EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Grandmother honored for wrestling crocodile

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Grandmother honored for wrestling crocodile
_XX_
Member # 10256

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for _XX_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SYDNEY (AFP) -- An Australian grandmother was honored with a bravery award for wrestling a giant saltwater crocodile as it dragged her friend from a tent.

Alicia Sorohan, 61, was awoken in the early hours of the morning of October 11, 2004 by the screams of family friend Andrew Kerr in a nearby tent at their campsite on the northern Cape York peninsular.

Seeing her friend in the jaws of a 4.2 meter (14-foot), 300 kilogram (660 pound) crocodile, Sorohan "did what anyone would do" and jumped on its back.

The man-eater then turned on her, breaking her nose and almost ripping her arm off before her son Jason shot it. "It was pretty scary. But it's one of those things -- if you see someone in trouble you've got to help them," Sorohan said. "He was a big one. But I would do the same thing again."

She still does not have full movement in her arm, which was "hanging by a thread". "I almost lost it. I've got two permanent plates and 12 screws in my arm. But I can do all I could do before -- where there's a will there's a way."

The family returned to the same campsite last October. "Why not keep going back? There's risk everywhere. You could get run over by a bus if you walk across the road." But, she added, "I was told to behave myself and protect the wildlife this time."

Sorohan was one of three people awarded Australia's Star of Courage, which recognizes citizens for acts of outstanding bravery.
http://www.tehrantimes.com/Description.asp?Da=2/28/2006&Cat=5&Num=3

Posts: 375 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Still-Learning
Member # 9153

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Still-Learning     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How deep did you dig to find this one ???
Posts: 1473 | From: France | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corvinous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love or Stupidity.

--------------------
No papa! No mama! No whisky soda!

Posts: 3903 | From: The Moon | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melati
Member # 9610

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We had a baby crocodile in the lagoon near where I live. It was tiny, a salt water one. They are not native to this area. Must have been brought here after a camping trip in Northern Territory by some boy and then his dad found out and they dumped it in the lagoon?( which flowes to sea). So a croc huntewr went underwater , swimming on his back underneath the crocodile and grabbed him. All the fuss and it was no bigger than from your elbow to your wrist.
It probably would have died in the winter here though.

Posts: 872 | From: Sydney | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com