EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » English translations of the Koran

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: English translations of the Koran
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been reading the Penguin Classics translation of the Koran by N J Dawood which claims to have sold over a million copies world wide.

Then Another Newmember wrote this on the foods muslims can eat thread this week Quote:-

Mark don't confuse cultural traditions with religion. The Quran say both men and women are equal in the following verses:

3:195 "I shall not lose sight of the labor of any of you who labors in My way, be it man or woman; each of you is equal to the other "

4:32 "Men shall have the benefit of what they earn and women shall have the benefit of what they earn; and ask Allah of His grace; surely Allah knows all things"

4:124 " If any do deeds of righteousness,- be they male or female - and have faith, they will enter Heaven, and not the least injustice will be done to them."

So I thought I would just compare the translations with my book...only to find every verse is missing. I had not noticed before my reference numbers have gaps in them. (End of quote)

This makes my English tanslation a somewhat sexist version in that those paras refered to by Another Newmember all relate to women's rights in Islam. I am shocked to realise these translations that we are seeking to rely on to learn from are not complete and selective in what is included.

Any comments?
Penny

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a conversation with someone yesterday, and he recommended the penguin version to me.

Hm ...

I know that translations can differ to a great extent, but I never heard that whole verses are ommitted. Back home I have a two language version (Arabic - English) and I actually prefer that. If you're not sure if the translation is correct at least you can look at the original word and then look it up and see the different meanings.

[This message has been edited by Dalia (edited 10 October 2004).]

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Penny!

To be honest I have not seen the translation that you mention, but as in any reference book you should always look for the most reliable ones. All the translations/interpretations of the Qur'an have some weaknesses as they are attempts to interpet the Word of Allah in a language other than the original. But the most commonly referred to translations/interpretations of the Qur'an are "The Noble Qu'ran" by Muhammed Taqi-ud-Din Al-Hilali and Muhammed Muhsin Khan and "The Meaning of the Holy Qur'an" by Abdullah Yusuf Ali.

The first is a little bit heavy as it includes references to relevant Hadith and also gives more than one meaning to some of the Arabic words during the translation. Yusuf Ali wrote his translation during the British occupation of India and softened down some of his translations to make it more appealing to Christians. There was also had a heavy Sufi influence in the original versions, which the later editions published in Saudi Arabia removed. There is also a new revised translation by Saheeh International that had tried to make the Muhsin Khan translation more readable which I quite like.

Sadly we will never get a true translation of the Qur'an in English as they are all done by human beings who have their own perspective on the religion that will influence their work, that is why it is so neccessary to try to learn Arabic to read the original words. Until then, it's useful to have several translations available so at least you can compare them.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the Oxford University Press translation by Arthur J Arberry, (1964) and those verses are missing from that version too.

There must be a reason other than sexism for their omission as it has occurred in two different translations.

[This message has been edited by Luxorlover (edited 10 October 2004).]

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have found them Penny. In my translation the verses are given in groups of 5. All the quotes above are there but in slightly different wording.

3. 190 ............And the Lord answers them "Waste not the labour among you be you both male or female - the one of you is as the other.

4.35 ........To the men a share from what they have earned and to the women a share from what they have earned. Ask God for his bounty. God knows eerything.

4.120 .........And whosoever does deeds of righteousness, be it male or female believing - they shall enter Paradise and not be wronged a single date-spot.

If you keep looking Penny I think that you will find them in the groupings in your version too.

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JOSHUA
Member # 4946

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JOSHUA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny:
I have been reading the Penguin Classics translation of the Koran by N J Dawood which claims to have sold over a million copies world wide.

Then Another Newmember wrote this on the foods muslims can eat thread this week Quote:-

Mark don't confuse cultural traditions with religion. The Quran say both men and women are equal in the following verses:

3:195 "I shall not lose sight of the labor of any of you who labors in My way, be it man or woman; each of you is equal to the other "

4:32 "Men shall have the benefit of what they earn and women shall have the benefit of what they earn; and ask Allah of His grace; surely Allah knows all things"

4:124 " If any do deeds of righteousness,- be they male or female - and have faith, they will enter Heaven, and not the least injustice will be done to them."

