EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Wedding Gift

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wedding Gift
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 5 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my friends is getting married and I would like to take a wedding gift with me when I visit Egypt in a couple of weeks time.

What might be considered an appropriate gift from England? (I'm rubbish at present-choosing at the best of times).

It needs to be something small and light enough to tote around in a backpack for over a week before I will meet up with him to give it to him.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You haven't mentioned your budget

But you said small and light..

A tie

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL - you don't mean that do you? My budget isn't particularly important (but not TOO much) but I meant something for the couple not just him.
What sort of presents do egyptians normally get for weddings?

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by oldbag:
LOL - you don't mean that do you? My budget isn't particularly important (but not TOO much) but I meant something for the couple not just him.
What sort of presents do egyptians normally get for weddings?

Well I am serious!

Egyptians take money for a wedding present if it's from their family members and very close friends.

But they would appreciate anything from a foreign friend. It's just the thought that counts.

I mean what's wrong with a tie?

It could come in very handy if his wife is the talking type [Big Grin]

(PS Get her lingerie.. She will love you and will not be jealous of your being around her man)

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never met her so I don't know how big she is to get lingerie - unless I can find something where fit is less crucial.
Hm not sure about ties.. the only time I ever saw him in a tie is in one of those posh passport style photos which was either for his passport or for passing round to the mothers of potential fiancees.

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
get them some silver for the house, its a very popular wedding gift in egypt [Smile]
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karla
Member # 5472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karla         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something traditional English would be nice. In Romania we have special shops for traditional objects.
Here it's a link for to see:
http://www.dracula.metsoft.ro/obiecte_lemn.htm

Posts: 1414 | From: far away | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tootifrooti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A fancy gift set of scented body oils, massage oils, candles, like something from Lush, Jo Malone, L'occitane or Body Shop. So they can both use them in the bedroom ( on the Honeymoon )!!!!.

[Razz]

Posts: 1500 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by tootifrooti:
scented body oils, massage oils,

They will cook with it and die.
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

quote:
Originally posted by 7ayat- nefsi fe sobya:
get them some silver for the house, its a very popular wedding gift in egypt [Smile]

I like that idea - maybe a silver photoframe?

I would be a bit too embarrassed really to get anything intimate.

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah a photoframe, or silver ornaments to decorate the house with
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
maybe a silver photoframe?

They are cheap to get in Egypt.
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

quote:
Originally posted by MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari:
quote:
maybe a silver photoframe?

They are cheap to get in Egypt.
OK cheers - I'll have a look and see if I can see something peculiarly 'english' in style otherwise wait til I get there save carrying something about!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com