EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Translation of English word plz

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Translation of English word plz
Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone tell me the arab word for the English word oinment? I have an Egyptian friend who got burnt and he disinfects the wound with Dettol. Sounds strange to me [Eek!] .
I wanted to advice him to buy an oinment to put on the burns (not soo bad but still...) but he did not understand what I meant. Can anyone put the translation here?
Thx in advance. [Smile]

Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for south_london_male   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MARHAM
Posts: 1373 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks [Smile] .
Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VanillaBullshit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dettol is used to clean the bathroom, not disinfect wounds or treat burns; is this person mentally challenged or do they just enjoy smelling like Dettol?
Posts: 2404 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalila : )
Member # 14517

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalila : )         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey vanilla its probably cos it says antiseptic on the bottle ! lmao lord that must sting [Eek!]
Posts: 3945 | From: ' Res Contr ' Amor non es guirens, lai on sos poders s'atura | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
messenger
Member # 15059

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for messenger         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dettol is used to disinfect cuts. Not saying it was the right thing to use for a burn but it is used for treatment of some types wounds.

http://www.amazon.com/DETTOL-First-Aid-Antiseptic-Liquid/dp/B000GCRX6G

Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A grandmothers solution: the white of a raw egg. It takes away the pain and heals.

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for south_london_male   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the best method when you get burned is to put an ice on the burns ( I know it sounds strange but it is medically approved ) or you can put very cold water , also many people use tooth paste ,these mentioned methods , should be used as soon as the burns happen any way
Posts: 1373 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DG, please tell you friend to visit the pharmacy and they can advise him. If he has a stronger burn he needs to go to the hospital.

http://health.yahoo.com/emergency-burn/burns/healthwise--burns.html

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the skin is not broken then a VERY weak Dettol solution or another antiseptic is good to clean it and then put a non adherent dressing on it, like Melolite, or a Mepore dressing.

Ointment should NOT be put on burns. Nor anything greasy, or oily.

Germoline, savlon cream, dettol creams should NOT be used on burns even though it says so on the packet.

Burns need to be kept dry to form a crust and for the layers underneath to form.
Once the crust has formed then it is a good idea to use something like E45 to rub in sparingly to keep it a bit flexible till it drops off and the new skin is underneath comes through.

If you have a burn you should keep it in cold water for 20 mins without taking it out to check.

Never put anything oily on it and wrap it in clingfilm till you get to the hosptial.

If you have a DEEP burn you need to use silver sulfadiazine cream. A thick layer with a wad bandage changed each 2 days will heal it. Deep burns are the only ones to put cream on.

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Thanks for all your posts and concerns. [Smile]
I have told him to visit the pharmacy and read the advice on ES himself. [Wink]
Going to the hospital was not necessary cause it was really not that bad.

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mom always said to never put anything greasy on a burn, too, said to let it 'breathe'.
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aloe juice from the plant helps great
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use 'Quark' (curd cheese???).
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
put aloe vera.

about the dettol. reminds me of the dad in the film My Big Fat Greek Wedding. used kleenex on everything [Big Grin]

Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com