So I thought I would just compare the translations with my book...only to find every verse is missing. I had not noticed before my reference numbers have gaps in them. (End of quote)

This makes my English tanslation a somewhat sexist version in that those paras refered to by Another Newmember all relate to women's rights in Islam. I am shocked to realise these translations that we are seeking to rely on to learn from are not complete and selective in what is included.

Any comments?
Penny

I raised this topic before, keep researching, you will be way more shocked just like myself at one time.

Posts: 321 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MohdAnwar
Member # 5528

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MohdAnwar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Any comments?
Penny

Hello Penny
i will give u a great source for Islam issues whatever it is Quran or Sunnah to see and read more than one translation the soucre is www.sultan.org
i am sure u will like it u will find a lot of things to read there

Posts: 435 | From: Cairo | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Luxorlover:
[B]I have found them Penny. In my translation the verses are given in groups of 5. All the quotes above are there but in slightly different wording.
-------------------
I see what you mean my groups though are quite erratic some 5 some 3 some 6. The different translations are interesting and in some cases confer a different meaning:-

LL' version:-
3. 190 ............And the Lord answers them "Waste not the labour among you be you both male or female - the one of you is as the other.

My Version:-
3.192............... Their Lord answers them saying 'I will not deny no man or woman among you the rewards of their labours. You are the offspring of one another
-------------------------------------------
LL's version
4.35 ........To the men a share from what they have earned and to the women a share from what they have earned. Ask God for his bounty. God knows eerything.

My Version
4.26.........men shall be rewarded according to their deeds and women shall be rewarded according to their to their deeds. Rather implore god to bestow on you his gifts. Surely God has knowledge os all things.
--------------------------------------------
LL's version
4.120 .........And whosoever does deeds of righteousness, be it male or female believing - they shall enter Paradise and not be wronged a single date-spot.

My version
.............. As for those that have faith and do good works, we shall admit them to gardens watered by running streams, and there sall abide for ever
--------------------------------------------
So really all these quotes are taken out of context to support women's rights and I completely take back my comment that my translation is in anyway sexist. It certainly is interesting however to compare the translations and the differing meanings confered.

Penny

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlittle
Member # 5105

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlittle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's up with all the religion on this board lately?

Are more Westerners, out of some false sense of post-colonial guilt, converting to Islam?

Posts: 33 | From: Beirut | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MohdAnwar
Member # 5528

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MohdAnwar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jlittle:
What's up with all the religion on this board lately?

Are more Westerners, out of some false sense of post-colonial guilt, converting to Islam?

May be they are awake or at least want to know why they are here in life and not just searching about fun and life issues

Posts: 435 | From: Cairo | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ge Ge
Member # 3868

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ge Ge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My version is translated by Majid Fakhry.

3.120 And whoever does some good deeds,whether male or female,and is a believer-those shall be admitted to Paradise and shall not be wronged a whit.
So different again.

Posts: 343 | From: Wiltshire, England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The verse numbers that AnotherNewMember wrote correspond to the Arabic verse numbers. I would guess that there should be something in the English translations that indicate a separation of the verses as they are all standardized. As Dalia mentioned, its useful to have a copy with the Arabic as well as this ensures that everything is included.
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megypt
Member # 5023

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Megypt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have very very serious reservations about the translation "The Noble Qu'ran" by Muhammed Taqi-ud-Din Al-Hilali and Muhammed Muhsin Khan.

This translation has added opinion based on the authors viewpoints regarding fiqh matters. They add this opinion in parentheses and it comes from one viewpoint on hadith. I do not consider this a proper way to translate the Quran. The added information is put in parentheses in the middle of the english text and someone who doesn't know the arabic or the issues and various viewpoints thinks it is from the text of the Quran itself. I consider it VERY misleading. I have had a LOT of experience with this version and my complaints about it come from personal experience with it. I have had many classes with non-muslims who get very confused by this translation. It is the version that is sent to the MSA's (muslim students association) in the USA and distributed free and this accounts for its 'popularity'. There are many people who have grave issues with this translation.

