someone else's thread removed.

Yalla, and stop taking it so seriously. Many of my posts were deleted in the removed threads and I don't really mind.

Posts: 850 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lori
Member # 2390

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lori     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you're right Kimo. But really, everything here is sooo subjective. That guy - whom we both defended - placed an ad. No one knew him, no one had ANY reason to believe he was lying or anything.

But since we are dipped in this poisonous "Egy men are so bad" air floating like anthrax on this site, many people drew him away. And look at what remained - wrong and bizarre sexual practices, con games, swindling, lies, cheating and deceipt. All over and over, names are changed but the stories remain.

Is this really Egypt? For me, I've been there, kept my heart and my money (apart from what I left at the Papyrus Institute, but that work of art is now on my wall). But what are the others thinking? Those who have never been to Egypt, and who, thanks to this website, think Egyptian people are cheaters and liers.

And let's not forget the many Egyptians who think foreign women are stupid, superficial, only care about clothes and makeup and sex - not necessarily in that order. Sometimes they are not even technically rude, but they give you THAT look and say "why explain this to you, you wouldn't understand".

And the list can go on.

This stereotyping is not doing anyone any good.

But let's all breathe free that the guy's ad is now off the board.

Ironic, and sad at the same time, if that's possible.

Posts: 251 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pinkmagic
Member # 4789

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for pinkmagic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are good and bad people everywhere in this world. I wish people would syop bitching each other and just be happy for each other!
Posts: 29 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lori:
Maybe you're right Kimo. But really, everything here is sooo subjective. That guy - whom we both defended - placed an ad. No one knew him, no one had ANY reason to believe he was lying or anything.

But since we are dipped in this poisonous "Egy men are so bad" air floating like anthrax on this site, many people drew him away. And look at what remained - wrong and bizarre sexual practices, con games, swindling, lies, cheating and deceipt. All over and over, names are changed but the stories remain.

Is this really Egypt? For me, I've been there, kept my heart and my money (apart from what I left at the Papyrus Institute, but that work of art is now on my wall). But what are the others thinking? Those who have never been to Egypt, and who, thanks to this website, think Egyptian people are cheaters and liers.

And let's not forget the many Egyptians who think foreign women are stupid, superficial, only care about clothes and makeup and sex - not necessarily in that order. Sometimes they are not even technically rude, but they give you THAT look and say "why explain this to you, you wouldn't understand".

And the list can go on.

This stereotyping is not doing anyone any good.

It is striking that balance between getting peoples hopes up and warning them off. The majority that post about their man you can see it coming a mile off and the last thing you want to do is raise hopes falsely. But again you do wnat to talk about the positive relationships. No real answer

I do think that these forums change their nature as new members come and go and it makes them more interesting sometimes and repetative other lol

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carleen
Member # 4311

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carleen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every now & then I'll go through old ES messages, and sometimes I'm completely shocked at what I read! Compared to what was going on late 2003/early 2004, I'd say things have improved here tremendously!
Posts: 310 | From: Maryland, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LiveItUp
Member # 4811

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LiveItUp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New forgeiner to area. I find the people here thus far nice enough, I have witnessed various street arguments which I find a bit rough, not having witnessed much of that in America in the South where I am from. It made me wonder why people so religious and supposedly non-violent get so angry right in public; for instance a car backed up because he had to in the narrow street to let a car come thru and nearly ran over a guys foot who was standing in the way on a cell phone (the young driver apparently didn't see the pedistrian) he jerked the driver by his collar screaming, people started coming over a fight started between driver and pedestrian. What's up with this anger with each other when I thought people here are peaceful. I've seen 5 situations already similar to this in the street just driving or walking by and I've only been here 2 months. It's a bit unsettling.
Posts: 395 | From: Whereever I go | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Street arugments are one of my main sources of entertainment. I can't go to the cinema in Luxor and there are few things to do other than shopping during the day - so when I am not working I watch the world go by from my balcony. It does not take long before one person threatens another - but that is usually as far as it goes. Lots of shouting, some gallebyya grabbing and then the matter is forgotten. Very entertaining, feelings are vented and nobody is hurt.

Much better than getting stabbed or beaten up in a European road rage or mugging incident.

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
luxorlover I couldnt agree more!! A good street argument is always fun, watching people get involved who have no idea what the original argument was about!!
In England, people get embarassed and pretend nothing's happening!!
Here.... everyone ploughs in!! very amusing!!
again, I've never seen anyone get hurt... just a lot of facing up and collar- grabbing!!!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
SAmia: I actually had a go at collar grabbing once. It was very effective - especially as it was a man that I grabbed. He really had offended me by picking up some legal papers of mine and refusing to give them back to me. As I was a woman he managed to completely ignore my verbal complaints. Collar grabbing made him think again. I got the papers back.

Egyptian women argue behind closed doors rather than in the street (I could hear them fighting in my village but I never actually saw them at it).

Egyptian men love their language and waging wars of words. The street arguments are just a way of letting everyone let of steam without causing any reallasting damage - even to anyone's feelings.

The last public ear bashing I got was from a stranger who caught me releasing a trapped rat in the street instead of killing it. (I'm afraid of rats and just could not tackle it). I apologised to him for my cowardice. He did not offer to kill the rat though he just went on his way feeling pleased with himself.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com