EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » cost of an MRI scan in Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: cost of an MRI scan in Egypt
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just been told I have to have an MRI scan of my ankle and its going to cost about £500 - £700 and its not covered by insurance. Anyone know the cost in Egypt as I'll be there in 3 weeks time.

Ta

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oldbag, I don't know for sure because it depends on where you go. If you go to an academic hospital (Qasr El-Aini or Ain Shams University Hospitals) it should be very cheap. But I would say it would cost about £ 50-100.

What happened to your ankle if I may ask?

Salamtek anyway.

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MK the Most Interlectual:
Oldbag, I don't know for sure because it depends on where you go. If you go to an academic hospital (Qasr El-Aini or Ain Shams University Hospitals) it should be very cheap. But I would say it would cost about £ 50-100.

What happened to your ankle if I may ask?

Salamtek anyway.

I wish I knew! Out of the blue, in November, I was walking in a park with a friend and got a sudden excrutiating pain in the middle of right ankle in November that lasted a few days. Then in the past few weeks I've developed mysterious bumps on both ankles that look like new ankles and general swelling! And then a for the past 3 weeks a feeling like having an icecube parked right in the middle of an ankle which this morning moved up my leg an inch!

To cut a very long story short, I've been forced to go private to get it looked at. I saw an orthapaedic physician this afternoon who ultrsonically scanned my ankles and the bumps are not attached to bones, ligaments or in the veins, they're just there (at least its not arthritis, or a deep vein thrombosis waiting to get me!) - he did give them a name - stray scar tissue or something like that n...a ??? He couldn't see anything deep in the ankle but is concerned about the way I describe the sensation and said I need the MRI scan. There is little chance of me every getting it done on the NHS.

The internet has at least not indicated fatal diseases - all I've been able to track down on 'cold ankles' is diabetes (not got), arthritis (don't appear to have following exam. today), magnesium deficiency (have been dosing self on magnesium tablets for a week!).

Any enlightment gratefully received!

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
homing pigeon
Member # 8039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for homing pigeon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just sounds like sprained ankles, oldbag....fluid collects sometimes when u sparain them

--------------------
Noha

Posts: 670 | From: alex living in leeds, UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know its not the same but if it helps on prices my husband had a CT scan last year for less than £100. Think that would be on a par with MRI scan in UK.
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ..     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MRI scans at Al Salam International hospital cost £400. Am told it is a fairly good hospital too.

Are much cheaper at others but have heard some scary stories of docs here reporting scans and radiology so incorrectly.

Posts: 854 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
countessa_2007
Member # 13069

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for countessa_2007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can get an MRI for as little as 150LE!

I was referred for an MRI by Maghrabi Hospital and it cost 1000LE....

My advice would be to go to one of the large private hospitals instead of a small independent lab.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com