I would recommend reading 2 or more translations at the same time. Muhammed Pickenthall is very readable and yusuf ali is helpful due to its footnotes. There is another translation that came out in the last couple years because of the problems with the khan translation.

Posts: 25 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
The verse numbers that AnotherNewMember wrote correspond to the Arabic verse numbers. I would guess that there should be something in the English translations that indicate a separation of the verses as they are all standardized. As Dalia mentioned, its useful to have a copy with the Arabic as well as this ensures that everything is included.

In the arabic version are the verse numbers complete and does the verse always have the same number from one book to another?
In my English version for example in the cow it starts with 2:1 the the next number is 2:10 and I cannot see 9 separate verses inbetween. The next number is then 2:17.

I did look at my two arabic versions which are beautiful presents from my husband but it is a lost cause for me!!

Penny

newcomer
Member # 1056

Hi Penny!
Yes they are always separated and standardized, as they are in good translations, especially the ones that have two languages. It might be a good idea to look around for a more detailed one now you are wanting to look into Islam in more depth. As we have mentioned above its always useful to have a couple of different translations to try to help you have a more complete understanding of the original. It would be best to try to buy them from shops that specialize in Islamic books, rather than high street book sellers, as they will be able to give you better advice.

Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't you live in Cairo, Penny?

Dar el Shorouk on Taalat Harb has many different versions of the Qur'an in different languages. Might be worth checking out.

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia:
Don't you live in Cairo, Penny?

Dar el Shorouk on Taalat Harb has many different versions of the Qur'an in different languages. Might be worth checking out.

No my Egypt home is Sharm but we were planning on coming to Cairo in November so thanks for that. Our bookshop in Sharm always tells me 'it is coming next week' everytime I ask for anything no matter what it is!

AnotherNewMember
Member # 5014

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnotherNewMember     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Penny, One of the most useful translations I've found online has 3 different translations by Yusafali, Pickthal,and Shakir in English.

It even has the arabic (spoken transliteration) and as someone stated above, it's good to learn the arabic version and also to remember that anything in (parenthesis) are insertions and not exact translations.

But like you, I don't speak or read arabic, so we have to rely on the many English translations for now. And you and I both know how rich the English language is, where there could easily be 20 words with the same meaning..he he

This reference 3 translations side by side:
http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/

And this is the arabic(spoken-phonetic) transliteration: http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/transliteration/

But although word for word the translations differ, I think the underlying meaning is the same, it's definitely not as ambiguous as the Bible, as Jesus spoke a lot in parables, it made translations even more difficult, in my opinion.

Posts: 323 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megypt
Member # 5023

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Megypt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some translations of the Qur'an take verses that relate to each other in a paragraph form rather than each separated by a number.

Posts: 25 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Another Newcomer for the links. the one with three translations works well if a bit confusing on the brain. I find myself comparing the English rather than thinking about the meaning!

akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have

An Approximate Translation of the Meanings of
THE HONOURABLE QUR'RAN IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE

by Sheiikh 'izziddin al-hayek

Distributed by Dar al Fikr

this has all the verses you quote. I got it through a Syrian friend and have no idea how you could order it. The language is not natural English but I find it totally OK

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nefertiti
Member # 1628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nefertiti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Any comments?
Penny

Salam Penny,

The first Quran translation that i bought was by Dawood and it was quite confusing, shortly after i read a book that recommended translations to read and ones to stay away from. Dawood was mentioned as one to stay away from as his translations are generally biased and not very accurate! Infact i vaguely remember that it was said he is sexist in his translations.. so there you go.

I would suggest you get rid of his version and use one like Abdullah Yusuf Ali as suggested by Newcomer or Muhammad Pickthall as suggested by someones else. Also you can find Quran's that have the English, Arabic script and Transliteration on one page which is useful if you wanted to learn verses for praying. For example listen to a Quran recitation and read along using the transliteration. I'm not even sure if you are Muslim or not and if you can pray already or not! Good luck and Allah Ma'aki

Posts: 693 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Hi Penny and others!

Just did a quick search on the internet and came up with a page of brief reviews of most of the available translations/interpretations of the Qur’an that you might find useful. It explains who translated them and gives a quick comment about each one. You can find it at: http://alhafeez.org/rashid/qtranslate.html1956

This is what it has to say about N.J. Dawoud:
Dawood, N.J., The Koran (London, 1956). 11 edns. An Iraqi Jew. Speaks of the influence of Jewish and Christian teachings on the Prophet and condemning the traditional Sura order follows the chronological Sura order. Marred by serious mistakes of translation 'bani Adam" (al-Araf VII:31) is rendered as children of Allah [correct translation is 'children of Adam'], in Al-Baqarah II:191 'al fitnatu asyaddu minal qatl(i)' is mistranslated as 'idolatry is worse than carnage' [correct translation is 'oppression is worse than slaughter'].

Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Good morning Newcomer

That is useful. I shall definitely be getting a different translation. From what nefertiti says he is sexist after all! thanks everyone for all the recommendations.

Penny

DazedAndConfused
Member # 5216

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for DazedAndConfused     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to be missing the point or refuse to believe it.

-I don't understand how a translation of the Quran could be missing verses! I have on by Marmaduke Pickthall and although I haven't read it all, whenever I read it I find the verses I'm looking for.

-The verses MUST have the same number that is Sura "Al Imran" ( number 3) Ayat number 195 must appear in the translated version as 3-195
The same as it would appear in the Arabic version......simple and plain. They should not be gorouped either.If your translated version is missing verses or has the ayats numbered differently...get rid of it and get another one.

-The idea of dictionary is flawed, the words in Arabic as in any other language change in meaning with context. You really need to have a translated version(a good one) to understand the meaning of the ayat.

-The website http://www.islamicity.com has the best translation in my opinion, you can also listen to it. Even if you don't understand Arabic, it's a whole experience in itself.

-"3:195 And their Lord hath accepted of them, and answered them: "Never will I suffer to be lost the work of any of you, be he male or female: Ye are members, one of another"

The ayat is not about equality between men and women. It's about God promising believers " Gardens with rivers flowing beneath" .

You have to read the whole Sura and understand the context.

-"4:32 And in no wise covet those things in which Allah Hath bestowed His gifts More freely on some of you than on others: To men is allotted what they earn, and to women what they earn: But ask Allah of His bounty. For Allah hath full knowledge of all things."

I don't like the translation although it's better than what you have posted....I will check for clarification ASAP. In my opinion "allotted" is the correct translation the part I don't like is "earn". My understanding of the ayat is : We should not be envious of one another because what we possess. God gives as he wishes. He allotted to men what they got and to women what they got. That is be it a man or a women whatever we get is a gift from God and God knows best.

*edit* to clarify a little more: whatever we recieve in life be it a result of work or else it is a gift from God. So although we may all work hard God will reward us as he wishes and he knows best
-4-124 ayat is a good translation.

What you also need is Interpretation (Tafsir) of the Quran not just the translation.
I read Quran in Arabic and whatever I don't understand is not a matter of translation but interpretation. Same applies in any other language at the matter of fact it's more important to read Tafsir if you can't read Arabic.

[This message has been edited by DazedAndConfused (edited 11 October 2004).]

Posts: 75 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Good morning Newcomer

That is useful. I shall definitely be getting a different translation. From what nefertiti says he is sexist after all!

You could get Amina Wadud's "Qur'an and Woman - Rereading the Sacred Text from a Woman's Perspective" if you want a different perspective on things that might appear sexist.

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good site which gives 3 translations together http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/

The first Quran I read was the Penguin Classics, unfortunately I lent it to someone so I cant check on the verses. I read it knowing it wouldnt be perfect as its and english translation of the meaning of Quran but it gave me the basics and the desire to learn more.

Good site for learning to recite Quran http://www.reciter.org/ click on reciter in english and wait for it to load, you can learn 1 verse at a time, it repeats as many times as you want

------------------
I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trufai
Member # 5579

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trufai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=38872

translation problems !!
understanding problems!!

Posts: 4 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was told by the imam of the Central Mosque in London that the Pengiun Classics version is a really bad one!
Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com